Retirement treat for yourself?

albireo13

Full time employment: Posting here.
Do folks indulge and get themselves a treat when they retire?
Something they always wanted (hobby?) but always put off?

I am thinking of a nice telescope, a few grand perhaps.
I've been too cheap, saving, the last years.

I bought a brand spankin' new 2003 GMC 4WD pickup truck, special ordered. I still have it, it's about 200 miles shy of turning over 100,000 miles. Everything still works fine on it. That truck replaced my then 18-year-old Chevy 4WD pickup.

I celebrated my first day of retirement (7-3-17) with Salmonella poisoning, while a lawyer was representing me at a Charlotte courthouse for a speeding ticket. :facepalm:

But, upon recovery, I bought a nice used Miata and cruised the Blue Ridge Parkway and mountains for a week (DW was in Asia at the time).

Also, just returned from 3 weeks at Myrtle Beach. I rented 3 ocean front condos and invited my frozen sibs (they live along I-94 from WI to MT) to come thaw out. We had a blast and they enjoyed the 70 (+) temp swing. This trip was part of my retirement gifting to me and mine.

So yeah. Do buy a good telescope and enjoy. Congrats on the freedom! :dance:

Retirement itself was the treat!

But we did buy some things in anticipation of retirement. A few months before I bought myself a brand new SUV, finally getting rid of my ancient but efficient commuter compact car, because I knew we would be spending a lot of time outdoors and in the back country. I also scheduled a long desired trip for a week after my retirement date. Going on that trip felt like a real celebration. Especially knowing I didn’t have to go back to work upon return. :dance::dance::dance:

A new audiophile quality amplifier and digital music player/streamer. Now, of course, good is the enemy of better and better, and visions of new speakers dance in my head. The fear in my wife's eyes is very apparent :)

Joking aside, she has become nearly as enamored of good music reproduction as I.

The other treat we both got, just 4 weeks after retirement was courtesy of the Swiss immigration office: our permanent residency permits!

-BB

Last edited:
Our travel trailer was really old and looking bad. Our pontoon boat was 33 years old and the engine failed.

We got a new fifth wheel trailer and a new tritoon boat as replacements.

I booked a trip to Hawaii.

I plan on buying a sailboat, then sailing on it.. still a few years before I can try to implement that plan. May buy it early though, get it ready ahead of time...

I plan on buying a sailboat, then sailing on it.. still a few years before I can try to implement that plan. May buy it early though, get it ready ahead of time...

Funny thing - after retiring we sold our sailboat! It kept me sane while I waited and planned and jumped through all the hoops to retire. Then once we were retired we didn't need it anymore. We were traveling a lot, so it got neglected and it seemed we were cleaning it more than sailing it.

A Harley Trike!!! My DH has a Road King. And now we are exiting CA to go to SC!! Life on a river with 2 boats- a small metal fishing boat and a small run about cruiser.

My advice is to buy and try it, asap! Some of my friends have a hard time getting into and out of my sports car. Years ago, my friends retired and planned to go cruising on their 45' yacht. They planned and planned... and did not go because of some illness, then she died.

My 94 year old grandma, in her last year of life told me that she was not afraid to die, but that she still had things to do!

DO IT!!!

Began snowbirding down south 2 months after "retirement". Mid Dec. to April 2 or so. Have done it every year since and highly recommend. No more ice/snow/gray skies.

What audrey said earlier, retirement is the treat! What more do you need than glorious freedom!

I guess I figure I got to ER by not spending money for "just because" occasions, why start then? And I didn't deprive myself of everything to get to ER, so no need to wait for retirement for reasonable things you want. And I didn't want to start ER with a standard of doing anything too extravagant or creating excuses to spend money. But if you're going to start a hobby with your new free time and need equipment, that makes sense. A new car can make sense if your needs change, such as swapping a commuter car for an expedition car.

I think a nice trip is a good idea, a way to decompress, if that does it for you. I took a ski trip, but I take a ski trip most years so that wasn't too special. A nice dinner out is another way to mark the occasion and take time to reflect, and start planning and dreaming for the future.

Mine was a trip to Paris. DH hasn't gotten one yet as his mother became ill and we in fact, had to cancel a trip. He's planning his for next fall :dance:.

I bought a Yamaha TW200 so I could ride the dirt.

14473510583_96e887af71_o.jpg

Funny thing - after retiring we sold our sailboat! It kept me sane while I waited and planned and jumped through all the hoops to retire. Then once we were retired we didn't need it anymore. We were traveling a lot, so it got neglected and it seemed we were cleaning it more than sailing it.

I’ve always heard a boat owner’s two best days are the day they buy the boat...and the day they sell it! [emoji38]

I’m also thinking of indulging myself a bit, perhaps (like the OP) a new telescope or perhaps a camera...but the thought of spending the cash gives me pause. [emoji848]

I have a hard time spending money on myself.

I'm retired, my wife is still working. When she calls it quits in a few years, she would like to go to Italy. That will make me happy.

Until then, I don't need any treats - I have everything I really need.

I bought a new bicycle, though it took me a few years to figure out which one I wanted.

Love its light weight and those wonderful hydraulic disk brakes.

Airplanes

So far, I have treated myself to being able to fly a B-25, a MiG-15, and an SNJ. For my 80th birthday in May, I am going to treat myself to flying a P-51

Attachments

• IMG_5790.jpg
    IMG_5790.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5957.jpg
    IMG_5957.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
I special ordered a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon the year I retired, 2013, to get me home in bad weather and to ride off-road trails. It has done both, but the maintenance on it is horrendous. I think I split time with the automotive garage at about 50/50. :nonono:

I bought an Audi All Road wagon for several road trips planned for my first year of retirement. I made one trip in February and am going to the Grand Canyon in April. My coupe was more than ten years old and unreliable for longer trips so it was time for a new car - also not enough cargo room or ground clearance.

The first week while driving the Audi on the interstate, a rock hits my windshield causing a foor long crack. Hopefully this is not an omen of things to come.

i bought this retirement gift a couple weeks before retirement. 2 days after i for rretired, i left fla for Canada where this pic was taken. Three weeks later and i was home. I camped every night but one...and bought a trailer in Canada too.

Attachments

• 20150504_074712.jpg
    20150504_074712.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 20150508_111757.jpg
    20150508_111757.jpg
    762.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 82 (3).jpg
    82 (3).jpg
    886.3 KB · Views: 150
I bought a new bicycle, though it took me a few years to figure out which one I wanted.

Love its light weight and those wonderful hydraulic disk brakes.

New bike for me as well.

Took me about 3 months of indecision to pull the trigger on the electronic shifting, disk brake model.

I did not plan to until DW suggested I do something for myself, to encourage me to pull the trigger. We could not agree on an amount - I thought $10K was fine, but she thought nothing less than $25K was what I deserved. Fortunately it was a brief argument. :) So I have $25K set aside for my own use. I'm sure I'll figure out what to do with it before the end of the year.

I buy event and activities memberships and subscriptions so we can go out often. This week we went to two plays, spent and afternoon in wine country and have a beer festival coming up. That's our ongoing splurge, though I watch for bargains, rush tickets and discounts so the total cost is usually still pretty low for how often we go out.

We gifted ourselves new kayaks and gear, also 2 new bikes - comfy Electra Townies with internal hubs. Keeps us active and it's fun exploring new places.

Back
Top Bottom