Rules of Thumb

GravitySucks

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have endless talks about the 4% rule and 25 times expenses rule. What other rules of thumb do you live by.

Here's 2 of mine:

Never eat in an unknown Italian restaurant South of Philadelphia.

There's one in every crowd, and it's always the guy in camouflage shorts.

When you're trying to guess the amount of time you'll need for something new, be sure to think of all the worst case scenarios.

Then double your estimate.

Then double it again.

1). 3.25% rule to be safe

2). When packing for a trip, half the number of shirts and pants and double the number of underwear.

3). To prevent frustration, NEVER assume common sense is common

At the airport, never get in line behind anyone with children.
At a European airport, never get in line behind anyone carrying sticks (some weird thing for folks coming in from Africa)...same rule above applies for children.
At any airport bathroom, never touch anything but yourself. Ever. Even if it means not flushing or washing.
In France always say "Bonjour" before engaging in any conversation or attempted conversation. (had a cop berate me for asking directions without saying that first)
After all your calculations, discussions, sweat, tears and consternations, 4% is about what you can withdraw safely.
Leave your hotel room key where you can find it in the dark and even in an emergency never leave the room without it. Keep your room safe unlocked the night before you leave.
When dealing with your local marina, ALWAYS ask "how much will this cost" first.
The 80/20 rule applies to almost everything. If a concept/plan/idea works 80% of the time, that's usually good enough to get through life.
The best weapon in the world is the first thing you can grab.

Last edited:
1. Lord loves a working man.
2. Dont trust whitey.
3. If you get it, get a shot and get rid of it.

Bonus points for anyone that can tell me what movie this is from.

1. Lord loves a working man.
2. Dont trust whitey.
3. If you get it, get a shot and get rid of it.

Bonus points for anyone that can tell me what movie this is from.
Sure sounds like The Jerk to me..

Last edited:
When estimating the time required for a minor home repair estimate the time the job should require, double it, then add an hour.

Marko, don’t flush the toilet that’s gross.

Never argue with an Idiot. The Idiot won't get any smarter, and you'll just get frustrated.

If you like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you'll like.

1.Never eat at a place called "Mom's"
2.Never play cards with a man named Doc
3. Never go to bed with a person who has more problems than you do

Bankers rules:

Never give a loan to a man with a wig.
Never give a loan to someone living in a castle.
Never give a loan to someone driving in a Rolls Royce.

If you place something fragile/important somewhere and your gut says "Don't" then follow your gut.
I am a hobbyist/tinkerer/jerry rig/hacker guy so this one only applies to this particular species: If you throw something away then you will need it or parts of it in about a week.
Always double check the keys when you leave the car/house.
NEVER check in a bag on a business travel and always check-in early online.

Trust that gut feeling.
When someone shows you their true colors, believe them the first time.
Don't pick a fight with someone that's meaner than you are.
Con artists and addicts are EXTREMELY good liars.

Follow the money.
Whenever some person comes around preaching "all we need is love" or "this investment/medicine always works", or "eat this or that for health", my cynicism cranks in.

Follow the money.

You sometimes get what you pay for but ... you never get what you don't pay for!

Back
Top Bottom