SW Florida get-together, 2018 version

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
On April 1, 2017 a bunch of us in SW FL* got together in Punta Gorda (sort of a meet-in-the-middle spot between Sarasota/Tampa and Ft. Myers/Naples) and had a great time. Exit polls indicated a strong interest in a 2018 gathering.[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]It's time to plan our get-together for the 2017/18 season. :dance:

So, to get the ball rolling....

Who's interested in attending?
(harley, pb4uski, simple girl, Lagniappe, bigcmagor and I attended last year)...Anyone else? Moemg? Khan? Mr. simple girl? From reading the forum, I think SW FL may have acquired a few more forum folks. Hopefully, they'll consider joining us. :greetings10:

When is a good date and time?
(if the seasonal folks are staying until after Easter (April 1), the roads and restaurants might be less congested thereafter, as a huge swarm of snowbirds start heading home Mar. 31)

Where should we meet?
(Hurricane Charlie's in Punta Gorda overlooking Charlotte Harbor was our meeting place last year)

C'mon let's get this party started....:LOL:

omni

[FONT=&quot]*loosely defined as areas in/around Ft. Myers, Bonita Springs, Naples, Marco Island, Cape Coral, Punta Gorda, Charlotte Harbor, Pine Island...up to and including locations near Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key[/FONT]

Last edited:
On April 1, 2017 a bunch of us in SW FL* got together in Punta Gorda (sort of a meet-in-the-middle spot between Sarasota/Tampa and Ft. Myers/Naples) and had a great time. Exit polls indicated a strong interest in a 2018 gathering.[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]It's time to plan our get-together for the 2017/18 season. :dance:

So, to get the ball rolling....

Who's interested in attending?
(harley, pb4uski, simple girl, Lagniappe, bigcmagor and I attended last year)...Anyone else? Moemg? Khan? Mr. simple girl? From reading the forum, I think SW FL may have acquired a few more forum folks. Hopefully, they'll consider joining us. :greetings10:

When is a good date and time?
(if the seasonal folks are staying until after Easter (April 1), the roads and restaurants might be less congested thereafter, as a huge swarm of snowbirds start heading home Mar. 31)

Where should we meet?
(Hurricane Charlie's in Punta Gorda overlooking Charlotte Harbor was our meeting place last year)

C'mon let's get this party started....:LOL:

omni

[FONT=&quot]*loosely defined as areas in/around Ft. Myers, Bonita Springs, Naples, Marco Island, Cape Coral, Punta Gorda, Charlotte Harbor, Pine Island...up to and including locations near Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key[/FONT]

Hi Dtail there
I am one of the new guys from SW FLA area to join the site. I am in Tampa.
I would love to meet up with some folks from this site.

Punta Gorda general area works for me. Will be away from Mar 31 - until Apr 10th, so if the meet up is in that time frame, oh well.

Are SO's allowed to attend?

:greetings10::cool:

Hi Dtail there
I am one of the new guys from SW FLA area to join the site. I am in Tampa.
I would love to meet up with some folks from this site.

Punta Gorda general area works for me. Will be away from Mar 31 - until Apr 10th, so if the meet up is in that time frame, oh well.

Are SO's allowed to attend?

:greetings10::cool:

Hi, Dtail! :greetings10:

Nice to hear from you.

Sure, SOs are allowed. (Mr. simple girl's schedule didn't work out last year, else he would've attended. Maybe this year.)

Watch this space...as we will be fleshing-out the the rest of the details here.

omni

Me too. I had fun last year.

As I remember, Soontobe2015 and Lakerat1 are down in this area too. Hopefully they'll see the thread.

Last edited:
I might be interested...but I plan to be part of that mass northern migration on April 2. I'm in Bradenton... First winter as a snowbird.

It starting to sound like, to maximize attendance, scheduling something before the end of March might be better.

Waiting for a few more to weigh-in.

omni

I might be in . I am in pulmonary rehab right now so depending on how that goes I would love to be there. I also have a suggestion since we have members as far away as Tampa how about considering a place in Venice. I think that would be half way for a lot of us.

I am in, as I had a great time last year. Any weekend between now and the end of May. I am in Fort Myers, so willing to go as far north as Venice or Sarasota for a meetup.

Dtail, harley, pb4uski, bigcmgor, revlefty, Lagniappe, Moemg have indicated they are interested. :D

Hopefully, a few more SWFL folks check in with "yesses" during the week.

Since several already have scheduled departures/absences...and another needs a weekend gathering, how does the weekend of March 24/25 sound? Does one of these days (Sat or Sun) work better than the other?

It's been suggested that we move the location a bit further north to the Venice area. At the moment, harley and I are the 'furthest south' attendees...I have no issue with meeting someplace near Venice. And you, harley? Or anyone else near the Ft. Myers area, are you good with the distance? (I-75 makes is an easy drive, even though it's a bit further than Punta Gorda).

omni

Dtail, harley, pb4uski, bigcmgor, revlefty, Lagniappe, Moemg have indicated they are interested. :D

Hopefully, a few more SWFL folks check in with "yesses" during the week.

Since several already have scheduled departures/absences...and another needs a weekend gathering, how does the weekend of March 24/25 sound? Does one of these days (Sat or Sun) work better than the other?

It's been suggested that we move the location a bit further north to the Venice area. At the moment, harley and I are the 'furthest south' attendees...I have no issue with meeting someplace near Venice. And you, harley? Or anyone else near the Ft. Myers area, are you good with the distance? (I-75 makes is an easy drive, even though it's a bit further than Punta Gorda).

omni

Mar 24th or 25th works for me and the Venice area also works.:D

I love to drive, even in FL, so Venice is fine. It's always fun to see someplace new. And yes, the March 24-25 weekend (or any other) is fine by me.

Hello! Yay! So happy you are planning another meet-up!

I have daytime plans on the 24th but could make an evening dinner meetup. Could also do the 25th.

Excellent....simple girl is interested in joining us. :)

OK...let's pick the Sunday the 25th, as that seems to work for all who have responded so far.

Any suggestions for where to meet (in the general Venice area or thereabouts), that can accommodate around 10 people? (I don't know the area at all.) Hopefully easy to find, with parking nearby, and where they don't mind if we linger a bit.

I'm thinking a "late lunch" might work the best, as there will likely be much laughing and talking, like last year. :LOL:

omni

Okay silly question. Does everyone refer to themselves by their ER ORG name or actual name?

That is iffy for us since my SO's son is getting married that week end .By the way Snook Haven is remote and gets jammed on Sunday with motorcycle groups. In Venice I would suggest Gecko's at Marker 4 or Sharky's .

Sharky's is a classic beachfront restaurant with excellent food. There is also a pier going out into the ocean that you can walk out on. It can be pricey, though, depending on what you choose from the menu.

https://www.sharkysonthepier.com/

Pop's Sunset Grill, just a bit north of Venice, is supposed to be another fun place. It looks like it is bayside. I've not been yet, but a friend recommended it to me. It looks like it is a bit more laidback than Sharky's.

Waterfront Dining, Fresh Seafood - Pop's Sunset Grill - Nokomis, Fl

Snook Haven looks fun, too! Chill and laid back.

I'm open to going wherever!

Sharky's can be expensive that is why I suggested Marker 4 . It is on the Bay and it has a tiki type vibe . I have been to Pop's Sunset Grill but not recently also a fun place.

Sharky's can be expensive that is why I suggested Marker 4 . It is on the Bay and it has a tiki type vibe . I have been to Pop's Sunset Grill but not recently also a fun place.

Great to hear about Marker 4. We really like the local Gecko's food here, so that sounds like an excellent option.

I missed last year and very likely miss this year too - I'm in Oregon until mid April :-(

Back
Top Bottom