OMG.. I am FIRED!!!!

willowbeezer68

Confused about dryer sheets
Had it with work and sent in my resignation letter. Wanted to hang on for 6mths to pick up another equity vesting, but I couldn't take it anymore.

Anyways, life is much less stressful now! Keeping busy actively managing my investments.

DW is going back to school, daughter looking at colleges (private - urgh), two youngest ones are in elementary school - so I am kinda nervous with no regular income. On the other hand, I have no mortgage and Firecalc say's I am okay. In any rate, since I am 48 with pretty solid mid-exec level experience I am sure I can return to the workforce and pull in $150K - $200K if I needed to.

So far, I liquidated my portfolio (great timing - I avoided the recent market slide) and started swing / day trading. I have done this several years ago - with decent results - I am fairly conservative and disciplined in my trading. So far, I have pulled in much more than my previous full time salary. So far, so good...

Wish me Luck!

By the way, I love this forum. I look forward to learning from the active members and hopefully can contribute!

Congrats on your retirement!

And, since we'd like to see it last, please stop swing/day trading.

:angel:

You're super brave or crazy, not sure which...I understand money set aside for gambling/trading, but the whole retirement portfolio put on a roulette?!?

Congratulations!

You have more guts than I to daytrade the funds you need for daily expenses... but I'm a wuss. If it works for you - more power to you.

Congrats on the ER. I've known a couple of others who quit their jobs and started trading. They're also known as "employees". Good luck with it, but no way I'd do it.

Welcome!

In my case I stopped all the day trading / Futures etc when I voluntarily FIRED.

I figured I had won the game at this point (due to LBYM not trading) and didn't want to reverse my fortunes.

YMMV

-gauss

Last edited:
I love your optimism WB68! I'm thinking you are pushing your luck though supporting your wife and daughter in college with day trading in the long run. I'd say 95% of the folks in this forum are probably looking at your plan in horid facination.

I'm 47 with DW just partially retired--doing 5 more years in the Army Reserves to be vested in a pension, 4 girls total with 2 of them in college, and there is no way my DW would let me go back to active trading...I been there and got the t shirt, and wouldn't even want to at this point when several lives or at least lifestyles are dependant on me.

Without my sins of my 20s/30s, thinking I was going to get rich quick by trading, our NW would have been in a lot better shape and I might have joined DW in her happy, happy semi RE life.

The good news is that in my 40s I sobered up and stopped gambling with my portfolio and plan to do the FIRE dance next year when I've reached your ripe old age!

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, I do wish the best, I sincerely hope day trading doesn't cost you everything. To me the highs weren't worth the lows, I made some good returns and lost even more..

With my sister and I in college at the same time, my father told me that our big city public university was good enough.

My best friend's two children benefited from the finest of private educations and colleges. Ole Jim's having to work until he's 70 years of age while all his buddies retired in their 50's.

Welcome! :flowers:

If you truly are FI, personally I wouldn't be inclined to risk that status with day-trading. There is no significant upside.

ince I am 48 with pretty solid mid-exec level experience I am sure I can return to the workforce and pull in $150K - $200K if I needed to.
Maybe. :cool:

So far, I liquidated my portfolio (great timing - I avoided the recent market slide) and started swing / day trading. I have done this several years ago - with decent results - I am fairly conservative and disciplined in my trading. So far, I have pulled in much more than my previous full time salary. So far, so good...
Congrads from another swing trader. (As you probably already know, you won't find a lot of us here or least many that will admit it) I've been doing this for many years with my gambling stash as a sideline hobby but I have a lot more time to play the market now that I'm retired. So far, since retiring, I've never had a down year, but that's been easy in the past 5 years.

Congrads from another swing trader. (As you probably already know, you won't find a lot of us here or least many that will admit it) I've been doing this for many years with my gambling stash as a sideline hobby but I have a lot more time to play the market now that I'm retired. So far, since retiring, I've never had a down year, but that's been easy in the past 5 years.

I don't think anybody would complain about day/swing trading a stash of money, but not THE stash of money. I and many others here have a gambling account we play with, to greater and lesser degrees of success. But to RE and then bet the house based on the recency bias of a roaring bull market? Not wise, and not great advice.

I don't think anybody would complain about day/swing trading a stash of money, but not THE stash of money. I and many others here have a gambling account we play with, to greater and lesser degrees of success. But to RE and then bet the house based on the recency bias of a roaring bull market? Not wise, and not great advice.
OP's wording sounded like he liquidated the entire portfolio. Good luck, who am I to say it is wrong?

My neighbor did the same thing when he ER'd in 2006. He lost his house in 2009. But he was a bit crazy and leveraged the house to play the market, buy toys, etc. Not saying this will happen, but it can.

I don't think anybody would complain about day/swing trading a stash of money,

On this board, I can't agree with that. "Some" (a few) seem almost fanatical against such trading.

But to RE and then bet the house based on the recency bias of a roaring bull market? Not wise, and not great advice.

Fully agree. Matter of fact, I would not have RE if I had to "depend" on any market returns. To me, any profits from day trading (gambling) or long term "investing" is just extra cash.

Last edited:
Thanks for the counsel. So far the trading has been fairly consistent. but nothing to write home about. At least, I avoided the minor pullback in the market. overall, investment gains were about $20K in the last month (vs. losses in the market if I were fully invested). Not a big deal but better than a sharp stick in the eye.

I am just looking for $1K a day.. some days, I pull in $5k, others I lose $5k but have more winners than losers.

I do appreciate the "why even bother" aspect of this.. which is a very valid point. I am just going through a little bit of income withdrawal.

Oh well, its just 1 month in!

Jealous, but thrilled for you! Cannot wait to pull the plug. Best wishes for a long and satisfying retirement!

good luck to you with the day trading - not for me but some have been known to be quite successful at it

:bow:

Back
Top Bottom