Best CD rates in the country ?

OneDay

Recycles dryer sheets
What are the best current CD rates you've found with no maximum on the amount deposited, seems there are plenty that offer really good rates that cap the CD at $15,000 or $20,000. The best rate I've found is GE credit union at 2.75%, but I'm not eligible for membership, lol.

Have you checked www.depositaccounts.com? They show 5 yrs@ 2.32 for Melrose FCU. Most of the places I know of have dropped significantly in the last 2 months. Search for the forum thread High(er) CD Rates and check some of the other suggestions there.

Have you checked www.depositaccounts.com? They show 5 yrs@ 2.32 for Melrose FCU. Most of the places I know of have dropped significantly in the last 2 months. Search for the forum thread High(er) CD Rates and check some of the other suggestions there.
Despite a better than current best 2% for 5 years CD, Melrose CU is weak financially with only 2 star current rating, they had losses from small taxi licenses loans, that is the reason of higher rate. Yet the CD will be insured.

What are the best current CD rates you've found with no maximum on the amount deposited, seems there are plenty that offer really good rates that cap the CD at $15,000 or $20,000. The best rate I've found is GE credit union at 2.75%, but I'm not eligible for membership, lol.

Wow, 2.75% would be great! But I'm not eligible either. I suppose I'd recommend jumping on the Melrose 2.32% 5 year CD. I almost did, but I decided to stay with my 1.83% 5 year at my own credit union, since half a percent doesn't actually amount to much, based on the principal amount I'm thinking of. It's true Melrose is having defaults of taxi drivers in NYC due to the Uber competition. But the cd would be insured by NCUA of course.

I was lucky enough to get in on the 3 % PenFed frenzy of a couple years ago. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I really wonder what PenFed will be doing this December to keep our deposits.

You may be right... in which case... back to Vanguard... it was nice while it lasted.

You may be right... in which case... back to Vanguard... it was nice while it lasted.

They offered 1.5% CD's for 15 months earlier this year and I grabbed a couple. That's the best I have seen from PenFed since the 3% ones.

I thought PenFed, at one time, anyway, was offering existing cd holders the same rate for renewal. As in, if your 3% CD is expiring, we'll let you renew it at 3%. NO?

We are still happy with our 5 year 3% CD(s) from Pen Fed. They expire in 2019, we may be miserable then. We are living off the income.

You are correct... I was confused on the dates... mine don't mature until Dec 2018 (for some reason I had 2016 in my head), so that is good. IIRC I originally went for the 3 years and then switched to the 5 year. Glad that I did.

I thought PenFed, at one time, anyway, was offering existing cd holders the same rate for renewal. As in, if your 3% CD is expiring, we'll let you renew it at 3%. NO?

I don't ever recall that deal and I monitor Penfed closely. They had a special reserved for maturing CDs but the rates were a bit lower. What I've noticed is limited offers for oddball maturities like 15 or 39 months. It seems like they expect rates will be lower in 15 months!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

NASA FCU still has 2% 49 months. Membership is open.

After reading the start of this thread, I had to go check the maturity on my PenFed CD's. Mine mature in Dec. 2018, so 2 1/2 years to go.

I picked up 2% 5 year CDs at Langley Federal Credit Union back in January.

My 7 year 4%'s at a regional bank come due this November though. :(.
My 5 year 5% already matured. :(, :(.

Who would have thought back in 2008 we would be at these interest rates.

I feel like a squirrel running around burying nuts in a bunch of places just to get more than 0%

If you have IRA Monies available, you can transfer to Andrews Federal Credit Union and get 3% for 84 months. I moved monies from Vanguard IRA with minimal issues.

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD

I understand and have thought rates would have increased for a while now. I have found a 2% 33 month CD.

I'm pretty sure people thought the same 3 years ago.... and sounds like many are now glad they chose the 5-yr CD.
+1. The Feds are only talking about raising the rate while economy is not there for it. Yet what might force them is a lower world dollar demand due to re balancing of the SDR (IMF) currency basket -a potential higher inflation here.

Back
Top Bottom