Frustration Rant !

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Trying to give DW directions drives me insane. DW calls on the phone and wants to know how to get from point A to point B and then wants to argue after I tell her. It doesn't work much better even in person with a google map assisting.

Argggggggggggg !!!!!!

Anybody else suffer this maddening frustration :confused:??

No. My wife and I live in perfect harmony and that's the story that I'm sticking to. :angel:

No. My wife and I live in perfect harmony and that's the story that I'm sticking to. :angel:
Describes my marriage perfectly as well. Ask my wife, she's standing right here behind me. :)

I can honestly say that I've never felt even a moment's frustration while trying to give Frayne's DW directions.

Buy her a GPS. I love my DW but she can't read a map in a moving car if her life depended on it. We get along much better since we got the GPS.

I literally have no sense of direction. I blame it on being raised on the eastern coast of FL. I HAVE to believe whatever anyone tells me. I use a GPS.

Buy her a GPS. I love my DW but she can't read a map in a moving car if her life depended on it. We get along much better since we got the GPS.

She has a GPS and it is of no help, probably because she can't argue with it.

Is the the type of person that likes to over ride the GPS. I've been in cars with backseat drivers like that. I'd be merrily driving following the GPS, but they disagree with the GPS saying they know a better way, a short cut :(.

My wife is a professional map maker. I let her drive after figuring out the directions. Then, since we never get to where she wants to go, I always try to get her to start about 15 minutes early, so that I can tell her how to get from where she got to where she wanted to go in the first place. It is one of my great joys in life to see her screw up and never blame herself, so I don't get frustrated at all.

Last edited:
Neither of us is good with directions. That's what GPS is for. And even it can cause confusion. (Why does the computer say to "Keep left," when all it really wants you to do is keep straight and not be tempted to stray into the exit on the right?)

Sorry (well maybe not) but I don't know your wife. However, I may be married to one of her relatives or at least someone that went to the same school.

Probably because you did not properly explain to her how to turn it on:D

Not on the phone. We get to play it out in person. Sometimes when she gets too mad at me she rips the GPS a new one.

Giving my DW my Garmin to use on a 100 mile trip she was taking to see an old friend of hers almost get me divorced when she got back (real late, BTW). Now when she asks for directions, I just tell here I have no idea and tell her to "ask SIRI".

DH and I both have (well, he had) a terrible sense of direction but at least DH could determine North, South, East, West. I could NOT process directions like "Drive East on Main Street". Do I turn left or right? We both read maps well except that I needed to turn the map so it was oriented the same way as our position and DH had to turn it so the print was right side up.

GPS saved us both although he made me stop changing the language to French or German.

Trying to give DW directions drives me insane. DW calls on the phone and wants to know how to get from point A to point B and then wants to argue after I tell her. It doesn't work much better even in person with a google map assisting.

Argggggggggggg !!!!!!

Anybody else suffer this maddening frustration :confused:??

There are three possibilities:

1. She has poor spatial orientation.
2. Your instructions are ambiguous.
3. She has a set of alternative facts in her subconscious.

I recommend you both meet with a neutral party and negotiate a communication protocol to address future geographic information requirements. My recommendation would include the purchase of a comprehensive GPS with several orientation and practice sessions conducted by a competent neutral party.

Sorry (well maybe not) but I don't know your wife. However, I may be married to one of her relatives or at least someone that went to the same school.

My kids are related and went to the same school. :cool:

- DD used a map to guide DW through St Louis to the Arch and on out of town heading east on a trip from Colorado to Virginia when she was 12.

- I have had to go find DS a couple of times when the battery died in his cell phone and he no longer had turn-by-turn directions to get to my place when he was in college.

You can change it to a man's voice if you prefer.

It was a joke :)

I have a good sense of direction and don't use a GPS. The fact that I don't live in a large city or go very many hard to find places certainly does help.

Is the the type of person that likes to over ride the GPS. I've been in cars with backseat drivers like that. I'd be merrily driving following the GPS, but they disagree with the GPS saying they know a better way, a short cut :(.

Just sayin, but I have seen the GPS give horrible ways to get someplace...

One time it took us down an old dirt and shell road when we could have stayed on a highway and then taken a left on another and ended up in the same place... probably faster... (now have dirt roads turned off)...

Another time is had us doing various streets when the highway was the best choice... but, the highway ran south of the town and then turned to the west side... so it took an angle route through the town...

The first major issue I had was in FL... we were going from the beaches close to the panhandle down to Disney... it had me doing one lane roads a good distance instead of getting me to the interstate where I had many lanes and could go faster... (got a ticket on that one trying to make up time)

Around here, it tries to get me to go some routes that MIGHT appear to be faster, but since I know traffic etc. I KNOW that is false...

All of the above are with the GPS on fastest time, not shortest distance...

BTW, I saw a program where they had a guy using a GPS in London compared to a cab driver... IIRC, the cab driver was faster in almost all the trips they compared...

Back
Top Bottom