Lights on all night in under-construction medical building?

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Currently a small-ish 2-story health complex (emergency room and a few other things) is being built nearby. As I drive past after dark, I am struck by the hundred(s) of interior lights that are lit all night long with no one around, as far as I can see.

I can't get onto the property due to the construction fences , so I'm limited to what I can observe while driving. A quick glance or two from a distance shows that they've got the floors, roof, interior steel studs...and obviously, electricity ;), installed at this point. Yet to be installed are ceilings, interior walls, exterior walls, windows, etc.

What is the reason for leaving these hundred(s) of ceiling lights "on", on both levels, all night long? To test the wiring/circuits? For security(seems like overkill)? Something else?

I know I've seen similar lighting at other large under-construction sites over the years, so it is definitely industry practice.

omni

Don't know. Have seen it too. I would guess either liability insurance or burglary prevention.

Theft and vandalism are huge problems on construction sites. Criminals hate the light.

Maybe they are hard wired, until they run the wire for the circuits and switches? You may be seeing the construction lights, not the finished product.

Maybe they get tired of turning on/off switches as the workers run between area of the building?

If they do not have ceilings or walls in, they may not have any of the electric switches in.

Discouraging theft is probably the major reason. Also, even well-run construction sites can be hazardous places, and there will occasionally be specialized trades working at odd hours (to deconflict with other activity)--including workers unfamiliar with the building, hazards, temporary railings, and locations of light switches. When the whole cost of construction is considered, leaving the lights on is a drop in the bucket and a good investment if it decreases thefts and injuries/accidents.

Maybe they are hard wired, until they run the wire for the circuits and switches? You may be seeing the construction lights, not the finished product.

Maybe they get tired of turning on/off switches as the workers run between area of the building?

If they do not have ceilings or walls in, they may not have any of the electric switches in.

I'd definitley guess these are construction lights...as they are very regularly spaced throughout the structure, are very bright, and don't appear to be enclosed in any way....and likely hard-wired as there are only studs in the interior at the moment.

omni

I never cease to be amazed at what the folks on this forum know.

My takeaway...the lights are on for several reasons...theft and vandalism protection, allowing skilled trades to work at times to deconflict (great word & new-to-me) with other worker's schedules, work lighting for preventing injuries/accidents, and general construction lighting until interior electrical is finished....and likely for liability insurance reasons.

Thanks, everyone! :flowers:

omni

We would normally work on construction sites 7 am to 3:30 pm with a half hour lunch. It was still dark when we got started during the winter. And it didn’t get much lighter on cloudy days and even darker as walls filled in. Most of the trades need a lot of temporary lighting to see what they are doing, so the sites need to be lit up quite well. I don’t believe that temporary lighting has switches, so the lights remain on 24/7 until finish lighting gets installed. It probably costs more to add switches, etc than to just leave the lights on. And like others have said - it’s good for security.

We have an abandoned school near us by a park where I'd walk my Dad's dog. The lights have been on for about 5 years now.

Back
Top Bottom