Bubble: 2017 review in 197 pages

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
From Peak Prosperity - David Collum
A free-form discussion of money in 2017, with the author's prognostications for the near time future. Written with a light touch, but incredibly well sourced.
Definitely not for the faint of heart.
The article covers virtually every part of what constitutes the economy, from the personal/individual outlook, to the global perspective including many, nations.
The section on "bonds" was especially interesting to me, with a broad based explanation that was an eye opener. Another fascinating subject.. the devaluation of the automotive industry, and cars.
There is also an extensive and disturbing analysis of pension funds, in both the government and public arenas.
"Bubble"... my interpretation from the first 1 1/2 hours of reading. YMMV. :)

https://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/113568/2017-year-review?utm_campaign=weekly_newsletter_316&utm_source=newsletter_2017-12-23&utm_medium=email_newsletter&utm_content=node_teaser_113569

You can scroll down to the "Contents" section to get to the links for whatever peaks your curiosity... ie Bitcoin, buybacks, gold, housing,ETF's.

Last edited:
From Peak Prosperity - David Collum
A free-form discussion of money in 2017, with the author's prognostications for the near time future. Written with a light touch, but incredibly well sourced.
Definitely not for the faint of heart.
The article covers virtually every part of what constitutes the economy, from the personal/individual outlook, to the global perspective including many, nations.
The section on "bonds" was especially interesting to me, with a broad based explanation that was an eye opener. Another fascinating subject.. the devaluation of the automotive industry, and cars.
There is also an extensive and disturbing analysis of pension funds, in both the government and public arenas.
"Bubble"... my interpretation from the first 1 1/2 hours of reading. YMMV. :)

https://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/113568/2017-year-review?utm_campaign=weekly_newsletter_316&utm_source=newsletter_2017-12-23&utm_medium=email_newsletter&utm_content=node_teaser_113569

You can scroll down to the "Contents" section to get to the links for whatever peaks your curiosity... ie Bitcoin, buybacks, gold, housing,ETF's.

I have not looked at this recently, but did do the entire "crash course" many years ago when the blog was called "Peak Oil" and was moderated by Chris Martinson, I think? It was both entertaining and informative. If I recall correctly, he quit his job as a VP of megacorp, sold all his assets, invested in Gold and rented a large farm in Massachusetts. His feeling that one day a ounce of gold would buy an acre of prime farmland.

I'm slowly going through it. Thanks for posting.

Thanks. This will be my holiday reading. It says it can be downloaded as a PDF but the link does not work?

Thanks. This will be my holiday reading. It says it can be downloaded as a PDF but the link does not work?

I used this link to download:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cm-us-standard/documents/2017-Year-In-Review-PeakProsperity-final.pdf

Right click and "save as".... or "Download" icon at top of page. To get to the index in the "contents" section, you'll need to use the first live link from the original post. Allows you to pick and choose the subjects you're interested in, without having to spend hours to read the entire article.

...and... BTW... Part 2 of the piece is a distinctly conservative, right leaning, politically based review of the years events. Forewarned is forearmed... :)

Last edited:
I have not looked at this recently, but did do the entire "crash course" many years ago when the blog was called "Peak Oil" and was moderated by Chris Martinson, I think? It was both entertaining and informative. If I recall correctly, he quit his job as a VP of megacorp, sold all his assets, invested in Gold and rented a large farm in Massachusetts. His feeling that one day a ounce of gold would buy an acre of prime farmland.

If what you say is correct, why would anyone bother reading something from this guy?

After skimming through parts of this blog, I think that I should cancel extra high speed internet I just signed up for (see the discussion of blowing our dough) at a cost of $20 a month. :eek:

Clicked to the sites front page.... Ads for Silver and Gold as expected.
Thanks anyway- have a Merry Christmas. I'm not chasing gloom and doom till after New Years celebration.

Skimmed it, yes it is the same old stuff you expect from that site. And his statement that "Regression to the mean is a force of nature." is an error one should not expect from a professor of chemistry and chemical biology at Cornell. I guess it is a pet peeve of mine but sorry professor, regression to the mean is not a causal phenomenon. There might be many reasons that markets are overvalued, and I am not arguing that they are not, but statistical regression to the mean is not one of them. Maybe it is because as he said, "I sit in front of a computer 16 hours a day." Maybe he should get outside sometimes and see that the sky is still there.

Back
Top Bottom