Applied for SS- now what?

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
DH applied for SS this morning, but when does he get confirmation that it is all approved? He can see status as pending. Also, when does he get confirmation of the amount? Or does this align with the projections online (he has been retired since 2011 so no new money that would change the projections online)

I signed up online last October and received a phone call from SS a few weeks after and they confirmed the amount I would receive starting this month.

IIRC, my 'pending' status ended a few days after I got my letter explaining the details of my SS payment.

I signed up online last October and received a phone call from SS a few weeks after and they confirmed the amount I would receive starting this month.

Surprised they called- did they need to verify any info or did they call just to tell you about your benefit?

DW got a call yesterday explaining her entire benefit, when she would receive the deposit and when we should stop paying Medicare premiums. They said they would also follow up with a written response. No verification was necessary. We did ask them to withhold for Fed Taxes. I'm not sure if that was on the application or not. I didn't apply for her.

He should get a written notification of the application mailed and it will state the amount of the benefit. In my case anyway the online estimate was spot on since I hadn't worked for several years before applying either.

Surprised they called- did they need to verify any info or did they call just to tell you about your benefit?

They called to see whether DW wanted to start her SS at the same time. I asked them to verify my amount which they gave to me over the phone. I also asked them about withholding for fed tax, and they said I would need to fill out a form and send to my local office, although they did mail me that form a few days after the call.

I just received a written confirmation from them yesterday that reflected the numbers given to me over the phone, but it indicated first payment would not come until 3 rd week in February.

Back
Top Bottom