Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! - 2019 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2019-a-95591.html)

Global Wizzo 01-18-2019 06:34 PM

Not slowing down

This year was supposed to be a lower travel year. Right!
First trip to Banff. Rock from the mtn got the roof corner on a new rental. Few $$ there. DW found another arctic coat and another 1k.

Trips between now and Apr include Beijing, Tucson, Italy with multiple stops and Nashville. Got another Beijing trip in October and Orlando, then a Dubai trip in Nov. thinking about Sydney for New Years.

2018 found us in 15 countries and some of them up to four times.

Guess we aren’t slowing down.

GW

Ronstar 01-18-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2174858)
Stumbled onto the Costco Traeger display a couple of weeks ago and bought me the entry level Junior Elite 20. That wasn't really much of a splurge. But if I get hooked I'll probably splurge on a larger one.

It's done some very nice cooking so far. Some outrageously delicious food! - baby back ribs and a smoked chicken.

I was in the market for a smoker, just hadn't really considered a pellet grill before.

Nice smoker! You might not need a bigger one. I bought a separate generic grate and created a 2nd level by resting the 2nd grate on 4 opened cans of pork n Beans (with bacon added) sitting on the 4 corners of the lower grate. I had a slab of ribs on each level and cooked up the beans at the same time.

The Cosmic Avenger 01-18-2019 06:55 PM

We just had an emergency large vet inpatient visit that will probably be in the mid- to high four digits. There goes our discretionary spending for a while! #BlowThatDough

audreyh1 01-18-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2174881)
Nice smoker! You might not need a bigger one. I bought a separate generic grate and created a 2nd level by resting the 2nd grate on 4 opened cans of pork n Beans (with bacon added) sitting on the 4 corners of the lower grate. I had a slab of ribs on each level and cooked up the beans at the same time.

Thanks!

I could easily have done two racks of ribs (and wish I had! as we gobbled up that rack in two meals). And supposedly you can do three with a rib rack.

There are a couple of features not available on this unit. So if I do quite a bit with it I'll feel justified in upgrading.

Ronstar 01-18-2019 07:12 PM

^ yes 3 racks of ribs will fit - 2 on top - 1 below with the cans. I donít know if youíve checked out Traegerís website- they have a lot of good recipes. Iíve done the midnight brisket a few times. And Iíve used the 3-2-1 rib recipe. Good stuff.

Winemaker 01-18-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba (Post 2174869)
Italian furniture is very expensive but nice quality. Natuzzi makes quality modern looking sofas. They are still quite expensive, but probably not $16K. Of course it depends on the size, style and color you want.

We paid a big premium for our dining room chairs which are upholstered in leather because of their style (also Italian). The leather they use is the same leather that goes into Ferrari’s so they were pricey, but we were able to get the unusual color we wanted. They are very comfortable and stylish too.

I think letting DW choose the sofa is a good idea. [emoji6] If you’re up for spending big bucks and you like modern style, check out Roche Bobois. They have some very nice sofas and sectionals. Long lead times as everything comes from France.

Yeah, it was a Natuzzi. Yes we like nice things, but $16,000 is a an obscene amount to spent on a light colored leather couch with a glass of red wine. If she let's me drink anything hile sitting on any couch. The first couch we ever bought was a Ethan Allen sleeper and it's downstairs in the cellar with the wine. DW reupholstered it about 5 years ago. It's 36 years old, and we might be due.

audreyh1 01-18-2019 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2174900)
^ yes 3 racks of ribs will fit - 2 on top - 1 below with the cans. I don’t know if you’ve checked out Traeger’s website- they have a lot of good recipes. I’ve done the midnight brisket a few times. And I’ve used the 3-2-1 rib recipe. Good stuff.

Yes, I have been reviewing the Traeger site and cookbook recipes plus watched a bunch of videos.

The rib recipe I did was 3-2-1 and it was indeed truly awesome.

Which model do you have?

I'm a little nervous about brisket. I'm thinking I might want a larger hopper plus I'd like to have the pro controller which is not compatible with my unit. Temperature "control" on my unit is wild and crazy, although that doesn't seem to interfere with the look or taste of the food.

I once had my fire go out on smoke after a couple of hours and that's a pain to rectify. I think it's because I lifted the lid to brush with apple juice about when it was dropping to it's lower temp and I think that interfered with the induction fan stoking the fire to raise the temp again and it couldn't recover. It's a bit finicky.

Thanks - I'll check out that Midnight Brisket - since it uses a flat. I don't think we can handle anything over 8 pounds.

I'm motivated to do a tri-tip. Love that cut and I bet it would turn out awesome on a Treager.

Winemaker 01-18-2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2174959)
Yes, I have been reviewing the Traeger site and cookbook recipes plus watched a bunch of videos.

The rib recipe I did was 3-2-1 and it was indeed truly awesome.

Which model do you have?

I'm a little nervous about brisket. I'm thinking I might want a larger hopper plus I'd like to have the pro controller which is not compatible with my unit. Temperature "control" on my unit is wild and crazy, although that doesn't seem to interfere with the look or taste of the food.

I once had my fire go out on smoke after a couple of hours and that's a pain to rectify. I think it's because I lifted the lid to brush with apple juice about when it was dropping to it's lower temp and I think that interfered with the induction fan stoking the fire to raise the temp again and it couldn't recover. It's a bit finicky.

Thanks - I'll check out that Midnight Brisket - since it uses a flat. I don't think we can handle anything over 8 pounds.

I'm motivated to do a tri-tip. Love that cut and I bet it would turn out awesome on a Treager.

I used one of these on "vacation" this summer several times.. Not a bad unit, but the fire went out once when the pellets did not all flow out of hopper. Perhaps the slow feed allowed the easy pellets to fall and enter the feed auger, but the angle of repose did not allow them to empty. No fuel, no flame.

Ronstar 01-19-2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2175005)
I used one of these on "vacation" this summer several times.. Not a bad unit, but the fire went out once when the pellets did not all flow out of hopper. Perhaps the slow feed allowed the easy pellets to fall and enter the feed auger, but the angle of repose did not allow them to empty. No fuel, no flame.

That has happened to my Traeger a few times. But it hasnít happened since starting vacuuming out the ash/ partially burned pellets in the pot area where the pellets are burned - before I start the smoker.

audreyh1 01-19-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2175045)
That has happened to my Traeger a few times. But it hasnít happened since starting vacuuming out the ash/ partially burned pellets in the pot area where the pellets are burned - before I start the smoker.

Interesting.

So far my firepot has been pretty darn clean after running the shutdown.

Canoesmith 01-20-2019 08:22 AM

Building a big garage and retiring in July

With my retirement date of July 5th 2019 I am finalizing a deal with a builder to construct a 1024 sf garage at our cabin this coming spring to be completed by my retirement. This will give me room for more toys once I get up there for the summers. Seems decadent to spend so much on an outbuilding but it will be insulated and finished like a home. But that space will be so helpful for storage and as a work area. It will really make our place complete.

Blowing the dough already here in 2019!

googily 01-20-2019 08:47 AM

Have signed a contract to spend a fortune to have a landscape designer tackle my front yard, which has gone completely to seed and which needs far more assistance than I am capable of or interested in. I think once it is overhauled I will be happy to get back to maintaining it, though. Been in this house 25 years, so I think yanking everything out and starting over is not a complete boondoggle in and of itself, but I did choose one of the most expensive outfits to do it. But he does amazing work.

Ronstar 01-20-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canoesmith (Post 2175708)
With my retirement date of July 5th 2019 I am finalizing a deal with a builder to construct a 1024 sf garage at our cabin this coming spring to be completed by my retirement. This will give me room for more toys once I get up there for the summers. Seems decadent to spend so much on an outbuilding but it will be insulated and finished like a home. But that space will be so helpful for storage and as a work area. It will really make our place complete.

Blowing the dough already here in 2019!

That doesnít seem decadent to me. Seems like a pre-retirement necessity. I wish I would have done it.

audreyh1 01-20-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by googily (Post 2175724)
Have signed a contract to spend a fortune to have a landscape designer tackle my front yard, which has gone completely to seed and which needs far more assistance than I am capable of or interested in. I think once it is overhauled I will be happy to get back to maintaining it, though. Been in this house 25 years, so I think yanking everything out and starting over is not a complete boondoggle in and of itself, but I did choose one of the most expensive outfits to do it. But he does amazing work.

Something that you will enjoy for years, and ultimately will contribute to the resale of your home. Totally worth getting the best outfit to do it assuming they give superior results!

Ginny 01-21-2019 06:19 AM

A week in NO for the Jazz & Heritage Festival in May with friends. One more completion from the bucket list.

Bestwifeever 01-21-2019 08:34 AM

DH turned 70 last month and we now will pay a snow-removal company $35 per visit to take care of our sidewalks, stairs, and short driveway. DH honestly loves shoveling snow and will still do the backyard deck and short pathways, but it’s time. We both worked through Saturday’s snow and it was a workout for sure.

Nick12 01-21-2019 09:20 AM

My parents who are seniors recently bought an $11k Generac generator that powers the whole house in case of a power outage. Money well spent for piece of mind and increases resale value of the home.

W2R 01-22-2019 06:53 PM

I feel like I have been spending like a drunken sailor this month! So I just looked at my spending log, and here is some of the extra spending that stands out:

$277 for a big box of grass fed beef steaks that I am enjoying ;D
$215 for video games + accessories, and non-gaming software
$200 for clothes from Lands End

This adds up! Almost $700 total, and deliveries about every other day all month.

And then, there's quarterly estimated taxes plus my usual spending.
Blow That Dough!
:dance:

Winemaker 01-22-2019 08:22 PM

DW picked out an Ethan Allen all leather couch with full protection plan on leather for just under $3500. Sure beats the $16,000 Natuzzi!

W2R 01-22-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2177331)
DW picked out an Ethan Allen all leather couch with full protection plan on leather for just under $3500. Sure beats the $16,000 Natuzzi!

Good job! And now you have $12,500 left over to blow on other stuff, should you be so inclined... ;D