I bonds rates

Ticker

Recycles dryer sheets
From Treasury Direct:

The composite rate for I bonds issued from May 1, 2017, through October 31, 2017, is 1.96%. This rate applies for the first six months you own the bond.

We already maxed out this year. Still a better rate than most safe investments and offers future inflation protection and tax deferral on income.

We already maxed out this year. Still a better rate than most safe investments and offers future inflation protection and tax deferral on income.

+1

Already maxed out for the year plus we asked our tax refund to be paid as paper I-bonds as well.

While the interest cancels out inflation, you still lose after paying taxes. It is true that the alternatives are terrible also. I just checked to see that 5-year CDs are paying 2.3%, while 1-year CDs pay 1.4%. The inflation rate for the last 12 months (3/2016-3/2017) runs about 2.4% annual rate.

I still have about 8% of my stash in I bonds, bought more than 10 years ago when I got 1.1% above inflation. I used to have more, percentage wise, but the stock portion outgrew the I bonds. I have not bought any more since.

Last edited:
While the interest cancels out inflation, you still lose after paying taxes. It is true that the alternatives are terrible also. I just checked to see that 5-year CDs are paying 2.3%, while 1-year CDs pay 1.4%. The inflation rate for the last 12 months (3/2016-3/2017) runs about 2.4% annual rate.

I still have about 8% of my stash in I bonds, bought more than 10 years ago when I got 1.1% above inflation. I used to have more, percentage wise, but the stock portion outgrew the I bonds. I have not bought any more since.

I just bought a 2.3% CD from Synchrony Bank last week. CDs are taxable while I Bonds are tax deferred. But they both a good place to put your "safe" money. Neither are intended to beat inflation and I don't think there's a bond or CD out there that could. I have some I Bonds from the old days, but in small denominations that don't matter much. My goal with safe money is to not lose any more value over time than necessary. I view Gold/Silver as protection against hyperinflation. My stocks and real estate investments are designed for income and growth, carefully selected to not hurt too bad in a market collapse by choosing companies that provide things people need no matter what.

Appreciate the reminder... Checked, and my 2003 bonds are paying 6.21%.

I bought all of my 30K worth of I-bonds in the same year back when real rates were so high (3 to 3.4%)

I will actually have to cash them in over a period of 3 tax years to lower my tax bill so as to stay in the 15% bracket. So some will be cashed in at the 28.5 year mark, some at the 29.5 year mark, etc.

And during those 3 tax years, I will not be able to IRA-to-Roth convert.

This strategy seems to make sense, even if real rates are still effectively 0 at that time (for other fixed income investments) and I am losing out on a year and a half or a half year of growth at 3% real rates. The value of only paying 15% tax instead of 25% tax seems higher.

Got my stash back when they actually paid interest (in the 3% range IIRC). They will likely outlive me unless I have a need for the money. I am glad I have them even though they are a relatively small portion of my stash. They used to be a really good deal. Now, they aren't worth the effort IMO. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom