Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! - 2019 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2019-a-95591.html)

Ronstar 09-30-2019 01:50 PM

Ordered a beverage center this morning. On my way to pick it up.

Freedom56 09-30-2019 06:14 PM

Flew to Toronto with my wife over the weekend first class (Air Canada 787 Dreamliner from LAX) to pick up my wife's Obgyn prescriptions from a Costco pharmacy in Toronto. The savings(one year supply) more than covered the entire trip. Even better was our prescription from last November still had refills and was valid so we didn't have to renew the prescription with a doctor in Canada this time. We don't mind stimulating the Canadian economy at the expense of greedy pharmaceutical companies and CVS Caremark. It costs $394 per month to fill the prescription here versus $15.85 per month in Canada using the brand name drug in both cases. The generic version would cost $244 per month here. The drug is pretty common and has been around for decades. We also enjoyed some fine dinners in Toronto.

Kwirk 09-30-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBear (Post 2304170)
...and drive around as much as we want.

I have fond memories of driving in Greece. Now that was an adventure! ;D

explanade 10-01-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freedom56 (Post 2304322)
Flew to Toronto with my wife over the weekend first class (Air Canada 787 Dreamliner from LAX) to pick up my wife's Obgyn prescriptions from a Costco pharmacy in Toronto. The savings(one year supply) more than covered the entire trip. Even better was our prescription from last November still had refills and was valid so we didn't have to renew the prescription with a doctor in Canada this time. We don't mind stimulating the Canadian economy at the expense of greedy pharmaceutical companies and CVS Caremark. It costs $394 per month to fill the prescription here versus $15.85 per month in Canada using the brand name drug in both cases. The generic version would cost $244 per month here. The drug is pretty common and has been around for decades. We also enjoyed some fine dinners in Toronto.

Will they fill prescriptions from US doctors?

Freedom56 10-04-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2304806)
Will they fill prescriptions from US doctors?

No. Last year we took the US doctor prescription to a walk in clinic and had the doctor write up the US doctor prescription with double dose. That cost us $50 cash (CDN). Costco allows you to fill 6 months up in Canada and which gave us one year supply with refills this year. Last year we filled it in November. This year we filled it at the end of September. Both times we were at the Costco in North York, there were many people from the US doing exactly the same thing we were doing. For Costco it's an easy cash business without having to process insurance claims. It's 100% legal in Canada. We are under the $800 US customs limit so no issue there either. Plus US Customs are allowing people to cross the border to fill there prescription. They are fully aware of the issue with pharma drug pricing.

tmm99 10-04-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freedom56 (Post 2306205)
No. Last year we took the US doctor prescription to a walk in clinic and had the doctor write up the US doctor prescription with double dose. That cost us $50 cash (CDN). Costco allows you to fill 6 months up in Canada and which gave us one year supply with refills this year. Last year we filled it in November. This year we filled it at the end of September. Both times we were at the Costco in North York, there were many people from the US doing exactly the same thing we were doing. For Costco it's an easy cash business without having to process insurance claims. It's 100% legal in Canada. We are under the $800 US customs limit so no issue there either. Plus US Customs are allowing people to cross the border to fill there prescription. They are fully aware of the issue with pharma drug pricing.

What did you say to the Canadian doc to make that happen? "I'm trying to save money because the drugs are so expensive in the US?"

TromboneAl 10-04-2019 07:39 PM

I'm gearing myself up to buy a Tesla.

REWahoo 10-04-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TromboneAl (Post 2306286)

You plan on paying cash or charging it? ;D

NW-Bound 10-04-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwirk (Post 2304362)
I have fond memories of driving in Greece. Now that was an adventure! ;D

Did you drive like dis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADSi8YOduMQ

Kwirk 10-04-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2306305)
Did you drive like dis?

:laugh: I didnít have quite that much fun. But I can say for certain that 2 cars side by side in a 2 lane road with an oncoming truck wouldnít have been seen as a problem: everybody adjusts a bit and goes on their way. Shoulders are (or were) de facto lanes in Greece.

Freedom56 10-05-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmm99 (Post 2306279)
What did you say to the Canadian doc to make that happen? "I'm trying to save money because the drugs are so expensive in the US?"

We showed him the prescription from the US Obgyn and explained that we wanted it filled in Canada and wanted a one year supply. The doctor spoke to my wife and actually took her vitals and discussed how long she has been taking the medication. Then he wrote out the prescription with a dosage of twice per week versus once per week. That was it. We have no issue paying for medication at a fair price, but $4750 per year vs $185 for the exact same medication is a little too hard to accept. When you buy from a retail pharmacy in Canada like Costco, you have assurances that the medication is legit.

TromboneAl 10-05-2019 06:09 PM

Both (groan).
Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 2306290)
You plan on paying cash or charging it? ;D

RobbieB 10-05-2019 07:00 PM

Yeah Baby! Write that big check, it's fun!

Moemg 10-05-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TromboneAl (Post 2306286)

Where are you hiding the real T AL ?:)

W2R 10-05-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moemg (Post 2306756)
Where are you hiding the real T AL ?:)

:2funny: That's what I was thinking, too!

tmm99 10-05-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freedom56 (Post 2306431)
We showed him the prescription from the US Obgyn and explained that we wanted it filled in Canada and wanted a one year supply. The doctor spoke to my wife and actually took her vitals and discussed how long she has been taking the medication. Then he wrote out the prescription with a dosage of twice per week versus once per week. That was it. We have no issue paying for medication at a fair price, but $4750 per year vs $185 for the exact same medication is a little too hard to accept. When you buy from a retail pharmacy in Canada like Costco, you have assurances that the medication is legit.

Wow, a huge difference in price! OMG!

NW-Bound 10-06-2019 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freedom56 (Post 2306431)

If we had a true free market, the above price difference would not happen.

The above price ratio of 25x is a lot more than the average as reported in the following article, which says 16x between the US and India.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ore-for-drugs/

Scuba 10-09-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBear (Post 2304170)
Cephelonia or Milos, shoulder season. Was looking at Santorini, but the cost and crowds turned me away. I hate dealing with the logistics, so weíll pick single island and camp out for a few weeks, maybe with 1-2 moves at most. Donít need to see anything famous either, so probably minimal time in Athens. Just want to sit in cafes, and kayak and drive around as much as we want.

Which islands do you enjoy??

We loved Milos but were only there 4 nights. Itís a pretty small island. Have you considered Naxos? We spent a week there and could have been happy staying for much longer. Stayed at a great Air BnB right on Playa for around $350 for 7 nights. Not fancy but well-located, safe and clean.

FreeBear 10-09-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba (Post 2308196)
We loved Milos but were only there 4 nights. Itís a pretty small island. Have you considered Naxos? We spent a week there and could have been happy staying for much longer. Stayed at a great Air BnB right on Playa for around $350 for 7 nights. Not fancy but well-located, safe and clean.

Glad you loved Milos. Will plan to go eventually. Smaller is fine with us. Saves time running around. Will look into Naxos too.

One of the many appeals of the Greek isles, is the relatively low cost of food and lodging.

explanade 10-09-2019 05:33 PM

Santorini lodging isn't cheap is it?