Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! - 2019 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2019-a-95591.html)

FlaGator 01-05-2019 05:36 PM

Blow That Dough! - 2019

1 Attachment(s)
(Continuing to honor RobbieB - the Patron Saint of spending money on things that make us happy)

https://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-90646-55.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaGator (Post 2167564)
I appreciate all the good wishes and kind thoughts:)

The last 5 years have been interesting, and challenging at times. My kids have been a bright spot and it's feeling good to add even more light to my life.

To keep it on topic....Already started on the financial forecast for this adventure-to call it a "budget" implies fiscal restraint that isn't going to happen ;)

Will be updating as the dough gets blown, and it looks to start within the next 2 weeks :)

And the adventure has begun, sooner than I expected......5 grand today.

The Beautiful Princess found this and negotiated the price down to what was going to be my opening offer. Think I found a good one :)

Yes, she is thrilled, and that makes me happy:)

googily 01-07-2019 03:33 PM

Congratulations! Great way to blow that dough!

I just bought new hearing aids. $5500. Yay. :)

Teacher Terry 01-07-2019 03:37 PM

That’s beautiful!

W2R 01-07-2019 07:54 PM

I didn't buy anything quite as expensive as FlaGator or googily bought, but I DO have five deliveries coming in the next three days, does that count? :rofl: The UPS man is going to be tearing his hair out as the boxes pile up on my front porch.

Actually two of the five are food - -
(1) staples from Prime Pantry (including two boxes of those expensive Quest bars, $46) and a lot of other stuff; and
(2) several hundred dollars worth of grass fed steaks from Butcherbox. Steak is expensive compared with some other choices, but it is what works for me in my weight loss endeavor.

And two packages to be delivered are clothing (that I do NOT need but wanted!):
(3) four ladies' t-shirts and
(4) two pairs of long knit pants. OK, these are a smaller size so in that sense I suppose I needed them after losing weight.

The last package is totally discretionary, though - -
(5) a video game from Amazon, for my new Nintendo Switch.

I'm not sure that I'm done ordering online, either. I'm really getting into it! So far, $528 but I still have extra left over from 2018. So, if I think of anything.....>:D

Teacher Terry 01-07-2019 08:16 PM

We are taking a 11 day vacation in February which includes a 8 day cruise! It leaves from New Orleans and goes to the Caribbean. Last time I was in NO it was 20 years ago.

Souschef 01-07-2019 09:16 PM

We are taking an Alaskan cruise in April. DW wanted a full $uite.on this cruise. It will be our first time in a suite. Should be interesting

The best part of the cruise is that it leaves from LA. NO airports

VanWinkle 01-07-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Souschef (Post 2169411)
We are taking an Alaskan cruise in April. DW wanted a full $uite.on this cruise. It will be our first time in a suite. Should be interesting

The best part of the cruise is that it leaves from LA. NO airports

That cruise is on my bucket list also, hope you enjoy!!

VW

unclemick 01-07-2019 11:34 PM

Got stuck in the field today at the farm after a night rainstorm. Got the neighbor and his tractor to pull my 2013 pickup out. 2wd with mud tires didn't cut it.

The wife is more than happy to go 4wd Jeep Wrangler shopping tomorrow.

;D :facepalm:

heh heh heh - another blow to my long slide from early days of ER. What would the 4 Yorkshire men think if they were real. :rolleyes: :greetings10:

Scuba 01-08-2019 01:41 AM

Private Pilates lessons. Iíve been wanting to try this for years and now that weíve retired, we have time to be consistent. So far we got a bargain at $200 for two hours for DH and me together. Next we will commit some bigger bucks - $900 for 8 lessons or $1,600 for 16. We eventually want to start doing classes, but there is a lot to learn about using the Reformers and I want to make sure we know what weíre doing before we get into a class with 8 others.

Sue J 01-08-2019 11:23 AM

Just had the first Blow That Dough of 2019.

DH was in the basement and noticed that the water heater was leaking. Just a small leak but we know that's not a good sign. It's certainly not going to get better on it's own. The water heater is a 50 gallon one with a quick recovery rate, never had any problems with having enough hot water. It's been great but we've had it since 2004. Water heaters in this area normally last 8-10 years, so it's time for a new one.

Since DH retired in 2010 we've tried to take care of the major systems before it's an emergency so we just had a new water heater installed this morning. Turns out we needed some new fittings and a new gas shutoff. Also, DH wanted to put a drain pan under the unit and run a line to a nearby drain.

Total price of $1712. Yikes, that's a lot more than the one in 2004. But it's DONE and paid for.

Teacher Terry 01-08-2019 12:19 PM

We did the Alaskan cruise and it was wonderful.

Winemaker 01-08-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue J (Post 2169629)
Just had the first Blow That Dough of 2019.

DH was in the basement and noticed that the water heater was leaking. Just a small leak but we know that's not a good sign. It's certainly not going to get better on it's own. The water heater is a 50 gallon one with a quick recovery rate, never had any problems with having enough hot water. It's been great but we've had it since 2004. Water heaters in this area normally last 8-10 years, so it's time for a new one.

Since DH retired in 2010 we've tried to take care of the major systems before it's an emergency so we just had a new water heater installed this morning. Turns out we needed some new fittings and a new gas shutoff. Also, DH wanted to put a drain pan under the unit and run a line to a nearby drain.

Total price of $1712. Yikes, that's a lot more than the one in 2004. But it's DONE and paid for.

Wow! The most expensive gas water heater w power vent at HD is $1044 here is SW PA. The cheapest was an electric heater at $399. Certainly, a blow your dough experience!

Sue J 01-08-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2169688)
Wow! The most expensive gas water heater w power vent at HD is $1044 here is SW PA. The cheapest was an electric heater at $399. Certainly, a blow your dough experience!

Yup.

I even think DH knew he was overpaying. He wanted the same brand that we had before because getting 15 years out of a water heater is unheard of in this area with our hard water. And he wanted to use his favorite plumbing company.

He's at the stage in life where he just wants someone else to come and take care of things and be done with it. He likes electrical work but has a long standing hate for plumbing, so seeing a leak just activates his "blow that dough" button to have someone come and make it all go away.

Some things I'll push for shopping around or maybe getting a less expensive model or whatever. I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere on this one!

And that's why this is posted in the Blow That Dough topic and not a Found A Bargain topic.

Dreamer 01-08-2019 03:25 PM

I am taking a cruise to Bermuda in April and a cruise to New England/Nova Scotia in September.

corn18 01-08-2019 03:29 PM

Instead of moving our 10 yo washer/dryer set to TX we are just buying a new set when we get there.

Beldar 01-08-2019 03:34 PM

We'll be placing MIL in assisted care living this Spring once BIL dies from cancer. Not exactly "Blowing" dough in the positive sense of the thread but nevertheless a significant and permanent expense. No hesitation to do so.

_B

robnplunder 01-08-2019 06:26 PM

I just spent two weeks clearing out my mom's apartment. It renewed my vow to avoid buying anything but consumables. This retired guy won't be blowing his dough on stuff that he can't consume. No way.

HFWR 01-08-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclemick (Post 2169443)
Got stuck in the field today at the farm after a night rainstorm. Got the neighbor and his tractor to pull my 2013 pickup out. 2wd with mud tires didn't cut it.

The wife is more than happy to go 4wd Jeep Wrangler shopping tomorrow.

;D :facepalm:

heh heh heh - another blow to my long slide from early days of ER. What would the 4 Yorkshire men think if they were real. :rolleyes: :greetings10:

You must be in football heaven, though, what with the Chiefs and the Saints...

Ronstar 01-08-2019 07:06 PM

Getting a new 15Ē MacBook Pro. Getting it online so that I can trade in my old MacBook. Itíll take a few days to strip the old one, send it in, get the refund, etc.

Lewis Clark 01-08-2019 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamer (Post 2169777)
I am taking a cruise to Bermuda in April and a cruise to New England/Nova Scotia in September.

Both of these cruise itineraries are excellent! Hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

JDARNELL 01-08-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnplunder (Post 2169868)
I just spent two weeks clearing out my mom's apartment. It renewed my vow to avoid buying anything but consumables. This retired guy won't be blowing his dough on stuff that he can't consume. No way.

Thatís a great idea!

NW-Bound 01-08-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnplunder (Post 2169868)

Oh, one can blow a lot of dough on consumables. Caviar, kobe beef, jamůn ibťrico, XO cognac, foie gras, truffle...

robnplunder 01-08-2019 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2169933)
Oh, one can blow a lot of dough on consumables. Caviar, kobe beef, jamůn ibťrico, XO cognac, foie gras, truffle...

Don't forget grass fed beef, cheese, and butter :facepalm:.

Walt34 01-09-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue J (Post 2169772)

He's at the stage in life where he just wants someone else to come and take care of things and be done with it. He likes electrical work but has a long standing hate for plumbing, so seeing a leak just activates his "blow that dough" button to have someone come and make it all go away.

I think he and I might be cousins. I've always hated plumbing, it always took at least three, and more often five, trips to the hardware store for tools and fittings. The whole task became an exercise in frustration. It is so nice to be at the stage where I can just call somebody and my only involvement is writing the check.

braumeister 01-09-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt34 (Post 2170408)
I've always hated plumbing, it always took at least three, and more often five, trips to the hardware store for tools and fittings.

Completely normal. I'm an inveterate DIY-er and I fully subscribe to the ironclad rule that any plumbing job requires three trips to the store. It never fails.

sallie50th 01-10-2019 01:20 AM

Best Motto

My friend gave me a framed motto, & I have taken it to heart:
DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!

I now strive to perfect the art of self-indulgence.

Mr. Tightwad 01-10-2019 11:33 PM

$402 on my kids textbooks

Philliefan33 01-11-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad (Post 2171110)
$402 on my kids textbooks

Thatís a bargain!

HawkeyeNFO 01-11-2019 11:09 AM

Building a new house this year. mid-six figures

RockyMtn 01-11-2019 11:26 AM

14 day mediterranean cruise in October on Seabourn Cruise line. All suite ship. $15k before airfare which will probably be another $11k for biz class. Probably a few days in Paris on the front or back end. Probably $29-30k when all is said and done.:coolsmiley:

corn18 01-18-2019 09:06 AM

55mm Laco Nav B-Uhr pilot watch, limited edition. Been looking for one for a while.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/S7wAA...4K/s-l1600.jpg

$2800, so it fits the blow category.

Winemaker 01-18-2019 12:33 PM

DW and I were tired of our 2 couches and gave it them to the kids. We have been looking around trying to get a feel/idea and have had a few "designers" stop by to chime in. We stopped at the King of Prussia Mall near Philly 2 weeks ago, and about choked on the price of an handmade Italian leather couch that sold for $16,000! Then I had to add 5% for freight/shipping! Boy am I glad the dollar is strong! I haven't paid that much money for a car in the past 12 years!!!

No, we didn't purchase.

W2R 01-18-2019 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2174665)
DW and I were tired of our 2 couches and gave it them to the kids. We have been looking around trying to get a feel/idea and have had a few "designers" stop by to chime in. We stopped at the King of Prussia Mall near Philly 2 weeks ago, and about choked on the price of an handmade Italian leather couch that sold for $16,000! Then I had to add 5% for freight/shipping! Boy am I glad the dollar is strong! I haven't paid that much money for a car in the past 12 years!!!

No, we didn't purchase.

Well you need to go right back there and purchase it! :laugh: I absolutely love my $2,000 Italian leather easy chair with ottoman that I bought four years ago (commercial photo of it below), and to me it has a lot of value. Some day I might buy the matching sofa.

Winemaker 01-18-2019 03:31 PM

That's a nice chair, and that's what I'm looking for, I think. DW will tell me what I like!:laugh:

But you got 2 pieces with your $2,000.

W2R 01-18-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2174774)
That's a nice chair, and that's what I'm looking for, I think. DW will tell me what I like!:laugh:

But you got 2 pieces with your $2,000.

Yes I did, so maybe it isn't as high quality as the sofa you looked at. But it sure is sturdy and durable.

I am sure you and your DW will be able to find a compromise solution of some kind. Being single, all I had to do was to find what I wanted and then pay for it, which was easier because I didn't have to work out a compromise.

I just went to the website of the store where I bought it (Hurwitz Mintz here in New Orleans), and they don't carry it any more. So they don't carry the sofa either, any more. Oh well! One less expense for now. I'd rather have a mismatching sofa than to give up this chair which I value greatly.

Bestwifeever 01-18-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2174684)
Well you need to go right back there and purchase it! :laugh: I absolutely love my $2,000 Italian leather easy chair with ottoman that I bought four years ago (commercial photo of it below), and to me it has a lot of value. Some day I might buy the matching sofa.

What a beautiful chair and ottoman! The best seat in the house! We also have a (less-nice) leather easy chair and ottoman and having the ottoman makes me feel rich for some reason.

W2R 01-18-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestwifeever (Post 2174812)
What a beautiful chair and ottoman! The best seat in the house! We also have a (less-nice) leather easy chair and ottoman and having the ottoman makes me feel rich for some reason.

Thank you! I love my chair so much. Nobody else gets to sit in it (like Archie Bunker's chair, in that respect). And, I never sit anywhere else in my den. I much prefer an ottoman to a Laz-y-Boy mechanism because I seem to have a talent for jamming the latter beyond repair.

Previously I got a cheap sofa, loveseat, chair, and ottoman, all for $949. I still have the sofa and loveseat, but the chair only lasted a couple of years. Since most of the wear and tear for me is usually inflicted on the chair, I bought the above sturdy and comfortable one as a big splurge in 2015.

This was RIGHT before my Dream Home came on the market, just a week and a half later. When I saw the For Sale sign in front of my Dream Home, the first words out of my mouth were an anguished "Oh no, why NOW?" because I had just spent so much on that chair. :rofl: But it all worked out nicely.

audreyh1 01-18-2019 05:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Stumbled onto the Costco Traeger display a couple of weeks ago and bought me the entry level Junior Elite 20. That wasn't really much of a splurge. But if I get hooked I'll probably splurge on a larger one.

It's done some very nice cooking so far. Some outrageously delicious food! - baby back ribs and a smoked chicken.

I was in the market for a smoker, just hadn't really considered a pellet grill before.

Scuba 01-18-2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2174665)

No, we didn't purchase.

Italian furniture is very expensive but nice quality. Natuzzi makes quality modern looking sofas. They are still quite expensive, but probably not $16K. Of course it depends on the size, style and color you want.

We paid a big premium for our dining room chairs which are upholstered in leather because of their style (also Italian). The leather they use is the same leather that goes into Ferrariís so they were pricey, but we were able to get the unusual color we wanted. They are very comfortable and stylish too.

I think letting DW choose the sofa is a good idea. [emoji6] If youíre up for spending big bucks and you like modern style, check out Roche Bobois. They have some very nice sofas and sectionals. Long lead times as everything comes from France.

Global Wizzo 01-18-2019 06:33 PM

So far $$

This was going to be a slower travel and expense year. Right!
First trip to Banff. Rock from the mtn got the roof corner on a new rental. Few $$ there. DW found another arctic coat and another 1k.

Trips between now and Apr include Beijing, Tucson, Italy with multiple stops and Nashville. Got another Beijing trip in October and Orlando, then a Dubai trip in Nov. thinking about Sydney for New Years.

2018 found us in 15 countries and some of them up to four times.

Guess we arenít slowing down.

GW

Global Wizzo 01-18-2019 06:34 PM

Not slowing down

This year was supposed to be a lower travel year. Right!
First trip to Banff. Rock from the mtn got the roof corner on a new rental. Few $$ there. DW found another arctic coat and another 1k.

Trips between now and Apr include Beijing, Tucson, Italy with multiple stops and Nashville. Got another Beijing trip in October and Orlando, then a Dubai trip in Nov. thinking about Sydney for New Years.

2018 found us in 15 countries and some of them up to four times.

Guess we aren’t slowing down.

GW

Ronstar 01-18-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2174858)
Stumbled onto the Costco Traeger display a couple of weeks ago and bought me the entry level Junior Elite 20. That wasn't really much of a splurge. But if I get hooked I'll probably splurge on a larger one.

It's done some very nice cooking so far. Some outrageously delicious food! - baby back ribs and a smoked chicken.

I was in the market for a smoker, just hadn't really considered a pellet grill before.

Nice smoker! You might not need a bigger one. I bought a separate generic grate and created a 2nd level by resting the 2nd grate on 4 opened cans of pork n Beans (with bacon added) sitting on the 4 corners of the lower grate. I had a slab of ribs on each level and cooked up the beans at the same time.

The Cosmic Avenger 01-18-2019 06:55 PM

We just had an emergency large vet inpatient visit that will probably be in the mid- to high four digits. There goes our discretionary spending for a while! #BlowThatDough

audreyh1 01-18-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2174881)
Nice smoker! You might not need a bigger one. I bought a separate generic grate and created a 2nd level by resting the 2nd grate on 4 opened cans of pork n Beans (with bacon added) sitting on the 4 corners of the lower grate. I had a slab of ribs on each level and cooked up the beans at the same time.

Thanks!

I could easily have done two racks of ribs (and wish I had! as we gobbled up that rack in two meals). And supposedly you can do three with a rib rack.

There are a couple of features not available on this unit. So if I do quite a bit with it I'll feel justified in upgrading.

Ronstar 01-18-2019 07:12 PM

^ yes 3 racks of ribs will fit - 2 on top - 1 below with the cans. I donít know if youíve checked out Traegerís website- they have a lot of good recipes. Iíve done the midnight brisket a few times. And Iíve used the 3-2-1 rib recipe. Good stuff.

Winemaker 01-18-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba (Post 2174869)
Italian furniture is very expensive but nice quality. Natuzzi makes quality modern looking sofas. They are still quite expensive, but probably not $16K. Of course it depends on the size, style and color you want.

We paid a big premium for our dining room chairs which are upholstered in leather because of their style (also Italian). The leather they use is the same leather that goes into Ferrari’s so they were pricey, but we were able to get the unusual color we wanted. They are very comfortable and stylish too.

I think letting DW choose the sofa is a good idea. [emoji6] If you’re up for spending big bucks and you like modern style, check out Roche Bobois. They have some very nice sofas and sectionals. Long lead times as everything comes from France.

Yeah, it was a Natuzzi. Yes we like nice things, but $16,000 is a an obscene amount to spent on a light colored leather couch with a glass of red wine. If she let's me drink anything hile sitting on any couch. The first couch we ever bought was a Ethan Allen sleeper and it's downstairs in the cellar with the wine. DW reupholstered it about 5 years ago. It's 36 years old, and we might be due.

audreyh1 01-18-2019 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2174900)
^ yes 3 racks of ribs will fit - 2 on top - 1 below with the cans. I don’t know if you’ve checked out Traeger’s website- they have a lot of good recipes. I’ve done the midnight brisket a few times. And I’ve used the 3-2-1 rib recipe. Good stuff.

Yes, I have been reviewing the Traeger site and cookbook recipes plus watched a bunch of videos.

The rib recipe I did was 3-2-1 and it was indeed truly awesome.

Which model do you have?

I'm a little nervous about brisket. I'm thinking I might want a larger hopper plus I'd like to have the pro controller which is not compatible with my unit. Temperature "control" on my unit is wild and crazy, although that doesn't seem to interfere with the look or taste of the food.

I once had my fire go out on smoke after a couple of hours and that's a pain to rectify. I think it's because I lifted the lid to brush with apple juice about when it was dropping to it's lower temp and I think that interfered with the induction fan stoking the fire to raise the temp again and it couldn't recover. It's a bit finicky.

Thanks - I'll check out that Midnight Brisket - since it uses a flat. I don't think we can handle anything over 8 pounds.

I'm motivated to do a tri-tip. Love that cut and I bet it would turn out awesome on a Treager.

Winemaker 01-18-2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2174959)
Yes, I have been reviewing the Traeger site and cookbook recipes plus watched a bunch of videos.

The rib recipe I did was 3-2-1 and it was indeed truly awesome.

Which model do you have?

I'm a little nervous about brisket. I'm thinking I might want a larger hopper plus I'd like to have the pro controller which is not compatible with my unit. Temperature "control" on my unit is wild and crazy, although that doesn't seem to interfere with the look or taste of the food.

I once had my fire go out on smoke after a couple of hours and that's a pain to rectify. I think it's because I lifted the lid to brush with apple juice about when it was dropping to it's lower temp and I think that interfered with the induction fan stoking the fire to raise the temp again and it couldn't recover. It's a bit finicky.

Thanks - I'll check out that Midnight Brisket - since it uses a flat. I don't think we can handle anything over 8 pounds.

I'm motivated to do a tri-tip. Love that cut and I bet it would turn out awesome on a Treager.

I used one of these on "vacation" this summer several times.. Not a bad unit, but the fire went out once when the pellets did not all flow out of hopper. Perhaps the slow feed allowed the easy pellets to fall and enter the feed auger, but the angle of repose did not allow them to empty. No fuel, no flame.

Ronstar 01-19-2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2175005)
I used one of these on "vacation" this summer several times.. Not a bad unit, but the fire went out once when the pellets did not all flow out of hopper. Perhaps the slow feed allowed the easy pellets to fall and enter the feed auger, but the angle of repose did not allow them to empty. No fuel, no flame.

That has happened to my Traeger a few times. But it hasnít happened since starting vacuuming out the ash/ partially burned pellets in the pot area where the pellets are burned - before I start the smoker.

audreyh1 01-19-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2175045)
That has happened to my Traeger a few times. But it hasnít happened since starting vacuuming out the ash/ partially burned pellets in the pot area where the pellets are burned - before I start the smoker.

Interesting.

So far my firepot has been pretty darn clean after running the shutdown.

Canoesmith 01-20-2019 08:22 AM

Building a big garage and retiring in July

With my retirement date of July 5th 2019 I am finalizing a deal with a builder to construct a 1024 sf garage at our cabin this coming spring to be completed by my retirement. This will give me room for more toys once I get up there for the summers. Seems decadent to spend so much on an outbuilding but it will be insulated and finished like a home. But that space will be so helpful for storage and as a work area. It will really make our place complete.

Blowing the dough already here in 2019!

googily 01-20-2019 08:47 AM

Have signed a contract to spend a fortune to have a landscape designer tackle my front yard, which has gone completely to seed and which needs far more assistance than I am capable of or interested in. I think once it is overhauled I will be happy to get back to maintaining it, though. Been in this house 25 years, so I think yanking everything out and starting over is not a complete boondoggle in and of itself, but I did choose one of the most expensive outfits to do it. But he does amazing work.

Ronstar 01-20-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canoesmith (Post 2175708)
With my retirement date of July 5th 2019 I am finalizing a deal with a builder to construct a 1024 sf garage at our cabin this coming spring to be completed by my retirement. This will give me room for more toys once I get up there for the summers. Seems decadent to spend so much on an outbuilding but it will be insulated and finished like a home. But that space will be so helpful for storage and as a work area. It will really make our place complete.

Blowing the dough already here in 2019!

That doesnít seem decadent to me. Seems like a pre-retirement necessity. I wish I would have done it.

audreyh1 01-20-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by googily (Post 2175724)
Have signed a contract to spend a fortune to have a landscape designer tackle my front yard, which has gone completely to seed and which needs far more assistance than I am capable of or interested in. I think once it is overhauled I will be happy to get back to maintaining it, though. Been in this house 25 years, so I think yanking everything out and starting over is not a complete boondoggle in and of itself, but I did choose one of the most expensive outfits to do it. But he does amazing work.

Something that you will enjoy for years, and ultimately will contribute to the resale of your home. Totally worth getting the best outfit to do it assuming they give superior results!

Ginny 01-21-2019 06:19 AM

A week in NO for the Jazz & Heritage Festival in May with friends. One more completion from the bucket list.

Bestwifeever 01-21-2019 08:34 AM

DH turned 70 last month and we now will pay a snow-removal company $35 per visit to take care of our sidewalks, stairs, and short driveway. DH honestly loves shoveling snow and will still do the backyard deck and short pathways, but it’s time. We both worked through Saturday’s snow and it was a workout for sure.

Nick12 01-21-2019 09:20 AM

My parents who are seniors recently bought an $11k Generac generator that powers the whole house in case of a power outage. Money well spent for piece of mind and increases resale value of the home.

W2R 01-22-2019 06:53 PM

I feel like I have been spending like a drunken sailor this month! So I just looked at my spending log, and here is some of the extra spending that stands out:

$277 for a big box of grass fed beef steaks that I am enjoying ;D
$215 for video games + accessories, and non-gaming software
$200 for clothes from Lands End

This adds up! Almost $700 total, and deliveries about every other day all month.

And then, there's quarterly estimated taxes plus my usual spending.
Blow That Dough!
:dance:

Winemaker 01-22-2019 08:22 PM

DW picked out an Ethan Allen all leather couch with full protection plan on leather for just under $3500. Sure beats the $16,000 Natuzzi!

W2R 01-22-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2177331)
DW picked out an Ethan Allen all leather couch with full protection plan on leather for just under $3500. Sure beats the $16,000 Natuzzi!

Good job! And now you have $12,500 left over to blow on other stuff, should you be so inclined... ;D

Winemaker 01-22-2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2177332)
Good job! And now you have $12,500 left over to blow on other stuff, should you be so inclined... ;D

Grapes!:dance:

travelover 01-22-2019 10:25 PM

Don't know whether to post this in My Recent Repair, What did You Do Today? or Blow that Dough. Our attached garage's roof started leaking at a valley and I really couldn't find an easy explanation, so I called out a roof repair guy to see if he could find the problem. Long story short, the roof was not installed correctly in this area compounded by a slope transition to a flatter roof half way down the valley. Because part of the roof already has two layers, they were not willing to just redo the valley area alone, so I'm going to have to re-roof most of the garage to the tune of $7000. Sucks, but so does water damage. :(

Scuba 01-23-2019 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger (Post 2174888)
We just had an emergency large vet inpatient visit that will probably be in the mid- to high four digits. There goes our discretionary spending for a while! #BlowThatDough

Yikes! I hope your pet is ok.

Scuba 01-23-2019 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2174933)
Yeah, it was a Natuzzi. Yes we like nice things, but $16,000 is a an obscene amount to spent on a light colored leather couch with a glass of red wine. If she let's me drink anything hile sitting on any couch. The first couch we ever bought was a Ethan Allen sleeper and it's downstairs in the cellar with the wine. DW reupholstered it about 5 years ago. It's 36 years old, and we might be due.

Ha ha, one nice thing about Italian leather couches is that you can spill wine on them and it wipes right up, unlike a fabric sofa. Ours is white.

Scuba 01-23-2019 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginny (Post 2176239)
A week in NO for the Jazz & Heritage Festival in May with friends. One more completion from the bucket list.

Jazz Fest is very fun but insanely crowded. Enjoy! Try the Crawfish Monica.

Scuba 01-23-2019 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2177274)
I feel like I have been spending like a drunken sailor this month! So I just looked at my spending log, and here is some of the extra spending that stands out:

$277 for a big box of grass fed beef steaks that I am enjoying ;D

$215 for video games + accessories, and non-gaming software

$200 for clothes from Lands End

This adds up! Almost $700 total, and deliveries about every other day all month.

And then, there's quarterly estimated taxes plus my usual spending.

Blow That Dough!

:dance:

That sounds great, W2R. Enjoy!

Scuba 01-23-2019 01:54 AM

Quote:

Wow! Just curious, does it look like the Natuzzi? We have never been able to find a couch we like that isnít very expensive and made in Italy or France. We have a very modern decor and donít care for the high backs and puffy look of many of the sofas on the market. Ours is only a few years old now, but I sure huge we can find a less expensive one that looks sleek and modern next time!

Scuba 01-23-2019 01:56 AM

We have Hunter Douglas roller shades in our condo. We donít have a blackout shade in our master BR and are considering adding two - one slider and one large window. Quote is around $3K! Yikes!! We can buy a lot of eyeshades for $3K.

The Cosmic Avenger 01-23-2019 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba (Post 2177401)
Yikes! I hope your pet is ok.

Thanks, Scuba. He's back home now, very happy...and hungry! We're just very grateful that we have the ability to take care of this without going into debt.

Dawg52 01-23-2019 06:26 AM

Here's a low end blow that dough item. Bought a Bose soundbar for my condo. New at Best Buy cost $250. Got an open box one on the net for $160. Some spend that much on lunch. Ha. Works great and really improves the sound. Cable out last night so streamed music from my mp3 player. Nice combo with my beer.

steelyman 01-23-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg52 (Post 2177435)
Here's a low end blow that dough item. Bought a Bose soundbar for my condo. New at Best Buy cost $250. Got an open box one on the net for $160. Some spend that much on lunch. Ha. Works great and really improves the sound. Cable out last night so streamed music from my mp3 player. Nice combo with my beer.

Nice choice. Iíve been slowly building a Bose system for the past few years and love it, it sees daily use. The initial choice was Bose or Sonos (nothing against the latter). In-store listening guided the final selection.

NW-Bound 01-23-2019 07:42 AM

Quote:

We bought our Natuzzi set some years ago, and still have it. Did not pay anywhere near $16K though.

Maybe fake Natuzzi, despite buying from a large upscale department store? :)

Winemaker 01-23-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba (Post 2177405)
Wow! Just curious, does it look like the Natuzzi? We have never been able to find a couch we like that isnít very expensive and made in Italy or France. We have a very modern decor and donít care for the high backs and puffy look of many of the sofas on the market. Ours is only a few years old now, but I sure huge we can find a less expensive one that looks sleek and modern next time!

The couch we got was a Ethan Allen "Bennet" frame style at a 86" long. We were replacing a 96" Ethan Allen sleeper, that well was hardly ever used as a sleeper. While we were trying to make the living room "cozier" by reducing the size, we also went with a more natural leather style instead of a pebble grained purse or handbag leather. While they are attractive, we wanted to be able sit in them, and they look much more inviting. It is not modern; they look "hard" to me.

Winemaker 01-23-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2177466)
We bought our Natuzzi set some years ago, and still have it. Did not pay anywhere near $16K though.

Maybe fake Natuzzi, despite buying from a large upscale department store? :)

The $16,000 Natuzzi sofa/couch was at the Natuzzi Store at the King of Prussia Mall near Philly. Not a knockoff, but it was as big as an aircraft carrier minus the tower. There are many real Natuzzi's that we saw locally that were sold at other furniture stores that were in our price range (<$6000) but just didn't tickle our fancy. The $16,000 model had fingertip controls between the leather cushions, as well as individual power headrests, recliners, lumbar support,and USB ports.

We just wanted a leather couch, not a car without the engine, tires and wheels in our living room. Call me a cheap boring fuddyduddy.

audreyh1 01-23-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba (Post 2177407)
We have Hunter Douglas roller shades in our condo. We donít have a blackout shade in our master BR and are considering adding two - one slider and one large window. Quote is around $3K! Yikes!! We can buy a lot of eyeshades for $3K.

Budget Blinds carries less expensive lines of Hunter Douglas. Maybe there is a less expensive alternative that is still nice enough.

W2R 01-23-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2177557)
The couch we got was a Ethan Allen "Bennet" frame style at a 86" long. We were replacing a 96" Ethan Allen sleeper, that well was hardly ever used as a sleeper. While we were trying to make the living room "cozier" by reducing the size, we also went with a more natural leather style instead of a pebble grained purse or handbag leather. While they are attractive, we wanted to be able sit in them, and they look much more inviting. It is not modern; they look "hard" to me.

That model looks beautiful, comfortable, and sturdy. They also offer an attractive matching leather chair and ottoman in that style that I would have bought too, had it been me. So you were more frugal than I would have been. Anyway, good choice and I hope the sofa is just right for you and your DW. :)

FlaGator 01-23-2019 05:01 PM

Flew west for a long weekend with the Beautiful Princess:)

Travel, meals together, meals with her family, champagne, a few gifts for her - $1,200.

TrvlBug 01-23-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2177660)
Budget Blinds carries less expensive lines of Hunter Douglas. Maybe there is a less expensive alternative that is still nice enough.

I believe it's called "Alta." We have their silhouettes at 60% of the HD price. The differences: not as much color selection, made in Mexico instead of US with more plastic parts. Warranty is the same and they have stood up beautifully. WE used an independent window treatment company. You need to ask for it, they didn't offer it until I totally balked at the price of the HD product.

Scuba 01-23-2019 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger (Post 2177428)
Thanks, Scuba. He's back home now, very happy...and hungry! We're just very grateful that we have the ability to take care of this without going into debt.

Oh good! Iím sure heís very happy and probably getting a bit of pampering. [emoji240][emoji177]

Scuba 01-23-2019 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2177557)

Looks very nice and comfortable too. Weíll look at this brand next time weíre in the market for a sofa. Hopefully that wonít be soon given the outlay required for the one we have now!

Scuba 01-23-2019 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2177660)

Thanks. We will check this out.

Scuba 01-23-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrvlBug (Post 2177985)
I believe it's called "Alta." We have their silhouettes at 60% of the HD price. The differences: not as much color selection, made in Mexico instead of US with more plastic parts. Warranty is the same and they have stood up beautifully. WE used an independent window treatment company. You need to ask for it, they didn't offer it until I totally balked at the price of the HD product.

Good to know, thanks for the details.

retiresumtime 01-26-2019 12:13 PM

Ok all, advice April 1 is it. 32 years 57 years old..... we are looking to take an overseas trip... never before. Headed most likely London .... my question what is the difference between economy or express if I am am going to pay more what do we get ?

retiresumtime 01-26-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiresumtime (Post 2179649)
Ok all, advice April 1 is it. 32 years 57 years old..... we are looking to take an overseas trip... never before. Headed most likely London .... my question what is the difference between economy or express if I am am going to pay more what do we get ?

O yeah. Blow that dough!!!

Gotadimple 01-26-2019 12:41 PM

Economy - you can put stuff in the overhead bin. Express - you can't. Same seat size in the back of the cabin closer to the bathrooms.

Premium Economy - depends on the airlines. Generally at the front of the Economy section. In some airlines, slightly wider seat with more leg room and a better pitch when reclining the seat. A budget version of Business class.

Big hint: don't pay for premium economy upfront. Upgrade at a lower price (if available) closer to departure.

- Rita

retiresumtime 01-26-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotadimple (Post 2179669)
Economy - you can put stuff in the overhead bin. Express - you can't. Same seat size in the back of the cabin closer to the bathrooms.

Premium Economy - depends on the airlines. Generally at the front of the Economy section. In some airlines, slightly wider seat with more leg room and a better pitch when reclining the seat. A budget version of Business class.

Big hint: don't pay for premium economy upfront. Upgrade at a lower price (if available) closer to departure.

- Rita

Thank you

Dreamer 01-27-2019 10:37 AM

We have booked a Vikings River Cruise, Rhine Getaway for May 2019. We are excited. We have never been to Europe. We will have 2 days in Switzerland before the 8 day cruise and 2 days after the cruise in the Netherlands. We are going with my sister and her DH.

TappyGee 01-29-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyMtn (Post 2171277)
14 day mediterranean cruise in October on Seabourn Cruise line. All suite ship. $15k before airfare which will probably be another $11k for biz class. Probably a few days in Paris on the front or back end. Probably $29-30k when all is said and done.:coolsmiley:

Let me know if you need someone to come along to carry yours bags. :laugh:

Lawrencewendall 01-29-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger (Post 2177428)

We started using Care credit 0% for vet bills several years ago.

FlaGator 01-30-2019 09:17 PM

Ordered a dozen long-stem red roses with a redneck-size balloon :biggrin: to be delivered to the Beautiful Princess at her office on Valentine's Day - $100 :)

RunningBum 02-07-2019 07:07 PM

The value is gone from baseball cards, right? I should just toss 'em or let them sit in boxes, right? Nah, blow more dough on them. A few months ago I bought a bunch of 9 pocket sheets to put them in binders rather than just storing them in boxes. This week I decided that was enough so I blew a little more dough on some acrylic card holders to display the best cards (hall of famers and favorites) in my loft book case. Pretty excited to finish out this project. For years they've just been sitting in boxes, now I'll walk by them every day and can easily stop and view them. It's almost better that they have little value. For a few years I was almost paranoid and kept the most valuable ones in my lock box. Now that I know nobody will break into my house for them, I feel good about having them out in the open.

Hobby #2, model trains. Years ago my son and I set up a nice U-shaped layout with 3 4x8 boards plus another ~4x4, so about 112 sq ft. We set up some nice bench work and built a really cool paper mache mountain with tunnels for the trains to go through, but it kind of sat for years with occasional use and view. We added a new building here and there. Now we've gotten back into it and are going to finish out the landscaping with roads and such. I've looked into lighting. There's a real nice and easy plug in system that will probably run about $400. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, my son needs to come back to get his views since this has been a joint project since he was about 12 (16 years ago), but probably will. I think it'll turn a neat setup into one with a real Wow factor.

Not that I really care whether I have an answer, but it is a good answer to "What do you do all day?"

CardsFan 02-07-2019 07:23 PM

Just booked a month in Naples, FL for Feb. 2020. More than we wanted to spend, but what the heck.

ckelly78z 02-08-2019 06:07 AM

We just got back from a SANDALS all inclusive resort in Jamaica SSC, and have already booked our next trip....so peaceful, and natural there !

Dawg52 02-08-2019 06:41 AM

Just switched to Cricket wireless. Free phone and service at $30/mo. Will blow that dough on something else. ;)

Starsky 02-11-2019 07:46 PM

Last week, my DW told me I need to sell my beater van that is always in the shop; so today I bought a brand new 2019 Toyota 4Runner 4WD! I've never spent so much on a vehicle in my life. 'Blow that dough' indeed. It's big & beautiful and will probably be the last car I ever buy.

I'm very happy to have a shiny new whip that will take me off-road; but sad to have to sell my trusty '07 Prius and my not-so-trusty but uber-fun '03 Eurovan.

Souschef 02-11-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky (Post 2189313)
Last week, my DW told me I need to sell my beater van that is always in the shop; so today I bought a brand new 2019 Toyota 4Runner 4WD! I've never spent so much on a vehicle in my life. 'Blow that dough' indeed. It's big & beautiful and will probably be the last car I ever buy.

I'm very happy to have a shiny new whip that will take me off-road; but sad to have to sell my trusty '07 Prius and my not-so-trusty but uber-fun '03 Eurovan.

Congrats!! We feel the same way about the cars we bought last year. DW's 1998 Cadillac was a real money pit, and our grandson ended a car.
Being FI, we paid cash for both.

SpinDr 02-11-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky (Post 2189313)

Great vehicle! Pretty much bulletproof and great in harsh weather and tough road conditions. Old school with a full frame construction, so pretty stout. We have a 2014 Limited. Not a purchase though for class leading MPG[emoji16]

FlaGator 02-11-2019 09:25 PM

Indulged my wrist watch fetish over the past few weeks.

Traded in my 1985-era Submariner for a new one, put a battery in the Invicta Pro Diver Sub knock off, and picked up a titanium Citizen. Still need to get a winder for the Sub.

Spent "plenty", but less than the engagement ring for the Beautiful Princess......

corn18 02-11-2019 10:02 PM

Bought an Omega Speedmaster Pro moon watch. And a JB Champion mesh bracelet for it. Now I get to play astronaut.

Also bought our business class tickets for our safari in October. Yikes!

Wife is buying all new furniture for the downstairs of the new house. Apparently our old stuff is too traditional (AKA brown). Greige is now the in color.

Starsky 02-11-2019 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpinDr (Post 2189337)
Great vehicle! Pretty much bulletproof and great in harsh weather and tough road conditions. Old school with a full frame construction, so pretty stout. We have a 2014 Limited. Not a purchase though for class leading MPG[emoji16]

Thanks! It's my first real off-road vehicle. I've always wanted a 4Runner. I love having 4WD for the CA mountains and deserts. We have a ton of BLM land to explore out here.

The mileage is a real bummer - especially after driving a Prius for 10 years. Fortunately I don't drive nearly as much as I did before retiring - maybe 6K mi/yr. OTOH, I'm sure I'll be doing more long trips now that I have a good vehicle to get me there.