Another Texas newbie

rt-texas

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello all.

Found the link to here thru FIREcalc some years and have been "lurking" at times. Have been using FIREcalc for the last several along with several others planners/calculators such as ESP.

Vitals:

Me-58 self employed
Her-55 with a real job.
Kids-nope, less you count the dogs
Married 30 years, only marriage for both of us.

Assets:

$0 debt
$350 house/no mortgage-been here 26 years
$ 1.85 all at Vanguard indexed 65/35. Will soon rebalance to a more 60/40 mix
2 million unused AA miles ;)

Tired of the rat race, the rats have won. Was going to pull the plug this month. Client offered me enough to stay thru the end of the year. Still question the decision somewhat but I made the commitment so will go forward with a smile.

House will go on the market next spring and we will travel the world for three to five years. Will take the proceeds from the house and do a bond ladder. That plus some cash to fund the travel years and not sweat market volatility. Find a place we like well enough, we may live overseas for a while.

Will start the IRA to Roth conversion in January 2018. Try to minimize the RMD hit later in life.

We both firmly believe in; "same spouse, same house and used car". It's what got us here.

Thanks for all the information/help I have gleaned from everybody here in the past. Greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have it planned out well.

Welcome Tex.

Dallas-ite here and working to almost the same # goal.

Me-46, real job
DW-52, PT work at home
Lived abroad to give it a test...loved it.
$350 home
0 debt
1.2 total net worth
1 DD and 1 DGD, they live .5 miles from us...!

Planning to call it "quits" in 2-3 years and sooner if DW lets me. J*b is one I enjoy at the moment, so not a huge deal and I get plenty of time off for 1-2 week jaunts at a time.

Need to consolidate all my 401k's and IRA's one day. Would like to have a simplified strategy and not have to think about multiple accounts...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom