Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! - 2019 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2019-a-95591.html)

RobbieB 05-29-2019 07:40 PM

Got my painter working again, 3 grand for the exterior house!

capjak 05-29-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2243631)
The garage looks good.

Now, the boat needs to be upsized to match.

Blow more dough!

A boat can make you a Millionaire...........................

If you're a Billionaire...;D

explanade 05-29-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb4uski (Post 2243515)
My latest Blow that Dough!.... a iRobot Braava 240 robot mop. Been playing with it this afternoon. Dry swept the master bedroom while I took a nap... our cleaning lady had mopped that room just Monday and it looked clean... but the dry pad (works like a Swiffer) picked up an impressive amount of dirt and dust and furballs... it also picked up a pin that DW had left behind so at least my bare foot didn't pick it up! In fairness to our cleaning lady this little robot gets under the bed and bureaus and nightstands better than she does so that may be why it picked up so much.

Now it is wet mopping the kitchen and seems to be doing a nice job.

Pretty impressive little robot for $150.

How effective is it in more cluttered rooms? Like around tables and other furniture, it can't get close enough so it leaves a margin around the footprint of chairs and tables like it does around walls?

Can it get right up to the edge of the walls?

How much are the consumables?

As it happens, the CEO was on CNBC this morning, a former NASA engineer. They introduced a new product, a pair of robots, one does wet and one does dry and they use the same maps to know which part of the room the other has already gone over.

He said 25% of the vacuum market is now robot vacuums.

corn18 05-30-2019 06:54 AM

We blew $1,000 on an i7+ Roomba. Love it. The mapping and auto empty features are what make it worth the money.

skipro33 05-30-2019 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corn18 (Post 2243756)
We blew $1,000 on an i7+ Roomba. Love it. The mapping and auto empty features are what make it worth the money.

Does the i7 Roomba require Alexa or is it just optional? Amazon indicates it required.

https://www.amazon.com/iRobot-Roomba...gateway&sr=8-6

Also, does it require a smart phone interface?
I do not want an Alexa, I'm paranoid of a hot mic in the house on 24/7, and I do not have a smart phone, only a simple cell phone to make calls and texts. No data plan for apps and such.

neihn 05-30-2019 08:36 AM

We just booked flight to Vietnam in August and spend one month over there - Planning phase is starting now, we plan to visit a few places that my DW had never been there before.
It is not as expensive as the April Europe trip. We will see.

corn18 06-07-2019 02:47 PM

Got a watch winder. This is a blow that dough item for many blew that dough items.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._UL1000_.jpg

elbowwilham 06-08-2019 05:47 PM

Powerbeats Pro true wireless running headphones. Also they discontinued my favorite running shoe, so I bought 4 pairs of them on sale. Should last me the next 5 years.

flintnational 06-09-2019 10:02 AM

Business class fare sale

La Compagnie airlines is having a business class fare sale. Apparently they are a business class only airline. The seats lay flat. Newark to Paris is the sale route. The round trip fare is $1,000. A quick check showed the sale fares were good beginning Sept/2019 and ending April/2020. At that price, it may not even qualify for "Blow that dough".

I looked at the fares on Google flights and have not tried the linked airline site.

K9Rulez 06-09-2019 02:20 PM

Waiting at airport to fly to Prague followed by Danube River Cruise for our 35th anniversary. When we get back, I have 6 more days of w*rk before retirement!!

The Cosmic Avenger 06-09-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K9Rulez (Post 2249189)
Waiting at airport to fly to Prague followed by Danube River Cruise for our 35th anniversary. When we get back, I have 6 more days of w*rk before retirement!!

Wow, I don't know which to congratulate you on first! :laugh:

RockyMtn 06-10-2019 12:58 PM

two tickets to the Eagles in Vegas this October. $1300 total. Can't take it with you!

Dtail 06-10-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyMtn (Post 2249763)
two tickets to the Eagles in Vegas this October. $1300 total. Can't take it with you!

+1
Saw the Eagles for ~1200 in NYC a few years back. Too bad Glenn Frey is not there now.
Tremendous concert. They played all their hits.

explanade 06-10-2019 07:08 PM

$600 a ticket?

Are those like prime seats or something?

RobbieB 06-10-2019 07:12 PM

Check out Rolling Stones tickets - :)

retiresumtime 06-10-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Me TOO !!!!!! It’s the hotel California tour.....I think we are seeing the first show sept 27 th ? Tickets were pricy..... heck not sure what I paid in 78’ to see them in Houston I had great seats lower section near Joe Walsh side.

robnplunder 06-10-2019 11:18 PM

$300 for NetGear's Orbi WIFI system to improve internet performance for all my WIFI devices .... Money well spent.

carney0121 06-11-2019 03:56 AM

Decided I wanted to get away for a bit and booked 4 trips - one per month from July - October. Deciding on a destination for November before booking number 5. Splurged on a new Rolex and an Omega a few months ago too. Oh, and paying for my wedding in 4 months as well. Good year for blowing dough!

Dtail 06-11-2019 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2250014)
$600 a ticket?

IIRC, similar to Prime seats. We could see their faces clearly. This was back in the day of more spending for us. Not willing to do more than 200 a ticket in retirement mode.

RockyMtn 06-11-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2250014)
$600 a ticket?

About mid level tickets. Top ticket is about $1000 with taxes and Ticketmaster fees. Cheapest is like $350.00.

RobbieB 06-11-2019 07:36 PM

Took advantage of the free shipping for fathers day sale and got a couple pounds of fresh Maine lobster claw meat coming for lobster rolls - :)

skipro33 06-11-2019 08:16 PM

I have an opportunity to attend all the NBA Finals games. My son works for the Golden State Warriors and they fire up the jet for the trips to Toronto for employees. If not full, family is allowed to accompany. We have to fly back, no hotel overnight, but hey! I'm retired and can make up the sleep time later. Got back from Toronto this morning and game 6 tomorrow.

Here's a photo of Game 4 in Oakland with my son, his son/my grandson on his knee, and my other son's son/my grandson on my right. He gets 2 free tickets and got extras from other employees who weren't gonna go to the game.

I know it's technically not blowing the dough, freeloading off The Boy, but I feel rich anyways. Ha!

https://scontent.fsac1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...fe&oe=5D8C4615

Oh what the heck, one more photo!
https://scontent.fsac1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...d9&oe=5D7F4A77

And one or two from Toronto;
https://scontent.fsac1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...0c&oe=5D958E95

Evidently this is the bomb in Canada; brown gravy and cheese curd on top of french fries?! The Raptors were great hosts and treated us to this stuff.
https://scontent.fsac1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...e5&oe=5D8FC8B3

gcgang 06-12-2019 05:09 AM

I'm accompanying my daughter from Maui to Waco to attend Baylor college Orientation, which includes parents. She's staying a few days more for a "Line Camp(?)", and my plan was to go to Vegas for a couple days, and then surprise meet up with her at LAX for the final leg home.

But I got an invite from MGM for comp tickets/room to attend Khalid (a singer). She's not huge on him, but is excited to go to Vegas for a couple days. I never would have gone thru the bother and cost of changing air tickets in my former, nonFIRE life, but hey, blow that dough and make some memories! It feels really good to spend doing special things with the special people in your life.

HFWR 06-12-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyMtn (Post 2250269)
About mid level tickets. Top ticket is about $1000 with taxes and Ticketmaster fees. Cheapest is like $350.00.

You misspelled “Ticketbastard”...

W2R 06-12-2019 09:47 AM

Nice photos, Skipro! :)

cyber888 06-13-2019 05:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 31819. I splurged on a special Spine stretching Medicine chair .. cured my lower back pain completely and straightened my spine to original position. DW says I now have the best posture. Also cured carpal tunnel with the heated hand compression.

Dtail 06-13-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyber888 (Post 2251384)
Attachment 31819. I splurged on a special Spine stretching Medicine chair .. cured my lower back pain completely and straightened my spine to original position. DW says I now have the best posture. Also cured carpal tunnel with the heated hand compression.

Interesting.
Cost?

RunningBum 06-13-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dtail (Post 2251436)
Interesting.
Cost?

Looks like it might be this:
https://smile.amazon.com/OOTORI-3-Ro...7KPSXY23/?th=1
$1100, if so.

Dtail 06-13-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningBum (Post 2251442)
Looks like it might be this:
https://smile.amazon.com/OOTORI-3-Ro...7KPSXY23/?th=1
$1100, if so.

Thanks. Looks and sounds about right.

SumDay 06-13-2019 07:47 AM

Quote:

It is worth every penny. Deacon Frey and Vince Gill are icing on an already delicious cake.

I saw them twice last year, and hope they have some US dates in 2020 and I'll travel wherever I need to to see them. Never know when it will be the last time.

Breedlove 06-13-2019 08:04 AM

Concerts are getting out of sight , a friend of ours got VIP tickets with back stage to see Andre Rieu in Holland 1200.00 each . another friend went to Le Mans a few weeks ago
1800.00 each . We don't spend that kind of money . Not on the Eagles ...Maybe Andre Rieu. If it included a tour of his castle !

explanade 06-13-2019 10:03 AM

I still like the music from decades ago but have no interest in seeing those acts in concert any more.

They're way past their primes.

GravitySucks 06-13-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breedlove (Post 2251455)
Concerts are getting out of sight , a friend of ours got VIP tickets with back stage to see Andre Rieu in Holland 1200.00 each . another friend went to Le Mans a few weeks ago
1800.00 each . We don't spend that kind of money . Not on the Eagles ...Maybe Andre Rieu. If it included a tour of his castle !

I'm giving up on seeing the big name bands of old. Way too much$$ for past prime acts.
See a lot of low cost musicians that are just as good, but haven't had their lucky break or are in an unpopular genre.

cyber888 06-13-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dtail (Post 2251436)
Interesting.
Cost?

HI Dtail.

I spent about $4,000. Right now, it is $4,300 but you can get a discount if you ask. The specialty of this chair is posture correction and stretching your spine.
Now, there are many 'massage chairs', and almost all of them are 'Made in China'. This is 'Made in Japan'. So, Made in China chairs are around $2000-$5000 and have 1 year warranties. This Chair comes with a 5 Year In-Home Warranty .. so they will come to your house to repair it, if it has a problem. The Chinese Chairs have 1 year warranty.

And it is not primarily a massage Chair, but Spine/Posture correction .. but it has excellent massage functions too for the shoulder, neck, back, lower back, legs, arms and hands .. it has heat for hands and feet to improve circulation. It will give you the best massage as it covers a lot of your back and shoulder and legs. And it will also rotate your hips. It has hip massage.

I've tried the top end massage/stretching chairs which cost like $8,000-$10,000, but this is so far the right fit for DW and myself. This chair is ok for people 5.0 feet - 6.0 feet tall in height. My DW is only 5 feet, and I'm 5'8" so it works. If you are huge and taller than 6'1' .. you may want to try the Inada Sogno. Here are some links.

I got is from emassagchair. Although I paid in full, they also do interest-free installment for 6 months I think. Here are some links. All massage chairs are compared to the Inada brand, because Inada is the leader in this market.

https://www.emassagechair.com/inada-...age-chair.html

https://www.inadausa.com/massage-chair-models/flex-3s/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV8n43Ij1vA

Outside the US, this is called the Inada Medicine Chair .. here it is call Inada Flex 3S
This link from the Netherlands should give you a lot more explanation.

I was thinking of going to a chiropractor or back therapists for my back pain .. not anymore .. this cured everything.

https://medicarelax.com/product/inad...massage-chair/

cyber888 06-13-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dtail (Post 2251447)
Thanks. Looks and sounds about right.

That's a China made one, and with a poor stretching function. All China made chairs only have 1 stretching function ..while lying down. the one I have will stretch you like a chiropractor would in a sitting upright position I would not go for that one, quality wise.

GravitySucks 06-17-2019 06:53 AM

So as soon as I post I'm not spending to see past prime acts, I bought a pair of tickets to see John Prine. Only $200 after the TicketMaster screwing.

Dtail 06-17-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyber888 (Post 2251690)
HI Dtail.

I spent about $4,000. Right now, it is $4,300 but you can get a discount if you ask. The specialty of this chair is posture correction and stretching your spine.
Now, there are many 'massage chairs', and almost all of them are 'Made in China'. This is 'Made in Japan'. So, Made in China chairs are around $2000-$5000 and have 1 year warranties. This Chair comes with a 5 Year In-Home Warranty .. so they will come to your house to repair it, if it has a problem. The Chinese Chairs have 1 year warranty.

And it is not primarily a massage Chair, but Spine/Posture correction .. but it has excellent massage functions too for the shoulder, neck, back, lower back, legs, arms and hands .. it has heat for hands and feet to improve circulation. It will give you the best massage as it covers a lot of your back and shoulder and legs. And it will also rotate your hips. It has hip massage.

I've tried the top end massage/stretching chairs which cost like $8,000-$10,000, but this is so far the right fit for DW and myself. This chair is ok for people 5.0 feet - 6.0 feet tall in height. My DW is only 5 feet, and I'm 5'8" so it works. If you are huge and taller than 6'1' .. you may want to try the Inada Sogno. Here are some links.

I got is from emassagchair. Although I paid in full, they also do interest-free installment for 6 months I think. Here are some links. All massage chairs are compared to the Inada brand, because Inada is the leader in this market.

https://www.emassagechair.com/inada-...age-chair.html

https://www.inadausa.com/massage-chair-models/flex-3s/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV8n43Ij1vA

Outside the US, this is called the Inada Medicine Chair .. here it is call Inada Flex 3S
This link from the Netherlands should give you a lot more explanation.

I was thinking of going to a chiropractor or back therapists for my back pain .. not anymore .. this cured everything.

https://medicarelax.com/product/inad...massage-chair/

Just saw this now. Thanks so much for the follow up details. My lower back is "dull pain" sore at times, sometimes after Pickleball.
More importantly, my DGF has back issues and sees a chiropractor and to be honest, I don't think he really is making a difference for us.
I will look into it further.

ExFlyBoy5 06-17-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2251528)
I still like the music from decades ago but have no interest in seeing those acts in concert any more.

They're way past their primes.

We don't do many concerts anymore (last one was Peter Frampton and Steve Miller Band, so it wasn't crazy at all!) not so much for the cost, but the madness of it all. And music festivals? Oh no way! I like this video that delves into music festivals...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ejg...f&index=7&t=0s

Dtail 06-17-2019 10:17 AM

We now try to see original bands but not for major bucks anymore. A few years ago, we saw "Heart" for around $70 a ticket. She still had a great voice except at the highest octaves. Great concert.
Same thing for "Air Supply".

rk911 06-17-2019 10:04 PM

cash for a new 40' class a motor home back in 2015. just got tix to see Travis Tritt.

targatom2019 06-19-2019 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 31885

Promised my wife this will be my last toy right before retirement. 2019 Targa 4GTS....OTD 182K.

targatom2019 06-19-2019 12:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is my other toy before the Porsche but after July 5th, I must learn to live on $60k per year. Off-shore fishing boat Attachment 31886

Ronstar 06-19-2019 05:30 AM

Not a lot of dough, but just ordered another Tilley hat. My third.

ckelly78z 06-19-2019 06:37 AM

I'm modding up an old (rust free) 1996 F150 for daily use during the Winter;
-tinted windows
-new stereo/speakers
-new truck bed liner
-fixing the front suspension
-full tune up including belts, hoses, plugs/wires, cap/rotor, fluids, and filters
-new brighter headlights, and fog lights
-steering wheel, and dash covers

Another Reader 06-19-2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipertom1970 (Post 2253786)
And here is my other toy before the Porsche but after July 5th, I must learn to live on $60k per year. Off-shore fishing boat Attachment 31886

Thinking you might have a problem with the $60k figure. Gas, insurance, tags and other incidentals for the toys might have you living under a bridge dining on cat food on that income.

FreeBear 06-19-2019 07:57 AM

Love my Tilley hat too! Have had it for almost two decades, so no excuse to Blow Dough. Did Blow Dough on a new smartphone though, although it’s a model 3 years old.

euro 06-19-2019 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Another Reader (Post 2253871)
Thinking you might have a problem with the $60k figure. Gas, insurance, tags and other incidentals for the toys might have you living under a bridge dining on cat food on that income.

This.... plus, while we can't tell much from the pics, the property taxes on your dwelling are probably not negligible either... BUT: you are correct, BLOW THAT DOUGH! :greetings10:

targatom2019 06-19-2019 08:28 AM

My wife and I already did a monthly expense budget and it’ looks good on paper including associated costs for the new car but not the new boat. I am in SoCal and coworkers could not believe my yearly expenses is only 60k per year and no way we live on cat food. The key for me is zero debt but reality will kick in about two weeks.

knucklehead 61 06-19-2019 09:07 AM

i bought 7 more antique Harley Davidson motorcycles in the last month & a half for a bit over $103,000 blow that dough!

NW-Bound 06-19-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

+1

I used to think I could live on that much. Well, I could if I had to. I am sure I could do it, if there was no other choice.

Thankfully, I have had another choice. ;D

HFWR 06-19-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Break Out Another Thousand

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2253920)
+1

I used to think I could live on that much. Well, I could if I had to. I am sure I could do it, if there was no other choice.

I get by on less, and don’t even eat cat food...

Ronstar 06-19-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knucklehead 61 (Post 2253904)
i bought 7 more antique Harley Davidson motorcycles in the last month & a half for a bit over $103,000 blow that dough!

Very nice!

W2R 06-19-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HFWR (Post 2253930)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2253920)
Quote:

+1

Me, too. I suppose a lot depends on whether or not that $60K has to cover a mortgage, car payments, travel, dependents, and so on.

As forum members have discussed many times on other threads, some people prefer to have a mortgage so that they don't lose "opportunity cost"; others like me would rather just have it paid and done with. So, that mortgage shows up in their annual spending.

Expenses of $60K/year would be pretty doggone lavish for a single, debt free, mortgage free non-traveler like me.

explanade 06-19-2019 10:42 AM

If you have a $200k car, your taste for other things like food and clothing may run well beyond $60k annual budget.

aja8888 06-19-2019 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckelly78z (Post 2253835)
I'm modding up an old (rust free) 1996 F150 for daily use during the Winter;
-tinted windows
-new stereo/speakers
-new truck bed liner
-fixing the front suspension
-full tune up including belts, hoses, plugs/wires, cap/rotor, fluids, and filters
-new brighter headlights, and fog lights
-steering wheel, and dash covers

Nice ! Here's my Gen 10 (1998) F150 Lariat with 49,000 miles on it.

Attachment 31889

NW-Bound 06-19-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HFWR (Post 2253930)

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2253945)
Expenses of $60K/year would be pretty doggone lavish for a single, debt free, mortgage free non-traveler like me.

I am sure that I would not be eating cat food if I cut down to $60K/year. Never said anybody would have to eat cat food on $60K, though some may have to because they mismanage their finance.

In fact, just looking at my Quicken screen, I can see that if I cut out gifts/charity, travel, and expenses of the 2nd home, put my motorhome on blocks, I can live fine on $60K and still eat filet, and lobster, and Dungeness crab, etc...

And still drink XO Cognac too, as I don't drink that much anymore, and also drink stuff like Bombay Sapphire which is a lot cheaper in comparison. And I still live in the comfort of my large home with AC, and surf the Web and chat with y'all just like I do now.

But that's because I have no fancy cars, boats, etc... ;D

Scuba 06-23-2019 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2253963)
If you have a $200k car, your taste for other things like food and clothing may run well beyond $60k annual budget.

That’s what I would think. Don’t know any Porsche and boat owners living on $60K in So CA. We don’t have either and spend three times that.

kwblack 06-24-2019 09:13 AM

Blowing that dough on travels!

In the past month, I planned a trip to Edinburgh for April 2020. DH's plane ticket is with AA miles, mine is cash, and since we're so far in advance, I found a great-looking airbnb apartment (Edinburgh locals on TripAdvisor tell me they know the place and it's really nice). Next will be booking an Outlander tour during the trip, and planning restaurants.

We've already booked and paid for our annual Jamaica trip (we have spent my birthday in Negril for many years) but still need to book flights. For the first time, I'm looking at a non-loyalty airline (JetBlue) because AA has gotten so bad with delays and there's always a connection on that trip. If I have played my "CC Sign-up bonus" right, we should be able to do one paid + one award ticket.

There's so many places I want to go, or I have gone on my own for work and want to re-visit with DH now that he's retired. I can't think of any traveling that I felt like it wasn't money well-spent.

targatom2019 06-24-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba (Post 2256200)
That’s what I would think. Don’t know any Porsche and boat owners living on $60K in So CA. We don’t have either and spend three times that.

Wow $180,000 expense ! Your salary must be above $230,000 just to break even and I don’t even make 1/2 of that working.

kwblack 06-24-2019 09:31 AM

Blow that dough on health and fitness!

I feel guilty, a little, for blowing money on this but...there I go anyway.

$1250 a year on concierge medical care--a fancy way of saying "like having a doctor back in the old days who had time for his patients." This gets me (along usual co-pays) a doctor with a small practice, takes phone calls, spends ample time if needed, doesn't insist on me coming into the office for things that can be handled over the phone, doesn't lose my records, doesn't read off a generic script, remembers who I am from one visit to the next. I toyed with the idea of not "blowing that dough" on this after DH retired...one visit to a regular practice for a gyno issue changed my mind. This one is staying in the budget.

Big "blow that dough": we both have personal trainers. It is pricey--$60 a session, however often we go (roughly twice a week, fluctuates some). Looking at it on paper, it's crazy--we could do workouts at home, go to the condo clubhouse gym, join the Y. But we've main significant gains in strength, flexibility, balance, etc. It's personalized so if I've rolled my ankle or whatever, my trainer can adjust what we do that day so I can get some benefit. DH is learning correct form for lifting and just better form for ADLs all around.

Most of my aches and pains I had before have gone or at least diminished.

And there's never more than 2-3 people in the area at once, so it's not so...people-y.

And it's fun. Our trainers are cool. DH's was in the Polish Olympics, mine teaches classes like "self-defense in enclosed spaces/with multiple attackers/in the dark". We have a good time blowing that batch of dough :-)

explanade 06-24-2019 10:44 AM

Booked last week a late August trip to Austria. Spend a couple of days in Vienna, then a few days in St. Wolfgang and then drive down to Val Gardena in the Dolomites, then Lake Garda and then drive to Innsbruck to spend a night before flying back.

Was severely tempted to buy business class tickets which are on sale but I would have had to shift my departure and return dates by about 10 days earlier.

Difference in fares is about $1300, though many of the hotels in the Dolomites have their highest rates through the end of August and bulk of my time there will be in September.

But primary consideration wasn't the cost, it was the timing. I already have another trip in mid July to beginning of August so I didn't want to turn around and leave again in two weeks.

TDub 06-25-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwblack (Post 2256334)
I feel guilty, a little, for blowing money on this but...there I go anyway.

$1250 a year on concierge medical care--a fancy way of saying "like having a doctor back in the old days who had time for his patients." This gets me (along usual co-pays) a doctor with a small practice, takes phone calls, spends ample time if needed, doesn't insist on me coming into the office for things that can be handled over the phone, doesn't lose my records, doesn't read off a generic script, remembers who I am from one visit to the next. I toyed with the idea of not "blowing that dough" on this after DH retired...one visit to a regular practice for a gyno issue changed my mind. This one is staying in the budget.

Big "blow that dough": we both have personal trainers. It is pricey--$60 a session, however often we go (roughly twice a week, fluctuates some). Looking at it on paper, it's crazy--we could do workouts at home, go to the condo clubhouse gym, join the Y. But we've main significant gains in strength, flexibility, balance, etc. It's personalized so if I've rolled my ankle or whatever, my trainer can adjust what we do that day so I can get some benefit. DH is learning correct form for lifting and just better form for ADLs all around.

Most of my aches and pains I had before have gone or at least diminished.

And there's never more than 2-3 people in the area at once, so it's not so...people-y.

And it's fun. Our trainers are cool. DH's was in the Polish Olympics, mine teaches classes like "self-defense in enclosed spaces/with multiple attackers/in the dark". We have a good time blowing that batch of dough :-)

I love the sound of all of this! Sounds like money well spent to me.

ugeauxgirl 06-25-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk911 (Post 2253308)
cash for a new 40' class a motor home back in 2015. just got tix to see Travis Tritt.

Travis Tritt will be near us in October. I'm probably going to go.

robnplunder 07-01-2019 01:41 PM

DW is going on a trip to South Korea for 5 weeks. I will be joining her in 4 weeks for a week stay for me as well. She asked me how much she can spend in Korea, given that I am in charge of our finances. I told her she has no limit on spending. FIRE is being able to say "no limit" on occasion like this. :dance:

NW-Bound 07-01-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnplunder (Post 2259932)
I told her she has no limit on spending. FIRE is being able to say "no limit" on occasion like this. :dance:

For your sake, I hope she will not happen across a Hermès store in Seoul.

ugeauxgirl 07-05-2019 08:31 PM

Leaving for vacation and several girlfriends had been bragging about gel nail polish so I trotted to the salon to get one. It was actually my first manicure EVER. I'm 47. I'm a) Pretty cheap. b) not really good at sitting still for stuff like this and c) manicures last 2 whole days. So girlfriends said I needed one, cause gel manicures last TWO WEEKS. So I got one- and a pedicure too. They MATCH. At checkout the girl gives me the total. My mouth falls open. The price on the list is for polish only- not the manicure, which is separate. (On a regular Mani or pedi, polish is free).

My husband and I have been laughing all evening about my sexy $80 nails. Whatever. Can afford it. As an aside- if you're going to do this I recommend any other day of the week than Friday- my patient self had to WAIT.

aja8888 07-05-2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl (Post 2262104)
Leaving for vacation and several girlfriends had been bragging about gel nail polish so I trotted to the salon to get one. It was actually my first manicure EVER. I'm 47. I'm a) Pretty cheap. b) not really good at sitting still for stuff like this and c) manicures last 2 whole days. So girlfriends said I needed one, cause gel manicures last TWO WEEKS. So I got one- and a pedicure too. They MATCH. At checkout the girl gives me the total. My mouth falls open. The price on the list is for polish only- not the manicure, which is separate. (On a regular Mani or pedi, polish is free).

My husband and I have been laughing all evening about my sexy $80 nails. Whatever. Can afford it. As an aside- if you're going to do this I recommend any other day of the week than Friday- my patient self had to WAIT.

Good thing you didn't get a haircut and color too....:facepalm:

Around here, DW needs to make an appointment, a week in advance....

VanWinkle 07-05-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Sounds like a bargain at only 8$ a finger/thumb. Enjoy!!

VW

ugeauxgirl 07-05-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanWinkle (Post 2262109)
Sounds like a bargain at only 8$ a finger/thumb. Enjoy!!

VW

Well I got a Manicure AND a pedicure so it was only $4 per nail [emoji23]

skipro33 07-05-2019 09:26 PM

I just checked my Quicken. DW spent $260 in the first 6 months of this year, roughly $40 a month, not including tips. She keeps her nails nice and toes too. Once you get the gels, then it's just a fill and file every few weeks. Not as expensive as the original visit. For fingers and toes, she pays $68
She has no problem fitting in appts either. This morning she called and asked her regular manicurist if she could fit her in between a Dr. appt. and her gym workout. Not a problem!

Once a month she takes my dad to get a pedicure. No way any of us want to touch a 87 year old man's nasty feet! Best $30 we ever spent! Ha!

FlaGator 07-05-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

A lady needs to do this at least once in a while, if not 1-2x/month. It's nice to be pampered, even at that price. :)

Every guy in the Sunbelt who wears flips everyday should get at least one pedicure in the summer. I'll have my "annual" done next week before leaving to see the fiance. Ask my last girlfriend how I know this;)

Dtail 07-06-2019 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaGator (Post 2262134)
A lady needs to do this at least once in a while, if not 1-2x/month. It's nice to be pampered, even at that price. :)

Every guy in the Sunbelt who wears flips everyday should get at least one pedicure in the summer. I'll have my "annual" done next week before leaving to see the fiance. Ask my last girlfriend how I know this;)

haha there are some nasty guys toes showing in FLA frequently. As for myself, clip my own toenails and actually don't care for sandals for myself.

davebarnes 07-06-2019 11:55 AM

Runtal towel warmer

Bought an electric Runtal towel warmer. $2300. Made in Deutschland. Beautiful construction.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....gL._SX466_.jpg
https://runtalnorthamerica.com

skipro33 07-06-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davebarnes (Post 2262366)

You have redefined what 'blow that dough' means for me. I thought for sure you typo'd an extra zero into that posted cost. I was wrong!

W2R 07-06-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipro33 (Post 2262385)
You have redefined what 'blow that dough' means for me. I thought for sure you typo'd an extra zero into that posted cost. I was wrong!

I thought the same! Wow, simply amazing.

Luckily, we don't need to heat towels down here in South Louisiana.... ;D Mother Nature provides us with plenty of heat whenever we want it, especially in the summertime. Here, it is very refreshing to get into a cool shower and then dry off with a nice cool towel.

:dance:

ExFlyBoy5 07-06-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Bought an electric Runtal towel warmer. $2300. Made in Deutschland. Beautiful construction.

Wow. RobbieB needs to step up his game...

USA 07-06-2019 04:19 PM

For my DH: 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0 Quartz outside/gray inside.

Rustic23 07-06-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnplunder (Post 2259932)
DW is going on a trip to South Korea for 5 weeks. I will be joining her in 4 weeks for a week stay for me as well. She asked me how much she can spend in Korea, given that I am in charge of our finances. I told her she has no limit on spending. FIRE is being able to say "no limit" on occasion like this. :dance:

In the 80's I made frequent trips there. My wife ask for a silk blouse. I ask how much I should spend.. She said no more than $50. I came had 10! She also got eel skin purses. She might have to spend more on suitcases!:)

explanade 07-07-2019 12:47 PM

Does that price include installation?

davebarnes 07-07-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2262742)
Does that price [of the Runtal towel warmer] include installation?

No.
I paid an electrician $200 to wire it, but I could have done it myself. I though maybe it would require GFI, but it did not.
I (with the help of my neighbor) mounted it on/to the wall. The mounting brackets are works of engineering art.

We needed a left-hand electrical connection. There are very few out there (available in the USA).
We wanted quality and not some $200 Wayfair piece of crap made in China.

The Toto toilet (Aimes - WASHLET®+ S550e One-Piece Toilet - 1.28 GPF) is next. I also had the electrician add an outlet for it.

RobbieB 07-07-2019 01:48 PM

Cool. Once a bidet, always a bidet. Not to mention the bun warmer seat!

explanade 07-07-2019 07:18 PM

Hmm, the towel racks I see in Europe I think use steam?

I think the one cool luxury would be installing heated bathroom floors.

Though I'm not one who takes long baths or showers anyways.

corn18 07-07-2019 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davebarnes (Post 2262756)
No.
I paid an electrician $200 to wire it, but I could have done it myself. I though maybe it would require GFI, but it did not.
I (with the help of my neighbor) mounted it on/to the wall. The mounting brackets are works of engineering art.

We needed a left-hand electrical connection. There are very few out there (available in the USA).
We wanted quality and not some $200 Wayfair piece of crap made in China.

The Toto toilet (Aimes - WASHLET®+ S550e One-Piece Toilet - 1.28 GPF) is next. I also had the electrician add an outlet for it.

Is this your bathroom?

https://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/produ...0c9ee0fa66.jpg

audreyh1 07-07-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

I really enjoy those towel (and bathroom) warmers/dryers in Europe. Not needed here though in our warm climate.

audreyh1 07-07-2019 08:58 PM

Hey - our new air conditioner cost more than that towel warmer!

Now I can tell my watch to set the house temperature! Even when away from home.

NW-Bound 07-08-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corn18 (Post 2262984)

Hmmm... That big bathroom, and the poor owner has to take a dump without any privacy. And I hope the room has good ventilation, because the usual bathroom fan will not be sufficient to aerate a room that large to keep it from getting smelly after use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2262993)
Hey - our new air conditioner cost more than that towel warmer!

Now I can tell my watch to set the house temperature! Even when away from home.

And I still have not installed the Nest thermostat I was gifted. This thermostat can be set remotely from the Web, I think.

I figure I will let whoever breaks into my house set the temperature to his liking.

W2R 07-08-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2263308)
Hmmm... That big bathroom, and the poor owner has to take a dump without any privacy.

Not only that, look at the shower! Why anybody would put in that type of shower, and leave a little step to get into it like that I do not know. The techniques for constructing a roll in shower (that can accomodate walkers, wheelchairs, or just plain unsteady elderly or disabled folks) has been known for a very long time. Also I see no grab bars in the shower.

I like my own, smaller, 1965-ish bathroom MUCH better. :)

Mdlerth 07-08-2019 01:41 PM

And where's the heated towel rack?

And there's no place near the commode to store a Reader's Digest or Farmer's Almanac.

RobbieB 07-08-2019 01:47 PM

Not even a roll of TP

aja8888 07-08-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2263335)
Not even a roll of TP

Well, once you are "done", the butler will hand you what you need, I would suppose.

levindb 07-08-2019 02:56 PM

I am pretty sure the body sprays from the shower can be used to wash your backside when you have finished your business on the commode. You might be able to tell your watch that you are ready to be cleansed.

skipro33 07-08-2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2263339)
Well, once you are "done", the butler will hand you what you need, I would suppose.

Now that's funny! The BUT ler. Haw!

W2R 07-12-2019 01:13 PM

Ordered my very first recliner, for the recovery period after my knee surgery in August.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....YL._SL160_.jpg

It's one of those "old people" type recliners, that has a lift function to help you stand up. Sounds great for those whose knees are less than ideal.

Blow That Dough for stress relief! Consumer therapy to the rescue. :laugh:

White Glove delivery wasn't an option, and F has some medical restrictions on lifting. But, if we can get it into the house (or get Fedex to do that) then we have a month to push it across the house and into place. Delivery is next week so TS Barry won't create problems.

RobbieB 07-12-2019 01:27 PM

I got one of those for Pops. His Dr. wrote a script so Medicare reimbursed some.

Ronstar 07-12-2019 01:28 PM

^Looks comfortable, but could be dangerous depending on how violent it catapults.

RobbieB 07-12-2019 01:31 PM

It's real slow.

DINKFIRE 07-12-2019 01:53 PM

dropped $14K on a kitchen reno for our short-term rental this May, love the outcome. The price included all new kitchen cabinets and counters, most of the kitchen appliances, new flooring, all new washer/dryer, and all labor plus some light fixtures. We also got new curtains and rods, and new patio furniture in the price. The old kitchen was from the 80s. Now it's back on the market with new bookings.

aja8888 07-12-2019 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2265707)
Ordered my very first recliner, for the recovery period after my knee surgery in August.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....YL._SL160_.jpg

It's one of those "old people" type recliners, that has a lift function to help you stand up. Sounds great for those whose knees are less than ideal.

Blow That Dough for stress relief! Consumer therapy to the rescue. :laugh:

White Glove delivery wasn't an option, and F has some medical restrictions on lifting. But, if we can get it into the house (or get Fedex to do that) then we have a month to push it across the house and into place. Delivery is next week so TS Barry won't create problems.

Don't be surprised if it comes in multiple pieces for your easy assembly!

W2R 07-12-2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2265724)
Don't be surprised if it comes in multiple pieces for your easy assembly!

:laugh: Well, at least it would be easier to move it to where I want it! I have a sturdy laundry cart that I could use to do that, if the pieces are not too big.

As for the assembly, F will probably help and he is unusually good at that sort of thing. I'm not.

REWahoo 07-12-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2265746)
As for the assembly, F will probably help and he is unusually good at that sort of thing. I'm not.

The last recliner we purchased required assembly. It was in two sections, the base and the back. Slide the back into a couple of slots in the base, listen for the "click", and we were done. Even a Texan caveman geezer could do it. :)