Tax Prep DIY

Lstansbury

Recycles dryer sheets
Any recommendations for the best tax prep software for a new DIYer? I've used a tax preparer in the past, but it's become very pricey and I was just being lazy. I have w-2 income, self-employment income and rental income. Thanks!

First time, you should use Taxcut - the premium version , should be able to find it on sale for $30-$35.

I suggest premium because it will have all the interview info you need to walk you through everything, later years when you are used to it, you can drop down to deluxe to and directly fill out some forms without an interview help.

Others may suggest Turbo Tax, which works fine, but is always $20 or more, more expensive. Unless you are a big investor in fidelity and can get it as a freebie.

There's 3 main players. Here's a good review on them:

Taxes are never, ever fun. But with the right tax software in your hands, you’ll feel far less spent (and perhaps less nervous) come April 18th — that’s right, the 2017 filing deadline is April 18th, not the traditional date of the 15th. What hasn’t changed this year is our list of the best tax software companies: TurboTax, H&R Block, and TaxAct.

Best Tax Software for 2017 - The Simple Dollar

I used Turbotax for years until HR Block became cheaper and them switched to that. They were more or less equivalent and I like them both.

Unless your tax situation is very complex, any of those mentioned will be fine. I've used TurboTax and continue to do so because I've always used it (back when it came on a floppy disk :) ) and I don't feel like changing. My caution is whether or not you should DIY. If your situation is stable - no major financial differences from the year before, then go for it. Verify that your tax isn't much different from your last years return and you should be fine. If you started or sold off a business, had new real estate transactions (new rental property) or are making decisions on how to handle a lump sum or deferred compensation, it would probably be best to continue to let someone else do your taxes. Generally though, it's best to do it yourself because no one knows you like you know you.

I did start a rental this year and I have a K1 to deal with from enterprise partners. But I really want to do this myself because I know how valuable it is for understanding my finances now and especially as I FIRE. I did take the Jackson Hewitt tax prep course one fall and worked for them for a season. But this K1 us the most complicated darn thing I've ever seen. It scares me so much I actually thought about selling my shares just so I didn't have to deal with the tax paperwork. But then, a sale triggers tax issues too! So it seems best that I learn this stuff once and for all

I would suggest Turbo Tax Home and Business. I have rentals and businesses and I find it very helpful.

I have used all three that easysurfer mentioned (although my TurboTax days were many years ago) but now use the H&R Block software aka TaxCut which is very similar to TurboTax but costs significantly less. I'm old school and prefer a program that resides on my desktop so I haven't considered any of the online stuff. Any of the top three should handle your K1 with ease. Also, since you have years of returns by a tax preparer, they will serve as useful comparisons.

If you go with H&R Block, you would need at least their "Premuim" version to handle self-employment and rental income. If you need corporate returns, W2's etc, you'd need the "Premium and Business" version. One caveat with the latter: the "Business" part is an entirely separate program with a different GUI although it still has an "interview" process to follow.

I did start a rental this year and I have a K1 to deal with from enterprise partners. But I really want to do this myself because I know how valuable it is for understanding my finances now and especially as I FIRE. I did take the Jackson Hewitt tax prep course one fall and worked for them for a season. But this K1 us the most complicated darn thing I've ever seen. It scares me so much I actually thought about selling my shares just so I didn't have to deal with the tax paperwork. But then, a sale triggers tax issues too! So it seems best that I learn this stuff once and for all

TurboTax Premier is probably your best bet. Both Deluxe and Premier can handle the K1 (they will help you fill out form 1065), but Premier also handles rental properties and stock sales more easily than Deluxe. We use TTax Premier, and we've had this type of K1 in the past. We also have rental property, and I made a small amount of money on a 1099 in 2015. Premier has handled all of those situations just fine.

You don't need the TTax Home & Business version unless most of your income comes from self-employment, or you are running a small business and need to generate 1099s or W-2s for other people.

I'm sure H&R Block can also handle your situations, though I have no experience with it. I'm less sure about TaxAct.

Another +1 for H&R TaxCut. Have used both Turbotax and TaxCut and find them pretty comparable. Have been looking for deals and saw the Federal/State version on a Daily Deal at Amazon for $21. Did not jump on it quick enough so will continue to keep my eyes open for another promotion.

I still use TurboTax, more out of inertia than anything else. It works, I'm familiar with the UI, and since it's a once-a-year purchase I don't sweat the $20 price difference.

I use TurboTax, but primarily because I can get a free copy. Otherwise, I shopped for the least expensive package that would do the job,used TaxCut for many years. Never pay extra to efile, I've no problem mailing.

I use TaxAct because it's cheaper than TurboTax, although I did a proforma 2016 return in both a few months ago and TurboTax was slightly more user-friendly in their UI, IMHO.

But I'll still use TaxAct because I'm cheap! :cool:

I use TaxAct because it's cheaper than TurboTax, although I did a proforma 2016 return in both a few months ago and TurboTax was slightly more user-friendly in their UI, IMHO.

But I'll still use TaxAct because I'm cheap! :cool:

Interesting. I used TT before TA and I don't recall it being more user-friendly. I actually find TA to be user friendly and very easy to understand. The price doesn't hurt, either.

^ Maybe more "hand-hold"-y and reassuring and encouraging. If you know what you're doing, I think both are easy enough to use. And personally I would prefer something tending less towards interview questions and more towards Free Fillable Forms. But I've used TA for a few years now and inertia has me in her bitter grasp so I probably won't investigate alternatives.

I use TT because I know it and it works. I don't care that it costs more and I even have to pay to efile state.

You want to know what's really expensive? CPA's when trusts are involved. We're talking thousands of dollars, all told me thinks about 5 grand.

I rejoice when I have to pay a whole hundred bucks to do my taxes and all I have to do is enter the info. Fill in the blanks. Easy, done.

First, thanks for the links to the two web sites that reviewed the handful of tax software. I read them both to see if the reviewers thought the same way as I do.

I have always done my own tax returns since I first started filing returns in the early 1970s. I used TurboTax for some years, but switched the HRBlock the past 2 years because of the games that Intuit plays with customers and pricing of their software. It seems that Intuit never tells anyone what is the cheapest version of TT that they can use, but always tells them to use a version that is one or two price levels higher and continually tries to upsell while using the software itself.

But the reviews don't cover situations where I see differences that affect me. For instance, I want the foreign tax credit Form 1116 to be painlessly filled out. I want education credits not to be muffed up (sorry TT, you muffed it!). I want 1099-Bs to be painlessly imported. I want Form 8606 with its treatment of non-deductible IRAs and conversions and recharacterizations to be painless.

Sure, all the software can take W-2, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV and some other things, but they don't all do the same things on some other forms. They each have their own quirks, so I just go for the cheapest which is HRBlock.

That said, for a first-timer, I would suggest using TurboTax, but one version cheaper than you think you need because it will work. So Deluxe desktop works for Schedule C for instance and one doesn't need Home & Business.

Then after using TT one year, just go with the cheapest software in each future year which will probably be HRBlock. At least HRBlock pays me about $50 to use their software because of the gift rebate.

And I think it is ridiculous to expect software to work on your phone to do your tax return. You might as well use pencil and paper if your tax return is simple enough to do on your phone. At least with pencil and paper you might have a clue about your taxes and thus be an informed citizen able to vote intelligently on tax issues that affect you.

Last edited:
Translation: TaxCut = H&R Block Tax Software

Amazon is smart enough if you search "TaxCut". They also used to call it "Block at Home"

Any recommendations for the best tax prep software for a new DIYer?

We always did our taxes ourselves the old way, with the printed manual and printed forms. Then mailed it all off with a stamp.

About six years ago we started using the online service eztaxreturn.com. They charge about $25-30 each year, but it's really easy to file a return online. They walk you through each step, so you don't need to know which forms to submit or anything. Another plus is they submit your return electronically, so there's no stamp and nothing to mail.

I have a K1 to deal with from enterprise partners

TurboTax allows the import of K1 data. I've used this for the last few years and found it to be a great time saver and simplification tool. But with only one K1 it might not be such a big deal.

Not sure about the other packages but would guess that they may support it as well.

If you use turbotax get the download version not the website .You have better access to forms view and more control of your file.
Since you have rental property you will need to have the prior year depreciation schedules. If you know the basis used and start dates you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom