Djia -800

"A quick survey by Bloomberg News of 10 sell-side and buy-side traders saw a "little uptick in hedging activity" on Tuesday and early on Wednesday. However, others are seeing investors step in to add to positions, while a majority of sell tickets are being driven by passive funds off program desks." MSN

The timing of this market dip - if it continues into correction or *GASP* bear territory - would be ideal for me. I do love a good fire sale! By my napkin calculation, we're only down 4.1% though...

Last edited:
That was easy.

I called Whee last week (although I thnk there is an official Whee spokesperson on this forum, can't recall which user). We shall see if we get a correction everyone is so adamantly hoping for lol.

I just don't think it's sustainable with the current economic outlook, but treasuries rise, and equities drop. So that's what we are seeing, along with some profit takers, robo shorts etc.

I was so close to shorting 250k last week, but Warren Buffet's infamous quote turned me away "Market timing is a fool's game".

Instead, I'll buy the dip, and ride the wave. :dance:

"A quick survey by Bloomberg News of 10 sell-side and buy-side traders saw a "little uptick in hedging activity" on Tuesday and early on Wednesday. However, others are seeing investors step in to add to positions, while a majority of sell tickets are being driven by passive funds off program desks." MSN

Good to know, some dude on the exchange floor (jared) sort of hinted that Money Managers would be repositioning there sector buys.

recent VIX article:
https://www.schaeffersresearch.com/content/analysis/2018/10/09/this-vix-signal-has-been-hot-in-2018

And, from another source:

The S&P 500 Index (SPX) is notably lower today, with tech stocks pacing a broad-market decline. However, the index recently did something it hasn't done in three months -- and if recent history is any indicator, the signal suggests traders may want to buy the dip.

Specifically, the S&P ended at least 0.5% above its intraday low for three straight sessions: Oct. 5, 7, and 8. This signal has flashed fewer than 100 times since 2010, including on Nov. 9, 2016, at the start of the "Trump rally." The last signal, on July 9, 2018, preceded a healthy climb to new highs for the SPX.

Last edited:
Djia -800
In case you missed it

And VTI ( Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF ) is down less than 5 points. Feel better now?

Points Shmoints. It's % that matters. So OK, a 3% drop in a day is notable, but not anything anyone but a day trader is going to act on. For me, this is a total yawn.

Another 30%, and I might think about re-balancing. Yawn again.

-ERD50

Oh no!

Whatever.

I actually found a couple interesting individual bonds to buy today. One person's garbage in another person's treasure.

Bonds went down stocks also went down. No place to hide.
Maybe the Fed is going crazy.

I actually found a couple interesting individual bonds to buy today. One person's garbage in another person's treasure.

Lol, that mountain air has you dumpster diving for the good stuff eh? Any snow out there yet?:D:LOL:

Let's see....the economy is strong, unemployment is at an all time low, restaurants are full every night (around here, anyway), shoppers are all in the stores, etc.

Buy the Dip!

Lol, that mountain air has you dumpster diving for the good stuff eh? Any snow out there yet?:D:LOL:

We had snow showers off and on all day. Great day for rummaging through the bond market looking for castoffs.

I was completely oblivious to all the excitement today. I'll have to read up on it tonight.

Anyway, we needed a correction and we still need a bigger correction. Like 20% would be good. The p/e and p/b were getting too high. Taking it down some will make me feel better about buying more shares.

Years of quantitative easing, low interest rates, recent tax cuts, increased gov. debt, economy at equilibrium and an aging population hoarding wealth equals a 40% correction in the near future, at least Harry Dent thinks so !

Back
Top Bottom