Is there any benefit to AARP?

Ready

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know this has been discussed in the past so pardon me if I'm repeating an old discussion, but I think it's been a little while since it's come up.

I get regular solicitations in the mail from AARP. Today's solicitation includes a free "Sporty Tote" if I join before 2/1/18. I'm sure I have no use for that, but the membership is only $16/year so not a big ticket item.

Does anyone find value in being a member? What specific benefits do you get?

I've been a member for over a year, finally caved at age 61 after getting too many solicitations. I really thought it was almost useless.

Then today I went to two optical places to get prices on new lenses for my glasses. I got a new prescription a few weeks ago. We don't have vision insurance so I'm paying for this. One place, VisionWorks, had a coupon for 40% off if you buy a complete pair. The optician asked me if I have an AARP card. I was surprised that I had it with me in my wallet. They told me that an AARP membership gets a 60% discount on a complete pair. That's much cheaper than just getting new lenses and they still had my same frames so I got a whole new pair of glasses for under $200. Maybe that sounds like a lot but I am very near-sighted so I get lined tri-focal, mid-index lenses, I add on Transition and there is usually an additional cost for a strong prescription. My glasses are always costly. Two years ago my glasses were almost $400.

So my AARP membership finally paid off!

(I asked the optician to jot down my pupil distance and my tri-focal spacing so that I can try doing an online order for an additional pair at one of the low cost sites. My needs are fairly specialized.)

So I finally used my AARP card for something worthwhile.

I gave up after 3 years of membership. There are occasional discounts from merchants, but AAA often overlaps. They will send junk mail to solicit for their insurance programs more or less forever. I didn't need additional insurance, so that didn't help me.

Been a member for quite some time. DW and I like the magazines and some places do give you a price break being a member. It's cheap and I like it.

Their United Health Care Medicare supplement plans are supposed to be among the best. They are community rated, not age rated. I have UHC now and my father had the AARP UHC supplement plan. No problems with them. The One Exchange plans are all through second rate companies known to be difficult. I may hold my nose and join AARP if the supplement plan is really that much better.

Their United Health Care Medicare supplement plans are supposed to be among the best. They are community rated, not age rated. I have UHC now and my father had the AARP UHC supplement plan. No problems with them. The One Exchange plans are all through second rate companies known to be difficult. I may hold my nose and join AARP if the supplement plan is really that much better.

That's why I joined; was happy with how DH's UHC supplement worked. I'm pretty sure AAA has most of the same benefits since I don't eat at Denny's!

If you like your membership being counted as a supporter of their political advocacy positions I suppose belonging is a good thing.

If you like your membership being counted as a supporter of their political advocacy positions I suppose belonging is a good thing.

It would be nice if they took a balanced stance on some things. It appears to be "give me more" or you should never get re-elected. I am a member because I volunteer for their VITA tax prep. I do not find any of their benefits to be beneficial.

I joined at age 50. Been using that same card the last 17 years for discounts, etc. My wife joined this year, and the magazine is okay--just barely.

You just have to overlook the fact that they are a political action arm that may or may not believe like you. And they often support political candidates I may not like.

I got my AARP card at 50 to prove I was retired as many folks didn't believe me.

(I know, one can still w*rk and have an AARP card, but I'm old fashioned).

You only need to be a member the 1st yr to join........not needed after that.

I despise AARP.
A lobbying organization designed to steal money from children. Your grandchildren.

I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and won't take the bait of steering the topic off course :cool:.

Not at hotels.com, but on many direct hotel websites, you can get a discount with an AARP card. But if you already an AAA member, this is pretty much duplication of a discount.

AARP betrayed older (and all) Americans via their support of the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement and Modernization Act of 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_Prescription_Drug,_Improvement,_and_Modernization_Act

bunnycake.gif

Back
Top Bottom