Does anyone use bookmarks anymore?

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I recently noticed that I haven't accessed any of my hundreds (thousands?) of web bookmarks in years. Nor have I bookmarked anything recently. Whenever I want to find something I just use Google. I am curious about whether others are doing the same. Also, are others finding more effective ways to retrieve/remember things than bookmarks?

Both physical and electronic bookmarks, yes. I almost exclusively use my bookmarks bar, and have bookmarks in all of the physical books I'm reading (3 at the moment!). BUT, I only have ~ 10 internet bookmarks for pages I frequent.

I have bookmark folders, so my bookmarks bar is really another drop-down menu bar. But I don't even have 30 total bookmarks in all.

Last edited:
I use bookmarks all the time and have lots of them in the browser. Also use bookmarks in paper books as I read or may want to reference.

Use them all the time.
Bookmarks in physical books.
Bookmarks in e-books.
Bookmarks for websites I frequent - organized into folders for easy retrieval.

- Rita

Instead of web bookmarks I still make shortcuts on my computer and will even get suitable pictures to help me find what I want rapidly. My shortcut for here has a tiny island with two coconut trees on it and is named early retirement.

Physical books I tend to own them and read them once so I dog ear them with the bent over page corner.

I rely on them heavily.

For a bookmark manager, after Delicious folded I switched to TagPacker.

I do. I would be lost without my bookmarks.

I still use bookmarks. There are a lot of places to get sports news, or the weekly college football TV listings, but there a few I like best so I bookmark them rather than rely on google and have to relearn which are good and which are not. I can fast track to my favorite weather site for my location rather than google it and then type in my location, and then realize that this site doesn't show my particular location. Just a couple examples of why I use them.

Only in physical books. The web browser is very smart, usually type first two letters and select from the list provided.

I use them every day. But I don't have hundreds, just a few dozen (excluding recipes - almost a hundred of those in their own folder). And I've got them organized in folders, with the daily ones in the main Favorites list.

As a matter of fact, when I bought a new Dell laptop that had Win10 already installed, I started having a problem where whenever MS forced an update on me, or sometimes just on a reboot, my bookmarks would get alphabetized. I found that incredibly annoying as I have them ordered by importance to me (ER.org is 6th). I searched and experimented, but couldn't find a way to stop it. So I ended up prefacing them with aaa, aab, aac, etc. So now when MS reorders them they come out right.

I'd waste a lot of time googling the sites I visit every day. Bookmarks are much faster.

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if I can leave my Kindle library to someone in my will or does it die with me?

-BB

Our Will has a lengthy clause for "digital assets," in which you can list how you want your executor to dispose of anything you have created or own in the digital world. So, yes, but couldn't you just leave the Kindle itself to them?

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if I can leave my Kindle library to someone in my will or does it die with me?

-BB

I don't bookmark as much as I used to. But I did bookmark a photography site today. I do a lot of printscreens of images/ web pages for future reference. More just to be able to visualize something rather than bookmarking to access the site that the image came from.

Heavy bookmark user here with a lot of sub-directories. I do try to keep them cleaned up. Example, a few months ago I deleted my NFL sub-directory. I must have had 30 to 40 bookmarks in it.

Last edited:
Also occasionally enjoy a naughty guilt twinge as I fold a page back instead, but really prefer to use physical book marks as I have accumulated so many over the years. As far as website bookmarks, I find them useful. Rarely clean them out as it is of interest to check back and see what I was focusing on 3 or 6 months ago, or even 3 or 6 years ago.

I have collections of favorite sites bookmarked that I use.

I always use bookmarks to go to bank or brokerage or bill payment site, a simple mispelling could mean you end up at a phishing site instead of the real site.

I'm still a heavy bookmark user.
+1. As for the OP bookmark alternative, I can’t imagine why I’d want to Google my favorites everyday. YMMV

Last edited:
I guess I still use bookmarks to an extent. I have a handful on the menu bar that I use for frequent sites like my bank. I also keep a set of tabs for email accounts, FB, and an RSS reader as my homepage. What provoked my question is that out of curiosity I opened the "other bookmarks" folder and realized I hadn't been in there with it's mass of bookmarks in a long time. Sort of an interesting way-back-machine to browse through but essentially useless to me.

Back
Top Bottom