Has ER.org changed servers, software or other?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm just trying to figure out if it's something on my end or not.

Everything looks the same but when I bring up the ER.org website on my PC or iPad, the ER page to pops up like always but it seems to keep loading for a long time. And the "Community" and "Search" drop downs won't work? All the other drop downs, without down arrows, seem fine. It's been different on my end for several weeks it seems?

Last edited:
The site has been working fine for me lately.

Dell laptop with Windows 8.1 over WiFi to CableOne 100Mbps cable. Chrome 63.0.3239.132 with AdBlock.

Something change a couple weeks ago.

I would click on a link on the portal page where I had previously looked at threads. It would go to the current page instantly, but then take 20 to 40 seconds to go to the first unread message. In the meantime, at the bottom left hand corner of the page I could see what it was trying to load. Thinks like connecting to Facebook, connecting to ad-server, connecting to facebook, blah blah blah. I believe that the lag from those services returning the advertising content was creating the delay.

I installed Ad Block Plus, and the problem disappeared. I have been of the opinion to let the ads run, it seems they help pay for the support of the website. But when they destroy the user experience, then the ad blocker can mask them.

Interesting observation. I have noticed taking longer to load on different sites as well. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the Gov. changed or done away with some regulations if it had w=something to do with it.

I have NO idea just a thought.

I installed Ad Block Plus, and the problem disappeared. I have been of the opinion to let the ads run, it seems they help pay for the support of the website. But when they destroy the user experience, then the ad blocker can mask them.

I mentioned in the other thread I suspected some ad server issue. I just installed uBlock Origin for chrome, and the problem appears to have gone away. When I disable it, the problem returns.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

I started noticing various irregularities after a routine Microsoft update download. This is not uncommon in my experience. Get the force-fed updates then for weeks certain things just get screwy.... then at some point they seem to revert to "regular".. or maybe I just get used to the "new normal"...? Most of them clear up I suspect when MS updates the update that caused all the conflicts.

On an iPad, In the past year or so I have noticed many periods of extreme slowness loading this site, sometimes leading to server timeout. It doesn’t affect any other sites. All my software is current.

Ghostery ad block ON for all ads - no problems. Turn OFF ad blocking - slows tremendously.

My problem was that a new ad was added to the typical list and Ghostery didn't automatically add it to the blocked list.

I haven't seen any change. I do use AdBlock and Ghostery all the time.

I've had trouble with the "Congratulations Google User" (or something like that) popping up on my iPad the last couple of weeks.

Must be something on my end. I’m getting sporadic use of the drop downs, no one else seems to see that. I’ll start digging...

Must be something on my end. I’m getting sporadic use of the drop downs, no one else seems to see that. I’ll start digging...

I don't think so. With the ad blocker turned off the drop downs don't work for me either but that is probably due to the page reload being so slow. With the ad block on they work fine.

I get the same thing on both my iPad and PC running Win10. The quick links and search tabs only function abut 25% of the time.

My recent anomaly is that when I click on a link from the Recent Threads box (upper right), I get redirected to the ad that is directly above that box. Similar enough to the other problems that I guess I need to look at installing some type of ad blocking.

I've been experiencing the same issue.... just installed AdBlockPlus and it solves it.

I don't mind the ads but when it starts spoiling the user experience.....

I'm getting Bergdoff/Goodman lingerie ads. Some great stuff. Thanks for fixing whatever was broken. However, given a choice, I'd like to have my Victoria Secret ads return.

I'm getting Bergdoff/Goodman lingerie ads. Some great stuff. Thanks for fixing whatever was broken. However, given a choice, I'd like to have my Victoria Secret ads return.

You realize that the ads are generated from your browsing history - right? If you want Victoria Secret ads, you have to visit their site more often. :LOL:

Anyway, I installed Ad Blocker and the site operates much better. Thank you for the advice. Personally, I'm willing to put up with ads and even click on them from time to time because I understand that it creates a revenue stream for something I get for free (this site). However, like most advertising today, they have become so intrusive that it degrades the experience of the site. What a shame.

I don't think so. With the ad blocker turned off the drop downs don't work for me either but that is probably due to the page reload being so slow. With the ad block on they work fine.

I get the same thing on both my iPad and PC running Win10. The quick links and search tabs only function abut 25% of the time.

I've been experiencing the same issue.... just installed AdBlockPlus and it solves it.

I don't mind the ads but when it starts spoiling the user experience.....
I’ve never run AdBlock (Plus) and never had a problem before a few weeks ago. So I gather something has changed. I don’t begrudge any site from collecting revenue or running ads, but when it interferes with the basic performance of the site - that seems a bridge too far. Running slow is one thing, but disabling drop down functions, really?

I’ve never run AdBlock (Plus) and never had a problem before a few weeks ago. So I gather something has changed. I don’t begrudge any site from collecting revenue or running ads, but when it interferes with the basic performance of the site - that seems a bridge too far. Running slow is one thing, but disabling drop down functions, really?

I agree, Midpack; there seems to be a problem.

And I have AdBlocker Plus, and I have had it for a long time, so that has nothing to do with the problem. And like you said, the slowdown started 15-20 days ago.

I also clean out history, cookies etc frequently so that's not it either. In fact I just did it, and it's still awfully slow right now. I think I will try with Firefox instead of Chrome and see if that makes it any better.

Interestingly, firefox is much faster. I will have to spend some time to understand why Chrome is so much slower.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom