Blow That Dough! - 2019

We're visiting GF's sister and hubby in the next province. She used to work for a high end bathroom/fireplace store and used her contacts to get me a shower pan, glass doors, and shower fixtures at dealer cost for my upcoming ensuite build. As thanks we took them out for supper last night then went to a couple different bars checking out the local bands. Food, drinks, and cover charges were on me...I spent about $400 last night.

$8400 on new roof and gutters on rental property purchased 20 years ago this month. Paid $78,000 in 1999, has grossed over $240,000! I'm 60 yo and if it needs another roof in 20 years, I'll be 1) dead 2) too senile to care 3) put another one on.

There were several posts by different people on the "Blow That Dough! - 2018" thread this week, that belonged on this thread instead. Maybe it was one of those? Either way, one of the mods or admins could move those posts and close that thread. I gave up my super-duper-admin powers so I can't do that stuff any more.

I really think I posted on the eat out or not thread.

$100 for a prime rib roast, cooked to perfection on the traeger for dinner with the kids today. Yum!

$100!

I have one in the freezer I will do on the new Traeger soon, but I think it only cost me $42.

I’m sure it’s much smaller.

Last edited:
We bought two ultra light canoes made of a kevlar and carbon fiber matrix.
Hers is 10'6" Wee Lassie 14 lbs
His is 13' 18 lbs
We both got carbon fiber kayak paddles for them which weigh 20 ounces.
The whole package was $4000
We've been paddling a 1929 Old Town canoe that weighs 71 lbs.
All we need now is for the ice and snow to melt off the lakes.

Oh! That sounds so nice. When you decide on one and buy it, I'd love to know all about it and what you think of it, especially the adjustable base. I'm not ready for a new mattress quite yet but have had mine 17+ years so probably I will be soon. So, I am interested in your choices because I am trying to figure out what would be best. In my case I would not be looking for "cheap" as much as for "wonderfully comfortable", so Temper-Pedic is not out of the question unless it gets too hot or is less than perfect for some other reason. The adjustable base sounds extremely interesting since I am growing older (who knew this would ever happen? :LOL: ). Anyway being able to tilt the bed might help with the aches and pains of aging or whatever, especially if the setup is high enough to be easy on the knees when getting in and out of bed.

I'll post an update afterwards. There's a flagship store in Walnut Creek, which is relatively close to me, and I've been able to test out various mattresses and the adjustable base....and they are very comfortable.

Just booked a trip to Iceland. Paid a bit more for exit row seats, and 4 of the 6 nights lodging are over $300/night. I hear food is really pricey there too.

Well, now I don't feel so guilty.

I've been looking for a good underwater camera but couldn't find one with consistently good reviews; many started with, "This camera worked really well till I used it under water..." On my last trip, the guides and several passengers on my cruise all had the Olympus Tough camera and loved it- in fact, I "borrowed" a couple of their underwater shots for my blog since I didn't have any equipment I could use on our snorkeling expeditions.

Today, just out of curiosity, I got on the Costco site to see if they had it. Of course they did- at a very good price compared to others I'd seen. The price was good only for 4 days. Of course! What the heck- I fell for it despite having had a couple of nasty minor financial shocks this month. It's on its way- for about $400 all-in, including some accessories included.

Gotta practice before I go to Hawaii in November!

Just called the HVAC guy and told them to go ahead with the install of the new high-efficiency 2-stage AC and furnace, if they'd throw in a wi-fi thermostat. I hate spending money on stuff like this, but I also like being warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

$6800 for new windows. Debating whether to spend $8900 on new landscaping...

Just called the HVAC guy and told them to go ahead with the install of the new high-efficiency 2-stage AC and furnace, if they'd throw in a wi-fi thermostat. I hate spending money on stuff like this, but I also like being warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
Getting my entire HVAC system replaced with a new Trane system, back in 2016, in my opinion has already been worth many times what it cost.

It's wonderful to be so perfectly comfortable always, even in our hot New Orleans summers. Besides, it uses less energy so my electric bills went down.

$6800 for new windows. Debating whether to spend $8900 on new landscaping...

What made you decide to get new windows? Was this a decorating decision, or did you do it to save energy, or was the glass getting fogged up, or what? "Enquiring minds want to know". Mainly, because I wonder if I need new windows and just don't know it yet because I don't understand what should trigger the decision to buy new windows. I regard you as being pretty sensible about things like buying windows.

What made you decide to get new windows? Was this a decorating decision, or did you do it to save energy, or was the glass getting fogged up, or what? "Enquiring minds want to know". Mainly, because I wonder if I need new windows and just don't know it yet because I don't understand what should trigger the decision to buy new windows. I regard you as being pretty sensible about things like buying windows.

Windows had already lost their seal when I moved in, nineteen years ago... [emoji15]

Basically, this finally rose to the top of the list.

Windows had already lost their seal when I moved in, nineteen years ago... [emoji15]

Basically, this finally rose to the top of the list.

Oh, OK!! Good to know what you were looking at when you made that decision. I think my windows still have their seal, so I am probably OK. Thanks.

Oh, OK!! Good to know what you were looking at when you made that decision. I think my windows still have their seal, so I am probably OK. Thanks.

My ROMEO group has several "well to do" retirees and they are now "doing the Jones thing" with each other on window replacements. The first one spent near $30K having ALL their windows replaced so that "when he is gone" his "DW would be safer" (I don't understand this logic). Now the next guy is having his windows replaced in order to "keep up" with the other guy.

Plus, another fellow in the group is getting quotes on mew windows since his are losing the plastic beveled fillers where the pane meets the trim (those are replaceable, BTW).

It's so funny as these houses came with great windows less than 20 years ago when built. No one has mentioned "energy savings" because many of us in the group can easily dispute that as a reason to get new windows.

On one person's new windows, squirrels are chewing on the plastic frames, literally destroying them. He can't get them to stop and is having a fit over this.:facepalm:

I've always read that, despite what most windows salespeople will tell you, it would take quite a few decades for even the most energy-efficient windows to pay for themselves, which is why window replacement is a tough decision, there's likely no clear savings advantage. We had window tinting professionally applied to the southern windows (which also happen to be the largest ones), and that helped us cope with the original early 1970s windows for a few years, but when we lost the screen for the bedroom window and I could not get a replacement frame made, I decided that it was time for the 40+ year old windows to be replaced....mostly so I could open the bedroom window on cool summer evenings. The fact that they are better insulated, do not need extra tinting, and open and close much more easily was all just a bonus.

I've always read that, despite what most windows salespeople will tell you, it would take quite a few decades for even the most energy-efficient windows to pay for themselves, which is why window replacement is a tough decision, there's likely no clear savings advantage.

I think that's true of most energy-saving moves- you never make up the original cost. I replaced most of my windows over a period of a few years because there was condensation between the panes, which we knew when we bought the 20-year-old house. We anticipated that in our offer, although naturally we didn't anticipate ENOUGH. I also replaced the curtains and blinds with plantation shutters after that. Not cheap at all, even from Costco, but some R-value in cold weather and it's going to significantly cut the sun load in the kitchen, which is the room I use most since I have my computer here.

My ROMEO group has several "well to do" retirees and they are now "doing the Jones thing" with each other on window replacements. The first one spent near $30K having ALL their windows replaced so that "when he is gone" his "DW would be safer" (I don't understand this logic).

Wow! We spent $8800 for all our middle-of-the-line windows, and they are double paned and argon filled. And like I said, we lived with those windows for over 15 years, at which time they were over 40 years old. But our house is not much over 2,000 sq. ft., it was 9 windows total, although some are fairly big.

Wow! We spent $8800 for all our middle-of-the-line windows, and they are double paned and argon filled. And like I said, we lived with those windows for over 15 years, at which time they were over 40 years old. But our house is not much over 2,000 sq. ft., it was 9 windows total, although some are fairly big.

That $30K window job was for over 30 windows and a french door (4,500 sq ft house). Crazy.

Unfortunately, all of my windows have condensation between the panes. The current windows are “functional”, I suppose, but detract from aesthetics/curb appeal, and by extension, the home’s value.

Not expecting any dramatic drop in the cost of utilities...

On one person's new windows, squirrels are chewing on the plastic frames, literally destroying them. He can't get them to stop and is having a fit over this.:facepalm:
What a nightmare! I'm glad I had all those very old/dying oak trees removed when I first bought this house. The squirrel population on my property went to almost zero after I did.
when we lost the screen for the bedroom window and I could not get a replacement frame made, I decided that it was time for the 40+ year old windows to be replaced....mostly so I could open the bedroom window on cool summer evenings.
I know many people like to sleep with the windows open, but I sleep better with them closed because I feel safer from intruders.
I think that's true of most energy-saving moves- you never make up the original cost.
That's for sure.
That $30K window job was for over 30 windows and a french door (4,500 sq ft house). Crazy.
Now, I could see getting my double French doors replaced because one of them is a "fake" door and isn't intended to open. So, although they look like double doors which could be useful for bringing large items into and out of the house, they aren't. But this is not really at the top of my list of fun things to pay for. And, if I converted them to true double doors, I'd have to figure out a foolproof way to ensure that they would never, ever blow open, even in hurricane conditions. That happened once with the double doors at my old house, during Hurricane Isaac when we were evacuated, and what a mess - - carpet, drywall, everything had to go.
Unfortunately, all of my windows have condensation between the panes. The current windows are “functional”, I suppose, but detract from aesthetics/curb appeal, and by extension, the home’s value.

Not expecting any dramatic drop in the cost of utilities...
I hate having that condensation, which was a problem at my old house but not here because my windows and French doors are all single paned.

I've always read that, despite what most windows salespeople will tell you, it would take quite a few decades for even the most energy-efficient windows to pay for themselves, which is why window replacement is a tough decision, there's likely no clear savings advantage.

Even though I know that the payback is very long when I replaced my windows a decade ago I went with triple pane. But, I live in a harsh winter climate and did it for the comfort factor...when it's -35 you can stand near the window and not feel a chill. A bonus is that they also block out a lot more noise than basic double panes.

A bonus is that they also block out a lot more noise than basic double panes.

Yes, triple pane windows are really great at sound protection, but obviously that comes at a high cost.

I've often read that it's overkill for most people unless they live close to a busy highway or noisy city street. But of course in your case the climate control is another very valuable feature so I think it makes sense where you live.

I'm debating it for when we get around to window replacement. Fairly close to a highway and also a busy hospital (sirens at all hours).

New windows all around is on our list too. Already replaced the big sliding glass door at $3800, seven more (much smaller) to go.

Back
Top Bottom