Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   FIRE and Money (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/)
-   -   Blow that dough (It's official now) (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/blow-that-dough-its-official-now-89863.html)

braumeister 12-19-2017 03:20 PM

Blow that dough (It's official now)

Funny bit in Bloomberg today:
Quote:

You should be spending more money in 2018.
Some financial services firms are telling retirees to make an unusual New Year’s resolution: start blowing through more of their savings. In theory, that should be a pleasant prospect. In reality, it’s hard to flip a mental switch after decades of saving.
Why You Should Be Spending More Money in 2018

Just like RobbieB has been telling us all along. :dance:

foxfirev5 12-19-2017 03:28 PM

My biggest problem is that if you endured years of sacrifice to get this point of picking up on the W/D is pretty sad. WOW you missed out on your best years. If I had any advice to give it would be a balance of savings and spending. Of course my opinion is biased based on my own situation.

athena53 12-19-2017 03:31 PM

I'm going to ignore them. Just as I'm going to ignore the "experts" who tell us to spend less next time the market takes a dive.

Live And Learn 12-19-2017 03:32 PM

Over the past few weeks I've been concerned that I've been sort of "complacent" about the extra spending I've been doing. I'm still within overall budget, but some of the spending is "wasteful" in my LBYM mind.

Rather than spending more next year I am resolving to get back to my normal spending habits, which give me a comfortable life without waste.

Danmar 12-19-2017 03:35 PM

Yes, I plan to spend more next year and this year too. Have liquidated funds to do so. The Canadian market hasn’t risen as much as the US but still double digits returns for me 5his year and about 25% last year. Pretty clear to me I am past the worst period of sequence of return risk.

joeea 12-19-2017 03:42 PM

The article says "wealthy" retirees should learn to decumulate faster. Fair enough.

Those who aren't so wealthy probably should be more careful.

One thing I'll disagree about. The article stated "Boomers have defined benefit pension plans ". If they had written "some Boomers" it would have made more sense.

W2R 12-19-2017 03:44 PM

I keep trying to increase my WR (thus spending percentage), but my portfolio keeps growing so it hasn't gone up this year. What's a retiree gonna do? :laugh:

Oh, maybe I know! Buy a new SUV, that ought to do it..... ;D

I'm doing my best :baconflag: to singlehandedly prop up the US economy. ;)

gayl 12-19-2017 04:18 PM

Trying to do my part but as foxfirev5 said it's hard after a lifetime of being frugal. But I'm learning. Started RE with a goal of putting aside $1375 month for travel / transferring to next generation. Wound up with 3 long trips paid in full (next one on February), handing out $$ tonight (last night of Hanukkah), only shifted 6k to investments, and savings up only 1k -- so close.

Like joeea I also wonder about the definition of 'wealthy.'

Agree with Athena53 -- markets go up & down -- ignoring market gurus is probably safest course

:dance: Happy Holidays Yall! :dance:

dtbach 12-19-2017 04:31 PM

I finally started to take the "magical" 4% and can't really spend it all! Guess I need to order more appetizers and deserts. . . .

Sunset 12-19-2017 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 1982460)
I'm going to ignore them. Just as I'm going to ignore the "experts" who tell us to spend less next time the market takes a dive.

I agree, as these same experts probably told people the same thing in 1928.... :facepalm:

Walt34 12-19-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 1982506)
I agree, as these same experts probably told people the same thing in 1928.... :facepalm:

But wait... It's different this time!:laugh:

W2R 12-19-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtbach (Post 1982505)
I finally started to take the "magical" 4% and can't really spend it all! Guess I need to order more appetizers and deserts. . . .

Today I ordered one of those oh-so-tempting fancy salads, even though it cost twice as much as my usual cup of soup. It consisted of mixed greens, marinated artichokes, red onions, roasted cherry tomatoes, capers, walnuts, salami, and basil pesto vinaigrette dressing. I thought it had some feta cheese in it but apparently that was just my active imagination because it isn't supposed to have cheese.

Anyway it was huge, and probably wasn't one bit slenderizing but I thought it was delicious and sure filling. Brought half of it home. The cost and calories are why I hadn't ordered it before. I literally did justify it to myself by thinking of recent market gains. :laugh:

Car-Guy 12-19-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1982471)

Trust me, you are not alone. :)

aja8888 12-19-2017 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car-Guy (Post 1982512)
Trust me, you are not alone. :)

+2

W2R 12-19-2017 04:47 PM

We can do it, gang! :rofl: Oh, the sacrifice. ;D

:baconflag: :baconflag: :baconflag:

HadEnuff 12-19-2017 04:48 PM

Dow went down 34 points today. Time to tighten the belt a notch.

MRG 12-19-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 1982506)

The ole man told me the party continued well into '29.

MuirWannabe 12-19-2017 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1982509)
Today I ordered one of those oh-so-tempting fancy salads, even though it cost twice as much as my usual cup of soup. It consisted of mixed greens, marinated artichokes, red onions, roasted cherry tomatoes, capers, walnuts, salami, and basil pesto vinaigrette dressing. I thought it had some feta cheese in it but apparently that was just my active imagination because it isn't supposed to have cheese.

Anyway it was huge, and probably wasn't one bit slenderizing but I thought it was delicious and sure filling. Brought half of it home. The cost and calories are why I hadn't ordered it before. I literally did justify it to myself by thinking of recent market gains. :laugh:

Really? A salad? Slow down girl! You’re blowing that dough like a maniac. [emoji4]

W2R 12-19-2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuirWannabe (Post 1982528)
Really? A salad? Slow down girl! You’re blowing that dough like a maniac. [emoji4]

:laugh: It was delicious, and not cheap like a little side salad - - with tax and tip it was $11-$12, blow that dough! :dance:

W2R 12-19-2017 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HadEnuff (Post 1982517)
Dow went down 34 points today. Time to tighten the belt a notch.

But Wellesley dividends showed up, so today the total of my investments plus bank accounts was higher than it has ever been in my life.

Plus, it is hard to get upset about the Dow being down to 24,755. Simply amazing!

aja8888 12-19-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1982530)
But Wellesley dividends showed up, so today the total of my investments plus bank accounts was higher than it has ever been in my life.

Plus, it is hard to get upset about the Dow being down to 24,755. Simply amazing!

Yes!

DILLEY DILLEY!!:coolsmiley:

MRG 12-19-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 1982534)
Yes!

Dilley dilley.

The new wh....!

W2R 12-19-2017 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 1982534)
Yes!

;D Yes!!! I had to google it to find out what that meant, but now that I know, dilley dilley for sure.

Pretty cool, huh. ;D With this market, sometimes I wonder if I am dreaming, hallucinating, or what. But whatever it is, I'll take it.

braumeister 12-19-2017 05:20 PM

I'm doing my best, but it's not easy. The last two years saw the largest expenditures on travel ever, and next year will be in the same league. I'm also going to buy the most expensive new car I've ever owned, so that's part of it too. Still won't hit the 4% WR though.

W2R 12-19-2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 1982544)
I'm doing my best, but it's not easy. The last two years saw the largest expenditures on travel ever, and next year will be in the same league. I'm also going to buy the most expensive new car I've ever owned, so that's part of it too. Still won't hit the 4% WR though.

Good work, though! We, members of the Early Retirement Forum High Spenders Club will struggle to keep the economy propped up if it kills us. :baconflag:

:rofl:

athena53 12-19-2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 1982544)

Well, as soon as the market tanks again the same folks who came out of the woodwork during the financial crisis will again pontificate about how 2% might be better as a safe withdrawal rate. Better buy that car now!

hesperus 12-19-2017 05:28 PM

We're doing our part. Upcoming ski trip to Whistler/Blackcomb in feb, first class air, slopeside lodging & all the perks.

FIREd 12-19-2017 05:30 PM

Not interested in spending more. Our sub 3% WR gives us a pretty high level of comfort already, as we have been recently reminded while spending time with family for the holidays.

I have no desire to travel more extensively and we have plenty of nice things to enjoy as is.

Another Reader 12-19-2017 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1982471)
I keep trying to increase my WR (thus spending percentage), but my portfolio keeps growing so it hasn't gone up this year. What's a retiree gonna do? :laugh:

Oh, maybe I know! Buy a new SUV, that ought to do it..... ;D

So, when are you going to buy that beauty and post a picture?

Walt34 12-19-2017 05:34 PM

No new cars or trips for us but I did buy a brand-new snow thrower and DW went a little nutso buying stuff for the grandnephews and grandnieces. I'll have to email their respective parents and tell them to bring their largest vehicles to the Christmas family gathering so they'll have room to haul all that stuff back home.

W2R 12-19-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Another Reader (Post 1982561)
So, when are you going to buy that beauty and post a picture?

Patience, patience! :rofl: I need to coordinate some stuff, decide on what vehicle, and torture curious ER Forum members a little while longer..... >:D

Islandtraveler 12-19-2017 05:43 PM

On the golf course of life, I am on the 13th. hole (statistically speaking) I'm not thinking I want to buy the whole club a drink at the 19th. Got a 13 day trip to Italy planned for 2018. Your dead a long time.

HadEnuff 12-19-2017 06:42 PM

My situation seems to be that as I have achieved a level of affluence, I no longer enjoy things like international travel, and heavy restaurant meals. I seem to enjoy my own cooking and my own bed.
A lot of what I thought would be great fun upon retirement has turned out to be an opportunity to be uncomfortable.

I did buy two whole beef tenderloins to enjoy,and to to chop up and give out as Christmas presents...so there is that...

meierlde 12-19-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HadEnuff (Post 1982603)
My situation seems to be that as I have achieved a level of affluence, I no longer enjoy things like international travel, and heavy restaurant meals. I seem to enjoy my own cooking and my own bed.
A lot of what I thought would be great fun upon retirement has turned out to be an opportunity to be uncomfortable.

I did buy two whole beef tenderloins to enjoy,and to to chop up and give out as Christmas presents...so there is that...

For several years while working I would go scuba diving 3 times a year, and at that time looked forward to more when retired. However after about 10 years I got burned out on it since I would get a cold nearly every time I took a trip (and colds and scuba don't mix well). So I gave it up.

RobbieB 12-19-2017 07:17 PM

Woo-Hoo, my theme - :)

Yeah Baby! Blow that dough!

I bought myself a Christmas present this year. A one of a kind hand made knife, mirror polished with grade AAA mother of pearl scales. Two grand.

Live the dream - :)

Meadbh 12-19-2017 07:22 PM

I just returned from a trip to Ireland for a family wedding. Ireland is expensive. Weddings are expensive. Particularly when they are held at locations that look like Downton Abbey. With hats. Oh well. :laugh:

street 12-19-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 1982618)

I bought myself a Christmas present this year. A one of a kind hand made knife, mirror polished with grade AAA mother of pearl scales. Two grand.

When I saw the title I thought of you and was wondering when you might jump in. LOL

I have no plan on spending more this year other then what we have budgeted. There is always the unexpected things that come up so that will be my spending more if I have too. In a few years I will open things up still staying on course what I have to spend for now.

FreeBear 12-19-2017 07:26 PM

This year we spent like it was 1999! Oh, never mind....

Big dental combined with massive (for us!) vacation. So, part bad luck and part just pent up vacation demand. We were somewhat austere in 2015 and 2016 due to the tepid economy and my nervousness as an ER. The strong market did encourage us to blow out the budget this year, but we'll reign it in for 2018, or so goes the plan...

I think it will be another 5-7 years before I even consider revising upwards the spending plan. Our SWR is probably somewhat aggressive, at least by ER.org standards, although conservative by MMM standards. No need for even more risk until we get further out from the sequence of returns shadow.

Dawg52 12-19-2017 07:45 PM

I just bought a new pair of golf shoes and a putter. I'm getting wild and crazy in my old age.

pb4uski 12-19-2017 08:23 PM

I'm actually more concerned with not spending enough now while we are young enough to enjoy it and dying old and rich.... though I guess that beats the pants off of old and poor.

DD's wedding this year primed the pump.... DW's kitchen remodel in 2018 will keep it primed.

Dilley, dilley!

Cayman 12-19-2017 11:55 PM

Thanks W2R, Braumeister and all you big spenders for your efforts to prop our economy, and have Fun! 6 months into ER, DH and I are holding our WR low (>3%) until we get a few years under our belts... managing sequence risk.

Keep up the good work y'all! Dilley Dilley

NW-Bound 12-20-2017 01:16 AM

Quote:

But Wellesley dividends showed up, so today the total of my investments plus bank accounts was higher than it has ever been in my life...

Some of my MFs went ex-dividend today, and they dropped 7 to 9%, compared to the market dropping only 0.35%.

When the dividends finally get credited to the account I will be made whole again, but I cannot get too excited about that. Good thing these are in a tax-deferred account, else the divies make me poorer after I pay tax.

DrRoy 12-20-2017 05:32 AM

I'm working on it. New car in the garage, waiting for the new computer to deliver, going to Patagonia next year.

Ronstar 12-20-2017 05:45 AM

The article's title suggests that the author tells "why" we should spend our dough. But I don't see any "why" in the article. I do like the idea of spending more when I find a reason to.

Golden sunsets 12-20-2017 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1982529)
:laugh: It was delicious, and not cheap like a little side salad - - with tax and tip it was $11-$12, blow that dough! :dance:

But if you brought half of it home and ate it at another meal then actually you were being quite frugal 🤑🤑🤑

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

audreyh1 12-20-2017 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 1982546)
Well, as soon as the market tanks again the same folks who came out of the woodwork during the financial crisis will again pontificate about how 2% might be better as a safe withdrawal rate. Better buy that car now!

Exactly! If there is extra, now is the time to spend it, because when things tank it may become psychologically difficult to spend.

My reaction each year when I calculate my withdrawal amount is - wow, that’s so much! But then I realize - best to withdraw it now while I can, because it could shrink any day now.

DEC-1982 12-20-2017 06:17 AM

It's not the expert's money, it's somebody else's money.

MichaelB 12-20-2017 06:43 AM

Why spend it? To quote George Mallory “Because it’s there”

Braumeister, thanks for the link. It goes perfectly well with your new avatar. :)

Danmar 12-20-2017 07:41 AM

So let me ask this. If you don’t plan on spending more now, will you ever spend more? If not, I guess you have planned for a large legacy? I guess for some people with relatively small portfolios, might not be a big issue? If you don’t want to spend more, I presume you would have a very conservative AA? Just trying to understand how others think.

athena53 12-20-2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danmar (Post 1982785)
So let me ask this. If you don’t plan on spending more now, will you ever spend more?

My plan is that when the market tanks I won't have to decrease my spending.

I am, however, contemplating something I'd written off as too expensive: a cruise to the Galapagos in 2020. (Why 2020? because I have two major trips per year planned already for 2018 and 2019.;D) On my favorite line (UnCruise), a single cabin is going to run about $13K after discounts (one for being a past guest, one if I put a deposit down at the end of a previous cruise, and I have one in March, 2019). Then there's airfare to Quito, Ecuador.

It is good to have goals!

CaptTom 12-20-2017 08:30 AM

To those of you struggling to find a way to spend your money, just buy a boat.

They say you can make a small fortune with a boat. It's easy. Start with a large fortune, and buy a boat.

I might even know where you can find a captain :whistling:

USGrant1962 12-20-2017 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEC-1982 (Post 1982765)
It's not the expert's money, it's somebody else's money.

Well, they quote BlackRock. Usually investment firms have an interest in clients not spending, because spending cuts their assets, and hence their fees!

NW-Bound 12-20-2017 08:50 AM

I have not finished designing and building my battery system for solar energy storage. Else, I would blow more dough to get more lithium battery to have a 100kWh bank in my garden shed.

Mo, mo, mo... More lithium battery...

kcowan 12-20-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1982539)
dilley dilley for sure.

Pretty cool, huh. ;D With this market, sometimes I wonder if I am dreaming, hallucinating, or what. But whatever it is, I'll take it.

This sounds a lot like a "Whee!" to me! Duck everybody
Quote:

Originally Posted by hesperus (Post 1982553)
We're doing our part. Upcoming ski trip to Whistler/Blackcomb in feb, first class air, slopeside lodging & all the perks.

That is an easy place to BTD.
Quote:

Our hero!
Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 1982798)
I am, however, contemplating something I'd written off as too expensive: a cruise to the Galapagos in 2020. (Why 2020? because I have two major trips per year planned already for 2018 and 2019.;D) On my favorite line (UnCruise), a single cabin is going to run about $13K after discounts (one for being a past guest, one if I put a deposit down at the end of a previous cruise, and I have one in March, 2019). Then there's airfare to Quito, Ecuador.

It is good to have goals!

We are taking a Copper Canyon Tour in March. Gotta get the VPW up to 2%!

marko 12-20-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1982539)
With this market, sometimes I wonder if I am dreaming, hallucinating, or what.

As the great wit Mike Tyson once said "I don't know whether to be ecstatic or ludicrous"

Aerides 12-20-2017 09:01 AM

hah I was just discussing this topic with my parents, about how people are ER'ing and then spending only a 1.5% WD.

They were like "that's us!" (except not the ER part, regular R). But they are annoyed that they even have to have a 1.5 because it's from RMD's... They are living nicely off SS and pensions, small trips and a big vacation every year, and a few splurges here and there.

I plan to increase our spending once we are closer to SS/MC as the HC wild card will be resolved (one way or the other) by then, but that's a long ways off...

DrRoy 12-20-2017 09:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

To those of you struggling to find a way to spend your money, just buy a boat.

They say you can make a small fortune with a boat. It's easy. Start with a large fortune, and buy a boat.
+1.

athena53 12-20-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerides (Post 1982816)
I plan to increase our spending once we are closer to SS/MC as the HC wild card will be resolved (one way or the other) by then, but that's a long ways off...

Amen. I am just about to start Medicare on 1/1 after 3.5 years of ACA coverage with a high deductible. The good news/bad news is that, after paying $25K in premiums over that period, the only thing the insurers have paid for were regular preventative tests and I've had some very minor Urgent Care visits that I paid for. I will be very glad when I'm not exposed to a $6K deductible and sketchy out-of-network coverage anymore. May The Force be with you.

RockyMtn 12-20-2017 09:31 AM

ordered stone crab claws from Florida today for Xmas eve dinner. Trying to do my part!

pacergal 12-20-2017 10:05 AM

Spent way more than budgeted this first year of retirement due to very unexpected expenses, some good, some not so good. However, the market has returned everything we took out! So I feel somewhat better as the new year approaches. This next year will hopefully be more on budget for us!

daylatedollarshort 12-20-2017 11:15 AM

I'm still into trying to live high on the hog with a low withdrawal rate, preferably zero. I'm pretty close these days, once SS kicks in on top of pensions and some hobby income. We just laugh when we look at what we could spend on a 4% withdrawal rate. It just isn't us to even want to do that, though it is nice to know it is an option.

calmloki 12-20-2017 11:22 AM

If spending brings joy - spend. As a contrarian, google "year of spending nothing". I paw through drawers hunting something and find piles of stuff we bought and haven't used. Possessions just weigh me down. I do note that many here spend on experiences, which seems different.

Scuba 12-20-2017 02:11 PM

With the new tax bill eliminating deductibility of HELOC interest, we’ll probably pay it off before 1/1. No impact on NW, but definitely an impact on available cash.

MBAustin 12-20-2017 02:54 PM

Inspired by this thread, I ordered lobster tails and crab cakes for Christmas and NYE dinners. Of course, they were on sale with a special extra 5% off discount for ordering today - some habits are hard to break!

Walt34 12-20-2017 03:08 PM

For decades a SIL and BIL have hosted the large Christmas dinner and paid for most, if not all, of the food. We'd of course bring a side dish but they paid for the bulk of it. Although they have pensions, their income is now less than one-half of what it was and they've been having a hard time adjusting.

So for the last few years we've sprung for the spiral cut Honeybaked Ham that for some reason SIL feels is necessary and traditional at that dinner. So now that $90 (delivered) 10 lb. ham is in the refrigerator thawing. It's good ham, but I am hard put to tell the difference between that and the ones we can buy for less than half that price at any of the local grocery stores. But what the hey, it's once a year, we can easily afford it, it makes her feel good and we like them, and we do enjoy seeing everyone at the party.

So here's to Honeybaked Ham!

aja8888 12-20-2017 03:27 PM

Starting to add up the 2017 totals for spending. Yikes!:eek:

Big dental (not done yet) - $40 K

Other medical not covered by Medicare/Medigap/Part D - ~$8 K (mostly DW)

Assisting other family members (gifts, of course) - $14 K (rent, other bills, medical)

Deposits for DD's April 2018 wedding (finally!) - $8 K

I'M STARTING TO ACT LIKE ROBBIE!!
(Blow that dough!) :laugh:

Dilley Dilley!

kgtest 12-20-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba (Post 1983021)
With the new tax bill eliminating deductibility of HELOC interest, we’ll probably pay it off before 1/1. No impact on NW, but definitely an impact on available cash.

Yeah without the break its not as attractive to hold onto HELOC if you had no other reason. One of the clients I advise is thinking of doing this as well.

W2R 12-20-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 1983082)
Starting to add up the 2017 totals for spending. Yikes!:eek:

Big dental (not done yet) - $40 K

Other medical not covered by Medicare/Medigap/Part D - ~$8 K (mostly DW)

Assisting other family members (gifts, of course) - $14 K (rent, other bills, medical)

Deposits for DD's April 2018 wedding (finally!) - $8 K

I'M STARTING TO ACT LIKE ROBBIE!!
(Blow that dough!) :laugh:

Dilley Dilley!

Wow!!! That's a lot. Look at it this way - - good thing all these expenses came up this year, with the market booming. Right now, most of us can afford to spend a little more than usual if need be. During a year like 2009, it would be more difficult I think.

Blow that dough! :laugh: Dilley Dilley! That sounds like a dill pickle to me, but hey, whatever..... ;)

Beldar 12-20-2017 04:27 PM

Quote:

You rock!

I did treat myself to a Martini-Henry MK4 this past month; the seller didn't really know what he had. But other than that, no real drunken sailor expenditures yet.

My portfolio returned over the last QTR nearly twice what my annual "earned" income was during my last year of w*rk. I should buy a knife, yes? ;D

_B

FreeBear 12-20-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HadEnuff (Post 1982603)

I still like to eat out, especially certain ethnic foods that are a pain to do at home. We've certainly cut back though. We can usually eat better at home were we can control the ingredients and prep. As for travel, I haven't been to airport since FIRING 3 years ago. We have done a bunch of epic road trips though. I like the slower pace and flexibility.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meierlde (Post 1982608)
For several years while working I would go scuba diving 3 times a year, and at that time looked forward to more when retired. However after about 10 years I got burned out on it since I would get a cold nearly every time I took a trip (and colds and scuba don't mix well). So I gave it up.

I feel your pain! Our summer kayak trip was epic and amazing. Upon return, it took more than a month to finally shake off the resulting cold/flu bug. Then there are the back issues. I'd love to push harder in my outdoor sports, but my body rebels, usually after the fact. One of my few regrets in retirement, wish I had left sooner...

W2R 12-20-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beldar (Post 1983128)
You rock!

I did treat myself to a Martini-Henry MK4 this past month; the seller didn't really know what he had. But other than that, no real drunken sailor expenditures yet.

My portfolio returned over the last QTR nearly twice what my annual "earned" income was during my last year of w*rk. I should buy a knife, yes? ;D

_B

Absolutely! You need to buy a knife. Or, whatever floats your boat. That kind of portfolio return is amazing. :)

aja8888 12-20-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1983106)
Wow!!! That's a lot. Look at it this way - - good thing all these expenses came up this year, with the market booming. Right now, most of us can afford to spend a little more than usual if need be. During a year like 2009, it would be more difficult I think.

Blow that dough! :laugh: Dilley Dilley! That sounds like a dill pickle to me, but hey, whatever..... ;)

Yes, Mr. Market covered all plus more. I am grateful! Next year is "The Wedding" and Dad's daughter (@ 37) will be finally married off. :coolsmiley:;)

W2R 12-20-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 1983139)
Yes, Mr. Market covered all plus more. I am grateful! Next year is "The Wedding" and Dad's daughter (@ 37) will be finally married off. :coolsmiley:;)

My only daughter's wedding was in Oregon, two weeks before I retired. :banghead: I had set my retirement date years before, and did not want to change it. And, she could only get the location reserved on that date. Oh well, it all worked out although I felt like I was 110 years old by the time I had her married off and I was retired.

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding. It's nice to know that one's daughter has a DH who is watching out for her, especially if she lives far away like mine does.

Winemaker 12-20-2017 06:09 PM

Well, we could all buy several of these;

https://www.teeshirtpalace.com/produ...hoCAFcQAvD_BwE

FIREd 12-20-2017 06:45 PM

Come to think of it, we did blow a lot of dough this year. Move across country (on our dime), close to a full house renovation, new car, stocking up our new wine cellar, plus a few other shameful follies... it’s just that most of the money did not come out of our portfolio all at once this year. It had been set aside for those purposes over several years so I don’t feel like we broke the bank.

pb4uski 12-20-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt34 (Post 1983061)
For decades a SIL and BIL have hosted the large Christmas dinner and paid for most, if not all, of the food. We'd of course bring a side dish but they paid for the bulk of it. Although they have pensions, their income is now less than one-half of what it was and they've been having a hard time adjusting.

So for the last few years we've sprung for the spiral cut Honeybaked Ham that for some reason SIL feels is necessary and traditional at that dinner. So now that $90 (delivered) 10 lb. ham is in the refrigerator thawing. It's good ham, but I am hard put to tell the difference between that and the ones we can buy for less than half that price at any of the local grocery stores. But what the hey, it's once a year, we can easily afford it, it makes her feel good and we like them, and we do enjoy seeing everyone at the party.

So here's to Honeybaked Ham!

+1 My uncle who will be having Christmas dinner with us can't have ham due to dietary restrictions... DW had had me buy one a week or so ago and we had forgot about his restrictions... so that will go in the freezer... she bought a small piece of ribeye roast to try and we had it tonight and it was delicious so I told her that we should get a bigger one for Christmas and she hedges and says it is $8/pound... my response... so what, only $40 for the 5 of us and its Christmas!

Robbie is rubbing off on us.:facepalm:

MRG 12-20-2017 09:30 PM

Christmas is but once a year. So in honor of the blow that dough, dinner for two is 4.5 pounds of the biggliest king crabs.

These were 39 bucks a pound. Whoo hoo..

Thanks Robbie.

aja8888 12-20-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 1983213)
Well, we could all buy several of these;

https://www.teeshirtpalace.com/produ...hoCAFcQAvD_BwE

Very nice !! Thanks you!! I am ordering a few of these.:coolsmiley:

Brat 12-20-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hesperus (Post 1982553)

February? Piker! My extended family of 8 just arrived, we will join them Saturday. The cost of lodging alone choked me.

Brat 12-20-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1983144)
My only daughter's wedding was in Oregon, two weeks before I retired. :banghead: I had set my retirement date years before, and did not want to change it. And, she could only get the location reserved on that date. Oh well, it all worked out although I felt like I was 110 years old by the time I had her married off and I was retired. ...

Weddings are very stressful for the parents... Count yourself lucky, few Oregon weddings break their parent's bank.

Ronstar 12-20-2017 11:29 PM

I'm doing my share. Just bought 2 iPhone x's.

W2R 12-20-2017 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 1983354)

Whew! Two? That'll do it. ;D

Blow that dough! :dance:

RobbieB 12-20-2017 11:48 PM

Awww, you guys are warming the cockles of my heart.

Yes, tis the season to Blow That Dough - :)

NW-Bound 12-20-2017 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calmloki (Post 1982919)
If spending brings joy - spend. As a contrarian, google "year of spending nothing". I paw through drawers hunting something and find piles of stuff we bought and haven't used. Possessions just weigh me down. I do note that many here spend on experiences, which seems different.

That makes 2 of us.

My spending this year is the lowest since I fully retired 5 years ago. Not finding anything that excites me enough to blow my dough on. We went on a 6-week road trek through Europe earlier this year. I spent some money on my electronics hobby, but it does not amount to much.

A relative just sent me another Cognac bottle today. Nothing for me to blow money on.

Nah, I just keep the dough to count it everyday.

Throwdownmyaceinthehole 12-21-2017 08:57 AM

This Blow that Dough is becoming a thing. I filled up at Bucee's yesterday ( guess you have to be from Texas to fully understand) and I went inside. They had a large display of 2009 Dom Perignon for $157 bucks right next to the tamales.

NW-Bound 12-21-2017 09:02 AM

That's a new thing.

Champagne + caviar is out.

Champagne + tamales is in.

PS. I should write to them to suggest a new motto: "Dom Pérignon - It's not just for caviar anymore".

Scuba 12-21-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgtest (Post 1983097)
Yeah without the break its not as attractive to hold onto HELOC if you had no other reason. One of the clients I advise is thinking of doing this as well.

We got it in 2014 while we were still w*rking. Main reason was to have available credit if needed after ER. Drew on it to help pay for an extensive remodel of our condo. Have paid off about 2/3 already but was keeping the rest outstanding as it was cheap debt. But now the rate is about a point higher than when we started and with losing tax deductibility, cost will be 5.3% and will rise as rates do. My threshold rate was 5-5.5% and I’m not aware of another way to get a guaranteed return of over 5%.

GravitySucks 12-21-2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt34 (Post 1983061)
So for the last few years we've sprung for the spiral cut Honeybaked Ham that for some reason SIL feels is necessary and traditional at that dinner. So now that $90 (delivered) 10 lb. ham is in the refrigerator thawing. It's good ham, but I am hard put to tell the difference between that and the ones we can buy for less than half that price at any of the local grocery stores. !

DM used to want Honey baked and I never saw the benefit.
I found a Polish butcher who cures her own hams 60 miles away. (Dear Dog questions why I don't marry her.) Every Easter I take a day trip with DM and buy a fantastic ham for $60. With the travel and lunch out I'm sure it adds up to more than a Honetbaked, but man does it taste good. Plus a joy to spend a few hours with Mom at this late stage of her life.

Winemaker 12-21-2017 12:36 PM

My homemade apple/hickory smoked hams can't be beat, so I'm told. It's not that hard to do, it just takes a little time like anything else that's good. There's a lot of satisfaction after the aromas of smoke are gone, my kids and grandkids love it, as well as the bacon.

RobbieB 12-21-2017 12:44 PM

As I drove over to my girlfriend's house for supper last night, I noticed that about half of the homes had outside Christmas lights. Compared to about 10% of years back.

This is just a Kaufman & Broad working class tract house neighborhood, not the ritz.

Good to see my neighbors in a more affluent condition and Blowing That Dough - :)

Lsbcal 12-21-2017 01:01 PM

Maybe a good combination is:
1) increase spending as portfolio goes up in real terms beyond your expectations
2) move some stock % to fixed income (bonds or cash) to reduce risk

Well somebody’s got to be sober here with all these wild spenders coming out of the woodwork. ;)

Christine 12-21-2017 01:25 PM

I'm using the VPW spreadsheet from Bogleheads (Variable Percentage Withdrawal) and the sum keeps growing each year. Not surprisingly after I sold my flat next year will be another high.

And I did my best today! My brother is coming over for Christmas and I bought a $120 lump of our favourite cold cuts to be enjoyed for the week.

What I haven't budgeted for living/travelling etc I put in a silly-spending category in YNAB. And even after upping the travel money category I still have to spend about $50 on silliness every day. I can be quite silly but really!

NW-Bound 12-21-2017 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 1983584)
As I drove over to my girlfriend's house for supper last night, I noticed that about half of the homes had outside Christmas lights. Compared to about 10% of years back.

This is just a Kaufman & Broad working class tract house neighborhood, not the ritz.

Good to see my neighbors in a more affluent condition and Blowing That Dough - :)

Yes, one can look at Christmas decorations and knows how well the economy is doing.

The recent Halloween, many of the homes in my neighborhood were going gun ho with decorations and animated ghoulie characters, the works! We took a stroll around the neighborhood, and boy, it was like a block party out there. Kids from nearby areas were trick-or-treating, milling around and having a good time with their parents.

With my "superior memory", I could still recount the dark days of 2008-2009 when it was sad and gloomy, people out of work, unsold homes getting abandoned and repossessed... Such is the economic cycle.

Walt34 12-21-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb4uski (Post 1983298)

Robbie is rubbing off on us.:facepalm:

Yep, one of those guys my Mom warned me about - "He'll be a bad influence on you!":laugh:

aja8888 12-21-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 1983354)

Wow!!

Dilley Dilley!! :coolsmiley:

MRG 12-21-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt34 (Post 1983633)
Yep, one of those guys my Mom warned me about - "He'll be a bad influence on you!"[emoji23]

I know, down to the name. Mom wouldn't let me hang with Robbie cause we got in too much trouble together. 😁

txtig 12-21-2017 04:05 PM

I did my part this year. Brand new 38’ motorhome and a brand new Jeep Wrangler to tow behind it. Thinking about a new (or slightly used) pontoon boat in 2018. Dilley dilley!!!

GalaxyBoy 12-21-2017 04:33 PM

I'm still in my first year of ER but with an inheritance that didn't figure into my initial decision to RE and the YTD returns of the market so far, I'm way ahead of where I ever thought I'd be at this point. Even with a cash purchase of a top-model 2017 Honda Ridgeline and one trip we're just barely hitting the spending level FireCalc says I can have at a 95% success rate. That doesn't include my future SS benefits.

I want to say "Wh***!" but I hear that's a sure way to jinx things.

W2R 12-21-2017 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRG (Post 1983673)
I know, down to the name. Mom wouldn't let me hang with Robbie cause we got in too much trouble together. ��

I had a friend like that in high school, who lived nearby. Her name was Terri and her mom said I was a bad influence on her, and my mom said she was a bad influence on me!!! :rofl: We never got in any trouble, though, despite our mothers' fears. We had a lot of innocent fun of the type that mothers find scary, such as flirting with neighborhood boys and learning our first mild swear words and such. But all that never led to anything and we were just having fun. Those were the days.

W2R 12-21-2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy (Post 1983714)
I'm still in my first year of ER but with an inheritance that didn't figure into my initial decision to RE and the YTD returns of the market so far, I'm way ahead of where I ever thought I'd be at this point. Even with a cash purchase of a top-model 2017 Honda Ridgeline and one trip we're just barely hitting the spending level FireCalc says I can have at a 95% success rate. That doesn't include my future SS benefits.

I want to say "Wh***!" but I hear that's a sure way to jinx things.

I dunno, it only worked that once for me back in 2007... but boy did it work! :2funny: