Inexpensive waterproof camera recommendations?

Earl E Retyre

Full time employment: Posting here.
So, I was thinking of buying an inexpensive waterproof camera for my upcoming Cayman beach trip.

As I started researching I noticed that there are a ton of tiny GoPro waterproof action camera knock-offs for about $60. If they actually worked, it would be cool to take these snorkeling and on the beach. And as an added bonus they come with an attachment I could install on my bike.

When reading the reviews, I am not so sure of the quality. Anyone buy any of these? Recommendations?

GoPros are excellent IMHO.

Another idea: When we were in the Galapagos earlier this year, a lot of people (including me) were simply using their iPhones in a ziplock bag while snorkeling. That worked very well too.

I'd just spend a few extra bucks and get a GoPro (used if you want to save money). I got mine on Ebay and saved a ton by not getting the latest model and getting it used.

I have a GoPro hero 3 and it works great underwater. I’d recommend getting a GoPro rather than a knockoff. But I saw bad reviews on the new Hero6. If you can get a good deal on a Hero 5, that would be the route I would go.

I have taken this Nikon COOLPIX S33 Waterproof Digital Camera to the Galapagos, Costa Rica, Sea of Cortez, I paid around $100 takes nice photos and it takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

We have an Olympus Tough that we use snorkeling. Takes video too. BUT I can highly recommend getting a couple cheap underwater LED flashlights around $15 bucks and go out at night. You don't have to go far out to see a whole new world

Do an online search, there are several GoPro clones in the $70-100 range. I am sure reviewers will address waterproof performance. But you what you pay for by and large.

I have a GoPro Hero3+, and it’s great, no need to buy a new one for me. I just used it for a project two weeks ago. Buying a used GoPro is probably the safest bargain choice as others have suggested. Borrowing a GoPro from friends or family would be the cheapest option.

And there are waterproof cases for most any smartphone for $7 and up. They work fine as long as you don’t go deep with them. https://www.amazon.com/waterproof-i...8&page=1&rh=n:172282,k:waterproof iphone case

Last edited:
So, I was thinking of buying an inexpensive waterproof camera for my upcoming Cayman beach trip.

As I started researching I noticed that there are a ton of tiny GoPro waterproof action camera knock-offs for about $60. If they actually worked, it would be cool to take these snorkeling and on the beach. And as an added bonus they come with an attachment I could install on my bike.

When reading the reviews, I am not so sure of the quality. Anyone buy any of these? Recommendations?

I bought a 4K AKASO EK7000 for about $34.85 with free shipping on Ebay. The 32GB micro SD Card was about $8. It takes very good videos. I only tested it in 1080P and 4K modes. Both were good. I used it for underwater videos in Florida and Turks and Caicos last December. It works well. I would not waste money on a Gopro. The Hero 5 is about $400. For less money ($329) I just bought a Lumix FZ80 for 4K shooting and still photography. You can buy both for less money than the GoPro. Check Youtube for sample videos of the EK7000. I also have a Canon Rebel t2i with multiple lenses. It can only shoot 1080P but it takes great still photos.

Curious, do these action cameras (GoPro and clones) only take video well? Or can they take still images too? It would seem you need both for vacation photography?

Curious, do these action cameras (GoPro and clones) only take video well? Or can they take still images too? It would seem you need both for vacation photography?

They take still pictures to but these action cameras have extreme wide angle lenses. They are great for underwater video, cycling, and other sports.

I have a Sony Coolpix AW100 camera that goes with me everywhere. Anything from snorkeling to climbing in the mountains. It lives in my back pocket. Sony now has an updated model...AW130.

They take still pictures to but these action cameras have extreme wide angle lenses. They are great for underwater video, cycling, and other sports.

Thanks all for the responses.

So if I want to use the AKASO (or GoPro) for still pictures, the extreme wide angle lens would distort the image too much?

For still images, would an iPhone take a better picture?

Thanks all for the responses.

So if I want to use the AKASO (or GoPro) for still pictures, the extreme wide angle lens would distort the image too much?

For still images, would an iPhone take a better picture?

Yes if you tilt the camera up or down with respect to the subject. You get a slight fish eye type distortion. Also they are small and not easy to hold still when snapping pictures. Sorry for all my typos in previous posts...

But underwater due to the refraction the fisheye effect won't be as noticeable as above water.

They have specially made waterproof ziplocs with touch sensitive film. I would not use a regular ziploc bag.

I appreciate everyone applying an abundance of caution and pooh-poohing the idea of using an ordinary ziplock bag for an iPhone underwater, but I assure you they work just fine. I used one every day for a week in the Galapagos and so did several others. We had the same results as those using the special bags.

I bought a 4K AKASO EK7000 for about $34.85 with free shipping on Ebay. The 32GB micro SD Card was about $8. It takes very good videos. I only tested it in 1080P and 4K modes. Both were good. I used it for underwater videos in Florida and Turks and Caicos last December. It works well. I would not waste money on a Gopro. The Hero 5 is about $400. For less money ($329) I just bought a Lumix FZ80 for 4K shooting and still photography. You can buy both for less money than the GoPro. Check Youtube for sample videos of the EK7000. I also have a Canon Rebel t2i with multiple lenses. It can only shoot 1080P but it takes great still photos.

I would not want to use my iphone in a ziplock bag, maybe an old phone just to use as a camera inside one of those $10 waterproof bags.

as they plastic is thicker and I find zip lock bags do unzip to easily or tear.

This type of thing:
https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Waterpr...&sr=8-7&keywords=waterproof+bags+for+swimming

I just wanted to say thanks to both Freedom56 and Sunset. I just returned from my trip. I wound up buying the Akaso on Amazon for around $70 - a fraction of the cost of a GoPro. The pictures came out wonderful. Even the still (above water) pics came out better than my point and click. I am very happy with it.

I also purchased the Mpow iPhone ziplock like case and it protected the phone. Two cases cost ~ $12 and they work (and even float).

I just wanted to say thanks to both Freedom56 and Sunset. I just returned from my trip. I wound up buying the Akaso on Amazon for around $70 - a fraction of the cost of a GoPro. The pictures came out wonderful. Even the still (above water) pics came out better than my point and click. I am very happy with it.

I also purchased the Mpow iPhone ziplock like case and it protected the phone. Two cases cost ~ $12 and they work (and even float).

Glad to help but you paid too much for it. Ebay had better deals. Now you know why Gopro is a $8 stock. This is what happens when you manufacture in China and try to charge premium pricing. The clones come out from plants down the street. With the money you saved you can buy the Lumix FZ-80 superzoom still and 4K video camera. I am testing it now in Florida. It is unbelievable for the price. I didn't even bother to take my Canon DSLR or video cameras and all the lenses this time. The 4K video quality from this camera is unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom