Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pink pearl and number 2

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • other - specify

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters

bingybear

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Looks like tax software prices are jumping again or adding added fees compared to previous years. This is at least true for me. I have used several different packages over the years, but always a downloaded version. I just like to have the data on my computer and the ability to play with it to help me understand the sensitivities to different changes.
I'm curious what others are using. Have prices jumped to where you would go back to manual returns? Why do you choose one over another package? Other thoughts?

I will use either TurboTax or HRBlock ... whichever one I can get for free after rebates.

I have used both of these in the past, so I have no brand loyalty. They both work for me with 1040, Schedules A, B, C, SE, D, Roth conversions, Roth recharacterizations, education credits, foreign tax credit, etc.

I've been getting TT "free" from T. Rowe Price over the years so I will most likely continue to use it.

I've used TaxAct for the past few years.

Had a problem last year though with the Obamacare part of the return and the software got caught in a loop. Had to send my return to them so they could debug the problem.

I was uncomfortable with the experience at the time and figured I'd move on this year.... As a software guy myself I'm reconsidering that position in light of the fact of the whole Big Brother straight jacket mess. I wouldn't want to try and write software to handle it.

So TaxAct handled everything else just fine and will be considered in my assessment of what to use.

When will be able to file taxes on a 3x5 postcard?

Looks like tax software prices are jumping again or adding added fees compared to previous years.
Where do you see it? TurboTax 2016 Deluxe is listed at $60 right now on Amazon. According to this history data chart, TurboTax 2015 Deluxe was about this price at this time a year ago.

TurboTax Deluxe 2015 Federal + State Taxes + Fed Efile Tax Preparation Software - PC/Mac Disc (B01617VPUY) | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com

Then it went down to between $35 and $45 from January to April.

I use H&R block and will buy it whenever it drops in price to $25 or less for the Premium version.

I decided years ago to not use "cracked" versions, as I cannot really trust the hackers to keep the code clean and resist the temptation to add in a virus/keylogger.

Anyone know of other investment firms that hand out free ones ?

CPA.... A couple dozen rentals, inherited IRA's, income with respect to a decedent, the list of potential problems is endless.

I pay full price for TurboTax premier (CD version) every year and always will. Just love it. I can adjust all my numbers to plan for next year, I don't have to know tax law, just fill in the info and watch the dancing numbers.

....I decided years ago to not use "cracked" versions, as I cannot really trust the hackers to keep the code clean and resist the temptation to add in a virus/keylogger. ...

I bought a cracked version of TT last year... not intentionally but i had a sense that something was not right. I didn't have any trouble and no intrusions but I was uncomfortable enough that I'll spend the little extra $$ to get the offical version.

I pay full price for TurboTax premier (CD version) every year and always will. Just love it. I can adjust all my numbers to plan for next year, I don't have to know tax law, just fill in the info and watch the dancing numbers.

I don't pay full price - but it always goes on sale, and that's when I buy it. Costco has a sale every year, as does Amazon.

From what I can tell TT 2016 isn't even out yet - so I don't know where people are getting pricing.

Fidelity has been giving me a free TT Premier, so I'll wait for that. If they don't, I'll probably buy it at Costco when it goes on sale.

TT Deluxe. Paying now since no more freebie from Vanguard. I'll wait towards the end of the year and buy from Amazon.

I generally use TT but watch for it on sale. It's a once-a-year purchase so I don't worry about it much if I miss the sale.

H&R block is doing pre-selling, I received an email from them knocking $25 off the Premium price of $75. Which I feel is still too pricey.

Attachments

• 2016_11_13_13:06:36_001.png
    2016_11_13_13:06:36_001.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 24
Current lock in price for TaxAct is $18 for TaxAct Plus (includes itemized). I was upgraded to Premium for 2015, but it's overkill if you are not self-employed. Plus version covered all the schedules needed for itemized deductions.

Used H&R Block deluxe the last couple of returns. Will probably do the same this year. Never have been the recipient of a free copy.

are there any tax programs that work with linux? I recently had a fed up fit with windows and changed to ubuntu

Been using Turbotax for a long time, lately at a good discount through Fidelity.

I have used TurboTax every year for nearly forever. I'll probably buy the CD version from Amazon.

I don't want to change because I like it and it is familiar to me. Software that in any way eases my angst when doing taxes, is worth a few bucks extra.

Where do you see it? TurboTax 2016 Deluxe is listed at $60 right now on Amazon. According to this history data chart, TurboTax 2015 Deluxe was about this price at this time a year ago.

TurboTax Deluxe 2015 Federal + State Taxes + Fed Efile Tax Preparation Software - PC/Mac*Disc (B01617VPUY) | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com

Then it went down to between $35 and $45 from January to April.
Last year I used taxact and got it on a preorder for the downloaded version for $18,95 and got the primium with state. This year looks like $45 for a lower grade. It was either last year or the year before that TT has a large increase that had many up in arms. I did not check all prices for all products. But the price have been on the rise. TA increased this year even if I did not have a pre-order.

Current lock in price for TaxAct is $18 for TaxAct Plus (includes itemized). I was upgraded to Premium for 2015, but it's overkill if you are not self-employed. Plus version covered all the schedules needed for itemized deductions.

I believe TA is changing $25 for the state add on this year. Much more than previous years. On the download version it does not seem to be optional

are there any tax programs that work with linux? I recently had a fed up fit with windows and changed to ubuntu

I don't know of any that natively support linux. However I have run TaxAct in the past on linux with out issues. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom