Poll on "utilities"

How much is your average monthly cost for TV, landline, cellphones and internet?

• $0 - $50

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • $51 - $100

Votes: 46 15.9%
  • $101 - $150

Votes: 46 15.9%
  • $151 - $200

Votes: 58 20.0%
  • $201 - $250

Votes: 52 17.9%
  • over $250

Votes: 82 28.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pb4uski

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Monthly costs for TV, phone, cellphone and internet. Since we have both singles and couples, adjust as if you were single (eg; include only one cellphone). Please exclude any promotional credits unless you constantly play the promotional credit game. If you have more than one residence, please average to one residence.

I'll start:

TV.... Dish TV at home $65 and Xfinity in FL $30..........average.... $48
"Landline"... $14 for Ooma Premier............................................$14
Cellphone.... airvoicewireless unlimited talk/text and 2GB data.......$18
Internet.... $65 summer (xcl $20 promo credit) and $70 winter......$68

Total.....................................................................................$148

Averaging a total of $182 this year. That should drop to about $130 next year since after waiting patiently for 20 years :) we are at long, long last getting fiber broadband service. That will provide much faster, cheaper and far more reliable internet speeds which will allow us to drop Dish and select a less costly streaming service.

Reactions: W2R
T-Mobile unlimited talk, text, data.............$35
Spectrum internet...................................$46
OTA HD channels.....................................$0
Plex Media Server/Vuze............................$0

Monthly total..........................................$81

That should drop to about $130 next year since after waiting patiently for 20 years :) we are at long, long last getting fiber broadband service. That will provide much faster, cheaper and far more reliable internet speeds which will allow us to drop Dish and select a less costly streaming service.
That’s great news. :)

TV, as Amazon,Hulu, Netflix - $23
Ooma - $10
Cellphone AT&T/3 $35
Internet curse you Frontier,
Hello Spectrum $45
Total...................................$113, $133 up north for non-special price internet

Cricket phone, Brighthouse/Spectrum internet and Sling TV for $185 monthly for 3 people.

Our bundle for those services is 99$.

TV.........................digital antenna........................$0
Landline........................none...............................$0
Cell...........Cricket with unlimited data...................$50
Internet....hotspot feature for cell w/10GB data......$10
Total.................................................................$60

Accustomed to limited data use for laptop from my full-time RV days but will go with more traditional internet service once I finally decide on a more permanent location.

TV........... cut the cord in 2010.
Landline... cut the cord in 2010.
Internet.... $27/mo. Will increase in New Year.
Mobiles..... $70/mo. For DW and myself.

That’s great news. :)

You darn betcha it is!

Contractors are in our neighborhood stringing fiber on utility poles today. Not on our road yet, but I was told they would have our installation done by the end of the year. That will be the best Christmas gift I've received in years!

TV.........................don't have one........................$0
Landline..................don't have one........................$0
Cell.....Republic Wireless, talk and text (no data)......$18 (this was $12 until very recently, but the purchase of a new phone forced me onto their new, slightly pricier, plans)
Internet.............DSL Extreme, basic speed.............$26
Total...............................................................$44

Comcast: mid-level TV channel package, 120 Mb/s internet, home security bundle, $129/month

Verizon: 6 GB/month data plan, Unlimited talk/text, 3 top level phones being purchased (Pixel 2 XL), 4 lines, $239/month

No landline

Our landline is the most expensive one of those three. The only reason we have it is so we can both talk to the kids when they call (without using a speaker phone).

I expected the poll to include costs of content (cable TV, NetFlix DVDs, and streaming services). Maybe that's grist for another poll.

Fiber broadband + cable TV
with movie and sports package. $120

Cell phone with unlimited voice & text
Includes Europe (EEA) coverage inc. 4GB data $17.50

ETA
Our son does not have cable but has the same cell phone. His broadband only is $65 and with his Apple TV gets all the OTA channels.

Like us he also pays $15/month for the OTA channels from the BBC and ITV who provide about 8 channels

Last edited:
Between $150 - $170. Our HOA pays for cable and internet, and the price isn't broken out in our assessment. It's not free, so I answered what I would pay for those 2 items ($40 for TV, $50 for internet). In addition to Verizon cell we also use Vonage (lots of int'l calls). This is an area where our total spending has fallen over the past decade or so.

Yep. Dialup is what we were stuck with for the first 7 years we lived here. :nonono:

I hear ya. Some local merchant gave me a wrong phone number to call for something, maybe a fax (I don’t know). What I got was those screeching noises the modems make when they’re negotiating a connection. It was like a horror movie soundtrack or nails on a blackboard.

Ours comes out to around $330. half of this is Cable TV+internet. Come the New Year I will be looking at cutting this down.

Back
Top Bottom