Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! - 2019 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2019-a-95591.html)

aja8888 09-27-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBAustin (Post 2303139)
Enjoyed my annual "blow that dough" lunch of steamed hard crabs FedEx'd in from Crisfield, MD, along with a nice cold beer. Actually I only cracked 4 of the dozen (and saved the jumbo lumps for a dinner this weekend - DH thinks cracking crabs is too much work). I decided a few years ago to do this each fall as the crabs are big and generally on sale, and it's a birthday present to myself.

MB, what shop did you order the crabs from? I may order some for my BDay in a week or so. :coolsmiley:

Walt34 09-27-2019 03:48 PM

Not exactly the last of the big spenders here, but a few days ago I bought a Milwaukee electric caulking gun. I'd heard of such things before but figured they were really only of reasonable value to someone working in a trade that requires that you apply lots of caulking, like a guy who installs windows for a living. Or maybe if you own a wooden boat.

I've discovered another category that the marketing people have so far neglected, and that is boomer DIY guys who are not yet ready to hang up their toolboxes and who have developed arthritis in their hands. I made this discovery a few weeks ago when I went to squeeze the trigger on my trusty Hechinger's brand caulking gun (Washington, D.C. area old-timers will recognize that name) and I let out a "YEOW!" followed by a string that if written here would get me sent traveling.

It's a nice caulking gun. I already had the batteries and charger for other tools so I bought the tool only. A neat feature is that when you let off the trigger it automatically "backs off" the plunger a bit, maybe 1/8" so the caulk won't continue to flow after you let off the trigger and make a mess. Anyone who has ever used a caulking gun will know what I mean. And even if you have arthritic hands it's easy to use.

pb4uski 09-27-2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dm (Post 2302924)
Haven’t done it yet, but we are planning on selling our current home and buying one on the water. The new house will cost twice what our home sold for when we were working.

So much for downsizing.

Next will be a boat.

Just came in from an hour-long pontoon boat ride/cocktail cruise/social hour around the lake with two other couples that are neighbors.... beautiful fall afternoon.... all part of the lakefront lifestyle that we pay a handsome premium for.

RobbieB 09-27-2019 06:38 PM

Got me a pound of sushi grade salmon and a pound of swordfish fresh from Catalina Offshore in today on FedEx. Gonna be a nice weekend!

athena53 09-28-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2302977)
Wow!!! That's a staggering amount of dough to blow for the room and dinner, Athena, but what a rewarding way to spend money.

Sounds like your little granddaughter had the time of her life. :)

Yeah, it was a bit of a ripoff. I'd redeemed Hilton points the first 2 visits. This time I didn't have enough. I thought I could use points to pay for one night and cash for the second but the room with the runway view was a $7/night "upgrade" but required 128,000 points for one night instead of 50,000. My granddaughter LOVES the view of the airport, which we got by chance the first time and by choosing the room on check-in the second. Hilton has been allowing its properties to call some pretty ordinary rooms "premium" and require insane amounts of points to redeem. Paying for more points that I needed would have cost almost as much as paying cash for both nights. Next time I should have 100K points and will take my chances.

We did economize in 2 places: used the subway/bus in and out of the city instead of Uber (she LOVED the subway) and had a "picnic" in the room for dinner the second night, with her leftover pizza from the previous night and a sandwich I got from the gift shop.

pb4uski 09-28-2019 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2303367)
.... We did economize in 2 places: used the subway/bus in and out of the city instead of Uber (she LOVED the subway) and had a "picnic" in the room for dinner the second night, with her leftover pizza from the previous night and a sandwich I got from the gift shop.

If you keep writing stuff like this ^^^^ we will need to throw you out of this thread.... in case you forgot, this is the Blow That Dough! - 2019 thread.... what were you thinking? :laugh:

pb4uski 09-28-2019 06:25 AM

We decided to splurge and buy two new cellphones... his and hers... same model so I can more easily help DW when she gets stuck on something... even though my phone was working perfectly fine (he had issues and needed to be replaced).

So we stopped at BestBuy whille shopping for phones and saw one that was $200.... so we planned to spend $400 for two phones.

When we stopped at a different Best Buy in a no sales tax state the next day to buy them they were on sale for $140 each... so only $280 for two phones... saving $120!... so I'm not sure that splurge now qualifies.

But it is the thought that counts, right?

FreeBear 09-28-2019 10:38 AM

Going to Greece next near, maybe should save this for the 2020 thread, but too excited. Over 3 grand for 2 in cattle class. Will stay at least 3 weeks. Will be out on a island. Rental car from the airport, eating in outdoor cafe, sleep with ocean view, kayaking on the ocean, more eating, sleeping, repeat! Will probably basecamp in one village for a week and drive on day trips or go with a local guide for kayaking and other fun. Then check out a few other waterfront villages for several day each. All on one big island. In retirement we’ve been several days per stop; tired of all the running around we did when w*rking.

pacergal 09-28-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckelly78z (Post 2302933)
I have a daughter getting married in 2 weeks, all of my $$ have been spoken for !

Congratulations to you and your daughter. Hope you have a lovely wedding!

Christine 09-28-2019 11:33 AM

I'm visiting my mum and we talked about when she was 16 years old and worked in the kitchen of a hotel. She said it would be nice to visit that place again.

So I booked us a weekend there and to prove she's no kitchen help any more I booked us a mini suite each. It was a wonderful weekend. We traveled by car and went sightseeing for a few hours but the rest of the time just enjoyed the hotel, the nice balconies of the suites and almost everything else on offer.

So worth it!

GravitySucks 09-28-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2303141)
Good for you!

Besides it's much cheaper to send the east coast fish to wherever you are than to send yourself to the East Coast.

Yes, but those lobsters pulled from the Maine waters the day you eat them is worth the trip.

RobbieB 09-28-2019 01:29 PM

As a fisherman, I agree! Swimming in the morning, supper in the evening - :) Yup, the best!

MBAustin 09-28-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2303159)
MB, what shop did you order the crabs from? I may order some for my BDay in a week or so. :coolsmiley:

CrabPlace They are in Crisfield, MD, right in the middle of crab country. I've been quite happy with the larger sizes, not so much with the smaller.

FYI, the best crab cakes are from G&M Restaurant. I generally don't order them online because I make a trip to MD once a year and I get a box of several (uncooked) packed to travel as my second checked bag on Southwest (they're very close to BWI).

aja8888 09-28-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBAustin (Post 2303595)
CrabPlace They are in Crisfield, MD, right in the middle of crab country. I've been quite happy with the larger sizes, not so much with the smaller.

FYI, the best crab cakes are from G&M Restaurant. I generally don't order them online because I make a trip to MD once a year and I get a box of several (uncooked) packed to travel as my second checked bag on Southwest.

Thanks for the links! :)

explanade 09-29-2019 09:27 AM

Thinking of splurging for new Apple Watch Series 5.

But the current one I have, I don't wear all the time and I mainly use it to control the volume or skip ahead on podcasts.

It's also too slow to run many third-party apps. so maybe if I spend $400 or more, I would use it more.

It would be pure splurge.

GravitySucks 09-29-2019 10:14 AM

DW and I accidently ate at G&M once. It became our regular crab cake stop anytime we drove within 50 miles of there. I don't make it down that way anymore, Glad to hear it's still good.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MBAustin (Post 2303595)

FYI, the best crab cakes are from G&M Restaurant. I generally don't order them online because I make a trip to MD once a year and I get a box of several (uncooked) packed to travel as my second checked bag on Southwest (they're very close to BWI).

MarieIG 09-29-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBear (Post 2303490)
Going to Greece next near, maybe should save this for the 2020 thread, but too excited. Over 3 grand for 2 in cattle class. Will stay at least 3 weeks. Will be out on a island. Rental car from the airport, eating in outdoor cafe, sleep with ocean view, kayaking on the ocean, more eating, sleeping, repeat! Will probably basecamp in one village for a week and drive on day trips or go with a local guide for kayaking and other fun. Then check out a few other waterfront villages for several day each. All on one big island. In retirement we’ve been several days per stop; tired of all the running around we did when w*rking.

Which big Island are you visiting? Crete, Rhodes, Corfu, or another? (My son is currently in Greece.) We are thinking of doing something similar in 2020; but due to family needs, it may be postponed to 2021.

jcretire77 09-30-2019 07:03 AM

Finally replacing twenty year old living room furniture for two Ekornes Stressless love seats and two recliners with ottomans. Trip to Phoenix in a month for DW 55 and over National tennis event followed by four days of golf at Wigwam which is near and was where we had our honeymoon. Being lazy and bought the unlimited play. Previous visit played 18 holes twice a day for five days. We were younger then :)

pb4uski 09-30-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySucks (Post 2303826)
DW and I accidently ate at G&M once. It became our regular crab cake stop anytime we drove within 50 miles of there. I don't make it down that way anymore, Glad to hear it's still good.

DW and I had a cancelled flight out of BWI.... so we got a nearby hotel room for the night. Needed to eat so we googled and G&M popped up so we went there.... loved it.

FreeBear 09-30-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarieIG (Post 2303834)
Which big Island are you visiting? Crete, Rhodes, Corfu, or another? (My son is currently in Greece.) We are thinking of doing something similar in 2020; but due to family needs, it may be postponed to 2021.

Cephelonia or Milos, shoulder season. Was looking at Santorini, but the cost and crowds turned me away. I hate dealing with the logistics, so we’ll pick single island and camp out for a few weeks, maybe with 1-2 moves at most. Don’t need to see anything famous either, so probably minimal time in Athens. Just want to sit in cafes, and kayak and drive around as much as we want.

Which islands do you enjoy??