King Crab Leg Time

Blue Collar Guy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A few weeks ago im speaking with my Daughter in law, and she tells me that they had King Crab legs for her fathers birthday. Funny, my birthday was in April, I remember the phone call , some how the whole crab leg thing was missing. So, i like them, I dont like the $30 a pound price , but i decided to spend some of my money (their inheritance) on myself. I managed to find a sale at $18.99 pound and i snatched up the last 3 packs, they weight in just shy of 5 pounds total. A pot of salted water, a strainer, some melted butter, nut cracker, scissors and dinner is gonna be served. Thanks kids for the left handed suggestion , keep them coming.

A few weeks ago im speaking with my Daughter in law, and she tells me that they had King Crab legs for her fathers birthday. Funny, my birthday was in April, I remember the phone call , some how the whole crab leg thing was missing. So, i like them, I dont like the $30 a pound price , but i decided to spend some of my money (their inheritance) on myself. I managed to find a sale at $18.99 pound and i snatched up the last 3 packs, they weight in just shy of 5 pounds total. A pot of salted water, a strainer, some melted butter, nut cracker, scissors and dinner is gonna be served. Thanks kids for the left handed suggestion , keep them coming.

Nice! Gotta get me some too!

Nice! Gotta get me some too!

I used to stock up once a year at Waldbaums, Usually during Lent they had a half price sale, but they all went out of business last year. I was paying $9.99 a pound when they were on sale. This is the lowest i paid since then. When you get them enjoy!!

Love king crab.
I remember back in the late '70s when local restaurants had all the king crab legs you can eat specials. I think I maybe responsible for them being so expensive now.

COSTCO has excellent crab legs, and they are about $18 per pound in a 10 pound box (every day price).

Now this would be a reason for me to investigate Costco. Thanks. I will give my local one a call. So i call, they dont pick up, i go online they tell me 10 pound box , $299.99 hahah. Everyone else its probably $180. OK , follow up ,I got someone at member services to pick up. The one nearest me doesnt currently have any in stock. I would need to shell out the $300 for 10 pounds shipped. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

Last edited:
Now this would be a reason for me to investigate Costco. Thanks. I will give my local one a call. So i call, they dont pick up, i go online they tell me 10 pound box , $299.99 hahah. Everyone else its probably $180.

Hmm. Well, I will go to the local Costco and report back...

Now this would be a reason for me to investigate Costco. Thanks. I will give my local one a call. So i call, they dont pick up, i go online they tell me 10 pound box , $299.99 hahah. Everyone else its probably $180. OK , follow up ,I got someone at member services to pick up. The one nearest me doesnt currently have any in stock. I would need to shell out the $300 for 10 pounds shipped. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

NOTE: That $299.99 includes shipping - 2 day shipping in special packaging to keep it frozen.

BTW - this is the Alaskan Red King Crab, which is the best quality.

I routinely pick up a couple of pounds on Friday or Saturday when they have their "seafood show" at our Costco and sell Red King Crag legs individually. It's been $20 a pound lately.

We have a seafood buffet in Honolulu. In the evenings and on Sunday, they include crab legs. IIRC cost is less than $20 per person and it's all you can eat. I like crab, but I'm too impatient to work on them. DW can spend half an hour just cracking and eating. If she has a problem, she hands me the tool and then she eats the meat. Something wrong here. YMMV

NOTE: That $299.99 includes shipping - 2 day shipping in special packaging to keep it frozen.

BTW - this is the Alaskan Red King Crab, which is the best quality.

I routinely pick up a couple of pounds on Friday or Saturday when they have their "seafood show" at our Costco and sell Red King Crag legs individually. It's been $20 a pound lately.

yeah thats what another poster said, But mine is either all out or doesnt carry them, i just called:(. But i just had my "fix", so i should be good for a few months

My king crab is probably down to $100/lb. :D Alas, the season been closed for the last 3-4 years locally and I'm not willing to go outside the area (besides, I'd be guessing where a good place to drop pots would be). Now, salmon and halibut is down to maybe $40/lb.

Call me strange, I actually prefer the less expensive snow crab over the king crab.

For the best and freshest, but not cheap crab legs, go to fishex.com. I send them as gifts and once you buy theirs, you won't ever get them from Costco or a supermarket. The get them straight off the boat. Again not cheap, but the best.

I like Dungeness crab. Sweetest meat. I never like King Crab nor Snow crab, but I eat them when they are on sale. But the Blue crab from Chesapeake bay is also very sweet but not a lot of meat.

Last edited:
I like Dungeness crab. Sweetest meat. I never like King Crab nor Snow crab, but I eat them when they are on sale. But the Blue crab from Chesapeake bay is also very sweet but not a lot of meat.

I live on the Bay. Ate a dozen last week. I wasn't even close to being full. But they are tasty. Catch them in my front yard. Takes about 3-4 days to get a dozen in my pots. More often than not we usually just go out and get crab cakes at the local joint.

I love Alaskan king crab. Don't like snow crab - too much work for not enough meat, and the flavor is not as tasty to me as king crab. Also love lump crabmeat- the best for crab recipes like crab cakes.

Love king crab.
I remember back in the late '70s when local restaurants had all the king crab legs you can eat specials. I think I maybe responsible for them being so expensive now.

Fond memories here too. We were on a very limited budget but saved up to go on the occasional special King Crab Nights. We even got some BOGO tickets a couple of times. We usually ate enough so we didn't have to eat for a few days.

A few years after the King Crab specials faded away we found a place that started all you can eat Maine lobster specials. Needless to say for that year we went there quite a few times and put away 7 or 8 lobsters each.

Sadly that has long gone too. On the other hand I can't eat as much as I use to and I don't have to worry about cost. Gotta spend the money before My "sell by" date is up.

Cheers!

Good stuff, but my favorite is actually Dungeness crab.
I still have fond memories of a trip a few years ago where we were treated to an all-you-can-eat Dungeness crab dinner. Three of us just kept packing it in while our wives gave up and left the dining room.

My parents used to live in Myrtle Beach and some of the "all you can eat" buffets prominently featured crab legs in the photos of their food offerings. I never bothered- their pricing anticipates people stuffing themselves and I'm not into that. I did enjoy Alaskan King Crab legs twice on cruises in Alaska, so have probably been spoiled- but now I'm going to check out crab legs at Costco!

I remember all you can eat king crab at som restaurants way back in my college days, but what I ate then doesn't hold a candle to what I enjoy now.

My king crab is probably down to $100/lb. :D Alas, the season been closed for the last 3-4 years locally and I'm not willing to go outside the area (besides, I'd be guessing where a good place to drop pots would be). Now, salmon and halibut is down to maybe $40/lb.
Where can this be? In Seattle, I have been eating excellent halibut this spring for $18-$24/lb. And salmon? Lat weekend I bought excellent late run Copper River sockeye for $14.99. This all comes from Alaska, and is exquisite. I think it was about 30 years ago that this fish started to be promoted. Previously it just sold as sockeye in markets locally. It is actually tastier though, a rare example of hype reflecting reality.

I am not crazy about King crab. Our local Dungeness crab is to me is much sweeter and more delicate crab.

Ha

Last edited:
Where can this be? In Seattle, I have been eating excellent halibut this spring for $18-$24/lb. And salmon? Lat weekend I bought excellent late run Copper River sockeye for $14.99. This all comes from Alaska, and is exquisite. I think it was about 30 years ago that this fish started to be promoted. Previously it just sold as sockeye in markets locally. It is actually tastier though, a rare example of hype reflecting reality.

I am not crazy about King crab. Our local Dungeness crab is to me is much sweeter and more delicate crab.

Ha

Oh yeah, I was a grad student at UW in the early 80-ies and remember the sockeye well. It's crazy now, but back then, seafood was basically a poor-man's (i.e. Poor grad student's) food. Many trips to Pikeplace Market to pick up fresh fish, crab, geoduck for a song...

I agree on the Dungeness crab!

Back
Top Bottom