Wedding Rings / Bands...Do you wear yours?

kgtest

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
People are different, and this thread will probably show the diversity. Lots of chatter on weddings, and brides etc lately so I figured timing was appropriate.

So question is, do you wear your ring or not?

Some do, some don't. Some have a band, some have a set.
Some are gold, some are silver. Some are tattooed, some are bread-bag twisty ties.

Personally I feel naked, and a bit guilty when I don't and DW doesn't really like it if I don't. Then again there are times we don't. For instance I just broke my pinky and my ring swelled with it. I took that sucker off for breathing room. But now that swelling goes down, back on it goes.

DW is much more "expensive" but similar Value IMHO, but she takes hers off when doing dishes, baths etc. I take mine off when cranking wrenches playing ball etc.

Mine is a mixture of medals, hers is a bunch of tiny diamond surrounded by 3/4 carat. No extra engagement ring, just the wedding ring which we've been told is "different".

As for the co-eds, I realized quickly after I wed, doesn't matter if you wear one, people still flirt.

In my military days, I actually almost dated a married women until I noticed a tan line and started asking some tough questions.

No. I injured my ring finger several years ago. I knew it was going to swell up so I quickly took the ring off. My knuckle never went down enough after that to put it back on. I looked into having it re-sized but the cost would be more than what I paid for the ring and I find it hard to justify buying a new ring. After 34 years of marriage, does it make a difference?

DH and I both have wedding rings and anniversary rings, 40 years this year!
Wear them all the time, except at night.

I wear mine and she wears hers. With that being said I have had mine remade over time widening it and adding some small uncut diamonds. My wife also had hers remade adding 2 bands and uncut diamonds. So just like us, our rings changed a bit over time, got better!

Me... more often then not.... not... it sits in DW's jewelry box. DW has hers on right now... she typically wears hers more than I wear mine. Once I put it on it will stay on until either it bugs me for some reason or I am doing a task where it would be dangerous to wear it.

We were going to get married on the Greek Island of Santorini, and I had an inspiration. I ordered matching wedding rings with the Greek key design. We both still wear ours.

No engagement ring but a fabulous wedding band that I adore. I only ever wear it when going somewhere. It's a very wide "cigar band" type of ring, and I'm a little cautious because it has lots of diamonds of varying sizes and I'm fearful of losing one.

DH wears no jewelry, not even a watch. It has never bothered me that he doesn't wear a ring. I'd rather have him comfortable and happy.

Last edited:
Me... more often then not.... not... it sits in DW's jewelry box. DW has hers on right now... she typically wears hers more than I wear mine. Once I put it on it will stay on until either it bugs me for some reason or I am doing a task where it would be dangerous to wear it.
There's a solution for that.

https://qalo.com/

Me..no...I don't care for jewelry on guys, and especially not this guy.

DW wears hers, plus ear rings/necklace.

Lost my band years ago and never replaced it. It was fitted too loose and it slipped off.
I also lost my engineering iron ring. Rings/jewelry aren't for me!
The missus wears her band regularly but the engagement ring only on occasion.

I find it cuts off my circulation.

My engagement ring was DHs grandmother’s ring from 1925 and I love it and always wear it. My wedding band (1976) is a very slim plain band that nestles next to it. The only time I didn’t wear the antique engagement ring is when it needed a repair. I kind of liked the plainness of just wearing the wedding band but would rather wear them together.

DHs wedding band from 1976 was lost in a field while playing catch with our son. He felt awful about losing it, we even tried a metal detector in the field but never found it. The next day he wanted to replace it. He wears that one all the time.

Our son got married in 2017 and bought his bride an engagement ring and wedding band. He wears my father’s wedding band as his own. He fiddles with it a lot but never takes it off.

Last edited:
I wore a band for some years, but never liked it. Bought a different band from a young woman that worked for me. She had a number of engagement rings and wedding bands for sale from her broken engagements. I wore that band until DW said that it was OK to stop. Never did like jewelry. DW wears a simple band but the engagement ring stays in the box since she lost the diamond several times (we always found it and had it repaired).

Last edited:
DH and I each wear our wedding bands 24/7. My sapphire (which was quite inexpensive back in 1972) engagement ring was not designed to be worn next to a band—the stone’s setting is not high enough, so that’s in the bank vault right now. DH also wears a slender bonus band next to the original band; I gave it to him for our 25th anniversary. We don’t really have activities that would be dangerous to do wearing these plain rings, or for sure we would take them off then.

Mine hasn't been off since the day DW put it there almost 30 years ago. She wears hers when going out of the house but takes it off at home. At the ten-year anniversary I bought a similar ring but with ten diamond chips in it and sometimes she substitutes that.

My husband and I both wears our all the time, very simple plain gold bands. I also wear my engagement ring. Those and plain diamond stud earrings are pretty much the only jewelry I ever wear. I do take mine off when kayaking or biking, just to prevent blister/callous. I've been meaning to look into those cheap silicon ones for those situations but have figured I don't really need one.

We are just 3 years into marriage so we wear ours regularly, they still fit. I see a lot of couples that are married for a long time that don’t, not sure if it’s a figment issue or the novelty has worn off. I was also lucky that my wife doesn’t care about diamonds, I’ve seen people I know spend $10,000 up to $40,000 on diamond rings, we just have 24k bands

DW wears her rings as much as practical, they’re valuable (you could buy a nice new car for the same money, it was important to her, good enough for me). I don’t like wearing rings or any jewelry for that matter so I [-]hate[/-] don’t like wearing my (relatively inexpensive) wedding band, but I do because DW pouts when I don’t. You learn to pick your battles...

Last edited:
I usually where it when we go out somewhere unless we are going to be a bit active, such as boating etc. where it can be lost...

DW only has the engagement ring... never bought a wedding band... I have a white gold ring... I do have a gold ring that was not a wedding ring of my deceased BIL... it is nicer than my wedding but I have not yet had it resized... it is gold with 3 or 4 rows of small diamond that looks really sharp...

Both of us take them off at night... when we are on the road DW takes both and puts them in one of her bags and pulls them out in the morning unless we are hiking or doing something where they could be lost...

Also, DWs diamond it just over 1 caret and we are concerned it could be lost if doing active stuff... it cost me a bundle...

My workplace did not allow wearing rings with gemstones, so my diamond wedding ring stayed home. I got used to not wearing rings for 21 years, especially as it began to get too tight. Finally I got it re-sized after 20 years and wore it once when DH and I entered a jewelry store in June to have the battery in my watch replaced. The jeweler took a great interest in my ring and recommended I have all the prongs surrounding the center diamond replaced. He recommended I come in 6 months later (in December!) for the work. I left, and thought it odd he would recommend the busiest month of the year for ring repair. I later noticed the business was suddenly "Out of Business" in January. Was he planning on closing his business at the end of the year and taking my wedding ring?

Anyway, I rarely wear my wedding ring except to certain occasions--family holiday gatherings, anniversary dinners, and other special occasions.

I have 3 on a platinum chain around my neck.

One was DH's original- a plain platinum which he wore 24/7 until he started losing weight due to health issues. Had it re-sized once and then he lost more weight. It disappeared when we were staying in a hotel between house closings in 2015. At his suggestion, we bought a replacement, in sterling silver, in Iceland.

DH died in late 2016. In early 2017 I was cleaning out a cupboard and found one of the small plastic bags DH usually tucked into his luggage- this one had a few Tums, a few Hydrocodone, TWO nail clippers... and his original wedding band. I was so happy I cried.

So- I have those rings plus the third, which was my wedding band- a thin platinum one which I never took off. It was a great idea- didn't look like it was worth stealing, didn't interfere with activities. After some soul-searching I took it off almost a year ago, on what would have been DH's 79th birthday.

My engagement ring had an imperial topaz in the center. Not only did it save us the "how-big-is-your-diamond" competition and cost a lot less, but I can now wear it as a regular ring, without it being an obviously-recycled engagement ring.

I should also mention: the wedding band from my first marriage was an eternity band of diamonds. I had the "eternity band" cut in half (loved that symbolism!) and had them made into half-hoop earrings.

When in college in Santa Fe NM I puttered with throwing clay. I reclaimed a lot of the clay scrap when doing cleanup and one time found a silver and turquoise ring while wedging up some of the clay I had soaking in a plastic trash can. Posted the found ring but no one claimed it. A year or so later met the gal - she is an actual potter among other things - and the ring fit her perfectly. Been just over 40 years now, and that thick indian silver band and turquoise stone are doing just fine on her finger.

We both wear our rings. DW chose to use my DM’s diamond for her engagement ring. She has two wedding bands, one each from our Las Vegas wedding and our Church wedding. Mine is a band with a few diamonds in it. I had it resized to a smaller size a couple of years ago when I lost weight. Motivation to keep the weight off.

I never took mine off until I lost it while refereeing a football game for my son after 15 years. Replaced it immediately thereafter, have only taken this one off for medical procedures, and promptly put back on. DW wears both of her's unless a medical procedure is going on.

As a mining engineer, I value the hard work it took to mine that gold, diamonds and other gemstones, and admire the artistry of the jewelry. At our 10 year anniversary, we bought some nice rings from an estate in the arms length family. The story goes that when ever the SHTF in the old country, the family business was sold, and invested in 3 diamonds. Before they immigrated, the stones were baked into a loaf of bread, and was brought over on the boat. Once here, one of the stones were sold, and the proceeds went to buying a new fangled business selling horseless carriages in Ohio, one of the biggest dealers at the time of his death. We only wear them for special occasions.

Back
Top Bottom