$1,000,000 Achievement Unlocked

daystar

Recycles dryer sheets
With the latest upswing in the S&P 500, I reached $1,006,000 in net worth this month. My previous milestones were:

$100,000 in March 2003
$250,000 in December 2006
$500,000 in November 2011
$750,000 in March 2014

I graduated college in 2002 and got my first full-time job working for the Federal government in February 2003. I've been working for the government ever since. My starting salary was $32,000 in 2003 and is currently at $107,000. I am 37 years old.

The first $100,000 in net worth was due to stock gifts that my grandma had given to me during the 80's and 90's when I was growing up. For the most part, I haven't sold any of those stocks. I also received $153,000 in cash gifts from my parents from 2003 to 2016, which I haven't spent.

I would estimate that on my own, I saved and invested $600,000 from my job and the other $400,000 comes from the gifts I have received plus earnings on those gifts.

Keep it up! You are doing great! (but don't forget to live life too)

Congratulations! Keep up the good work.

You really think you'll stick it out to 2036 if you are in a position to retire sooner?

Congratulations! And to think, you've been on this board for 95% of the journey! This board instilled in me (and DW by proxy) a different outlook. At 42 (DW 41 in ten days) we have a seven figure NW and have a worst case scenario of 14 years for retirement, and haven't known "waiting until payday" in so many years. That's in no small part to this community. Sure, my grandpa who saved more than a million in his lifetime working as a state employee planted some seeds when we walked around his farm, but this site really helped make it grow.

You've been really fortunate with all the money you've received from your family, but you've really honored those gifts by making them grow so well instead of buying a fancy car with it! Grandma would be well pleased!

I'm still looking at 2036 for retirement because I can get a pension that is worth about a third of my salary and get subsidized retiree health benefits for life. If I happen to be offered early retirement, I can retire between 2028 and 2036 with a little smaller pension and the lifetime health benefits.

Congrats!!!

I wish I would have been able to get 40% of my net worth in gifts!!!

At least you did not blow it like so many others...

Congratulations daystar! It seems you have maximized what you were given and have greatly added to it. All you have to do at this point is add to it without missing out on life and the sky is the limit for you. Not many people can say that.

Congrats.

My wife has a DB pension and is in a similar situation where she will leave a bunch of money and benefits on the table if she retires early. Golden handcuffs.

Hopefully in another 7-10 years you will be able to say "The first million is the hardest".

Congratulations!

Most folks who reach a million get to do it a few times before it sticks.

Let's hope it sticks for you without too many fallbacks.

Things can really accelerate from here, I posted about hitting a million a few months back, we're now ~60k above that (including contributions)....I remember how many YEARS it took to get $60k net worth after we got married!!

How does your spending look if you don't mind? Just curious about how you spend per year?? Thanks.

I'm still looking at 2036 for retirement because I can get a pension that is worth about a third of my salary and get subsidized retiree health benefits for life. If I happen to be offered early retirement, I can retire between 2028 and 2036 with a little smaller pension and the lifetime health benefits.

Hey I am a federal employee as well. Look into deferred retirement. It may allow you to leave federal service much earlier and still have your pension waiting for you at Age 62 or your minimum retirement age (most likely 57).

EDIT: You would not be eligible for health care under this option, however.

ATC Guy, I used to work in HR for the FAA and handled all the retirement issues for our air traffic controllers. :)

Budget - I'm single and don't have any kids. I don't own any property and I paid cash for a new car in 2015. I sometimes do additional charitable gifts in the amount of $1,000 to $3,000 per year that aren't shown on the budget. My charitable giving is around 4% to 6% of my income. I also receive dividends and interest of about $5,000 to $7,000 per year that I don't count when figuring out my budget.

Job Income = $4308 per month + 2 extra payments of $2154 each year

Rent $1350
Cable TV/Internet $150
Cell Phone $ 60
Electricity $100

Food $500
Miscellaneous $200
Entertainment $100
Dating $200
Clothing $ 70
Personal Products $ 40
Haircuts $ 25
Gym Membership $ 20
Gas for Car / Bus Fare $110
Car Maintenance $ 50
Parking $ 20
Medical $175
Church Donation $260
IV Donation $ 60
CRA Donation $ 30
Other Donations/ Gifts $ 70
Infrequent Expenses $ 33
Total $3623

Occasional Payments (Infrequent Expenses)
Car Insurance $350 x 2 = $ 700 per year
Car Registration/Tax = $ 500 per year
LTC Insurance $300 x 1 = $ 300 per year
Home Insurance + Umbrella = $ 350 per year
Travel $600 x 4 = $2400 per year
Medical Membership $200 x 1 = $ 200 per year
Costco Membership $ 55 x 1 = $ 155 per year
AAA Membership $100 x 1 = $ 100 per year

Total $4705 per year

2 extra paychecks = $4308 per year
$4705 - $4308 = $397 / 12 = $33 per month extra expense

How do you save so much money when your monthly budget is:
Total $3623

But your income is:
Job Income = $4308 per month

Doesn't seem like a huge amount to be stashing away every month/year.

I make maybe $769 a week (Roughly $40k per year) and have very few expenses like:
Rent $450 every other month (have GF)
Electricity $100 per month
Car insurance $80 per month
Food $200 every other month (have GF)
Gas $$75 per month
Misc items $100 per month

And STILL have a hard time saving $20k per year. What are your secrets? I life a gift-less life.

How do you save so much money when your monthly budget is:
Total $3623

I make ... have very few expenses like:
Rent $450 every other month (have GF)

Food $200 every other month (have GF)

What are your secrets? I life a gift-less life.

His secret was already revealed.....HE IS SINGLE.
GFs is expensive, WIVES is expensive, too.:LOL:

When I list my job income, this is my take home pay after taxes and after maxing out my 401k contributions at $18,000 per year. I also get 5% matching on my 401k. I've been maxing out my 401k each year since 2003.

Back
Top Bottom