Poll: The annual "horrible Christmas carol" poll

All time worst holiday Song

• Grandma got run over by a reindeer? really? elder abuse

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • The Chipmunks Christmas song.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Santa Baby, lol, doesn't he have a wife!!

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • I want a hippopotamus for Christmas

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Other...

Votes: 28 36.4%

• Total voters

bclover

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Generally I'm a big lover of the holidays, "goodwill to men and raise a glass type" of gal. I also like Christmas carols, I will admit I liked them better back in the old days when they did not start playing them in October but that's a gripe for another day.

Anyhoo, there are some songs though that have me ready to celebrate Hanukkah.

My all time, cringe worthy song...That stupid chipmunks song..I hate that song with nuclear capability.

runners up.

James brown's "santa clause go straight to the Ghetto". really James?, most folks are trying to get "out" of the hood.

and the Christmas shoes because nothing says happy holidays like hearing about some kid trying to buy shoes for his dying mother. :rolleyes:

I included a poll but realize that there are so many candidates. feel free to add your own.

Last edited:
My all-time hate, because of its treacle, bouncy meter, and gender-specific toy references, is "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas." I have loathed that song since I was a little girl, who wanted (but did not receive) boys' toys, and didn't like dolls.

I also don't like Wham's "Last Christmas" (treacly, earworm, creepy references to wrapping heart in paper and putting it in a box) or "Santa Baby" (just plain icky).

I love novelty Christmas songs, the sillier/rauncher/edgier the better. I know it's wicked of me, but I know all the words to "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer." It's not elder abuse, it's a cautionary tale. Grandma was obviously unpopular, Grandpa is happier with her gone, and she basically dug her own grave by drinking too much eggnog, not taking her medication, and staggering out the door into the snow despite family's efforts to stop her.

Last edited:
Pa rup a dumb dumb

I voted other.
I detest the song "The Little Drummer Boy", especially the obnoxious refrain. I don't care who sings or how its arranged, its like nails on a chalk board to me.

I voted other.
I detest the song "The Little Drummer Boy", especially the obnoxious refrain. I don't care who sings or how its arranged, its like nails on a chalk board to me.

+1

I voted other.

That would be my candidate as well.

I love novelty Christmas songs, the sillier/rauncher/edgier the better. I know it's wicked of me, but I know all the words to "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer." ....

+1. The McKenzie brothers' "twelve days ..." also brings a smile to my face.

(And I am with bclover in detesting the chipmunks christmas song!)

Novelty songs don't bother me as long as they die out after a year. I object to every artist producing a Christmas Album. It was a novelty when Elvis did it, but it got old quickly.

Annie Lennox is one of my favorite artists, but her version of “God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman” is cringeworthy.

There are two radio stations locally that play every version of every Christmas, oops, "holiday" song through December 25th. Don't use those buttons on the car radio during that time.

To me, obnoxious Christmas music in stores is one more reason to shop online. I hate all of it. Bah humbug!

I was, and still remain, a bit of a "Grinch". Didn't know it at the time, but I suffer from light deprivation seasonal depression so growing up in the extreme northern midwest made me a miserable person and a miserable person to be around during the Christmas season.

I've moved South and it has considerably eased the seasonal depression, along with the knowledge of why I feel so down this time of year, but I continue to cringe at most Holiday music.

I think it's the repetitious play. You can't seem to get away from it, every store, every outside walking mall....if I hear "frosty the snowman" one more time........:banghead:

Those of us that cringe can grin and bear it for a few weeks, thankfully only about 6 weeks, to give pleasure to those fortunate souls that seem to enjoy it.

I voted for "other". Can't stand "Merry Xmas (War is Over)". I think it's Yoko's voice that gets me.

There are two radio stations locally that play every version of every Christmas, oops, "holiday" song through December 25th. Don't use those buttons on the car radio during that time.

My favorite (music) radio stations plays a lot of Christmas songs this time of year, of course, and it becomes difficult (and annoying) to keep having to switch to different stations on the car radio to find one which isn't playing a Christmas song or isn't in a 3 or 4-minute commercial break.

Being born Jewish but have been an atheist since I was 13 (41 years ago), this time of year holds no meaning to me at all. Just get me to December 26th as soon as possible so all the holiday stuff can go away, from the songs on the radio to the TV ads to holiday decorations. I'm a Scrooge, and I'm damn proud of it!

I voted other.

Add me to this. I change the radio station when it comes on in the car.

Being born Jewish but have been an atheist since I was 13 (41 years ago), this time of year holds no meaning to me at all. Just get me to December 26th as soon as possible so all the holiday stuff can go away, from the songs on the radio to the TV ads to holiday decorations. I'm a Scrooge, and I'm damn proud of it!

Matunda ya Kwanzaa! Joyous Kwanza!

Yep, me too on Little Drummer Boy as my most disliked
Christmas song.

John and George happy to be gone

I hate to join in disparaging former Beatles, but I can't stand McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas time".

Sir Paul probably felt some pressure to record his own yuletide song, but he just mailed it in on this one.

Now, having had to consider the poll question, that annoying tune is stuck in my head. Simply having... Arrgh!

Back in my FM radio days, I couldn't wait to hear the first playing of "Feliz Navidad" by Jose Feliciano. For some reason as I've gotten older, many of the classics are just not that enjoyable. Bing Crosby's version of White Christmas is such a slow dirge....makes me want to stick a needle in my eye.
I now gravitate toward holiday instrumentals. Stuff like Jim Brickman, Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

I voted other.

Yes, I agree.The Little Drummer Boy is just awful.

A close second is the 12 Days of Christmas where we get to hear the same lines repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

It's a shame really because if one celebrates the 12 days of Christmas (12/25 through 1/6 for those of you not among the cognoscenti :D) it's a chance to stretch out a wonderful holiday time of giving, sharing and just enjoying friends and family. I like to celebrate all 12 days, especially since by then the stores and malls have ended their desecration of the holiday and moved on to ruining New Years, Valentine s Day, Presidents Day etc. While their Christmas comes to a crashing halt on the 26th, I still have 11 more days to go. :dance:

Last edited:
One of the nice things about being a retired INTJ who lives alone, doesn't entertain, and doesn't do much at all for Christmas, is that I haven't yet heard any Christmas music at all this year. Not even any of the really beautiful Christmas songs, much less the worst ones.

When Christmas gets closer, I'll probably go to youtube and listen to some that I like.

I am one of the very few who actually likes The Little Drummer Boy. I am not familiar with any of those songs on the list, other than Grandma got Run Over by a Reindeer which I think is just stupid and juvenile.

OTOH, I have one album I truly enjoy listening to at this time of year (mainly in the car). One man, one acoustic guitar, purely instrumental.

The New Possibility: John Fahey's Guitar Soli Christmas Album
John Fahey has made a habit of recording a new album of Christmas music every five or six years, but The New Possibility, which was originally released in 1968, is still his best. On it, Fahey has pulled off the near miraculous feat of taking old holiday chestnuts like "Joy to the World" and "It Came upon a Midnight Clear" and making them sound fresh.

I've enjoyed this album immensely ever since I bought it on vinyl 40 years ago. Highly recommended.

All of them. I wish I could find a station playing music I like that DIDN'T play Christmas music.

On Thanksgiving, I was listening to my favorite country radio station when they started playing a Mariah Carey Christmas song...

A. It was THANKSGIVING.... can't you avoid playing songs for another holiday ON AN ACTUAL HOLIDAY??
B. Mariah Carey is NOT a country artist.
C. Christmas songs are NOT country music.

So why were my ears being assaulted with that crap on Thanksgiving?? :mad::mad::mad:

Back
Top Bottom