AMZN strikes again, with Sears Kenmore deal

kgtest

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As if we didn't already know, AMZN takes on yet another service...appliances.

The strategy remains, overcome and make better any service that paying consumers require.

Make better requires analytics/data which AMZN now gets in the form of, how many loads, how long, how hard, what temp, how much energy, how much non-usage for dish,dryer,wash and who knows what else. Don't be talking to the frig RobbieB, AMZN will know what your favorite cut is without you even knowing. Oh, wait we already know that.

Make better requires analytics/data which AMZN now gets in the form of, how many loads, how long, how hard, what temp, how much energy, how much non-usage for dish,dryer,wash and who knows what else. Don't be talking to the frig RobbieB, AMZN will know what your favorite cut is without you even knowing. Oh, wait we already know that.

And be able to send you the consumables (soap, rinse aid, oven cleaner, etc) that you need to use with these appliances. Automatically, when the analytics decides you are likely to need them....

Perhaps turning the appliance business into the razor/razor blade model. Sell a cheap (or nice) appliance and then years of periodic payments for the stuff you use with it.

It's interesting how mail order has come full circle. In the first half of the 20th century the mail-order catalogs from Sears and Wards were go-to purchasing options for consumers, especially those in rural areas. By 1970 they were all but dead as mall shopping and big-box discount stores became popular.

Now mall retailers and some big-box stores are on the decline as mail order makes a comeback, buoyed by quick shipping, broad selections and, often, a wink at sales taxes.

I'm glad to see this. I've owned several very good quality Kenmore appliances and hope this deal can keep that going.

I'm glad to see this. I've owned several very good quality Kenmore appliances and hope this deal can keep that going.
"Kenmore" never made anything. They have been for the most part, just re-branded Whirlpools.

I remember when I was a child, whenever we needed an appliance we went to Sears. Almost always got the floor model. The sears near me is long long gone. That was the end of Kenmore in our homes. I like to see appliances in person

"Kenmore" never made anything. They have been for the most part, just re-branded Whirlpools.

I think they built their reputation on machines designed to their specs built by various mfrs. The internal bits and pieces like motors and valves seem to be common for all the appliance makers.

I don't understand why they need sears. they could just wait a few months and buy the distribution rights for kenmore for peanuts at the bankruptcy sale.

Sears once owned 23% of Whirlpool and virtually all their appliances were made by them.

In recent years, Sears cut deals with many other appliance companies to handle their brands.

There's a trend in appliances over the last few years. Everything's gone cheap--inside and out. But the appliances are higher tech, and they look so good. They're not so good in quality, however. Our appliance repairman is perhaps the busiest guy you've ever seen, and just about all the appliances are causing trouble of some kind. Prices have never been higher, however.

The appliance world continues to consolidate. GE Appliances are not owned by General Electric any longer. Amana has been sold. Whirlpool appliances are made side by side with Maytag--and the same models can have either name. We look up, and Fridgidare is owned by Electrolux, and they're building huge factories in Memphis. Who knows what the future holds for appliances.

For washers/dryers, we like Speed Queen and Fisher Paykel. For dishwashers, Bosch is the brand. For refrigerators, we like the side by side on top, a fridge drawer in the middle and a big freezer drawer in the bottom--any brand. For stoves, we still like our General Electric Profile with a small and a big oven. The premium gas models remain incredibly expensive--taking us out of the market.

... Prices have never been higher, however..

I have to disagree with that assertion. My Dad tries to make the same statement, but the receipts he has kept FOREVER tells a very much different story when corrected to today's dollar. Although, I will admit that they lasted a lot longer, too. They are quickly becoming throw away staples.

As if we didn't already know, AMZN takes on yet another service...appliances.

The strategy remains, overcome and make better any service that paying consumers require.

ExFlyBoy5;1912743 <SNIP> They are quickly becoming throw away staples.[/QUOTE said:
So, who will handle maintenance or do folks just wheel them out on the curb when they quit the first time?

Back
Top Bottom