Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! - 2019 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2019-a-95591.html)

GravitySucks 02-12-2019 02:20 PM

Ran off to South Florida for 5 nights to recharge.
Spared no expense on great seafood and playing tourist.

SpinDr 02-12-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky (Post 2189369)
Thanks! It's my first real off-road vehicle. I've always wanted a 4Runner. I love having 4WD for the CA mountains and deserts. We have a ton of BLM land to explore out here.

The mileage is a real bummer - especially after driving a Prius for 10 years. Fortunately I don't drive nearly as much as I did before retiring - maybe 6K mi/yr. OTOH, I'm sure I'll be doing more long trips now that I have a good vehicle to get me there.

Like it!

RobbieB 02-12-2019 10:58 PM

Ordered up 2 pounds of fresh Maine lobster meat for Valentines day - :)

Free shipping over $100!

audreyh1 02-12-2019 11:03 PM

DH is at it again!

I thought he bought all his toys last year, but now he decided that he needed a new bike with some cool technology like a belt instead of a chain and disc brakes and some fancy German gearing system - gearbox designed by Porsche engineers. He ordered a rather expensive bike from the builder in NY.

He uses a bike almost every day when we are at home. He does a lot of riding to sites with his camera gear. His old bike is over 10 years old. I can't blame him.......

Koogie 02-15-2019 09:18 AM

Has anyone bought any expensive original artwork ? Did you feel it was a worthwhile investment ? (beyond appreciating it's beauty and aesthetics)

DW has expressed an interest in owning an original painting by one of her favorite artists. I've looked into it and it seems it would be the region of about $20K

I know nothing of art. We are not "art and wine" types (more netflix and cider) but I know this would be a lifetime highlight for her and something she would truly treasure. We can easily, easily afford it.

To be coldblooded about it, the artist is in his 80s as well... I do believe it would appreciate in value after his passing.

Souschef 02-15-2019 09:38 AM

Buy it for her! I would never buy art as an investment. We were watching Antiques Roadshow, and they had prices from 2003 and 2018. Some went up, some went down.
I fell in love with a special piece of Steuben glass. It was about $15K in 1989. I could not afford it, but had a copy made. I checked recently and the price was down to $13K!
I can afford it now, but am happy with my copy:)
I am reminded of those art auctions on cruise ships, which were mostly a swindle. The buyers were touted that it was a great investment until they tried to sell it.

Koogie 02-15-2019 09:46 AM

Very true. I would hope it would be a "store of value" more than any sort of investment I expected to ever sell (she would likely leave it to one of our nieces).

Hmm.. there are limited edition lithographs of his available. Signed, series of 100 or so.
They range more in the $4K level.

Would that be worthwhile ? Would it have the same "cachet" ? I can't ask DW.. haha

I know little about art (obviously).

Souschef 02-15-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koogie (Post 2191407)
Very true. I would hope it would be a "store of value" more than any sort of investment I expected to ever sell (she would likely leave it to one of our nieces).

Hmm.. there are limited edition lithographs of his available. Signed, series of 100 or so.
They range more in the $4K level.

Would that be worthwhile ? Would it have the same "cachet" ? I can't ask DW.. haha

I know little about art (obviously).

Here is my thought:
if you bought an original signed by the artist, it is unique. If you bought a lithograph of 1 of 100, you are competing against 99 other copies.
We bought a glicee print because we loved the subject matter. it was 1 of over 300. I never expect it to appreciate, but it looks nice on our wall.

Chuckanut 02-15-2019 11:43 AM

I agree with souschef, buy the art because it brings joy into your life. If it happens to appreciate a lot that is just a bonus. Art is not an investment, IMHO. For starters, you will need to insure it, then take steps to preserve it. That all comes out of the profits, if there are any.

FWIW, when I travel, I try to find out about a local artist whose work I enjoy but who is not famous and thus overpriced. Assuming I do, that is my one 'souvenir' splurge. Last Fall I bought a delightful glass pumpkin from a glass blower's shop. What fun it will be to bring it each year to decorate my home.

W2R 02-15-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koogie (Post 2191393)
Has anyone bought any expensive original artwork ? Did you feel it was a worthwhile investment ? (beyond appreciating it's beauty and aesthetics)

DW has expressed an interest in owning an original painting by one of her favorite artists. I've looked into it and it seems it would be the region of about $20K

I know nothing of art. We are not "art and wine" types (more netflix and cider) but I know this would be a lifetime highlight for her and something she would truly treasure. We can easily, easily afford it.

To be coldblooded about it, the artist is in his 80s as well... I do believe it would appreciate in value after his passing.

I buy art, but not as an investment because I don't think that its increase in value in the long run can be taken for granted. I buy art because it enriches my life. I buy mutual funds for investments.

Also, for me, half the fun is looking for and finding a painting or sculpture that I really like a lot, for less than $100. I have never spent more than $140 on a painting or sculpture, and it takes a lot of time, effort, searching, and frankly discernment to acquire appealing artwork at low prices. Anybody can find beautiful art at high prices.

Another factor is that if you have expensive artwork in your home, you need to go talk to your homeowner's insurance agency about it and get it specifically covered. Me? I don't need to do that. ;D

So I guess I am saying that buying art is a wonderful idea. But if it was me, I'd seek out and buy an excellent copy of one of the artist's paintings, not an original.

Winemaker 02-15-2019 03:42 PM

My late MIL was an accomplished oil painter and we have several of her works around the house, and I consider them priceless. I also collected signed Bev Doolittle lithograghs before she retired, and those, too, are hanging around the house. At one time some of them we pretty pricey on the secondary market, but I enjoy the subject manner more than I would enjoy selling them. But as the saying goes, everything is for sale except the wife and kids......but tell me again, what did you want for the wife??:)

When DW and I were shopping for the couch a few threads above, the designer tried to sell us a Oriental rug for $8,000 and some dumb painting that "had the right colors as the rug" for $3,000.

jollystomper 02-15-2019 04:04 PM

We decided to take a trip to the west coast during DW's teaching spring break next month to visit some friends from college we have not seem face to face for almost 15 years. We are bringing one of our sons. I booked the flight earlier this week; today I thought what the heck, DW and this son have never flown in first class, now is as good a time as any. So I upgraded our flight seats to first class - certainly not a frugal act, given the cost :laugh:. They will enjoy 5 hours each way on the plane. I will keep it a secret until they get their boarding passes at the airport.

Bigdawg 02-15-2019 04:39 PM

DW and I took a break from the MD winter and spent 5 nights on St John. Flew direct from Dulles to St Thomas. Ferry across to St John. Rented a jeep and an AirB&B. Great trip. Sprung for economy plus for the flight back. A shout out to "Extra Virgin". Had literally a top 5 lifetime meal there. Great service too. Right in Cruz Bay on St John if you get down there. Probably do St John again next year but also want to see St Croix. I sleep better in U.S. territories for some reason. Returned to write a 46K check to my home builder. Should move in on or before 15 April.

CardsFan 02-15-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jollystomper (Post 2191618)
We decided to take a trip to the west coast during DW's teaching spring break next month to visit some friends from college we have not seem face to face for almost 15 years. We are bringing one of our sons. I booked the flight earlier this week; today I thought what the heck, DW and this son have never flown in first class, now is as good a time as any. So I upgraded our flight seats to first class - certainly not a frugal act, given the cost :laugh:. They will enjoy 5 hours each way on the plane. I will keep it a secret until they get their boarding passes at the airport.

That is a neat surprise. But be prepared for the question: You spent HOW MUCH?;D

In all honesty, I am still spending down frequent flyer miles (down to about 125,000). Once in a while I find the difference between coach and FC to be such a deal, I just tell DW, "that's all they had".

CardsFan 02-15-2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdawg (Post 2191636)
DW and I took a break from the MD winter and spent 5 nights on St John. Flew direct from Dulles to St Thomas. Ferry across to St John. Rented a jeep and an AirB&B. Great trip. Sprung for economy plus for the flight back. A shout out to "Extra Virgin". Had literally a top 5 lifetime meal there. Great service too. Right in Cruz Bay on St John if you get down there. Probably do St John again next year but also want to see St Croix. I sleep better in U.S. territories for some reason. Returned to write a 46K check to my home builder. Should move in on or before 15 April.

About 30 years ago DW and I went to St. Croix. Beautiful island. We stayed at the Buccaneer, got a great rate. Everytime we went off property, when we told folks where we were staying, they said something like "oh my. we could not afford that". The price difference was only about $30-40/night. (just checked, current price is over $400/night)

Went to Buck Island for the underwater National park. FANTASTIC.

We leave next week for the DR. All inclusive. Never been there, but have liked the ones we stayed at in Jamaica.

BLOW That Dough!

Clone 02-15-2019 07:29 PM

I try to support a number of the local artists. A bunch of them work at one of the better restaurants in town.

googily 02-18-2019 11:01 PM

Today's installment is that, after buying train tickets last week for a trip next month, I just upgraded them to Acela first class, mainly for the heaven of reserving "single" seats both ways, an important feature on a six-hour ride.

ExFlyBoy5 02-19-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Looking at some of the food pics on Google, it looks pretty darn tasty.

MBAustin 02-19-2019 04:03 PM

On the art question, if the artist paints in oil, a lithograph won't have the texture and depth you often get from an oil painting. DFIL loves original art and his apartment could be an art gallery. We have a number of original oils and watercolors in various price ranges ($100 up to $5,000) as well as a lot of prints - we like art on our walls. If she really likes the artist and you want to make her really happy, just do it (although do heed the insurance warning from W2R above).

Our "blow that dough" treat for the past 18 months has been to get a large bouquet of fresh flowers every month from a European-style florist near us. DH likes them as much or more as I do, so although it started out as a birthday gift for me, we've kept it up.

explanade 02-19-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 (Post 2193673)

Google Maps says it's a Mediterranean restaurant?

Or maybe it's just Italian?

What's popular in the Caribbean? Do they have their own style of cuisine or is it mostly tailored for American tastes?

MichaelB 02-19-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2193770)
What's popular in the Caribbean? Do they have their own style of cuisine or is it mostly tailored for American tastes?

Both. The Caribbean has a very wide range of cuisines which reflect the many roots of their ethnic heritage and there are many differences among the islands.

Scuba 02-22-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

I love the USVI, can’t wait to go back again!

Scuba 02-22-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 (Post 2193673)

Yes, of all the USVI, we think St. Croix has the best food. Savant and Rowdy Joe’s were our two favorite places.

GalaxyBoy 02-22-2019 12:01 PM

Our spending in my first two years of ER has been about 50% of what FireCalc says is our SWR at a 95% confidence level over 30 years, so DW and I need to learn to "blow that dough!"

I got it into my head to buy a pump for homebrewing as lifting 5 gal buckets of near-boiling water up a stepladder to dump into a cooler teetering on a couple of milk crates on a folding table is getting old. As I was perusing web sites for the cheapest pumps available, I looked at our bank balances and decided to go for the best. And why not add tubing with quick-connects and get rid of the hose barbs? And add thermometers for all three vessels I use. And a couple of sight glasses. And a few other accessories which I won't try to explain here.

It felt good. I'm spending my day installing all this stuff. Can't wait for the weather to break so I can brew outside soon and try this out.

Next up: plan a great vacation for this year.

Slow But Steady 02-22-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corn18 (Post 2189348)
Bought an Omega Speedmaster Pro moon watch. And a JB Champion mesh bracelet for it. Now I get to play astronaut.

I'm not into watches as much as I used to be, but I'd really like an older Omega Constellation with the rice-style bracelet.

levindb 02-23-2019 01:53 PM

My DW and and I are savers, but last year took a World Cruise on Regent Seven Seas. This is an all inclusive trip, meaning no additional cost for alcohol, for laundry, medical, shore excursions, wi-fi, gratuities, etc. We went to 30 different countries, 62 different ports and learned what places we would want to visit in the future. It took 137 days to complete the cruise, so it is like 10 two week vacations....but you only have to unpack once!

Think about it...seriously. Expensive on the front end ($150K), but well worth it when it was done.

Souschef 02-23-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by levindb (Post 2196079)
My DW and and I are savers, but last year took a World Cruise on Regent Seven Seas. This is an all inclusive trip, meaning no additional cost for alcohol, for laundry, medical, shore excursions, wi-fi, gratuities, etc. We went to 30 different countries, 62 different ports and learned what places we would want to visit in the future. It took 137 days to complete the cruise, so it is like 10 two week vacations....but you only have to unpack once!

Think about it...seriously. Expensive on the front end ($150K), but well worth it when it was done.

I bet you were not in an inside cabin;D

audreyh1 02-23-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Souschef (Post 2196090)
I bet you were not in an inside cabin;D

I do not think that ship has inside cabins. They are all suites with balconies. Although some of them are pretty darn small.

ExFlyBoy5 02-23-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Talk about needing a vacation *after* your vacation...wow!

captain3d 02-25-2019 04:43 AM

Bruichladdich black art 4.1

Nick12 02-25-2019 05:18 AM

Quote:

When families spend several thousand dollars on a few weeks vacation at Walt Disney World, this cruise of a lifetime is a better deal.

Souschef 02-25-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain3d (Post 2196865)
Bruichladdich black art 4.1

You are a better man than I am. I cannot believe how the prices of single malt have gone up!

captain3d 02-25-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Souschef (Post 2196965)
You are a better man than I am. I cannot believe how the prices of single malt have gone up!

True. I bought the 4.1 and a Springbank 20 single cask Fresh Sherry at the same store for $600 out the door. Crazy expensive but a ‘good deal’ at today’s prices.

RunningBum 03-06-2019 05:14 PM

IKON ski passes for next year for my son and I. We'll take a trip out west next winter at one of the participating resorts, and buying now allows for skiing this spring at a nearby ski resort. I'll probably make a couple trips next year.

New skis for me too. Been a few years. They say skis last about 100 days (of skiing). I probably have 250-300 or more on mine, though a lot of 2 hour days.

Music Lover 03-08-2019 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After spending a month in Florida and using a commercial gym for the first time in decades, today I went out and bought 250 pounds of rubber coated weight plates with hand grips as an upgrade to my regular steel weights:

Attachment 30979

Walt34 03-08-2019 02:34 PM

Offf! That makes me tired just thinking about getting them into the house.:)

corn18 03-09-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Music Lover (Post 2202885)
After spending a month in Florida and using a commercial gym for the first time in decades, today I went out and bought 250 pounds of rubber coated weight plates with hand grips as an upgrade to my regular steel weights:

Attachment 30979

Those look fantastic. I still have the solid plates and they clank a lot. And without handles they get cussed at quite a bit.

Music Lover 03-09-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corn18 (Post 2203443)
Those look fantastic. I still have the solid plates and they clank a lot. And without handles they get cussed at quite a bit.

I love them...and the price was just 15% more than regular steel plates ($1.15 per pound rather than $1). Plus I'll get back some money by selling the steel plates privately. So, I guess technically it doesn't really fall under "blow that dough!!" standards. :laugh:

kimcdougc 03-10-2019 06:17 PM

Blow that dough for 2019 so far---

Bought a 2019 Ford F250 with all the bells and whistles. Will be upgrading our RV sometime this year. Got the new truck to pull it. Just booked a 13 day cruise leaving out of New York going to Europe. 2 days in New York City first, cruise and then a couple of days after the cruise in Amsterdam. So far all total for both is $58,000 spend that dough!

Didn't do any travel last year so making up for it in 2019.

Planning a trip with the RV out East for September and October.

Souschef 03-10-2019 07:40 PM

Well,

This is sort of a cross between unblow the dough and where are you traveling.:)
We got a brochure for a cruise of the San Juan Islands out of Seattle. The price for an 8 day cruise for the 2 of us was $10K plus airfare.
We have been interested is going to the San Juan Islands for some time,but this was a bit much.
Also, I was looking to fly a P-40 next month for $2200, but by not doing that, we can pay for a $200 a night hotel in Friday Harbor for a week and have money left over for meals. The best part would I would be spending it with my wife!
We have not made definite plans, but I do stealth planning;D I have the ferry schedule, the airline schedule, and a price for an aerial tour of the islands. I also have an inquiry to the ferry company for any hotel packages they have.
I figure that we will be way ahead of the cruise cost and spend a week on San Juan Island.

jollystomper 03-10-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardsFan (Post 2191647)
That is a neat surprise. But be prepared for the question: You spent HOW MUCH?;D

In all honesty, I am still spending down frequent flyer miles (down to about 125,000). Once in a while I find the difference between coach and FC to be such a deal, I just tell DW, "that's all they had".

We are back from the trip - it was a great surprise to them. They enjoyed it a lot. DW did not balk when she found out the price - she figures I know what I am doing ;D. The main reason son enjoyed it was that he got to see Jerry Rice in first class.

footenote 03-10-2019 08:13 PM

Major (LOL) expenses planned for 2019

Replace 20 yo kitchen floor: ~2k
First new bicycle in decades: ~750
(including stand, helmet and (maybe) car rack)

Helen 03-10-2019 08:45 PM

We just finished booking a trip to Europe. It includes two flights, two cruises, 2.5 months in Italy, France, Switzerland, Austria and Germany, then four nights in NYC for some Broadway shows before flying back to the west coast. We will indulge in VRBOs, Hotels, car rentals, trains, ubers, food, beer and wine and a few gifts for friends and family - ouch!!!

I keep reminding myself that this is why we scrimped and saved during our working years. It is really weird to be spending like this after living so frugally for so long.

Cut-Throat 03-10-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen (Post 2203946)
We just finished booking a trip to Europe. It includes two flights, two cruises, 2.5 months in Italy, France, Switzerland, Austria and Germany, then four nights in NYC for some Broadway shows before flying back to the west coast. We will indulge in VRBOs, Hotels, car rentals, trains, ubers, food, beer and wine and a few gifts for friends and family - ouch!!!

I keep reminding myself that this is why we scrimped and saved during our working years. It is really weird to be spending like this after living so frugally for so long.

Wow! That's a lot of moving around and Packing and Unpacking for 2-3 months! --- We are just finishing 3 months in Hawaii with 2 different islands, and only 2 condos, and 2 car rentals and that was quite a bit of scheduling and effort for us.

NW-Bound 03-11-2019 12:41 AM

Here's the ultimate "Dough Blowing", or rather "Dough Burning" act that I just read about.

In 1994, Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty burned 1 million pounds in cash in a boathouse on the Scottish island of Jura. It was described as art, and recorded on film. It took more than 1 hour to burn all that money in 50-pound notes, twenty thousands of them.

The Cosmic Avenger 03-11-2019 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2203971)
Here's the ultimate "Dough Blowing", or rather "Dough Burning" act that I just read about.

In 1994, Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty burned 1 million pounds in cash in a boathouse on the Scottish island of Jura. It was described as art, and recorded on film. It took more than 1 hour to burn all that money in 50-pound notes, twenty thousands of them.

Congratulations, you've just traumatized a good portion of ER readers! :o

VanWinkle 03-11-2019 05:57 AM

Quote:

That's not art, that's insanity!!! You can't fix stupid.

ls99 03-11-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

They had money to burn.

NW-Bound 03-11-2019 09:03 AM

I learned of this act in a book I am reading, in a chapter about money.

I reported about this book here: https://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post2203970

There's an interesting story behind this literal "cash burning", and anyone can check this out if interested. The Wikipedia has a good article for a summary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_Foun...a_Million_Quid.

kgtest 03-11-2019 09:09 AM

I don't think I could burn a $1 bill let alone 1mil. I get sad when one tears on me lol and I've taped them back together before. Being in the accumulation stage, we don't have huge plans to blow dough. A few trips planned but nothing international, with 2 little kids too hard.

Koolau 03-11-2019 02:39 PM

Considering, just considering, upgrading from cattle car to cattle-car plus (or even Bus. class) on our annual flight to the midwest. Probably won't actually pull the trigger on this, but at least we talk about it more each time we go. YMMV

audreyh1 03-11-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Souschef (Post 2203929)
Well,

This is sort of a cross between unblow the dough and where are you traveling.:)
We got a brochure for a cruise of the San Juan Islands out of Seattle. The price for an 8 day cruise for the 2 of us was $10K plus airfare.
We have been interested is going to the San Juan Islands for some time,but this was a bit much.
Also, I was looking to fly a P-40 next month for $2200, but by not doing that, we can pay for a $200 a night hotel in Friday Harbor for a week and have money left over for meals. The best part would I would be spending it with my wife!
We have not made definite plans, but I do stealth planning;D I have the ferry schedule, the airline schedule, and a price for an aerial tour of the islands. I also have an inquiry to the ferry company for any hotel packages they have.
I figure that we will be way ahead of the cruise cost and spend a week on San Juan Island.

Yeah no need for a cruise when you can island hop by ferry easily.

From Friday Harbor there is a oyster farm on the way to Roche harbor, Wescott Bay Seafood Company, that was serving grilled oysters and other goodies last year. See if they are open. I think the Friday Harbor shuttle even went there.

We blew that dough because we went for a fancy penthouse overlooking Friday harbor. We ate a lot of seafood at the penthouse because it was so fresh and minimal prep required.

kgtest 03-15-2019 07:14 PM

was torn between putting this in the TSLA thread, or the 'what was your last AMZN order' thread...

I will take delivery on a Roadster for my son next week, he keeps bugging me for a red sports car and his bday is next month...so I splurged... blow that dough! ;)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MZJV172

audreyh1 03-15-2019 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgtest (Post 2206648)
was torn between putting this in the TSLA thread, or the 'what was your last AMZN order' thread...

I will take delivery on a Roadster for my son next week, he keeps bugging me for a red sports car and his bday is next month...so I splurged... blow that dough! ;)

A whole $7.49! Hmmmm - not sure that qualifies for this thread.

W2R 03-16-2019 12:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2206739)
A whole $7.49! Hmmmm - not sure that qualifies for this thread.

Want to blow a little more dough than that, kgtest? This might be good, depending on his age. >:D

https://www.amazon.com/Rollplay-Pors...gateway&sr=8-4

I think I would have died of happiness if I had been given something like this as a kid. ;D

MarieIG 03-16-2019 02:57 AM

Quote:

:laugh:

I remember when my sons were little and they loved the "Match Box" cars. Good times.

Dtail 03-16-2019 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2206743)
Want to blow a little more dough than that, kgtest? This might be good, depending on his age. >:D

https://www.amazon.com/Rollplay-Pors...gateway&sr=8-4

I think I would have died of happiness if I had been given something like this as a kid. ;D

My ex's parents got some version of the attachment for my DS when he was already obsessed with cars. He rode that car non stop. Memory of good times....

TDub 03-16-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

She’s a beaut! ;)

braumeister 03-16-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Nice!
When I announced my early retirement, DW bought me a Ferrari.

Walt34 03-16-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Before doing things like that bear in mind that these are the people who will be choosing your nursing home...:laugh:

euro 03-16-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanWinkle (Post 2203997)
That's not art, that's insanity!!! You can't fix stupid.

Also, in the US, as well as the UK it is a criminal offence to willfully destroy bank notes.... not sure I'd be distributing that movie extensively. :coolsmiley:

NW-Bound 03-16-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt34 (Post 2207060)
Before doing things like that bear in mind that these are the people who will be choosing your nursing home...:laugh:

kgtest is still young, and I think his kid will be happy to have the toy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by euro (Post 2207073)
Also, in the US, as well as the UK it is a criminal offence to willfully destroy bank notes.... not sure I'd be distributing that movie extensively. :coolsmiley:

This "dough burning" happened back in 1994, when one million British pound was worth more. The cash burners appeared on TV talk shows to talk about it. Nothing happened to them.

NW-Bound 03-16-2019 04:39 PM

In 1994, a British pound was worth about US$1.5, and with inflation a US$1 then was worth $1.71 now.

So, they were burning $2.5 million worth in today's dollars.

FlaGator 03-28-2019 07:29 PM

Dropped $6K to take the kids out west for Spring Break. Last chance before the oldest goes to college in a few months. Hit a 7000' mountain pass while on a day trip and they saw snow for the first time :)

kevdude 03-28-2019 08:01 PM

Agreed to spend ~$8k for son (Jr in high school) to attend a 7-week debate camp at Univ of Mich this summer. Stupid kids...

Bought a 2019 BMW X5. Stupid me...

explanade 04-10-2019 10:00 PM

Ordered a Mavic 2 Pro drone package for an upcoming trip.

audreyh1 04-10-2019 10:23 PM

I upgraded my pellet smoker/grill. Figured I deserved a “pro” version with several improvements.

RobbieB 04-10-2019 11:30 PM

I bought this kick scooter and this motor kit.

Scooter arrived, motor on the way!

Chuckanut 04-11-2019 12:12 AM

Blow that Dough! - 2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB

Hey! You must be to young to be retired! [emoji16]

Keep that scooter off my sidewalk!

GravitySucks 04-11-2019 03:25 PM

Won the NCAA pool so I'm splurging on a pizza and a round of drinks for my trivia team tonight. Though buying these folks a drink could be considered an investment as they're sure to over reciprocate.
Also splurging on Uber home. But thats not really a want but a need.

KB 04-11-2019 05:10 PM

I replaced my iPad mini recently and am considering an Apple watch. I also replaced my dining table and chairs with a custom ordered Amish oak table and chairs. I also bought a matching coffee table from the same company.

TDub 04-12-2019 03:46 PM

This thread is not nearly as active as I would like...you know I live vicariously through you guys, right?
[emoji4][emoji6]

audreyh1 04-12-2019 03:50 PM

I thought that I posted about buying yet another smoker (bigger, better), but I don't see the post. It must have been on the restaurant thread.

Sometimes, if it's a new thing/hobby for me, I'll get an entry level version of something to see if I am really going to use it and if it gives good results. If I really like it, I'll buy the full function version. It's not as cost effective spending wise, but it's really hard to tell sometimes if you are going to get into something enough to justify the larger expense.

Walt34 04-12-2019 04:02 PM

A Milwaukee 18-volt lithium-ion brushless cordless Surge impact and hammer drill combo (2 tool) w(2) 5 Ah batteries plus an extra free 5 Ah battery. It appears I got in just under the wire, the free battery is no longer listed!:dance:

Playing around with these tools, and seeing some of the youtube videos, they are owed respect. They have some serious torque and one could do serious damage to one's wrist by being careless with them. They are not the battery powered tools of yesteryear.

dtbach 04-12-2019 04:16 PM

Booked a 2 week vacation in Hawaii for the family of 4. Budgeting $14K for it. Should be fun!!

aja8888 04-12-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt34 (Post 2221426)

Playing around with these tools, and seeing some of the youtube videos, they are owed respect. They have some serious torque and one could do serious damage to one's wrist by being careless with them. They are not the battery powered tools of yesteryear.

I have to agree, Walt. The more I use these high powered battery driven tools, the less I need my 4 HP air compressor. They are so handy, compact and I don't need to drag around an air hose. :coolsmiley:

W2R 04-12-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2221414)
I thought that I posted about buying yet another smoker (bigger, better), but I don't see the post. It must have been on the restaurant thread.

There were several posts by different people on the "Blow That Dough! - 2018" thread this week, that belonged on this thread instead. Maybe it was one of those? Either way, one of the mods or admins could move those posts and close that thread. I gave up my super-duper-admin powers so I can't do that stuff any more.

braumeister 04-12-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2221475)
There were several posts by different people on the "Blow That Dough! - 2018" thread this week, that belonged on this thread instead. Maybe it was one of those? Either way, one of the mods or admins could move those posts and close that thread. I gave up my super-duper-admin powers so I can't do that stuff any more.

Done.
Thanks, W2R!

tulak 04-13-2019 12:09 AM

Three Epic passes. Hopefully it snows a lot next year.

ShokWaveRider 04-13-2019 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2220365)

I bought this scooter, I kick it before I get on it. :)

https://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/like-150i-abs/

ShokWaveRider 04-13-2019 06:19 AM

I paid my Taxes :(

Having 2 new windows installed.....

Each expense was identical, so a double whammy!

RunningBum 04-13-2019 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tulak (Post 2221592)
Three Epic passes. Hopefully it snows a lot next year.

I got IKON passes for my son and I. So I guess I won't see you on the slopes next year! Already used it 3 days, for spring season in WV.

I also got new skis, Blizzard Bonafides.

Breedlove 04-13-2019 06:56 AM

Blow that dough …..Oh last month new driveway . The old one got destroyed by the rain we had in Texas last winter . Also had French drains put in around our barn 12 loads of river rock 14 yards each after all done 10,500 . Now yesterday bought 40 pieces of grass 40.00 . Also looking at getting our barniminium covered in limestone veneer estimate 7500.00 Wife has just taken the checkbook . All is ended for a year.

Ronstar 04-13-2019 08:08 AM

Put new brakes on the Corvette.

Breedlove 04-13-2019 08:15 AM

If you put the new brakes on yourself , you saved a boatload of money . I was looking at buying an old Corvette they wanted 1200. for new Brakes . …..Gott to stop !

Willers 04-13-2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningBum (Post 2221646)
I got IKON passes for my son and I. So I guess I won't see you on the slopes next year! Already used it 3 days, for spring season in WV.

I also got new skis, Blizzard Bonafides.

Also bought 2 IKONs (we live in an IKON town). Enjoy the Bonafides. They are really fun.

Soon they will open up sales of first tracks tickets (early access). We're way under budget so we're splurging on those too for the first time. Powder days!

explanade 04-13-2019 10:19 AM

Interesting didn't know there were global ski passes.

pacergal 04-13-2019 10:23 AM

$100 for a prime rib roast, cooked to perfection on the traeger for dinner with the kids today. Yum!

unclemick 04-13-2019 10:43 AM

Pulled the 8 12 volt lead acids out of the Polaris EV and put in 4 expensive Lithium batteries and rigged up a roof solar panel for DW to tool around The Farm.

heh heh heh - hobby time - it's finally spring. :coolsmiley:

RunningBum 04-13-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willers (Post 2221719)
Also bought 2 IKONs (we live in an IKON town). Enjoy the Bonafides. They are really fun.

Soon they will open up sales of first tracks tickets (early access). We're way under budget so we're splurging on those too for the first time. Powder days!

Nice! I'd do that but I have a tough enough time getting anyone I ski with out at 9. I probably won't be out west enough days to make it worthwhile anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2221802)

Yep, Vail Resort properties have one (Epic) and some other resorts have banded together for a competitor (IKON). There are various flavors, but many are limited in # of days at certain resorts, especially the high end ones like Vail or Aspen. The payback depends on where you go but usually a week takes care of it. You just have to pay and commit well in advance to ski at a certain set, but you can decide exactly where last minute, subject of course to lodging.

And there are some resorts that don't participate at all, and they can be enjoyable for a less crowded experience.

explanade 04-13-2019 11:39 AM

That one for over $900, you'd have to travel to several of them.

I thought season passes for large resorts were in the range of $300-400 but they must be more.

Nature Lover 04-13-2019 12:08 PM

After 30+ years....it's time for a new bed. Planning to purchase a tempur-pedic with an adjustable base. :)

FIREd 04-13-2019 12:38 PM

Dropped 5,000 euros as a downpayment on some fancy hardwood flooring.

explanade 04-13-2019 12:40 PM

Dang, just the down payment?

W2R 04-13-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nature Lover (Post 2221846)
After 30+ years....it's time for a new bed. Planning to purchase a tempur-pedic with an adjustable base. :)

Oh! That sounds so nice. When you decide on one and buy it, I'd love to know all about it and what you think of it, especially the adjustable base. I'm not ready for a new mattress quite yet but have had mine 17+ years so probably I will be soon. So, I am interested in your choices because I am trying to figure out what would be best. In my case I would not be looking for "cheap" as much as for "wonderfully comfortable", so Temper-Pedic is not out of the question unless it gets too hot or is less than perfect for some other reason. The adjustable base sounds extremely interesting since I am growing older (who knew this would ever happen? :laugh: ). Anyway being able to tilt the bed might help with the aches and pains of aging or whatever, especially if the setup is high enough to be easy on the knees when getting in and out of bed.

W2R 04-13-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIREd (Post 2221864)
Dropped 5,000 euros as a downpayment on some fancy hardwood flooring.

What kind of wood? I'll bet it is going to be beautiful, at that price for a very small condo like yours.

Willers 04-13-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2221802)

We’ve loved our IKON so far. We skied in WY and NM on it and are considering Japan next year. Resorts in Chile, New Zealand, Canada are also included. It is a pretty amazing deal compared to what we’ve paid in the past just our mountain’s season pass.

robnplunder 04-13-2019 02:57 PM

$3500 for painting the house exterior. Money very well spent.

FIREd 04-13-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2221883)
What kind of wood? I'll bet it is going to be beautiful, at that price for a very small condo like yours.

It is a whitewashed top-quality European oak wood. I am putting it everywhere, except in the bathroom. Because my place is so small, I can afford to splurge.;D

Ronstar 04-13-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breedlove (Post 2221707)
If you put the new brakes on yourself , you saved a boatload of money . I was looking at buying an old Corvette they wanted 1200. for new Brakes . …..Gott to stop !

Unfortunately I didn't put them on myself. So it qualifies for a "Blow that dough" expense. The guy at the repair shop said I need new brakes so that I can "drive the car like it's meant to be driven"