Made the switch from Divorced Spousal SS to my own SS!

W2R

Moderator Emeritus
I think this might be the happiest day since the day I retired!

I have been on divorced spousal SS since age 66 (2014), with the idea that my own SS would continue to grow until age 70 (2018) and then I'd switch over to my own SS which would be larger by now.

So, on February 22nd I applied to switch over to SS based on my own employment record. I searched the internet far and wide, and FINALLY found one post over at Bogleheads that indicated that this actually could be done online, here, applying just as though I never had divorced spousal. Our local SS office is horrible beyond belief, and after hearing stories about it from Frank I did not want to go there in person myself.

My worries were:
1) In 2015 a law was passed saying one's own SS would not grow from age 66-70 if doing this; I hoped I was grandfathered but feared I might fall through the cracks.
2) My ex is really on SS disability although he is SS retirement age and I don't understand if that is the same thing or how that works, basically that is a big bottomless abysmal black hole filled with infinite W2R ignorance.
3) Dealing with huge bureaucracies scares the living daylights out of me. :eek:

Today, a very nice, sweet lady from the Chicago SS office called me up on the phone, did not ask me a single question except my birthday to verify that I am me, and then told me it is a "go"!!!! I will start getting SS based on my own employment record in June just as I requested.
:dance: :clap: :dance:
Not only that, the exact dollar amount will be just $1 less than what I had calculated. Probably a rounding error. At any rate I'm proud of myself for being that close. After Medicare is deducted, I will be getting $555/month above what I have been getting on divorced spousal SS. :D

I confirmed with her that I will be getting a new Medicare card too, which is needed since my present one is on my ex-husband's account and SSN.

Considering getting a pint of BlueBell ice cream to celebrate.... :dance: :D

YAY!!!!

:dance:

Love you all - - you really understand my joy in seeing a long time plan actually work (not to mention the $$$$, the Bluebell, etc). It's not greed, it's just relief, joy, surprise, you name it.

I should thank those here who actually explained to me that I could get divorced spousal for those 4 years without getting any less SS at age 70 than otherwise. I'm pretty fuzzy on who is was that I should be thanking, ingrate that I am my memory is gappy on exactly who helped me so much here, but I'm pretty sure mainly Katsmeow and maybe also REWahoo were responsible plus probably a few others that I don't recall. Well anyway, you all, you were right, IT WORKED!!! :dance:

This will be like getting 2 dental implants/year for free. :LOL:

Last edited:
Congratulations! Don't get a headache trying to think of ways to spend the extra money :LOL:

Reactions: W2R
They are made up of people, and you just have to find the right one to deal with. Far easier said than done, but it is the only way.

3) Dealing with huge bureaucracies scares the living daylights out of me. :eek:

:D

My worries were:
1) In 2015 a law was passed saying one's own SS would not grow from age 66-70 if doing this; I hoped I was grandfathered but feared I might fall through the cracks.

Congratulations - but what law are you talking about here? I've never heard about this.

Last edited:
I'm very happy for you.

Me too. Go have a nice expensive plate of crawfish etouffe tomorrow - :)

They are made up of people, and you just have to find the right one to deal with. Far easier said than done, but it is the only way.

Yes, I almost started gushing on the phone about how wonderful it was to deal with a human being and so on, but managed to not do that. She was very sweet and didn't give me any trouble.

Splurge on Ben and Jerry's.
Congrats.

Congratulations!

I'm glad that "aggressive claiming strategy" loophole was grandfathered in for you. Well played! Hopefully everyone else who was eligible claimed it as well.

Until 2015, that strategy was part of our plan too. Oh well - I probably would have wasted the extra money on craft beers anyway.

Congratulations!

I'm glad that "aggressive claiming strategy" loophole was grandfathered in for you. Well played! Hopefully everyone else who was eligible claimed it as well.

Until 2015, that strategy was part of our plan too. Oh well - I probably would have wasted the extra money on craft beers anyway.

Thank you! And I'm sorry the loophole closed before you could claim it. I didn't even know it existed, until forum members told me about it a year or so before I reached FRA.

So nice your plan went according to your plan! Enjoy

Have you changed your Facebook status yet?

Congrats. I'm glad it worked. I was dreading helping my MIL with her SS after my FIL died. It turned out very easy. 2 trips though. They were nice. Armed guard at the door though and no drinks inside.

Hey punk. Put down the coffee and slowly back away.

Last edited:
Nice! Glad it worked out as it was supposed to. And while it was totally the right choice to get the spousal benefit, I'm sure it's extra sweet to be getting a larger check on your own record!

I am very happy that it worked out well for you, W2R, both in that you got the SS amount and new Medicare card, and also in that you survived the bureaucracy unscathed!

I also want to thank you again publicly for discussing these loopholes and how they could apply to people. It was that discussion that led me to realize that I also could file for divorced spousal benefits on my ex's record. Alas, the law changed, but I am still grateful to you for sharing as it is a benefit that could have happened that I would not have known about were it not for you. (I'm similarly grateful for other similar discussions that have also netted me quite a number of benefits. I have to do the work still, but without first knowing about them I wouldn't even have a place to start!)

There was a law passed that closed this and several other loopholes. I think you will find it if you Google something like "2015 law closing Social Security loopholes" or something like that.

EDIT: Here it is:

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/claiming.html

OK, I knew about this one....I got in just under the wire since my birthday was November 1953. I was afraid you were referring to something else. Whew!:):) Thanks.

YAY!!!!

:dance:

Love you all - - you really understand my joy in seeing a long time plan actually work (not to mention the $$$$, the Bluebell, etc). It's not greed, it's just relief, joy, surprise, you name it.

I should thank those here who actually explained to me that I could get divorced spousal for those 4 years without getting any less SS at age 70 than otherwise. I'm pretty fuzzy on who is was that I should be thanking, ingrate that I am my memory is gappy on exactly who helped me so much here, but I'm pretty sure mainly Katsmeow and maybe also REWahoo were responsible plus probably a few others that I don't recall. Well anyway, you all, you were right, IT WORKED!!! :dance:

This will be like getting 2 dental implants/year for free. :LOL:

:dance: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!:dance:

You must be beyond thrilled, especially as it went so seamlessly.

And it's even better than 2 dental implants/year!...you don't have to deal with the pain and aggravation and time, etc. etc.

Have fun blowing all that dough!:LOL:

omni

Congrats, W2R!

I remember your post when you found out about claiming spousal on the ex's record. Nice surprise!

I turned 62 in Feb 2017 and I check my new benefit number every month. My benefit is quite small, but having waited 13 months it has gone up $60/mo by me not filing yet. I'm planning on waiting until Medicare age to claim.

Back
Top Bottom