London just left the bucket list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Collar Guy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just got a flash on my laptop about bad news for pedestrians in London. If i want a crazy to run me over ill stay home and save the airfare.

2 incidents today, not just one. I'm glad I was there 6 weeks last year with my family. London Bridge and a Borough market, we went walking there.

Last edited:
This is awful but I will not let this deter me from travels. I feel this is letting them win. No offence intended to the OP. Just wanted to state my view.

I am grateful for the people who maintain their plans. And for the recent heroes in Portland who defended the Muslim women.

I hope this craziness stops in my lifetime. Not sure this post fits here. If not, feel free to delete.

Statistically speaking the risk is probably much higher for getting injured in a traffic accident, maybe getting hit by an American who can't figure out a left-hand roundabout.

Seriously, the rest of the world thinks every street corner in the US features battling drug gangs with assault rifles. It's the press that gets people spun up, not the reality of the risk.

I don't think I'd head for Syria or Sudan right now but if we hadn't already been to Egypt I'd be considering it and looking for the bargains that are undoubtedly available. London, with the weak pound, is more attractive than it has been in years. We've already been there a couple of times, though.

Statistically speaking the risk is probably much higher for getting injured in a traffic accident, maybe getting hit by an American who can't figure out a left-hand roundabout.

Seriously, the rest of the world thinks every street corner in the US features battling drug gangs with assault rifles. It's the press that gets people spun up, not the reality of the risk.

I don't think I'd head for Syria or Sudan right now but if we hadn't already been to Egypt I'd be considering it and looking for the bargains that are undoubtedly available. London, with the weak pound, is more attractive than it has been in years. We've already been there a couple of times, though.

I cant remember see any timeshares in Syria, but ill skip those too.

Well said.

This is awful but I will not let this deter me from travels. I feel this is letting them win. No offence intended to the OP. Just wanted to state my view.

I am grateful for the people who maintain their plans. And for the recent heroes in Portland who defended the Muslim women.

I hope this craziness stops in my lifetime. Not sure this post fits here. If not, feel free to delete.
The second paragraph seems off topic but its cool, no offense taken.

Last edited:
We're headed to London a week from Monday, for five nights before we leave on a cruise. That is if I can get DW on the airplane. Of course, with British Airways it'll probably be cancelled.
Seriously though, I don't want this to get in the way of people traveling. I lived in England in the 80s when the IRA and Libya were causing problems. I didn't let that terrorism affect any travel plans then and won't now.

Go to London. Go to Paris. Travel.

We were in London last year and took the Eurostar from London to Paris on the same day the terrorists hit Belgium. A few days later when they broke up that terrorist cell in Paris, it was about 8 miles from my hotel. My daughter did a German exchange right at the time there were attacks on women going on in Germany.

I was concerned sending her to Germany at that time. Its all disconcerting as a traveler and absolutely maddening as a citizen but its no reason to not travel and see the world. The people are delightful and the experiences are great. I have memories with my family that are irreplaceable.

I would be saddened indeed if I had traded those memories over marginal fears.

Screw 'em. Travel and live.

It's easy to focus on these terrible events when they are on the news channels 24 hours a day. But this is a very big world, and the risk of being involved in a terrorist incident is very low in the grand scheme of things.

With that being said, I tend to avoid areas that are known for being extremely high traffic areas. Mostly because I don't like crowds, but I suppose the terrorism threat goes through the back of my mind in these areas just a bit.

We're off to London in July. Very much looking forward to it.

This is London on December 29, 1940, during what was the 114th straight night of being bombed during the Blitz. Londoners did not cower or cringe then, they aren't now and won't anytime in the foreseeable future. They keep calm and carry on. So should you.

Attachments

• st. pauls.jpg
    st. pauls.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 377
Nice to be told by our superiors what we should feel and how we should behave. God knows how any of us has managed to blunder along so long on our own!

No problem. I'll go to London on your behalf. I still haven't visited the Tower of London.

And I'm so glad I didn't miss Nice last year. Great city and surrounds.

Exactly. I'll happily go and roll those dice.

I just got a flash on my laptop about bad news for pedestrians in London. If i want a crazy to run me over ill stay home and save the airfare.

Was it ever on your bucket list? ....Never travel anywhere without paying attention to your surroundings and stay alert.

I probably have PTSD, i remember when i first heard a plane fly over my house after 9/11. I jumped out of my skin. I also swear i see shark fins when im at the beach, i blame the movie Jaws on that.

I probably have PTSD, i remember when i first heard a plane fly over my house after 9/11. I jumped out of my skin.
I think a lot of us did, even those of us who didn't live anywhere near NYC. I'm sure it was so much worse there.

Seems like each potential traveler can decide for himself (or herself) whether the slight to moderate stress he/she might feel when traveling to London or wherever, will mean that another destination might be more fun that year, or not. In my opinion it's not a matter of probabilities; it's a matter of how much it will detract from vacation fun for that individual.

I probably have PTSD, i remember when i first heard a plane fly over my house after 9/11. I jumped out of my skin. I also swear i see shark fins when im at the beach, i blame the movie Jaws on that.

Don't let it control you.
Vietnam combat vet here so I understand. But you can't let them win.

We had a trip scheduled to Oktoberfest in 2001, just a couple of weeks after 9/11. There were hardly any empty seats on the flight over; most others didn't cancel their plans either. We had a wonderful time. It was interesting to see the extra security, too. There were German Air Force armored personnel carriers patrolling the perimeter of the Munich airport, and that gave us a good feeling.

I spent 27 years being raised, living and working in London before I left for Canada & The States. It STILL brings a few tears to my eyes when I walk across Tower Bridge..... Nostalgic Tears that is.

Eh, I tend to do the inverse sometimes.

Went to Egypt last winter, because there were great deals to be had and it was a lot more quiet than usual. I went to Nepal during the tail end of their civil war. And to Sri Lanka right when there were potentially destabilizing elections.

Usually when something happens in an area it is very isolated and overblown, so you can get the most beautiful spots, best service and can hear real stories of actual citizens easier. Also, the tourists that do come tend to be more colorful :) I'll go to the Ukraine this fall.

We all have our tolerances - In Egypt for example quite a few people went to the Sinai, I didn't dare go.

London is too busy and I've been there a few times already so won't be visiting there soon I guess. But I'd rather go there than through the US borders. The brits treat me like a guest firstmost, not a potential terrorist.

I landed at Heathrow to start my "Eurail Pass" European summer vacation during college years. I couldn't get out of crowded London fast enough. Hopped onto a train, went off to the small towns and countryside, and had a great time, though.

Sure. But two completely different risks of course. One a given and longstanding, the other new and growing. I do not really see an equivalency there.

That the UK is so PC and unwilling to take steps to reign in terror is troubling. And yes, be vigilant. But realistically the victims had little chance to avoid this attack.

I would personally not rush to book travel to London right now. But I would also not cancel plans.

I landed at Heathrow to start my "Eurail Pass" European summer vacation during college years. I couldn't get out of crowded London fast enough. Hopped onto a train, went off to the small towns and countryside, and had a great time, though.

I lived in England in the 80s for three years and never felt crowded in London. Now when I lived in Tokyo in the early 90s...that's crowded!!!

Sure. But two completely different risks of course. One a given and longstanding, the other new and growing. I do not really see an equivalency there.

That the UK is so PC and unwilling to take steps to reign in terror is troubling. And yes, be vigilant. But realistically the victims had little chance to avoid this attack.

I would personally not rush to book travel to London right now. But I would also not cancel plans.

New and growing? When I lived there in the 80s terror attacks were a concern then too. Remember the IRA? The Pan Am bombing that crashed in Lockerbie? The Harrods department store bombing? Terror in London is not new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom