New ER passtime, D&D!

Fermion

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Recently my wife and I have joined a local game club who meet once a week at a member's house to play D&D. I missed out on this during the 80s and have actually been enjoying getting back to pen and paper. Half of our time is spent eating and discussing random movies and events and the other half is going through the dungeon master's campaign. I am a level 6 priest (I usually play a healer or tank in online games so just went with what I know) who is LG (which seems to stand for lawful good, although I won't bat and eye at stealing treasure from an empty house unlike the paladin in our group who won't even go into a house uninvited).

I would imagine I am the only one on ER.org playing D&D :LOL:

i played with the original 3 book set back in the late 70s. We played through HS and college. I still have my dice!

I have not played since the 80's, but used to like it.

I had (still have) quite religious parents who would have burned any D&D books I brought home in the 80s and taken me to a summer retreat for an intervention.

I don't joke.

I feel that now that I am fired and in my mid 40s, I can play what I want to play.

I played countless hours of D&D in the 80s and absolutely loved it. I think the last time I played was probably 1984, and by then it was starting to lose some of its appeal for me.

In recent years, though, I've gotten back into the world of fantasy gaming, but in a different format. I now play Magic: The Gathering and a few other fantasy/horror-themed board games with friends about once a month. If you like D&D and haven't tried Magic, I'd recommend giving it a shot. Definitely one of my most enjoyable new hobbies.

maxresdefault.jpg

You're not the only one! I've been playing since I was 18, DH since he was about 8. We have two different campaigns going on alternate Fridays, and I don't see us stopping until we're too old and decrepit to roll dice anymore. :D

Part of the attraction to me is getting away from the computer, as I have played nearly a dog lifetime of World of Warcraft. It is the difference between reading a book and watching a movie. Both can be entertaining but in different ways.

You are in a cavern...

From my username, it will surprise no one that I would be all over this like orcs on a manwich.

But thirty-odd years ago, careers and children and chores elbowed out my beloved nerdly interests, so revisiting this one will have to wait till I RE. Less than TMY to go.

i played with the original 3 book set back in the late 70s. We played through HS and college. I still have my dice!

Me too. Started in '75. I still have the original 3 books, the little paper pamphlet set. My Organic Chemistry prof also owned a small hobby shop in town, and we'd play in the back room in the winter, since we didn't have heat in our $60/month house. Good times. Even when I started working at my first Mega non-profit a bunch of us would get together at lunch for a quick adventure. I still use a couple of my old character names as usernames on other forums.

Enjoy. Creative imagination is great. Although I prefer Chaotic Neutral.

Interesting that you guys saved your books and dice from the 70's. So have I. That says something about the impact of the game on our lives.

In many ways my D&D years were peak years for me, possibly the first ones I'd choose to relive if given a chance.

6a00d8342297e353ef017c3407e96d970b-600wi

Never played D&D. But got hooked by Everquest on the PC years ago. Avoid it if you can. It's not called Evercrack for nothing!

Nope. D&D is a hoot! I say that as a half-elf warrior. 😉

Anyone who wants to play, Meetup.com is a good place to find a local game. You'll need a player's guide and some dice.

SIS

Nope. D&D is a hoot! I say that as a half-elf warrior. 😉

Anyone who wants to play, Meetup.com is a good place to find a local game. You'll need a player's guide and some dice.

SIS

Yes, Meetup is where I found this group. In a small small town in the middle of nowhere. I would never have known a group existed in this area.

So see, there IS a reason I spend so much time on the internet!

(Rolls a perception check, critical fail)

Back
Top Bottom