Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! - 2019 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2019-a-95591.html)

atmsmshr 09-24-2019 05:21 AM

Remodeling

Blowing the dough - but still have contractors beak down the bids to pick and choose.

First project - The week prior to Dorian approaching Florida, we had impact windows and door entrance installed at the front of the house. (Bid was contracted in June) $5k worth of Accordion shutters previously installed 2 years ago by myself on the other sides plus one flex screen makes now boarding up a 'breeze'. (Pun intended)

$14k for new 10 premium windows installed (including large bay) and front door with two sidelights. Still being a little frugal, I did the exterior finish carpentry and painting to save $2.5k. Lotta work that I could now do in retirement.

Another project - Last week the contractors started on our pool resurfacing and paver deck installation. 20 year old pool needed a do over.

$16k - We went with premium deck and pebble pool surface. My frugal contribution is to repair the leak in the pool light niche, replace the light base and rewire for a $2k savings. Ridiculously easy light work with the pool drained. Don't know how they get away with charging so much for a simple job of fixing the light.

Spending our kids inheritance. ;D

Winemaker 09-24-2019 06:09 AM

$1340 for 500# of Suisun Valley and Russian River California Pinot Noir grapes. After a 3 day cold soak, they are fermenting nicely. The Riesling, Gewurztraminer and Albarino are finishing up, about $600 worth. About $600 worth of Sauvignon Blanc grapes from same, due by end of week, with a ~$1200 drum of Valdiguie juice. 1000# of Petite Sirah, about $2400, hopefully will arrive 2nd week in October. I would like a week of cool temps then to help me out.

JDARNELL 09-24-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2301742)
$1340 for 500# of Suisun Valley and Russian River California Pinot Noir grapes. After a 3 day cold soak, they are fermenting nicely. The Riesling, Gewurztraminer and Albarino are finishing up, about $600 worth. About $600 worth of Sauvignon Blanc grapes from same, due by end of week, with a ~$1200 drum of Valdiguie juice. 1000# of Petite Sirah, about $2400, hopefully will arrive 2nd week in October. I would like a week of cool temps then to help me out.

How much will that produce?

Winemaker 09-24-2019 08:56 AM

The Pinot will produce a little over 150 750 ml bottles, the Petite Sirah and Valdiguie about 300 750 ml bottles each. The Gewurtz, Riesling and Albarino, 200 bottles total and the Sauv Blanc, 200 bottles.

I also purchased an 59 gallon barrel earlier this year for $600 for the Petite Sirah, but I should get 3-300 gallon vintages out of it over 6 years. The Pinot will be going into a 4 year old French Oak barrel that I paid $675.

JDARNELL 09-24-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2301798)
The Pinot will produce a little over 150 750 ml bottles, the Petite Sirah and Valdiguie about 300 750 ml bottles each. The Gewurtz, Riesling and Albarino, 200 bottles total and the Sauv Blanc, 200 bottles.

I also purchased an 59 gallon barrel earlier this year for $600 for the Petite Sirah, but I should get 3-300 gallon vintages out of it over 6 years. The Pinot will be going into a 4 year old French Oak barrel that I paid $675.

Nice. I know nothing about wine.

HFWR 09-24-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDARNELL (Post 2301804)
Nice. I know nothing about wine.

I know that itís around $10 at the wine store. [emoji12]

The Cosmic Avenger 09-24-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HFWR (Post 2301921)
I know that itís around $10 at the wine store gas station. [emoji12]

Fixed that for you. Us LBYM types don't go for that fancy "wine store" wine! ;) :laugh:

Walt34 09-24-2019 03:03 PM

Bought a 4-foot platform ladder at Lowes. They are also called a "podium ladder". They allow you about the same reach as a 6-foot stepladder but are safer because the part you stand on is bigger, and the "podium" is sort of a guardrail that helps with your sense of position. They cost half again as much as a stepladder but many (including me) feel they're safer.

tmm99 09-24-2019 04:11 PM

We renovated our kitchen (only resurfacing the cabinet doors instead of a whole gut job and we didn't redo the floor but did everything else) and replaced a bathtub, and bought some appliances/dining set within the last 12 months - It cost maybe around $25KCAD? It didn't feel like "blowing the dough" per se, but I'm very happy with my new kitchen look/feel...

tmm99 09-24-2019 04:18 PM

We've been eating out a little more than before. Nothing expensive, but I'm glad that I don't have to be neurotic about spending a small amount of money here and there. I got extremely frugal right after I FIRE'd, but now, I do a small hobby job that brings in pocket money, and my pension getting closer, I am feeling a little more at ease spending a little more. I think I spent like 2.5-2.6% of my liquid asset or something last year, so I think it's OK to blow that dough a little, is what I'm feeling lately. I may increase my travel budget.

kevdude 09-26-2019 09:40 PM

Flew from Seattle to Houston over the weekend to meet a buddy (who flew in from Denver) and see Iron Maiden in concert. Great weekend and show!

dm 09-27-2019 03:22 AM

Havenít done it yet, but we are planning on selling our current home and buying one on the water. The new house will cost twice what our home sold for when we were working.

So much for downsizing.

Next will be a boat.

ckelly78z 09-27-2019 04:55 AM

I have a daughter getting married in 2 weeks, all of my $$ have been spoken for !

athena53 09-27-2019 06:55 AM

Got back yesterday from 2 nights in Chicago with my 5-year old granddaughter. This was the third (the first was only an overnight as a trial run). I wanted to make sure we got a room at the Hilton O'Hare facing the airport because she LOVES watching the planes, and paid for it (didn't have enough Hilton points)- the room alone was something like $800 for 2 nights all-in. Had dinner at the hotel Night 1. She likes the hotel restaurant. $76 including wine for Grandma. :eek: The Children's Museum and a boat ride on the lake. A day pass at the Admiral's Club before our trip home. Snacks at airport prices on both ends. (After awhile she wanted to leave the AC and explore the airport. Then she got hungry.):rolleyes:

SO worth it. Her little sister is greatly anticipating her chance to do this but she's not quite 3 and not out of diapers. The 5-year old is happy to have me to herself for a while longer.

W2R 09-27-2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2302963)
Got back yesterday from 2 nights in Chicago with my 5-year old granddaughter. This was the third (the first was only an overnight as a trial run). I wanted to make sure we got a room at the Hilton O'Hare facing the airport because she LOVES watching the planes, and paid for it (didn't have enough Hilton points)- the room alone was something like $800 for 2 nights all-in. Had dinner at the hotel Night 1. She likes the hotel restaurant. $76 including wine for Grandma. :eek: The Children's Museum and a boat ride on the lake. A day pass at the Admiral's Club before our trip home. Snacks at airport prices on both ends. (After awhile she wanted to leave the AC and explore the airport. Then she got hungry.):rolleyes:

SO worth it. Her little sister is greatly anticipating her chance to do this but she's not quite 3 and not out of diapers. The 5-year old is happy to have me to herself for a while longer.

Wow!!! That's a staggering amount of dough to blow for the room and dinner, Athena, but what a rewarding way to spend money.

Sounds like your little granddaughter had the time of her life. :)

Cavechild 09-27-2019 09:36 AM

Going Solar

Just about $28k after the Federal Tax Credit. The calculated payback is about 8-9 years. I didn't do it for the payback, but was a little worried that it would only be about break-even as I hope to move to a mountain town in about 10 years when the kids go off to college. But Mrs. Chavechild said she wants to keep the house no matter what. So, no worries on that front.

Teacher Terry 09-27-2019 10:39 AM

My mom used to take each of my 3 boys to separate events and dinner and they really enjoyed it. When my sister moved to California she took one boy a year. When it was the third ones turn my sister had moved back locally so since he was 4 they drove to Wisconsin dells. My grandparents used to take us separately on a weekend. It’s nice to feel special. My grandparents didn’t have a lot of money so occasionally we would eat lunch at Woolworths and go to the movies. The rest of the weekend was walks, cards and home cooking. I would call her in advance and order my meals. I have fond memories of our time together.

aja8888 09-27-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 2300656)
Ok AJ that is a nice thing to have, but really really inappropriate for a birthday. How depressing to be told " You're Old Here is your badge."

She's been asking for one for a year now and it was a case of timing. I also got her another Bday gift, plus a nite out on the "town". It's all good. :)

HEY! both of us are in our 70's and still pretty active. For her, it's important to have a way to summon aid if she takes a fall and no one is around.

MBAustin 09-27-2019 01:02 PM

Enjoyed my annual "blow that dough" lunch of steamed hard crabs FedEx'd in from Crisfield, MD, along with a nice cold beer. Actually I only cracked 4 of the dozen (and saved the jumbo lumps for a dinner this weekend - DH thinks cracking crabs is too much work). I decided a few years ago to do this each fall as the crabs are big and generally on sale, and it's a birthday present to myself.

RobbieB 09-27-2019 01:05 PM

Good for you!

Besides it's much cheaper to send the east coast fish to wherever you are than to send yourself to the East Coast.

aja8888 09-27-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBAustin (Post 2303139)
Enjoyed my annual "blow that dough" lunch of steamed hard crabs FedEx'd in from Crisfield, MD, along with a nice cold beer. Actually I only cracked 4 of the dozen (and saved the jumbo lumps for a dinner this weekend - DH thinks cracking crabs is too much work). I decided a few years ago to do this each fall as the crabs are big and generally on sale, and it's a birthday present to myself.

MB, what shop did you order the crabs from? I may order some for my BDay in a week or so. :coolsmiley:

Walt34 09-27-2019 03:48 PM

Not exactly the last of the big spenders here, but a few days ago I bought a Milwaukee electric caulking gun. I'd heard of such things before but figured they were really only of reasonable value to someone working in a trade that requires that you apply lots of caulking, like a guy who installs windows for a living. Or maybe if you own a wooden boat.

I've discovered another category that the marketing people have so far neglected, and that is boomer DIY guys who are not yet ready to hang up their toolboxes and who have developed arthritis in their hands. I made this discovery a few weeks ago when I went to squeeze the trigger on my trusty Hechinger's brand caulking gun (Washington, D.C. area old-timers will recognize that name) and I let out a "YEOW!" followed by a string that if written here would get me sent traveling.

It's a nice caulking gun. I already had the batteries and charger for other tools so I bought the tool only. A neat feature is that when you let off the trigger it automatically "backs off" the plunger a bit, maybe 1/8" so the caulk won't continue to flow after you let off the trigger and make a mess. Anyone who has ever used a caulking gun will know what I mean. And even if you have arthritic hands it's easy to use.

pb4uski 09-27-2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dm (Post 2302924)
Haven’t done it yet, but we are planning on selling our current home and buying one on the water. The new house will cost twice what our home sold for when we were working.

So much for downsizing.

Next will be a boat.

Just came in from an hour-long pontoon boat ride/cocktail cruise/social hour around the lake with two other couples that are neighbors.... beautiful fall afternoon.... all part of the lakefront lifestyle that we pay a handsome premium for.

RobbieB 09-27-2019 06:38 PM

Got me a pound of sushi grade salmon and a pound of swordfish fresh from Catalina Offshore in today on FedEx. Gonna be a nice weekend!

athena53 09-28-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2302977)
Wow!!! That's a staggering amount of dough to blow for the room and dinner, Athena, but what a rewarding way to spend money.

Sounds like your little granddaughter had the time of her life. :)

Yeah, it was a bit of a ripoff. I'd redeemed Hilton points the first 2 visits. This time I didn't have enough. I thought I could use points to pay for one night and cash for the second but the room with the runway view was a $7/night "upgrade" but required 128,000 points for one night instead of 50,000. My granddaughter LOVES the view of the airport, which we got by chance the first time and by choosing the room on check-in the second. Hilton has been allowing its properties to call some pretty ordinary rooms "premium" and require insane amounts of points to redeem. Paying for more points that I needed would have cost almost as much as paying cash for both nights. Next time I should have 100K points and will take my chances.

We did economize in 2 places: used the subway/bus in and out of the city instead of Uber (she LOVED the subway) and had a "picnic" in the room for dinner the second night, with her leftover pizza from the previous night and a sandwich I got from the gift shop.

pb4uski 09-28-2019 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2303367)
.... We did economize in 2 places: used the subway/bus in and out of the city instead of Uber (she LOVED the subway) and had a "picnic" in the room for dinner the second night, with her leftover pizza from the previous night and a sandwich I got from the gift shop.

If you keep writing stuff like this ^^^^ we will need to throw you out of this thread.... in case you forgot, this is the Blow That Dough! - 2019 thread.... what were you thinking? :laugh:

pb4uski 09-28-2019 06:25 AM

We decided to splurge and buy two new cellphones... his and hers... same model so I can more easily help DW when she gets stuck on something... even though my phone was working perfectly fine (he had issues and needed to be replaced).

So we stopped at BestBuy whille shopping for phones and saw one that was $200.... so we planned to spend $400 for two phones.

When we stopped at a different Best Buy in a no sales tax state the next day to buy them they were on sale for $140 each... so only $280 for two phones... saving $120!... so I'm not sure that splurge now qualifies.

But it is the thought that counts, right?

FreeBear 09-28-2019 10:38 AM

Going to Greece next near, maybe should save this for the 2020 thread, but too excited. Over 3 grand for 2 in cattle class. Will stay at least 3 weeks. Will be out on a island. Rental car from the airport, eating in outdoor cafe, sleep with ocean view, kayaking on the ocean, more eating, sleeping, repeat! Will probably basecamp in one village for a week and drive on day trips or go with a local guide for kayaking and other fun. Then check out a few other waterfront villages for several day each. All on one big island. In retirement weíve been several days per stop; tired of all the running around we did when w*rking.

pacergal 09-28-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckelly78z (Post 2302933)
I have a daughter getting married in 2 weeks, all of my $$ have been spoken for !

Congratulations to you and your daughter. Hope you have a lovely wedding!

Christine 09-28-2019 11:33 AM

I'm visiting my mum and we talked about when she was 16 years old and worked in the kitchen of a hotel. She said it would be nice to visit that place again.

So I booked us a weekend there and to prove she's no kitchen help any more I booked us a mini suite each. It was a wonderful weekend. We traveled by car and went sightseeing for a few hours but the rest of the time just enjoyed the hotel, the nice balconies of the suites and almost everything else on offer.

So worth it!

GravitySucks 09-28-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2303141)
Good for you!

Besides it's much cheaper to send the east coast fish to wherever you are than to send yourself to the East Coast.

Yes, but those lobsters pulled from the Maine waters the day you eat them is worth the trip.

RobbieB 09-28-2019 01:29 PM

As a fisherman, I agree! Swimming in the morning, supper in the evening - :) Yup, the best!

MBAustin 09-28-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2303159)
MB, what shop did you order the crabs from? I may order some for my BDay in a week or so. :coolsmiley:

CrabPlace They are in Crisfield, MD, right in the middle of crab country. I've been quite happy with the larger sizes, not so much with the smaller.

FYI, the best crab cakes are from G&M Restaurant. I generally don't order them online because I make a trip to MD once a year and I get a box of several (uncooked) packed to travel as my second checked bag on Southwest (they're very close to BWI).

aja8888 09-28-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBAustin (Post 2303595)
CrabPlace They are in Crisfield, MD, right in the middle of crab country. I've been quite happy with the larger sizes, not so much with the smaller.

FYI, the best crab cakes are from G&M Restaurant. I generally don't order them online because I make a trip to MD once a year and I get a box of several (uncooked) packed to travel as my second checked bag on Southwest.

Thanks for the links! :)

explanade 09-29-2019 09:27 AM

Thinking of splurging for new Apple Watch Series 5.

But the current one I have, I don't wear all the time and I mainly use it to control the volume or skip ahead on podcasts.

It's also too slow to run many third-party apps. so maybe if I spend $400 or more, I would use it more.

It would be pure splurge.

GravitySucks 09-29-2019 10:14 AM

DW and I accidently ate at G&M once. It became our regular crab cake stop anytime we drove within 50 miles of there. I don't make it down that way anymore, Glad to hear it's still good.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MBAustin (Post 2303595)

FYI, the best crab cakes are from G&M Restaurant. I generally don't order them online because I make a trip to MD once a year and I get a box of several (uncooked) packed to travel as my second checked bag on Southwest (they're very close to BWI).

MarieIG 09-29-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBear (Post 2303490)
Going to Greece next near, maybe should save this for the 2020 thread, but too excited. Over 3 grand for 2 in cattle class. Will stay at least 3 weeks. Will be out on a island. Rental car from the airport, eating in outdoor cafe, sleep with ocean view, kayaking on the ocean, more eating, sleeping, repeat! Will probably basecamp in one village for a week and drive on day trips or go with a local guide for kayaking and other fun. Then check out a few other waterfront villages for several day each. All on one big island. In retirement weíve been several days per stop; tired of all the running around we did when w*rking.

Which big Island are you visiting? Crete, Rhodes, Corfu, or another? (My son is currently in Greece.) We are thinking of doing something similar in 2020; but due to family needs, it may be postponed to 2021.

jcretire77 09-30-2019 07:03 AM

Finally replacing twenty year old living room furniture for two Ekornes Stressless love seats and two recliners with ottomans. Trip to Phoenix in a month for DW 55 and over National tennis event followed by four days of golf at Wigwam which is near and was where we had our honeymoon. Being lazy and bought the unlimited play. Previous visit played 18 holes twice a day for five days. We were younger then :)

pb4uski 09-30-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySucks (Post 2303826)
DW and I accidently ate at G&M once. It became our regular crab cake stop anytime we drove within 50 miles of there. I don't make it down that way anymore, Glad to hear it's still good.

DW and I had a cancelled flight out of BWI.... so we got a nearby hotel room for the night. Needed to eat so we googled and G&M popped up so we went there.... loved it.

FreeBear 09-30-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarieIG (Post 2303834)
Which big Island are you visiting? Crete, Rhodes, Corfu, or another? (My son is currently in Greece.) We are thinking of doing something similar in 2020; but due to family needs, it may be postponed to 2021.

Cephelonia or Milos, shoulder season. Was looking at Santorini, but the cost and crowds turned me away. I hate dealing with the logistics, so weíll pick single island and camp out for a few weeks, maybe with 1-2 moves at most. Donít need to see anything famous either, so probably minimal time in Athens. Just want to sit in cafes, and kayak and drive around as much as we want.

Which islands do you enjoy??

Ronstar 09-30-2019 01:50 PM

Ordered a beverage center this morning. On my way to pick it up.

Freedom56 09-30-2019 06:14 PM

Flew to Toronto with my wife over the weekend first class (Air Canada 787 Dreamliner from LAX) to pick up my wife's Obgyn prescriptions from a Costco pharmacy in Toronto. The savings(one year supply) more than covered the entire trip. Even better was our prescription from last November still had refills and was valid so we didn't have to renew the prescription with a doctor in Canada this time. We don't mind stimulating the Canadian economy at the expense of greedy pharmaceutical companies and CVS Caremark. It costs $394 per month to fill the prescription here versus $15.85 per month in Canada using the brand name drug in both cases. The generic version would cost $244 per month here. The drug is pretty common and has been around for decades. We also enjoyed some fine dinners in Toronto.

Kwirk 09-30-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBear (Post 2304170)
...and drive around as much as we want.

I have fond memories of driving in Greece. Now that was an adventure! ;D

explanade 10-01-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freedom56 (Post 2304322)
Flew to Toronto with my wife over the weekend first class (Air Canada 787 Dreamliner from LAX) to pick up my wife's Obgyn prescriptions from a Costco pharmacy in Toronto. The savings(one year supply) more than covered the entire trip. Even better was our prescription from last November still had refills and was valid so we didn't have to renew the prescription with a doctor in Canada this time. We don't mind stimulating the Canadian economy at the expense of greedy pharmaceutical companies and CVS Caremark. It costs $394 per month to fill the prescription here versus $15.85 per month in Canada using the brand name drug in both cases. The generic version would cost $244 per month here. The drug is pretty common and has been around for decades. We also enjoyed some fine dinners in Toronto.

Will they fill prescriptions from US doctors?

Freedom56 10-04-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2304806)
Will they fill prescriptions from US doctors?

No. Last year we took the US doctor prescription to a walk in clinic and had the doctor write up the US doctor prescription with double dose. That cost us $50 cash (CDN). Costco allows you to fill 6 months up in Canada and which gave us one year supply with refills this year. Last year we filled it in November. This year we filled it at the end of September. Both times we were at the Costco in North York, there were many people from the US doing exactly the same thing we were doing. For Costco it's an easy cash business without having to process insurance claims. It's 100% legal in Canada. We are under the $800 US customs limit so no issue there either. Plus US Customs are allowing people to cross the border to fill there prescription. They are fully aware of the issue with pharma drug pricing.

tmm99 10-04-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freedom56 (Post 2306205)
No. Last year we took the US doctor prescription to a walk in clinic and had the doctor write up the US doctor prescription with double dose. That cost us $50 cash (CDN). Costco allows you to fill 6 months up in Canada and which gave us one year supply with refills this year. Last year we filled it in November. This year we filled it at the end of September. Both times we were at the Costco in North York, there were many people from the US doing exactly the same thing we were doing. For Costco it's an easy cash business without having to process insurance claims. It's 100% legal in Canada. We are under the $800 US customs limit so no issue there either. Plus US Customs are allowing people to cross the border to fill there prescription. They are fully aware of the issue with pharma drug pricing.

What did you say to the Canadian doc to make that happen? "I'm trying to save money because the drugs are so expensive in the US?"

TromboneAl 10-04-2019 07:39 PM

I'm gearing myself up to buy a Tesla.

REWahoo 10-04-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TromboneAl (Post 2306286)

You plan on paying cash or charging it? ;D

NW-Bound 10-04-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwirk (Post 2304362)
I have fond memories of driving in Greece. Now that was an adventure! ;D

Did you drive like dis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADSi8YOduMQ

Kwirk 10-04-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2306305)
Did you drive like dis?

:laugh: I didnít have quite that much fun. But I can say for certain that 2 cars side by side in a 2 lane road with an oncoming truck wouldnít have been seen as a problem: everybody adjusts a bit and goes on their way. Shoulders are (or were) de facto lanes in Greece.

Freedom56 10-05-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmm99 (Post 2306279)
What did you say to the Canadian doc to make that happen? "I'm trying to save money because the drugs are so expensive in the US?"

We showed him the prescription from the US Obgyn and explained that we wanted it filled in Canada and wanted a one year supply. The doctor spoke to my wife and actually took her vitals and discussed how long she has been taking the medication. Then he wrote out the prescription with a dosage of twice per week versus once per week. That was it. We have no issue paying for medication at a fair price, but $4750 per year vs $185 for the exact same medication is a little too hard to accept. When you buy from a retail pharmacy in Canada like Costco, you have assurances that the medication is legit.

TromboneAl 10-05-2019 06:09 PM

Both (groan).
Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 2306290)
You plan on paying cash or charging it? ;D

RobbieB 10-05-2019 07:00 PM

Yeah Baby! Write that big check, it's fun!

Moemg 10-05-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Where are you hiding the real T AL ?:)

W2R 10-05-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moemg (Post 2306756)
Where are you hiding the real T AL ?:)

:2funny: That's what I was thinking, too!

tmm99 10-05-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freedom56 (Post 2306431)
We showed him the prescription from the US Obgyn and explained that we wanted it filled in Canada and wanted a one year supply. The doctor spoke to my wife and actually took her vitals and discussed how long she has been taking the medication. Then he wrote out the prescription with a dosage of twice per week versus once per week. That was it. We have no issue paying for medication at a fair price, but $4750 per year vs $185 for the exact same medication is a little too hard to accept. When you buy from a retail pharmacy in Canada like Costco, you have assurances that the medication is legit.

Wow, a huge difference in price! OMG!

NW-Bound 10-06-2019 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freedom56 (Post 2306431)

If we had a true free market, the above price difference would not happen.

The above price ratio of 25x is a lot more than the average as reported in the following article, which says 16x between the US and India.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ore-for-drugs/

Scuba 10-09-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBear (Post 2304170)
Cephelonia or Milos, shoulder season. Was looking at Santorini, but the cost and crowds turned me away. I hate dealing with the logistics, so weíll pick single island and camp out for a few weeks, maybe with 1-2 moves at most. Donít need to see anything famous either, so probably minimal time in Athens. Just want to sit in cafes, and kayak and drive around as much as we want.

Which islands do you enjoy??

We loved Milos but were only there 4 nights. Itís a pretty small island. Have you considered Naxos? We spent a week there and could have been happy staying for much longer. Stayed at a great Air BnB right on Playa for around $350 for 7 nights. Not fancy but well-located, safe and clean.

FreeBear 10-09-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba (Post 2308196)
We loved Milos but were only there 4 nights. Itís a pretty small island. Have you considered Naxos? We spent a week there and could have been happy staying for much longer. Stayed at a great Air BnB right on Playa for around $350 for 7 nights. Not fancy but well-located, safe and clean.

Glad you loved Milos. Will plan to go eventually. Smaller is fine with us. Saves time running around. Will look into Naxos too.

One of the many appeals of the Greek isles, is the relatively low cost of food and lodging.

explanade 10-09-2019 05:33 PM

Santorini lodging isn't cheap is it?

Freedom56 10-09-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2306786)
If we had a true free market, the above price difference would not happen.

The above price ratio of 25x is a lot more than the average as reported in the following article, which says 16x between the US and India.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ore-for-drugs/

The problem is that we don't have a free market. Even if you buy prescriptions through your insurance company designated PBM, you will often pay 2-3 times the price of someone using a coupon and bypassing the PBM. This is the case for many generic drugs. Fortunately for me, I don't need any prescription drugs but many woman that reach their late 40's or early 50's are prescribed drugs by the OBGyn to maintain their bone mass and to mitigate other woman's health issues. The pharma companies know this and are making a fortune by hiking prices. For those of us that are early retirees that are on high deductible insurance plans, this becomes a problem. So the free market is working for me and many others by bypassing the corrupt system here and buying drugs in Canada.

RobbieB 10-16-2019 07:38 PM

Got 10 pounds of Alaska Halibut fillets in today, 1 pound going on the barbee soon - :)

lordjust 10-16-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2311288)
Got 10 pounds of Alaska Halibut fillets in today, 1 pound going on the barbee soon - :)

How do i thumbs up this ? :dance:

lordjust 10-16-2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freedom56 (Post 2308498)
The problem is that we don't have a free market. Even if you buy prescriptions through your insurance company designated PBM, you will often pay 2-3 times the price of someone using a coupon and bypassing the PBM. This is the case for many generic drugs. Fortunately for me, I don't need any prescription drugs but many woman that reach their late 40's or early 50's are prescribed drugs by the OBGyn to maintain their bone mass and to mitigate other woman's health issues. The pharma companies know this and are making a fortune by hiking prices. For those of us that are early retirees that are on high deductible insurance plans, this becomes a problem. So the free market is working for me and many others by bypassing the corrupt system here and buying drugs in Canada.

so flying to mexico or Canada for the drugs isnt a free market?

NW-Bound 10-16-2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordjust (Post 2311313)
so flying to mexico or Canada for the drugs isnt a free market?

No.

A free market would allow a business like Costco or Walgreen to buy the cheap drug from abroad and import them, and save the US consumers the hassle of making a trip abroad just to buy some medicine.

The fact that no business or entrepreneur has taken up this endeavor tells me that there are likely laws prohibiting it. I have not researched it, so perhaps I am all wrong. In that case, someone with the right info please correct me.

skipro33 10-17-2019 01:45 AM

I got a buddy who's into RC (radio control) cars. 4x4 crawlers to be exact. Even more exact, scale vehicles where everything is built to scale and looks as close to full sized vehicles as they can get.

So he got me hooked. I've spent at least $2,000 getting into the hobby and probably another $500 a month there after.

Here's an example of just the paint detail in a couple photos. This is a 1956 Ford F150 truck. It starts out as a clear Lexan shell and is painted up to look old and rusty.
Keep in mind; this body is about 12 1/2 inches long.

For a full story about this truck and a bunch of photos as the build progressed, here's the link;
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads...uckling.58327/

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/attachm...ils-jpg.36175/

From the coat hanger antenna, bird poop on the windshield and rag in the gas tank filler, the detail is amazing.

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/attachm...rt4-jpg.37138/

skipro33 10-17-2019 01:55 AM

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/attachm...er2-jpg.39150/

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/attachm...ter-jpg.39132/

mirror before;
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/attachm...ame-jpg.37039/

Mirror after;

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/attachm...or2-jpg.37082/

https://https://www.rctalk.com/forum/...ame-jpg.37039/

atmsmshr 10-18-2019 02:57 AM

I cant believe I did this

DW and I are in the Med this month for my retirement celebration. Today during our cruise we just spent $400 for a couples oil massage with hot stones.

First time massages; quite possibly the most decadent thing done in my life. (And yes, thoroughly enjoyed)

After a lifetime of frugality, blow that dough. :dance:

Freedom56 10-18-2019 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2311323)
No.

A free market would allow a business like Costco or Walgreen to buy the cheap drug from abroad and import them, and save the US consumers the hassle of making a trip abroad just to buy some medicine.

The fact that no business or entrepreneur has taken up this endeavor tells me that there are likely laws prohibiting it. I have not researched it, so perhaps I am all wrong. In that case, someone with the right info please correct me.

Here are the rules regarding the importation of prescription drugs from Canada:

https://www.pharmacycheckerblog.com/...ed-by-congress

They are basically looking the other way with respect to importation for personal use. They understand the predicament many seniors face with rising cost of prescription drugs so they are allowing patients to cross the border and buy prescription drugs in Canada. This has been going on for a long time.

"Customs and Border Patrol Cannot Use Funds to Stop Personal Imports Carried by Patients

For several years, a provision has usually been included in Homeland Security appropriations bills that prohibit funds from going toward preventing individuals from importing medicine for personal use from Canada that they physically carry themselves. In this case, Congress explicitly cuts funding to stop enforcement action to prevent personal drug importation.

See: Section 206 of H.R.244 Ė Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017

The imports must be FDA-approved drugs: those would include medications made in the U.S. and those made in foreign manufacturing plants registered with FDA, which are also sold in the U.S. However, many generic drugs and foreign versions of FDA-approved drugs would not technically be allowed under this policy.

This is yet another clear example of Congress siding with patients on illegal personal importation."

jollystomper 10-21-2019 10:45 PM

We are back from our Las Vegas trip. We certainly "blew that dough" on sightseeing, shows, entertainment (like the canal ride at the Venetian) and taxis. Even a limo to/from the airport just to give DW that "rich" feeling :). Interestingly going for the buffets at the "high class" hotels somehow kept our food bill down a lot lower than we thought. Our total was twice as much as we could have spent, but it was worth it. We are not gamblers so we did not choose to blow that dough in that manner. :)

dixonge 10-22-2019 05:42 AM

Even when I splurge, I have to save money. It's a curse :(

After five or so years of doing PC/Android we're going back to Apple. Because we can. Also because I'm trying to make sure that if I kick the bucket the wife can more easily continue on with her phone, etc. without having me as her personal I.T. tech support person. Or something like that.

Any way, Mac mini and MacBook Air (refurb). iPhone 8. Two Series 3 watches. All with 3% cash back on the new Apple Card. Will sell the older iPhone 5s, Lenovo laptop and zBox desktop back in Mexico. Keeping the iPad. Not only do we achieve Apple ecosystem unity but everything stays *very* portable. Perfect for travel!

braumeister 10-26-2019 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure what else is significant about today beyond the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, but we celebrated it anyway with a Wagyu A5 steak (inspired by RobbieB).
Attachment 32897

It was every bit as good as it looks. As close to a religious experience as you can have at the dinner table.

Mr. Tightwad 10-26-2019 05:06 PM

$45 on a haunted hayride + 3 mazes last night. It was good, I'm a big Halloween fan.

RobbieB 10-26-2019 05:19 PM

That is one magnificent rib-eye! Every bite must have dissolved in your mouth - :)

cbo111 10-26-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Me too. I will wait another year to see how the company is surviving, then may pull the trigger.

GravitySucks 10-27-2019 01:11 PM

A 36 mile stretch of the old Erie canal is 3 miles down the road.
It still holds water. Pretty amazing engineering feat. All hand dug. Opened the Midwest to the world.
Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 2315520)
Not sure what else is significant about today beyond the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, but we celebrated it anyway with a Wagyu A5 steak (inspired by RobbieB).
Attachment 32897

It was every bit as good as it looks. As close to a religious experience as you can have at the dinner table.

GoBears 10-28-2019 01:18 AM

Replaced our 2010 Lexus RX Hybrid with the 2020 version. Love the updated safety features. We could have waited a few years, but the timing felt right, particularly in light of an inheritance and the unexpected passing of a younger colleague.

DrRoy 10-28-2019 04:19 AM

So we have been collectors of modest art glass for some years, mostly paperweights that are from 2" to 3.5" in diameter. Most were no more than $150 each, frequently less. We have 3 pieces from a particular artist that does really nice work, and recently got a platter that is 12" in diameter for $280 from a gallery that features his work. Now we see on his website a 5" diameter round piece that is really gorgeous for $1000. We can totally afford it, but spending the $ totally goes against my sensibilities. We don't need it. Might there be something else that we could do with the $ that would be less, or we might like better? It's tough to pull this trigger.

JDARNELL 10-28-2019 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love hand made glass pieces. I struggled for 3 days to purchase this piece in Santorini Greece. Today I pulled the trigger. Definitely in the blow that dough camp. But every time I looked at the artists work it brought a smile to my face. Attachment 32905

googily 10-29-2019 03:47 PM

A few days late, but I should probably mention I bought a ticket on the secondary market to Game 3 of the World Series. Upper deck, about at 3rd base, and got it for $963 before the Astros clinched their series. Similar tickets were selling for $1250 a few hours before game time.

And yes, the Nats lost, but I went with three generations of family, none of whom had ever been to a World Series, so it was worth it.

Souschef 10-29-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by googily (Post 2316894)
A few days late, but I should probably mention I bought a ticket on the secondary market to Game 3 of the World Series. Upper deck, about at 3rd base, and got it for $963 before the Astros clinched their series. Similar tickets were selling for $1250 a few hours before game time.

And yes, the Nats lost, but I went with three generations of family, none of whom had ever been to a World Series, so it was worth it.

I think that is wonderful:)

googily 10-29-2019 05:49 PM

My 86 year old father and my sports crazy 11 year old nephew seemed equally enthralled!

davebarnes 10-29-2019 07:06 PM

Upgraded my wife's iPhone X (huge) to an iPhone 11 Pro (huge) after just 11 months.
Cameras.

audreyh1 10-30-2019 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davebarnes (Post 2317033)
Upgraded my wife's iPhone X (huge) to an iPhone 11 Pro (huge) after just 11 months.
Cameras.

Shocking! LOL!

UtahSkier 10-30-2019 12:43 PM

All right, did my part.

Just purchased an 82inch tv (from Costco) to replace a 3yr old 65inch TV. Prices dropped big last night. The old TV will be redeployed.

The good news in all this is my living room simply cannot hold a bigger TV. This should last 7+ years like many of my prior TV purchases.

Another Reader 10-30-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahSkier (Post 2317369)
All right, did my part.

Just purchased an 82inch tv (from Costco) to replace a 3yr old 65inch TV. Prices dropped big last night. The old TV will be redeployed.

The good news in all this is my living room simply cannot hold a bigger TV. This should last 7+ years like many of my prior TV purchases.

You didn't wait until Black Friday? Oh, the horror!! You must have blown that dough!!

tmm99 10-30-2019 02:07 PM

Not sure if this counts as a splurge or blow that dough, but just bought a gym membership for me and DH for $500 a year (quite cheap). I already play a lot of sports worth $1000 per year just for myself (volleyball), but I've been wanting to add strength training on my off-days, so it's now $1,500 for sports/fitness. The gym has hydromassage tables/chairs as well as massage chairs and red light therapy rooms, so those were the perks that caught my attention, and I imagine I will be using some machines for strength training LOL.

cnocmmz 10-30-2019 04:06 PM

Awesome...Yep I am next. I have an 90 inch now I purchased 4 years ago lol

Walt34 10-30-2019 05:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Both of us hate cold weather. For the upcoming winter we bought His 'n Hers Milwaukee Electric heated jackets from Home Depot, and I bought a pair of heated gloves from Acme Tools (gender bias still exists; Milwaukee doesn't make them for women) since HD was apparently out of them in my size. We haven't had enough cold weather to really try them out but all seems to work well.

Say, isn't Acme Tools where Wile E. Coyote gets all his stuff? Oh well, our fire/explosion insurance is paid up....

UtahSkier 10-30-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Another Reader (Post 2317404)
You didn't wait until Black Friday? Oh, the horror!! You must have blown that dough!!

A strategic decision after tons of analysis. This TV has an MSRP of $4000 and Costco was selling it yesterday for $3300. Today's price is $2500 which I feel will be the black Friday price.

Trigger pulled today, so I can buy something else on black Friday :)

Another Reader 10-30-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahSkier (Post 2317524)
A strategic decision after tons of analysis. This TV has an MSRP of $4000 and Costco was selling it yesterday for $3300. Today's price is $2500 which I feel will be the black Friday price.

Trigger pulled today, so I can buy something else on black Friday :)

The Black Friday ad is already online, thanks to Costco Insider.

https://www.costcoinsider.com/costco...d/#coupon-book

explanade 10-30-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt34 (Post 2317522)
Both of us hate cold weather. For the upcoming winter we bought His 'n Hers Milwaukee Electric heated jackets from Home Depot, and I bought a pair of heated gloves from Acme Tools (gender bias still exists; Milwaukee doesn't make them for women) since HD was apparently out of them in my size. We haven't had enough cold weather to really try them out but all seems to work well.

So the heated jackets isn't clothing if it's from Home Depot?

Is it some kind of blankets which you plug in, not battery-powered?

Ronstar 10-31-2019 06:42 AM

Thanks for the tip Walt! I just ordered some heated gloves from Amazon. They should keep my fingers from freezing when I'm plowing snow on the atv.

ckelly78z 10-31-2019 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt34 (Post 2317522)
, and I bought a pair of heated gloves from Acme Tools

I think I may have Raynauds disease, because the symptoms sound identical to what occurs with me. https://www.google.com/search?q=rayn...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Tell me how the gloves work out for you, i've been looking for answers.

The Cosmic Avenger 10-31-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckelly78z (Post 2317678)
I think I may have Raynauds disease, because the symptoms sound identical to what occurs with me. https://www.google.com/search?q=rayn...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Tell me how the gloves work out for you, i've been looking for answers.

Have you tried hand warmers? They're single-use chemical thermal packs, and while they would need to go in the palm of your hand, that usually helps warm the fingertips, and you can always pull your fingers into the palm of your glove.

KB 10-31-2019 08:13 AM

I just replaced 15 year old carpeting in three bedrooms with wood flooring. And then replaced ugly white tile counter tops with quartz adding a new sink too. Love the look now.

Then I had 7 old discolored can lights replaced and had new metal rollers put on the 9 foot tall slider. It was a busy couple of months, but I am very happy with everything. It all cost about 20K.

jollystomper 10-31-2019 08:43 AM

Paid for my first golf club membership at a local course, for November through March. Perhaps not really blowing that dough, I just need to play 12 more times between now and the end of March to be ahead. We should get some nice days in the Mid-Atlantic area during that time. :)

MBAustin 10-31-2019 10:11 AM

Booked flights, hotel, and game tickets for quick trip to NYC in November to the Empire Classic at Madison Square Garden. BFF e-mailed me that she and her husband were going (they live within driving distance and visit the city often); I checked my calendar and realized I could fly up Thursday morning, come back Saturday, and still see DS who will be in town on Sunday. Bonus - I get to spend time Friday with DD who is in law school there. Since neither kid will be home for Thanksgiving, it's nice to get to see them just before the holiday.

Not too much dough as the flights were reasonable and I used points for most of the hotel cost. But a few years ago I would have thought this was frivolous and not made the trip.

Fireup2020 10-31-2019 12:47 PM

$2500 fishing boat, wood chipper, towable cart for ATV, planer & table, new dremel multi-tool...moved to our forever lake home...renovations about to begin, and more utility toys to come! (all these items in past week!)

38Chevy454 11-01-2019 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had sold my previous larger motorhome about 1 month ago. Bought this new (used) motorhome last Friday. Drove back from Florida, towing my car I drove down. Little over 2100 miles in 5 days for the round trip. Picture of new motorhome ready to hit the road back to home. I wanted to downsize, this one is 37 ft length, my old one was 45 ft. Not too much of a blow the dough since most of the funds for new motorhome came from selling the old one. Looking forward to some future trips. Attachment 32944