Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   FIRE and Money (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/)
-   -   Blow that dough (It's official now) (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/blow-that-dough-its-official-now-89863.html)

MRG 12-21-2017 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1983715)
I had a friend like that in high school, who lived nearby. Her name was Terri and her mom said I was a bad influence on her, and my mom said she was a bad influence on me!!! :rofl: We never got in any trouble, though, despite our mothers' fears. We had a lot of innocent fun of the type that mothers find scary, such as flirting with neighborhood boys and learning our first mild swear words and such. But all that never led to anything and we were just having fun. Those were the days.

When my parents were in their 80's my sister's and I confessed to the things we had gotten away with.

The sister born in 1940 confessed she and her girlfriend snuck out of the Methodist church, went across the street, snuck in the Catholic church. They listened to part of Mass and snuck back unseen.

The 1949 sister admitted to sneaking out to visit a boyfriend when she claimed to be staying with a girlfriend. The funniest part was DF suspected something amiss, tried to sneak up on the home at 5AM. Their family dog was outside, bit his azz, sent him to the ER for stitches.

Mine involved Robbie(not ER Robbie I think). He and I managed to scrape together $100(remember $100 cars in the early 1970s?) and bought a car. Drove it around a few weeks, parked it on different places to hide it from our parents, later sold it to get the money back.

No big deal, except we were both 14 years old! Sometimes mom's know best.

RobbieB 12-21-2017 05:53 PM

Sneaking out of one church to attend another church? Worth of praise - :)

Lying about the boyfriend, now there's a little naughty there. Getting bit is fair payment for trespass and spying - that was funny.

Now the car thing at 14 is genius, that shows real creativity!

albireo13 12-21-2017 06:37 PM

Nope, I won't blow my dough on iCrap.

Spend if you need to. Don't if you don't need to.

RobbieB 12-21-2017 07:27 PM

You need food, you want lobster.

Blowing dough is not about needs, it's about wants - :)

Beldar 12-21-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1983137)
Absolutely! You need to buy a knife. Or, whatever floats your boat. That kind of portfolio return is amazing. :)

Yes, but I'm sober enough to realize that it was not the norm. Still...

_B

Live And Learn 12-21-2017 08:39 PM

hmmmmm. be greedy when others ate fearful and .... well, you know the rest. i will stay with my 3% initial withdrawal rate.

rodi 12-21-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1983715)
I had a friend like that in high school, who lived nearby. Her name was Terri and her mom said I was a bad influence on her, and my mom said she was a bad influence on me!!! :rofl: We never got in any trouble, though, despite our mothers' fears. We had a lot of innocent fun of the type that mothers find scary, such as flirting with neighborhood boys and learning our first mild swear words and such. But all that never led to anything and we were just having fun. Those were the days.

I just spent a long weekend in NYC with my high school friend who was a "bad influence" according to my mom. My mom was convinced she would lead me into trouble... We're still good friends 40 years later. Yeah - we did things my parents wouldn't have approved of - but we never got caught!!!! I think my parents did stuff they shouldn't have... and I have a great memory of my grandmother telling the story of double dating with her best friend (her date was her bff's brother... and my grandfather)... They snuck out to a speak easy after telling parents they were spending the night at each others houses. My grandmother was a very proper woman... but even she had a friend in high school that was a "bad influence"....

On the subject of "blow more dough".... I am upping my Withdrawal a bit for next year... But even with the increase it will be <3% of current portfolio and only increase to the level of the COLA increases I haven't taken yet. I am having trouble believing this run up won't correct and I'm still worried about sequence of returns and getting the kids launched.

SecondCor521 12-21-2017 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 1982618)
Woo-Hoo, my theme - :)

Yeah Baby! Blow that dough!

I bought myself a Christmas present this year. A one of a kind hand made knife, mirror polished with grade AAA mother of pearl scales. Two grand.

Live the dream - :)

You might like https://www.chrisreeve.com/knives.html. Knifemaker near my home, supposedly high quality stuff, but I'm not sure if he makes any in the $2K territory.

RobbieB 12-22-2017 01:51 PM

Very nice.

The knife I bought is this one from Burn (Paul Panak), I'm into Italian auto stilettos.

friar1610 12-22-2017 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerides (Post 1982816)
hah I was just discussing this topic with my parents, about how people are ER'ing and then spending only a 1.5% WD.

They were like "that's us!" (except not the ER part, regular R). But they are annoyed that they even have to have a 1.5 because it's from RMD's... They are living nicely off SS and pensions, small trips and a big vacation every year, and a few splurges here and there.

.

Are my wife and I your parents? Sounds like it.

ejman 12-22-2017 07:04 PM

Oh dear! Failing miserably in this RobbieB test. My expenses so far this year are the lowest they have been (in actual $, a lot more in inflation adjusted $) since ER. I don't know what's wrong with me... Must be that I'm finally happy with my stereo and can't think of anything to improve it ( well, maybe those Utopias...)

RobbieB 12-22-2017 07:21 PM

I'm putting the final assembly together on my Elekit TU-8500 preamp. The Audiocap Thetas arrives from Parts Express today and I've been eagerly awaiting as I didn't want to have to remove and re-solder new coupling caps

Chuckanut 12-22-2017 07:44 PM

Does spending an extra $20 a month to speed up my Internet connection count? I did skip the next step-up in speed, choosing two steps up.

ejman 12-22-2017 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 1984288)
I'm putting the final assembly together on my Elekit TU-8500 preamp. The Audiocap Thetas arrives from Parts Express today and I've been eagerly awaiting as I didn't want to have to remove and re-solder new coupling caps

Robbieb! a $500 preamp? what happened to the blow that money creed? We can do better than that. 2016 Editors&#39; Choice Awards: Preamplifiers $5,000 - $10,000 | The Absolute Sound

RobbieB 12-22-2017 08:35 PM

Yeah, you can go crazy on audio stuff for sure. I'm not that crazy, but I like vacuum tubes - :)

ejman 12-22-2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 1984314)
Yeah, you can go crazy on audio stuff for sure. I'm not that crazy, but I like vacuum tubes - :)

Me too. All of my audio components use tubes. :coolsmiley:

W2R 12-22-2017 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckanut (Post 1984297)
Does spending an extra $20 a month to speed up my Internet connection count? I did skip the next step-up in speed, choosing two steps up.

Absolutely! Blow that dough. ;D Sounds like your connection is fast as lightning.

When LBYM'ing, I think that getting rid of regular monthly charges helps a lot. So, when blowing that dough, the reverse should be pretty effective, too. :)

Ronstar 12-23-2017 06:32 AM

Blew some more dough - just bought a miter saw. One cannot have too many tools.

Tree-dweller 12-23-2017 06:47 AM

I am finally getting around to getting the back-teeth dental implants I had postponed a couple of years because of the painful price tag. Not an extravagance, so I only give it one “Dilly”.

street 12-23-2017 07:43 AM

I have a hard time blowing that money. LOL I just bought a 100$ worth of gouges for some carving I do. Not sure why I have the same gouges but these I bought will not be made any more so I did it. I didn't really need them but >>>>>>>>>> I bought them.

Like I posted before I'm new to retirement so in a few years I will open up and spend more.

Danmar 12-23-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 1982798)
My plan is that when the market tanks I won't have to decrease my spending.
!

Yes, I understand. A reasonably conservative approach. I am currently spending more than ever but when the market tanks I will just go back to spending divs. My divs are rock solid and weren’t cut in 2008-2009.

But I think it also depends on your age. I’m 67,been retired 11 years, and the portfolio is at an all time high. I figure if I don’t enjoy things now, I will soon get to the point where all I will want to do is “sit on the porch” (figuratively). This will likely mean a very large legacy left behind. I certainly don’t mind leaving a good size legacy but not something outrageous.

Getting the balance right between current consumption, risk, and legacy is something I think about a lot. I am very much in the minority here, it seems.

braumeister 12-23-2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danmar (Post 1984426)
Getting the balance right between current consumption, risk, and legacy is something I think about a lot. I am very much in the minority here, it seems.

Maybe not as much as you think. I'm in the same situation, albeit on a much smaller scale. I'm sure others are as well.

kcowan 12-23-2017 09:26 AM

Just spent a week in a neighboring state (Nayarit) on the beach for a break from our condo in downtown PV. Yea Baby.

Thinking of buying some ETHER as a flyer given the pullback. Having some fun!

Spending down the principle seems to be far away right now. If not now, when? Does not Firecalc assume that?

(Pas de lieu Rhône que nous. Our French teacher said Pas d'elle yeux Rhone que nous! It took us a while to figure it out!)

Moemg 12-23-2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danmar (Post 1984426)
.



Getting the balance right between current consumption, risk, and legacy is something I think about a lot. I am very much in the minority here, it seems.


I feel the same way .

Danmar 12-23-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 1984430)
Maybe not as much as you think. I'm in the same situation, albeit on a much smaller scale. I'm sure others are as well.

Yes, probably. But we seem much more interested in discussing honey glazed hams, cognac, wine, knives, shellfish,iPhones, etc. More fun and easier? Well we do live in a consumer society, I guess.

Ed_The_Gypsy 12-23-2017 11:01 AM

Forget legacy for us. My concern is having enough to cover us for late-in-life medical expenses.

aja8888 12-23-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy (Post 1984495)
Forget legacy for us. My concern is having enough to cover us for late-in-life medical expenses.

Agreed, the legacy is not as much in my mind as the $45 K I blew this year on dental work. That would have been a nice new pickup truck that I could have used (enjoyed?) and left as part of the legacy.

FIREd 12-23-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 1982798)
My plan is that when the market tanks I won't have to decrease my spending.

That’s my plan as well. I am only giving myself a 1.35% raise for 2018 (less than the CPI increase for the trailing 12 months). Even if the market dropped 50% tomorrow, my WR would remain well below 4% and I would not have to decrease my spending.

daylatedollarshort 12-23-2017 01:01 PM

I gave myself a $200 a month raise for entertainment earlier in the year but ended up not taking the raise and cutting the entertainment budget by $75 instead. We don't go out less, we just spend less. Over time I just keep finding more and more good deals and ways to save. Last night we went to a ballet performance in the city, walked around the fountains and Christmas lights at Yerba Buena Gardens and had drinks at a roof top bar with pretty city views. For us that was a fun night out so I don't see a need to spend more. The bargain hunting part is half the fun for me.

NW-Bound 12-23-2017 02:28 PM

The market return this year is 6.5x my 2017 expenses. And this year's expenses still included some significant non-recurrent charges that will go away.

So, I should have a lot more discretionary spending, but I do not feel I need anything. Surely, buying a 3rd home will blow that money in a hurry, but I do not want one, so why do I put myself through the hassle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danmar (Post 1984426)
Getting the balance right between current consumption, risk, and legacy is something I think about a lot. I am very much in the minority here, it seems.

I do think about it, but not a lot. Not yet anyway. Two reasons: 1) I am not that loaded yet, and 2) I am 61 and still have time to think of things I really "want". I must be sure what I spend money on gives me pleasure and not more hassle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danmar (Post 1984476)
Yes, probably. But we seem much more interested in discussing honey glazed hams, cognac, wine, knives, shellfish,iPhones, etc. More fun and easier? Well we do live in a consumer society, I guess.

Consumables are something we all have to buy. So, it's easiest to upgrade these. It is true that they do not really make a dent. To really blow some dough, one needs another home, or at least a luxury car. I do not have enough for, nor want a 3rd home. And having a Tesla in my garage would not bring up my happiness level any.

So, consumables it is. Even there, I only eat and drink so much. I like to travel, but doing too much of it, then it becomes tedious like work.

Chuckanut 12-23-2017 02:48 PM

Yes, consumables it is for me also.
  • Faster Internet.
  • $15 a bottle wine bought from a local wine store replaces some of my $5-$12 bottles from Costco and TJ's. And, it is part of the buy from local business that I like to support.
  • grass fed beef
  • a bottle of fancy bourbon recommended by folks on this site
  • cashmere travel sweater
  • searching for a very nice Fine Art matte photo paper to replace the cheaper and more ordinary paper I have been using.
  • upped contributions to charitable causes that put at least 85% of the money to good use. (OK, not my consumable, but consumed by others.
And, while not a consumable, probably the most expensive vacation year yet.

I am looking to upgrade some of my photo gear, but as of today I just can't justify the expense against the added benefit. Spending for the sake of spending is not my idea of Blowing Dough.

wmc1000 12-23-2017 03:16 PM

Just got done replacing 800 sq. ft of carpet with wood flooring. Was going to do it in 2018 but DW convinced me we could "do it ourselves" when she saw it discounted 20%.

I guess it was a win-win because we are still on target with our budgeted 2017 numbers and now we remove it from the 2018 budgeted numbers too!

Spanky 12-23-2017 04:03 PM

We spend a lot more this year for new windows, furnace, and water heater. Next year, we probably need to spend $$ on roof and car.

GalaxyBoy 12-23-2017 04:11 PM

One of the kitties has developed chronic kidney disease so she’s doing her part to move the money out of my account.

unclemick 12-23-2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danmar (Post 1984426)
Yes, I understand. A reasonably conservative approach. I am currently spending more than ever but when the market tanks I will just go back to spending divs. My divs are rock solid and weren’t cut in 2008-2009.

But I think it also depends on your age. I’m 67,been retired 11 years, and the portfolio is at an all time high. I figure if I don’t enjoy things now, I will soon get to the point where all I will want to do is “sit on the porch” (figuratively). This will likely mean a very large legacy left behind. I certainly don’t mind leaving a good size legacy but not something outrageous.

Getting the balance right between current consumption, risk, and legacy is something I think about a lot. I am very much in the minority here, it seems.

Ditto.

Post 70 1/2 sharing with my new found Pals at the IRS those non Roth portfolio parts is legacy I have mixed emotions about. Also the mental adjustment from early ER 'cheap SOB' to spend it before you croak is a work in progress.

heh heh heh - :rolleyes: ;D

W2R 12-23-2017 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanky (Post 1984609)
We spend a lot more this year for new windows, furnace, and water heater. Next year, we probably need to spend $$ on roof and car.

Once you are done with that, you probably won't have any more big irregular expenses for years! Those are most of the big ones for a house, it seems to me.

Oh, that is.... unless your teeth are bad. Dental implants can really add up. ;D

flintnational 12-23-2017 05:15 PM

While you folks were debating spending, I was out..... well, spending. We just returned from a short cruise this week. Okay, it has been planned for awhile and in our regular budget. We did buy two glasses of wine on board to supplement the 2 bottles we brought on board. Clearly our increased net worth is causing us to throw caution to the wind. With tip, the wine was $12 per glass. :)

MuirWannabe 12-23-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckanut (Post 1984585)
Yes, consumables it is for me also.
  • Faster Internet.
  • $15 a bottle wine bought from a local wine store replaces some of my $5-$12 bottles from Costco and TJ's. And, it is part of the buy from local business that I like to support.
  • grass fed beef
  • a bottle of fancy bourbon recommended by folks on this site
  • cashmere travel sweater
  • searching for a very nice Fine Art matte photo paper to replace the cheaper and more ordinary paper I have been using.
  • upped contributions to charitable causes that put at least 85% of the money to good use. (OK, not my consumable, but consumed by others.
And, while not a consumable, probably the most expensive vacation year yet.

I am looking to upgrade some of my photo gear, but as of today I just can't justify the expense against the added benefit. Spending for the sake of spending is not my idea of Blowing Dough.



Do tell. What bourbon did you choose to blow dough on?

NW-Bound 12-23-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flintnational (Post 1984641)
While you folks were debating spending, I was out..... well, spending. We just returned from a short cruise this week. Okay, it has been planned for awhile and in our regular budget. We did buy two glasses of wine on board to supplement the 2 bottles we brought on board. Clearly our increased net worth is causing us to throw caution to the wind. With tip, the wine was $12 per glass. :)

The last cruise we took, we had an unlimited booze package. Even then, I took only 3-4 drinks a day. Could not blow more dough on booze if I wanted to. Guess I could have ordered some premium and rare shots.

SteveNU 12-23-2017 06:09 PM

New kitchen and some living room furniture this year $$$. Even paid someone to do the lawn for the last half of summer and told my DW she could let the hairdresser color her hair instead of doing it at home! ☺

RobbieB 12-23-2017 06:45 PM

Good for you, I'd do it too.

Wifey let one of her friends (who was a pro stylist) color her hair in our house. That stuff stinks. The nose you save is your own - :)

dtbach 12-23-2017 07:09 PM

We will be doing a lot more travel next year and upgrading meat, wine, booze, etc. It's hard to spend the windfall.

iloveyoga 12-23-2017 07:44 PM

Getting the balance right between current consumption, risk, and legacy is something I think about a lot. I am very much in the minority here, it seems.[/QUOTE]

+1

RobbieB 12-23-2017 07:51 PM

I'm still trying to get the balance right. I'm having trouble blowing dough as fast as I make it. My net worth continues to rise therefor I'm not blowing dough as fast as I should.

I want to see my net worth decreasing. Then I'll worry about blowing dough too fast.

One problem at a time - :)

W2R 12-23-2017 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 1984686)
I'm still trying to get the balance right. I'm having trouble blowing dough as fast as I make it. My net worth continues to rise therefor I'm not blowing dough as fast as I should.

I want to see my net worth decreasing. Then I'll worry about blowing dough too fast.

One problem at a time - :)

Me too. But y'know, I'm having so much fun playing free games on my new "2017 iPad" that I bought on Black Friday, that I don't want to stop to look for other ways to spend money. Not yet.

What a terrific value that iPad was for the money! Anyway, my point is that when you get that deck done you'll probably be too busy out there with your sweetie, hot tubbing, grilling, and having fun, to shop for other things for a while.

Danmar 12-24-2017 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 1984579)
The market return this year is 6.5x my 2017 expenses. And this year's expenses still included some significant non-recurrent charges that will go away.

So, I should have a lot more discretionary spending, but I do not feel I need anything. Surely, buying a 3rd home will blow that money in a hurry, but I do not want one, so why do I put myself through the hassle?



I do think about it, but not a lot. Not yet anyway. Two reasons: 1) I am not that loaded yet, and 2) I am 61 and still have time to think of things I really "want". I must be sure what I spend money on gives me pleasure and not more hassle.



Consumables are something we all have to buy. So, it's easiest to upgrade these. It is true that they do not really make a dent. To really blow some dough, one needs another home, or at least a luxury car. I do not have enough for, nor want a 3rd home. And having a Tesla in my garage would not bring up my happiness level any.

So, consumables it is. Even there, I only eat and drink so much. I like to travel, but doing too much of it, then it becomes tedious like work.

Thoughtful post. You appear to be an extreme example of someone whose spending could easily increase if you wanted it to. You have said you like to see the balance of your portfolio climb, so you should be deriving quite a bit of pleasure from that.

I agree that spending for spending’s sake is sub optimal. I also agree that at age 61 you have time to think more about the balance between current consumption/risk/legacy. At some point though, you will need to address it. I’m older than you and feel it’s an issue that’s relevant for me now.

Yes, also agree, that to seriously move the “spending dial” multiple homes, luxury cars, luxury travel, large boat, large gifts, are probably the most effective “tool”. Consumables are really pretty inconsequential. Easy to identify and discuss though. Happy Holidays.

Danmar 12-24-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 1984686)
I'm still trying to get the balance right. I'm having trouble blowing dough as fast as I make it. My net worth continues to rise therefor I'm not blowing dough as fast as I should.

I want to see my net worth decreasing. Then I'll worry about blowing dough too fast.

I would think that in a market that’s increasing at close to 20% this year, you don’t really want to see your net worth decline. See my previous post for ways to really “blow the dough” if you are serious though.

Major Tom 12-24-2017 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy (Post 1984613)
One of the kitties has developed chronic kidney disease so she’s doing her part to move the money out of my account.

Sorry to hear that GalaxyBoy, but it's good you at least have the money to take care of her in the first place. Quite a few people I know stress over not being able to afford to take their pets to the vet. Being able to pay for the care for our animal companions is a luxury in itself.

NW-Bound 12-24-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danmar (Post 1984780)
...Yes, also agree, that to seriously move the “spending dial” multiple homes, luxury cars, luxury travel, large boat, large gifts, are probably the most effective “tool”. Consumables are really pretty inconsequential...

If one has a lot of money, charity is the best way to dispose of some, if one does not want to spoil his children rotten. I read that Bill Gates would be worth $150B if he did not give away to his foundation. His net worth is $90B now.

It is a lot easier for Bill Gates to give away 90% of his money than for me to give away 10% of mine, the simple reason being that I still do not know if I will have enough. The market may turn, and I may find myself hoping to survive on 4% WR instead of drawing only 2.5% that I do this year.

In the future, if my finance continues to do well, I will step up the charity donation as well as funding my grandchildren's education, if I will have any. I can also fund my children's Roth accounts. I have given them money and helped them get established. They are doing very well right now compared to their peers, and I do not want to pump more money to them and cause them to become dependent.

kcowan 12-24-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1984630)
Oh, that is.... unless your teeth are bad. Dental implants can really add up. ;D

Our friend finally had a big dental procedure before coming to PV last year and she spent the time feeling like crap. When she got back to Canada, they discovered bacteria from the operation had settled around her aortic valve. Open heart surgery resulting from indiscreet tooth surgery! Look after your teeth!

(One thing I am doing this year is spending on essentials without budgeting. After January, I will reconcile and see how we made out.)

Scuba 12-24-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 1984314)
Yeah, you can go crazy on audio stuff for sure. I'm not that crazy, but I like vacuum tubes - :)



Years ago, the first time DH & I went shopping for an A/V system at a high end store, they asked us what our budget was. We really hadn’t set a budget, but we quickly did when they told us you could spend anything from hundreds to hundreds of thousands!

calmloki 12-24-2017 10:26 AM

Perhaps this thread could be combined with the "prepay funeral expenses" thread. A way to stretch out the time for blowing the dough beyond one's demise.

Scuba 12-24-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danmar (Post 1984426)
Yes, I understand. A reasonably conservative approach. I am currently spending more than ever but when the market tanks I will just go back to spending divs. My divs are rock solid and weren’t cut in 2008-2009.



But I think it also depends on your age. I’m 67,been retired 11 years, and the portfolio is at an all time high. I figure if I don’t enjoy things now, I will soon get to the point where all I will want to do is “sit on the porch” (figuratively). This will likely mean a very large legacy left behind. I certainly don’t mind leaving a good size legacy but not something outrageous.



Getting the balance right between current consumption, risk, and legacy is something I think about a lot. I am very much in the minority here, it seems.



DH & I are still in our 50’s. We agreed pre-ER not to buy another home or a boat, at least not until we get through the first 5-7 years of ER. We are spending whatever we want on travel and consumables and more than we anticipated on charity/gifting, but until we feel we’re safely past sequence of return risk, and there is more certainty on healthcare (either because we’re on Medicare or costs have somewhat stabilized), we don’t feel comfortable ramping up our spending too much.

If our portfolio is close to or more than what we have now when we’re 65, I think we will either gift a lot more or perhaps consider another home, a smallish boat, or both.

NW-Bound 12-24-2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba (Post 1984868)
Years ago, the first time DH & I went shopping for an A/V system at a high end store, they asked us what our budget was. We really hadn’t set a budget, but we quickly did when they told us you could spend anything from hundreds to hundreds of thousands!

Yes. They can help you blow off any amount that you have. Whether you can hear any difference, or if there is really any difference besides the price tag, is another matter. The most important thing is to blow money.

The above said, if I were rich, I would not mind owning some of the large expensive speakers. Even if my hearing is not good to hear the difference, these are built by craftsmen, and they look good, the finishing perfect. They are like nice pieces of furniture. I cannot say the same thing about electronics.

Looking4Ward 12-24-2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptTom (Post 1982804)
To those of you struggling to find a way to spend your money, just buy a boat.

They say you can make a small fortune with a boat. It's easy. Start with a large fortune, and buy a boat.

I might even know where you can find a captain :whistling:

As someone who's owned one boat or another most of my life I'd say that while this is true it's not always true.

I had a list of toys that I wanted to get and enjoy during the early years of my retirement. My first full year of retirement, I bought a new Jeep. Second year, a new diesel pickup and travel trailer. And this third year, another boat.

I thought long and hard about the boat because the idea was competing with the idea of getting some channel front property on the coast. But this last hurricane season brought a dose of reality and I decided that being on a freshwater inland lake would satisfy my desire to be on the water.

And I've always believed that you make your money when you buy a boat, not sell it. In other words, I was able to get an older 35 foot Mainship in relatively great condition for less than one year's worth of depreciation on a newer one. It needs some work, but I could also use a project and enjoy making things look new again.

The kicker is that I was able to get a slip at a marina for less than what my utility bills were on my lakefront home. The slip includes water and electric (the boat has 2 A/C systems so it can use quite a bit of electricity). So I can enjoy the recreational aspect of being on the water without the expense of high property taxes and risk of hurricane.

I accumulated these toys while staying close to my established WR and now that my wish list has been fulfilled I can spend a lot of time enjoying them while spending less.

RobbieB 12-24-2017 11:05 AM

A boat and a monthly rent slip are in next years plans - :)

haha 12-24-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albireo13 (Post 1983767)
Nope, I won't blow my dough on iCrap.

Spend if you need to. Don't if you don't need to.

Finally something makes sense. As does buying lobster if you really want it. But deciding ,"Now I have plenty money so I want to see if I can throw some away", to me that makes zero sense.

I think

Ha

RobbieB 12-24-2017 12:44 PM

To me also. I mean who would buy stuff they don't want? You know other than medical expenses? Nobody wants a root canal, but if you have a cracked and infected tooth you will be first in line for a root canal.

As mentioned, I truly enjoy my luxuries to the point of shipping direct from the source. Maine lobsters shipped in from Maine taste better than grocery store lobsters. I find that Wagyu beef is way better than prime, so it's worth the 400% premium.

Have fun whatever that is for you. If you're happier counting your stack than spending it, by all means continue counting - :)

NW-Bound 12-24-2017 12:50 PM

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to count like a true rich man?

"One million, two million, three million..."

I'll never get that rich. :)

It's really mind-boggling when you think how some people count their money, if they do.

"One billion, two billion, three billion..."

I don't think these billionaires ever talk about "blowing some dough". If they did, it would be like a tornado. :laugh:

ejman 12-24-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 1984971)
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to count like a true rich man?

"One million, two million, three million..."

I'll never get that rich. :)

It's really mind-boggling when you think how some people count their money, if they do.

"One billion, two billion, three billion..."

I don't think these billionaires ever talk about "blowing some dough". If they did, it would be like a tornado. :laugh:

Careful what you wish for. They got "that rich" in Zimbabwe in a hurry pretty soon they were saying : "one trillion, two trillion, three trillion..." According to Wikepedia : "fourth Zimbabwe dollar," occurred in February 2009, and dropped 12 more zeros from the currency. It was thus worth 10 trillion trillion original dollars:

NW-Bound 12-24-2017 01:51 PM

Then, we would all be in the same boat. Misery loves company. We will count together. "One trillion, two trillion, three trillion..."

If that should happen, the bitcoin holders will say "I told you so. One bitcoin, two bitcoins..."

braumeister 12-24-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 1984969)
As mentioned, I truly enjoy my luxuries to the point of shipping direct from the source. Maine lobsters shipped in from Maine taste better than grocery store lobsters. I find that Wagyu beef is way better than prime, so it's worth the 400% premium.

I absolutely agree, and I'm glad to have you remind us occasionally about our inability to take it with us.

Every week I look at the recycle bins out in the driveway and just shake my head when I see my next door neighbor's bin full of Bud Light cans. I'm sure he does the same if he sees a few empty Orval or Westmalle bottles in mine. But I think we're each happy with our choices.

cooch96 12-24-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 1984140)
Very nice.

The knife I bought is this one from Burn (Paul Panak), I'm into Italian auto stilettos.

Wow, these are Exquisite. What knife smith would you recommend to someone who is interested in blowing roughly 1/10th as much? Nationality not important. Smoothness of mechanism and durability/reliability are what tickle my fancy.

RobbieB 12-24-2017 05:30 PM

I would not hesitate to go with Frank Beltrame or AGA Campolin, both are the real Italian deal and are smooth and well made by hand.

For about 4-500, you can get something from those same makers way more upscale.

Check your state laws on full autos. Here in CA they are legal to own but not to carry.

unclemick 01-03-2018 02:00 PM

I donated my Charlie Dake roller blade to Lake Pontchartrain in Katrina.

heh heh heh - He had a shop toward the city(New Orleans). :coolsmiley:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.