Moment of Truth

BGold

Recycles dryer sheets
Okay, so I too have lurked on this amazing site for many years, appreciating the courage shared by FIRE brothers and sisters, and now its time for me to put some steel in my spine too.

I'm 64 and my DW is 71 (she robbed the cradle, don't ya know), and married 32 years. She is already retired a year already and has never looked back.

I've worked in education for the past 21 years at a college that has provided great opportunities for me. It's been a terrific ride, but like a great TV show, it had reached its final season.

I've been considering my transition for over a year, and now, I think, and feel, I'm ready to join the retiring class of 2017. On Monday, I will submit documents that affirm my intentions to say, "see ya!" And having written that, it feels pretty damn good!

Brian

Congratulations. You are gonna love it.

#2 - don't set the alarm clock

Back to serious, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are mentally prepared and ready. You don't mention any financial questions, so assuming you have that under control and good understanding.

What were some of the first things you did after retiring?

Had a garage sale and sold all my work clothes.

Made a list of stuff to do and then never did it.

Learned how to make a proper margarita.

Bought a good bike and, it's true, you never forget how to ride.

#3 Don't make the list too long - remember you are retired!

38Chevy454 -

My DW and I have compiled a nest egg of $3.4 M and have a yearly expense of $130k. This includes health care, family support, vacations, fun, and basic living needs.

I'll be receiving travia leave for unused sick leave and vacation days after retiring on July 1st which will carry me for 3-months. Once I begin receiving SS, my DW and I will collect 50k, leaving 80k for our investments to cover. I've calculated a 2.5% withdrawal rate to cover the rest of the budget.

The truth is I'm conflicted on how this has come about. In February, I had chosen to stay at the j$b for 1 more year, because the last 5-years had been challenging and fun. In early April, word came down from administration that half my department (the best half) would be canceled and I would be reassigned.

So for the last 7-weeks I've been grieving the loss and angry about a decision I could not control. Slowly I've realized this to be a "buddhist gift." Seeing the opportunity in events that happen.

Perhaps taking the decision out of your hands is a good thing. It avoids the OMY syndrome. Besides, you're not retiring early anyway at 64. With pensions and Medicare around the corner, your assets should allow for some enjoyable retirement.

It took me awhile to learn to slow down. First thing I did was turn off my alarm clock and leave it off. I just tried to take my time doing stuff, no hurry, you can always do it tomorrow. I had some friends and my DH who were retired, and they gave me some great advice.

One more quick thing. I learned to sell on eBay and cleaned out my closets and shelves. Feels so good!

iLoveyoga - I'm looking forward to taking my time and especially not having to travel on subways during rush hour. My DW is already retired. Its great to see how calm she is

Souschef - I'm impressed by your organization skill. Guess that comes from working in a high pressure kitchen (hence the name).

Figured out who me was, instead of the career. Spent a lot of time walking and learning to eat and cook healthy meals.

Congratulations...
With the finances set, and an open road, it's time to enjoy whatever you choose to do. :flowers:

That said, my guess is that you'll want to continue is the kind of intellectual; challenge that you appear to have enjoyed, albeit without being on someone else's schedule.

The best of all worlds... as much or as little as you want. At least 25 years ahead to enjoy the world.
:dance:

MRG - point taken! "Who am I" without the title, status, and org resources? Getting acquainted with the genuine article; excited and anxious.

Back
Top Bottom