Processing Time SS Benefit

LauAnn

Recycles dryer sheets
My dad passed away October 6. Mom has still not had her Social Security monthly payment adjusted to reflect dad's higher amount. When I called the local SS office they indicated it was in the works and in the meantime sent Mom a check for $750 to help her out until things were finalized.

Is it time for a follow-up call to local SS office, or should I give it another couple of months?

She should have received a letter explaining how the $750.00 check was derived. Was this for the $255.00 lump sum death benefit and $165.00 extra per month that she was due for Oct, Nov and Dec? If not, then I would definitely not wait another couple of months. The claim should have been processed by now.

Our local Social Security office is very efficient. They go through all the obituaries every day--marking their records for the deceased. But they also like to receive copies of death certificates before changing benefit amounts--up or down.

If I have any questions, I just run by. Our office quickly gets to the bottom of any problem.

Recommend you take the time to go to a SS office. They can research the problem and correct it.

Back
Top Bottom