As if defining longevity risk isn't enough along comes a study...

LARS

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
... that says if you suffered acne in your youth you will live longer. As to how much longer your stash as to last the researchers are silent...

A study of white blood cells taken from individuals affected by acne showed they had longer protective caps on the ends of their chromosomes.

Called telomeres, the caps can be compared with the plastic tips that stop shoe laces becoming frayed.

They help prevent the chromosomes, packages of DNA, deteriorating and fusing with their neighbours during cell division.

Acne sufferers live longer,  research suggests

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Sigh. This is what happens when a non-science journalist writes a headline without reading the original research paper. Of course, that's not unexpected in this world of click bait.

But I also understand that this thread is tongue-in-cheek, so let's keep it popping.

Last edited:
But I also understand that this thread is tongue-in-cheek, so let's keep it popping.

Indeed. As I've thought more on it, I was wondering if there is some sort of ballpark guideline akin to 25 times retirement expenses : such that you take the number of zits multiplied by a severity factor divided by the number of years afflicted with said acne to get an overall multiplier that can be applied to existing longevity tables. Thus, getting an estimate on how many more years you might live and the how much more one has to save.

That having been said, I am done worrying about this as I didn't have acne as a kid so no extra longevity risk for me...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Since there is speculation is some areas that the consumption of chocolate might generate acne, I am sitting here with a box of Snickers in an attempt to prolong my life - after all, as Marshall McLuhan said, "The XXXLarge is the message".

Chocolate is not the culprit for me. I eat at least 100 gm of chocolate a day (a habit from my twenties when I lived in Europe) and do not have acne. I also need to gain weight.

But also note that chocolate is good for you and lowers your blood pressure along with other documented benefits. I wonder if one of those effects is that it is slightly antibiotic, so the Staph and other microorganisms associated with acne don't get a purchase in/on your epidermis.

... that says if you suffered acne in your youth you will live longer. As to how much longer your stash as to last the researchers are silent...
Oh well, I'm toast. I didn't experience acne until I was nearly 30, and never more than 1-2 blemishes. My brother, on the other hand, had a very bad case. His friends called him "pizza face", it was so bad. We ate the same things every day except he couldn't have chocolate. So, I am skeptical about nutrition being labeled as the main cause of acne.

Hell! I still get a zit or two at age 73.

Looks like I'm gonna live forever. :dance: :dance: :LOL: :LOL::facepalm: :rolleyes:

heh heh heh - me and Clearasil have been the best of buddies since an early age. ;) Lucky the oily spot is on my back between the shoulder blades.

Says the mother to her low self esteem pizza face teenage son, "Tell the Home Coming Queen that you will be around forever to take care of her in retirement, long after her ace face football jock graces most of the pages of the high-school yearbook and spends all his money on fast women and fast cars".

Back
Top Bottom