Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   FIRE and Money (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/)
-   -   Do you auto-pay your CC accounts? (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/do-you-auto-pay-your-cc-accounts-95910.html)

Cobra9777 01-25-2019 09:59 AM

Do you auto-pay your CC accounts?

Like many of you, I have all recurring bills on auto-pay using a cash-back CC, which works great. But for the CCs themselves, I still get a paper statement in the mail, and then manually schedule the payment using the bill-pay function from our checking account (Fidelity CMA).

So far I have avoided putting the CCs on auto-pay for various reasons (like fear of a big auto-pay error that empties my acct and takes time to correct... or fear that my routing/acct# gets compromised... or wanting to review the charges one last time... I already review them online every couple days). So I'm beginning to question the validity of those reasons vs the convenience of auto-pay. Plus I don't like the security aspect of paper statements arriving in the mailbox.

Also, at Fidelity, the bill-pay functionality includes an automated "push-pay" service called eBill, which sounds like a great idea. But only one of our three CCs supports eBill. For the other two, I'd still have to enter my routing number and account number on the CC company's website. Oddly, the Fidelity-branded Elan VISA is one of the cards that doesn't support eBill.

So question is: Do you use some form of auto-pay for your CC accounts? And if so, do you use a similar "push-pay" service or are you OK letting the CC company "pull" the payment from your bank?

Col. Klink 01-25-2019 10:06 AM

For CC accounts, I get the bills sent to me in .pdf format. I pay them using online banking but do not autopay them. Other stuff, like medical insurance, I do autopay

pb4uski 01-25-2019 10:09 AM

I have my CC bill scheduled on autopay... the CC provider pulls the full payment from my account on the scheduled date... been doing this for 7 years and have never had a problem.

In fact, I can't ever recall having an issue for any of my pull-type autopays other than recently when BCBS changed their account system and they pulled the right amount but didn't split the amount paid between my policy and DW's policy (prior to that change we were a small group of two).

Rianne 01-25-2019 10:11 AM

I do not auto pay CC, but pay at the end of the month to track spending for that month, online directly. Auto pay HC, dental, utilities.

CardsFan 01-25-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col. Klink (Post 2178914)
For CC accounts, I get the bills sent to me in .pdf format. I pay them using online banking but do not autopay them. Other stuff, like medical insurance, I do autopay

Ditto.

I would rather push a payment than let the CC (or anyone, actually) pull.

gwraigty 01-25-2019 10:13 AM

I get bills electronically for those that allow it, directly from the biller's websites. I pay bills by manually pushing from bill pay. Like you, I found that trying to get the ebills from bill pay was hit or miss, so I don't bother with that anymore.

audreyh1 01-25-2019 10:13 AM

I use auto pay for most when an ebill type option is available and I know the amount doesn’t usually exceed some number so I’ll have the funds to cover it. In these cases I don’t have to provide routing and account number as it’s handled within the billpay system.

For example, Bank of America receives ebills from American Express, Citi, and BofA credit cards. So those are automatically scheduled to pay the statement balance one day before due date. I leave enough in checking to cover them.

For the one that can vary most widely I could autopay, but I usually wait to see the statement and then manually schedule it too be sure I’ll have the funds available. Again this is handled in billpay and just requires a couple of clicks as they already know the amount.

I only have one credit card (Amazon store card) where I gave the routing information for autopay.

I’ve been auto paying credit card bills like this for well over a decade and never had a snafu - knock on wood!

I only get electronic statements for credit cards. No paper bills for me ever!

audreyh1 01-25-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra9777 (Post 2178910)
Also, at Fidelity, the bill-pay functionality includes an automated "push-pay" service called eBill, which sounds like a great idea. But only one of our three CCs supports eBill. For the other two, I'd still have to enter my routing number and account number on the CC company's website. Oddly, the Fidelity-branded Elan VISA is one of the cards that doesn't support eBill.

I get ebills for the Elan VISA at Fidelity although I don’t have that one as autopay since it can be quite large some months and I may need to move funds to cover it. It’s super easy to schedule billpay from Fidelity as they already know the amount and due date.

But on clicking on the billpay options when I schedule payment I thought I saw options for monthly autopay...... maybe that sends you over to the Elan site instead.

calmloki 01-25-2019 10:22 AM

I have the credit cards set to auto-pull payment in full each month. As soon as I know the amount it gets entered in Quicken so I know where my financial state is. If I have really big charges I sometimes prepay the bill, foregoing float.

Car-Guy 01-25-2019 10:23 AM

I have very few things on autopay, but most (not all) of my recurring bills are paid online/electronically. About the only things I pay by USMail are Sirius XM radio (I'll never give those guys my credit card or checking account number) and my gas credit card. (Believe it or not, I actually get a 10% discount if I pay by mail - long story)

Midpack 01-25-2019 10:24 AM

We autopay from our local bank checking, but they notify my accountant (DW) and she has to give them the go ahead. We've been doing it at least 10 years, never had a single incident of any kind with CC providers or the bank.

Sunset 01-25-2019 10:31 AM

Due to some folks here that pointed out some benefits, I now auto pay with my CC various regular subscription services example Netflix.
Then I have the credit card that does this , auto pay itself.

I have a couple more services to switch over, then when we travel, I will only have to be concerned about the actual credit cards I take with us on the trip, and not be concerned about paying other bills.

Simplification of life.

grasshopper 01-25-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calmloki (Post 2178928)
I have the credit cards set to auto-pull payment in full each month. As soon as I know the amount it gets entered in Quicken so I know where my financial state is. If I have really big charges I sometimes prepay the bill, foregoing float.

This is what I do paperless statements, downloads to Quicken, alerts on all my accounts. I get a text or email for all charges, all transfers, all international charges. There is a few seconds before I would get a text, and would be all over any fraud.

pb4uski 01-25-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grasshopper (Post 2178937)
.... There is a few seconds before I would get a text, and would be all over any fraud.

I recently bought a sectional at a local furniture store. When the sales associate ran my credit card I got a text with a notification before he got from the office back to me with the slip for me to sign.

Cobra9777 01-25-2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2178924)
I get ebills for the Elan VISA at Fidelity although I donít have that one as autopay since it can be quite large some months and I may need to move funds to cover it. Itís super easy to schedule billpay from Fidelity as they already know the amount and due date.

But on clicking on the billpay options when I schedule payment I thought I saw options for monthly autopay...... maybe that sends you over to the Elan site instead.

On the Fidelity bill-pay tab, any payee that is eligible for eBill has a link beside the name that says, "Sign Up For eBill." The Elan CC does not have that link. Although it has a link that says "Credit Card Overview." That just produces more links to pay various amounts using the standard bill-pay functionality. The links to auto-pay on the credit card tab, just take you to the Elan website where you would enter routing/acct#. Elan and Fidelity share data, but for some reason it's not eligible for eBill.

scrabbler1 01-25-2019 10:37 AM

I autopay my co-op maintenance, electric, and phone/internet/TV bills. The amounts are either fairly small and/or don't vary much from month to month. The co-op maintenance I use my bank's autopay where they mail a check to the managing agent's bank. If I used a different electronic payment method, I'd get charged.

The other two I use ACH where the two providers pull the money from my bank. I have been using that method for them for the last 20 years and never had a problem. It is very unlikely I will change any of those service providers.

My health insurance has a stable (albeit increasing) amount I have to pay. But because the chance I will change HI providers is not tiny like with my co-op or electric or combo package, I don't autopay them but use ACH so they can pull the money at my initiation.

My CC is from the same bank I do my banking with, so pulling versus pushing the money is moot. I don't autopay it because the amount can vary significantly from month; if it is really high, beyond my checking account's cushion, I may pay it from my second-tier EF, or at least wait until the end of the grace period. So I want to retain monthly control over it.

I get paper statements for all bills except for the co-op maintenance, which I get via email. That began when I began the autopay. I print out only the January bill when the amounts change.

Other non-monthly bills, such as car/home insurance and medical bills, I pay on line using either my CC if they allow it, or using ACH pull.

RetireAge50 01-25-2019 10:39 AM

All bills including credit cards are automatically pulled from checking. I do nothing but monitor the balances and activity.

grasshopper 01-25-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb4uski (Post 2178940)
I recently bought a sectional at a local furniture store. When the sales associate ran my credit card I got a text with a notification before he got from the office back to me with the slip for me to sign.

I quit having Ms.G call when she is on the way back home, I just tell to put gas in the truck.

kaneohe 01-25-2019 10:45 AM

I have had multiple cc on autopay for a decade or more and love the convenience. There is some limited overdraft protection on the acct so that if I forget to provide enough funds, the bills are still paid. No problems at all with the credit card accts. despite the worst case fears of things that could go wrong. The month end statements always come in time so you can review before they payments are made.

I have only had 2 problems (none involving credit cards)

1)My drug prescription plan is on autopay w/ Humana, Used to be just $20/mo. One month a few hundred dollars disappeared. Humana seemed to have a so-what attitude about it so I got credit union to intervene. I just had to fill out a form and soon money was back in acct.

2)I have a few mutual funds where the monthly income is deposited into checking account. One month money went the other way, reduced acct balance to 0, and caused a bunch of checks to be bounced w/ resulting fees.
Seems that someone at the fund company for some reason thought I wanted to auto-invest in the fund. When they recognized the error, it was immediately fixed, and the credit union waived all the bounced check fees .

If you think you are perfect and nobody else is, there is the convenience price that will have to be paid.........so I take the risk and get the convenience.
Overdraft protection is a nice backup feature.

kgtest 01-25-2019 10:57 AM

I autopay the min to avoid any possible ding to credit for missed payment, and on the day its due just logon, look things over quick and make the full balance payment (I ain't giving anyone a dime before it's actually due).

cathy63 01-25-2019 11:00 AM

Your routing/acct# info is not exactly a secret, so I don't get the worry over having it compromised. You give it away every time you write a check or pay a bill from your bank account.

I do have two of our three CCs on auto-pay. I review the statements online when I get an email saying they're available, then I enter the payment amount in Quicken with the future date so I'll notice if I don't get a downloaded transaction that matches up to it later on. That's never happened though. It's been years now, and every payment has gone through automatically, on the correct date, and for the correct amount.

The third CC is the one we use for most of our everyday expenses and all the auto-pay bills that can be paid by credit card. The only reason I don't auto-pay that one is because if we made a large purchase one month I might have to transfer more money into the checking account to cover it. Initiating the payment manually is a safeguard to make sure I look at both numbers when I pay it.

The way I protect myself against ACH errors is
1) pay bills from a checking account that is at a different institution than our investments
2) only keep enough funds in the checking account to cover a month or two of expenses

I've never once experienced an ACH error, but I know they can happen, and this way the maximum amount at risk is the amount at that bank. The institution that holds our investment accounts would be happy to give us check writing privileges and overdraft protection linked to those accounts, but I would never want that. I'd be too worried that the one-in-a-trillion ACH error would happen to us and they'd sell off all our investments to cover it before they figured it out.

audreyh1 01-25-2019 11:14 AM

I opened a couple of accounts at Chase Bank a couple of years ago, because of their $500 bonus. And I decided that it would be convenient for autopaying the several Chase credit cards we had. Plus my brother banked there and I hoped for easy transfers to his account.

Well, the Chase credit card autopay has been super convenient, so it's been worth it just for that.

However, otherwise not really happy with them. I can't do transfers to my brother's account directly like I can with BofA for my other brother which works beautifully. Chase forces you to use Zelle for transfers, and Zelle has a $2000 transfer limit!

Also, they limit you to $5000 for mobile deposit!

So I've ended up walking into the branch to make a deposit into my brother's account bypassing their checking entirely.

Pretty much just using them to autopay our Chase credit cards now.

Jerry1 01-25-2019 11:24 AM

Yes, DW handles, but she has the CC on autopay but then gets a printed (mailed) statement and reconciles it. No problems so far. I’m trying to convince her to just download the statement but I haven’t been successful yet. If it were me, I’d just check the account under transactions and know that all is okay. Oh well, I don’t intrude on jobs that aren’t mine.

audreyh1 01-25-2019 11:25 AM

The billpay type pulling errors I've heard about are:

1) Some health insurance company in some other state (Florida?) a couple of years ago pulled multiple times from clients accounts causing all sorts of mayhem.

2) Last January our county did multiple pulls from owner accounts for property taxes. They were using a standard system used by counties and municipalities all over the US, so it wasn't them specifically, but their eCheck provider. One of our neighbors was fit to be tied! Understandably.

audreyh1 01-25-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry1 (Post 2178998)
Yes, DW handles, but she has the CC on autopay but then gets a printed (mailed) statement and reconciles it. No problems so far. Iím trying to convince her to just download the statement but I havenít been successful yet. If it were me, Iíd just check the account under transactions and know that all is okay. Oh well, I donít intrude on jobs that arenít mine.

I do reconcile receipts and then shred all the ones that don't need to be saved for warranty or tax or health insurance purposes.

In my computer calendar, I have entered the dates of when to expect a statement (recurring monthly) from each credit card. Between that and the email that most (all?) send when the statement is available, I can keep in sync. I download the statement and then go through my receipts comparing the statement and Quicken. Then I reconcile in Quicken and most of the receipts go into the shred pile. Been doing it that way for years and it's pretty fast and minimized paper.

Most credit cards are good about emailing me a few days before a payment is due.

RunningBum 01-25-2019 11:33 AM

I auto-pay everything I can, including credit cards. I get text notifications on a couple cards, and check PenFed pretty regularly for fraud.

foxfirev5 01-25-2019 11:42 AM

I pay as many bills as possible using auto pay with the Fido cash back card. However I manually enter the credit card payment from Fido bill pay. This due to occasional theft of the cc number. Since I already check the charges on a regular basis it's no big deal to make a payment with a couple of clicks.

Sunset 01-25-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgtest (Post 2178972)
I autopay the min to avoid any possible ding to credit for missed payment, and on the day its due just logon, look things over quick and make the full balance payment (I ain't giving anyone a dime before it's actually due).

I used to do that, it works great, until something screws up like forgetting, on a trip, internet is down at home, too busy, etc.

I still do that for the odd CC , especially my new CC's that I won't keep and are making large purchases on.
I also like the "trick" of pre-paying early enough to be sure there is no missed payment at a minimum.

My Chase auto pay of CC does that on the day it's due, and I get an alert telling me the payment amount. It works well.

razztazz 01-25-2019 11:45 AM

Mine are set for auto-pay only in case I am in the hospital someday with some outstanding charges. I always login to my account 2 or 3 days after the charge and pay directly.

kgtest 01-25-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 2179015)
I used to do that, it works great, until something screws up like forgetting, on a trip, internet is down at home, too busy, etc.

I still do that for the odd CC , especially my new CC's that I won't keep and are making large purchases on.
I also like the "trick" of pre-paying early enough to be sure there is no missed payment at a minimum.

My Chase auto pay of CC does that on the day it's due, and I get an alert telling me the payment amount. It works well.

DW would never let me forget lol. Every 15th of the month like clock work bills get paid. Works well for us and keeps the balance. Good to login 2x once to pay it and once to make sure it got paid (check the math)

jazz4cash 01-25-2019 12:22 PM

I manually push payments from checking account. I generally get an email with account balance and schedule full payment on due date from my phone. It takes 20 seconds. I do review the bill line by line but I also get email notice for every charge as they are posted.
The terminology here seems inconsistent: push, pull, autopay, billpay, etc. I consider ebill to be an invoice system. If I elect to receive them, they show up in my online banking. I can pay various amounts or pay some other way and still get paper and/or email bills too.

Katsmeow 01-25-2019 12:24 PM

For CCs, I pay online but don't do auto pay. I check my charges regularly and often pay during the month rather than when I get a statement. When I get a statement (online), I do go ahead and pay. I have alerts set up on my credit cards so I know when charges are made above a certain amount and know when there is a bill. For a long time, I got paper bills also in case I didn't notice a bill online but eventually I got rid of the paper statements because I had reduced the number of credit cards so it is easy to remember to check them.

W2R 01-25-2019 12:28 PM

For many years I didn't have a credit card other than one for work, which was strictly limited to US government expenses and never for personal use. I didn't want a personal credit card because I abhor debt.

But then the ER Forum led me to "the dark side" - - five years ago I got the Amazon Visa card after reading about it here, and that is my only credit card.

I have it set to auto-pay in full every month by automatic deduction from my checking account. I like this because I don't have to rely on my very imperfect memory to make sure I pay on time. Chase manages the credit card for Amazon, and I have no complaints about their autopay.

I still detest the idea of owing money to anybody but I guess this is almost like being debt free. I love spending the rewards on Amazon.

SumDay 01-25-2019 12:51 PM

I've used auto pay for all my CC's for years, because I don't like late fees. The older I get, the more I think this is a good idea for me. I've never had a problem.

ALL our bills are auto paid in one form or another. I write one check a month - to church. I want them to get the full contribution. And I like throwing something in the basket.

CardsFan 01-25-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgtest (Post 2178972)

Bold by me.

I understand the sentiment, but last month my interest on the checking account was 57 cents. Not too worried about paying early and losing a dime. More concerned about forgetting and paying late, which cost $50 or so (with late payment penalty and interest).

bobandsherry 01-25-2019 03:34 PM

I've had my CC accounts all setup to auto pay full balance for what seems like forever. Never and issue and I never have to worry about missing a payment accidentally and paying a couple months of interest and late feedue to vacation, illness or just being plain dumb. Well worth it for me.

karen1972 01-25-2019 03:35 PM

I auto pay everything including credit cards, I let them pull it and pay in full.

I use to have one card that I would push pay and then I ended up going out of the country unexpected for work and forgot to pay, came home and switched it to auto-pay.

Its just routine now, get the email, download the statement into quicken, reconcile, enter the payment, and check my balance. I've never had any issues with it, though I only keep enough money in that account to cover 1 month of bills at a time.

Rustic23 01-25-2019 03:37 PM

Credit Cards are auto payed on the last day not to incur a penalty. Have for at least 5 years with no problems. Every time a card is charged I and DW get an email and text. That is how we check charges.

Dawg52 01-25-2019 03:52 PM

I started auto paying cc not long ago. Although I had reminders set up to pay online this is just easier. I review my acct 2-3 times a month plus look at my monthly online statement for bogus charges. I think I have most everything on auto pay now except condo fees.

FireFool 01-25-2019 03:57 PM

Nearly everything that can be auto-paid I do. My first choice is to have it drawn against a rebate credit card, but if they don't support that, or charge extra for CC's I'll usually allow them to pull ACH's from my checking account. I'd never allow a gym or other tiny businesses to auto pull from checking though - I don't trust their systems security capabilities, but I have no qualms about the major CC companies doing so. I still have them send paper bills that I review the charges and record in my checking account. The one e-bill that I was forced to do by my electric company in order to autopay with a credit card I'll admit gets very little monthly review and that's the primary reason I don't have other bills e-mailed - I need the paper prompt to do the scan of the charges put through. I never have to worry about late payments, and when I'm traveling I don't have to log on to any of my financial accounts on public/semi-public (e.g. rental condos) wi-fi's to pay any bills.

I've been auto-paying accounts for well over two decades at this point and have never had any problems.

steelyman 01-25-2019 04:00 PM

I auto pay everything I can on the due date in full, have done so for years. Iíve had only one instance that didnít work and in that case it was the payee whoíd been authorized to pull the monthly payment from my credit union checking account mistakenly taking it from my savings account. That generated a NSF charge but a call to the credit union got that removed.

Credit card auto pays have worked perfectly.

Apart from that, the more things I can have on autopilot, the happier I am.

AnneG 01-25-2019 04:06 PM

I have everything set up on auto-pay. If a bill will take a CC then I set that up. Otherwise, it comes directly out of checking on the due date. I've never had an issue. I did have one CC that wouldn't let me autopay the statement balance and after forgetting one payment and incurring a late fee, I set it up to autopay $100 should I forget to go in and set the correct amount. Otherwise, it's worked flawlessly. I hate paying bills! It's probably my least favorite chore, so autopay makes it a lot less painful.

REWahoo 01-25-2019 04:11 PM

No, I do not auto-pay CC accounts.

I do auto-pay all my recurring expenses (electric, ISP, garbage, etc.) via a charge to a CC, and take the opportunity to review all charges when I get my monthly CC e-statement. When I am satisfied all charges are legit, I use my bank's bill pay software to set up payment in full a day or two before the due date.

FireFool 01-25-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razztazz (Post 2179016)
Mine are set for auto-pay only in case I am in the hospital someday with some outstanding charges. I always login to my account 2 or 3 days after the charge and pay directly.

My reaction to this was "but why", but when it comes to finances everyone has their own way of doing things so if this is what makes you comfortable that's great. Someone else in this thread talked about not having any credit cards until recently getting a Chase Amazon, because they abhorred debt and only recently "fell into the dark side". I've never really consider my monthly credit card(s) balance as debt because it gets paid in full every month and never incurs any interest charges. I have multiple rebate credit cards to maximize my rebates. I also can't comprehend having only one and thus traveling with only one credit card, worrying about if one were ever to be frozen/locked. When traveling overseas I also carry two different banks ATM cards, again worrying about not having access to cash when needed. Those admittedly are my oddities/financial insecurities.

I think being an early retirement forum we might bias towards people that may live their lives overly conservatively - but again if that's what's allowed people to retire all the more power. For me I try to auto pay everything and all of them are set up to pay the prior monthly balance in full exactly on the due date. Since it's auto pay through the respective institutions if they were ever to be late it would have been a function of that institutions systems problems and they'd have to waive the late fees. That being said in doing this for decades I've never had a problem ever.

razztazz 01-25-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireFool (Post 2179191)
My reaction to this was "but why".......

..... Since it's auto pay through the respective institutions if they were ever to be late it would have been a function of that institutions systems problems and they'd have to waive the late fees. That being said in doing this for decades I've never had a problem ever.

Why do I do it this way? Because what I really want is the bill cleared immediately. That's why I only have the auto-pay in case of incapacitation. I see no reason to let bills linger and linger knowing they'll be paid.

Yes, I have been doing this forever and have never had anything approaching even a tiny non-problem-problem. I really do not understand other people's problems with it. As well as the hang-ups some have about debit cards. But I would not lecture them about it because, as you say, this kind of forum tends to pull in belt-and-suspenders types. If there's something you can make safer, you'll probably do it.

DeborahB 01-25-2019 05:00 PM

I have nay CC and all other bills paid in full monthly through Ally. I set up an automatic transfer from Ally savings to checking to cover it.

harllee 01-25-2019 05:02 PM

I autopay everything except my credit cards. There are a couple of reasons I like don't autopay the credit cards--First, I like to closely review all the charges on the credit card before I authorize payment. I have found a few errors over the years--some fraudulent charges and a few double payments. The other reason I don't autopay my credit cards is that sometimes my credit card bills are very large, like this month I owe about $10,000 on one credit card (put part of my car purchase on my credit card to get the cash back). I don't keep that much in my checking and I have to transfer some funds into my checking account from a money market account and I don't want an autopay to hit before I get the transfers complete.

big-papa 01-25-2019 06:05 PM

I autopay only a few things via pull. Mainly utilities. I autopay via auto push for those items that never change like my mortgage. For the rest, I do a manual push from my checking account, including the credit card.

Cobra9777 01-25-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathy63 (Post 2178976)
Your routing/acct# info is not exactly a secret, so I don't get the worry over having it compromised. You give it away every time you write a check or pay a bill from your bank account...

cathy, can you perhaps elaborate on the bolded part? A check, I understand; it's printed at the bottom. But on an electronic bill-pay??... Are you suggesting that I provide my bank's routing#/account# to the vendor every time I pay them using electronic bill-pay?

Golden sunsets 01-25-2019 07:06 PM

Ditto on autopay pulls for our credit cards -full payment of course. Weíve arranged that all 4 of the cards that we use cut off on the 28th of the month, to match month end periods as closely as possible. Pulls on all autopays occur on the 25th of the following month. I review charges long before the payment date to ensure that charges are legit.

Any bill that I can arrange autopay to a cc rather than checking, I charge to cc rather than a pull. Some utilities charge a fee for cc charge, so those are a pull from checking.

I recently removed one bill from autopay out of pure irritation. AT&T wireless recently changed their autopay billing from, date of bill due, to 3 days after bill invoice date, causing two bills the first month of the change. I was so irritated with this change that I took the our account off autopay. But I now have to arrange for the push, which Iíd prefer to automate, so I may relent soon.

Dtail 01-25-2019 07:08 PM

I only have 4 CC all at BOA. I pay them off each month end through the online transfer process.

athena53 01-25-2019 07:22 PM

I prefer not to autopay- I do it only for the mortgage (because it's important) and for other business that insist on "pulling" from my account, such as Planet Fitness. Don't like it but I have no choice. I don't get paper cc bills- I review them on line and all 3 (soon to be two) are set up with the same billing date so I do them all at once. For smaller bills (sewer, water, some other utilities) I set them up to be paid as soon as I get the statement.

I prefer the flexibility of paying my own bills- it also means that if I change checking accounts it's less hassle to stop all the auto-pays on the old account.

Octogirl 01-25-2019 07:25 PM

I pay many bills on auto pay, as many as possible on CC, then have my CC bill scheduled on autopay... the CC provider pulls the full payment from my ck account on the scheduled date... been doing this for many years and have never had a problem.

easysurfer 01-25-2019 07:33 PM

Yes.

imnontrad 01-25-2019 07:46 PM

I get all my bills online, not paper. And I do not have a "pull" for any payment from my account. For the bills that are the same each month, I set up automatic payment and then I just schedule the rest of the payments (online check pay) after I get the bill. I usually have all my payments arrive several days before the due date just to be on the safe side.

Cerys 01-25-2019 07:48 PM

Iíve done autopay on everything I could for about 40 years. Credit cards were the first ones I signed up for. We are heavy users and pay off in full monthly. Once, many years ago, my ATT card changed the due date, but not the pull date and I got hit with a finance charge. One phone call, finance charge was reversed, and account fixed. I wasnít the only customer it happened to.

The other time it was my mortgage. Bank error. Someone pulled the wrong magtape, and posted the 15ths transactions again on the 21st. Lots of apologies, and fee reversals.

2 mistakes in over 40 years? Iíll take it.

akck 01-25-2019 07:59 PM

I believe I have every CC on autopay, either the full balance or minimum amount due, but I usually pay them off before they are due. Autopay is just there to ensure that we don't accidentally miss a payment or can't make an online payment.

cathy63 01-25-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra9777 (Post 2179276)
cathy, can you perhaps elaborate on the bolded part? A check, I understand; it's printed at the bottom. But on an electronic bill-pay??... Are you suggesting that I provide my bank's routing#/account# to the vendor every time I pay them using electronic bill-pay?

I meant that you provide that info if you pay at the vendor's website and let them pull an ACH debit from your account. If you pay by using your bank's bill pay feature, and the money is transferred electronically, then your bank account number should not be sent.

Souschef 01-25-2019 09:16 PM

I have autopay for my CC. It is easy to handle. My closing date is the 28 th, my due date is the 25th of the next month. All I do is to make sure there is nought $ in the account to cover the payment.

Kwirk 01-25-2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grasshopper (Post 2178948)
I quit having Ms.G call when she is on the way back home, I just tell to put gas in the truck.

:laugh:

I know when my wife is about to leave her hairdresser because I get a credit card alert and a family calendar notification.

I frequently get an alert in restaurants before the server gets back to my table with my card. This can be helpful when the lights are too dim to read the charge slip (cataracts).

But it IS annoying to get an alert when autopay charges are processed in the middle of the night.

Back on topic: I have everything that I possibly can on autopay. Under the right circumstances I could be dead (and much richer) for years before anybody noticed.

Montecfo 01-25-2019 11:01 PM

I get a paper statement and autopay the credit cards. I let them pull.

rk911 01-25-2019 11:18 PM

nope, but we pay off the balance every month and have since about 1972. all of our other monthly bills are auto paid. why not the CC's...i like to think it's becuz i want to retain control but it's also about being able to delay payment until 72-hrs before the bill is due.

audreyh1 01-25-2019 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwirk (Post 2179348)

But it IS annoying to get an alert when autopay charges are processed in the middle of the night.

You need to turn on the Do Not Disturb feature!

audreyh1 01-25-2019 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk911 (Post 2179360)
nope, but we pay off the balance every month and have since about 1972. all of our other monthly bills are auto paid. why not the CC's...i like to think it's becuz i want to retain control but it's also about being able to delay payment until 72-hrs before the bill is due.

We have autopay pay the day due or 1 day before so we get max delay. Only on the Costco VISA have I needed to pay 2-3 days ahead.

Doribe 01-26-2019 12:41 AM

I basically use two credit cards. One is set up with all my autopay bills, utilities, Netflix, newspaper, gym membership, toll pass, etc. The amounts are close to the same every month and a quick monthly scan confirms no hanky-panky. The CC is set to autopay. My second card I use for everything else and is set to autopay. I collect points on both. I have one utility that is pulled from my checking account.

This is effecient and easy to scan for fraud. I used to own more real estate and changing the utilities to auto pay was a great time saver.

I have had fraud occur on my general CC, which the bank caught and sent me a new card. With all of my ebills on a different card I don't have to go through the work of changing the ebills to a new autopay CC.

Helena 01-26-2019 01:18 AM

My CC is with the same bank as my checking account. It takes me less than a minute by phone to transfer funds from my checking to pay my CC.

kitesurfer2 01-26-2019 04:04 AM

all chARGES go to one cc. that cc is bank aUTO PAY.

Dtail 01-26-2019 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helena (Post 2179379)

My CC is with the same bank as my checking account. It takes me less than a minute by phone to transfer funds from my checking to pay my CC.

Exactly my situation.

brett 01-26-2019 04:43 AM

Never.

We get an on line statement and then we pay it.

iloveyoga 01-26-2019 06:26 AM

I have all my regular bills on autopay. For my ccs I go on and review all the charges on line and then schedule the full payment on line.

donheff 01-26-2019 06:46 AM

I auto pay everything I can. I bill as much as possible to CCs and let the CCs pull from checking. I have never had a serious problem although some of the charges that go to CCs were late when the CCs expired. I don't want to incur interest on the CCs so I don't rely on manual payments which could get screwed up during travel. I have never encountered a problem with insufficient funds but I have a $20K overdraft line of credit associated with checking so I would not bounce a check if something went wrong.

mrfeh 01-26-2019 07:42 AM

Both of our primary CC accounts are paid automatically, pulled from the CC companies.

I keep a close eye on all charges, so there aren't any surprises.

gtweath 01-26-2019 08:32 AM

I play the rewards game so always have a lot of cards. I charge everything unless there is a fee (my water bill for example). The only way to manage it all is auto pay, otherwise something would fall through the cracks. All transactions get downloaded to quicken which I review daily. Quicken also lets me see at a glance how much outstanding balance I have on all cards and what my checking account balance is so I know if I need to transfer any money to cover the current balances when they autopay. Works wonderfully!

audreyh1 01-26-2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helena (Post 2179379)

You have to call?

RunningBum 01-26-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwirk (Post 2179348)

I have those alerts come via email, and I don't have a notification for incoming emails. The only one that forces me to get a text is AT&T mobile. I tried to turn it off but it never worked, even after I opened a case. Finally I just blacklisted the number those autopay messages come from.

jazz4cash 01-26-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtweath (Post 2179481)
I play the rewards game so always have a lot of cards. I charge everything unless there is a fee (my water bill for example).

Iím rethinking this. I just paid our water bill even though they charge $1.75. With a 2% cashback card Itís only 1/3 of the reward. I had to schedule it at the vendorís site which I donít like to do either. Its the first time Iíve paid a fee to use a card. OTOH I think the fee to pay property taxes is 3% so thatíll never work.

bada bing 01-26-2019 10:51 AM

I am an autopay nut. Everything that can possibly be set up to autopay, is.
Every recurring bill that can autopay from credit card is, those that won't do
CC are set to pull from checking account. The credit cards are set to autopay
when due.

I am not a very organized person. Autopay has been a boon to my financial
management. I went full autopay 15 years ago and haven't looked back. I
haven't had a glitch in 15 years. I do usually check online prior to payment
day and I get email notices when stuff happens. Before using autopay, I
would occasionally miss due dates. Since autopaying:

1. Not a penny in CC interest in 15 years
2. Haven't lost a day of CC grace period
3. Last 5 years continuous a perfect 850 FICO8 on all 3 bureaus.

My hat is tipped to all the super organized finance whizzes who manually pay
their bills on time, every time. I know from experience that isn't me.

One thing I have wondered about autopay is if having PIF autopay set on a
CC account influences the credit card companies. I know that credit card
companies have buckets based on payment behavior - broadly called
transactors and revolvers. By setting up a PIF autopay, you are very much
indicating you are a transactor. Given that credit companies expend some
effort tracking payment behavior for their computer models to infer your
future actions, it would seem a slam dunk that setting up PIF autopay would
label you in their systems.

CaliKid 01-26-2019 10:59 AM

Everything that can be on auto pay is on auto pay and has been as long as I can recall - 15-20 years!? I usually check credit card statement when I get email, verify no problems, and then it gets paid automatically a few weeks later. I can't imagine writing a check or doing a manual push of the money. That makes absolutely no sense for any bill from any reputable company.

DeborahB 01-26-2019 11:05 AM

I tried having all the bills come electronically. I found I’m not organized enough to save the bills online, or routinely look at them online. So I’m back to paper. The ppayments are automated. And I gave up on the points game for paying bills with cc. I charge almost everything and get those points. I get a real benefit on amazon when the credits show up on the payment screen!

W2R 01-26-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliKid (Post 2179593)
Everything that can be on auto pay is on auto pay and has been as long as I can recall - 15-20 years!? I usually check credit card statement when I get email, verify no problems, and then it gets paid automatically a few weeks later. I can't imagine writing a check or doing a manual push of the money. That makes absolutely no sense for any bill from any reputable company.

Same here. For me it has been 19 years and never the slightest error; I check each payment when I record it in my spending spreadsheet, and for 19 years every single payment has been correct to the penny.

My guess is that many don't do this because they have read frightening (clickbait?) stories about it in the media that cause them to fear losing money if they do. Each person has to find their own comfort zone. For me, the convenience of not having to deal with monthly bills for 19 years, and the boost to my credit rating due to no bill ever being paid late or incorrectly, are worth quite a bit. That said, since none of my payments have been incorrect or excessive I have not paid even one cent for this wonderful service.

Splash 01-26-2019 12:49 PM

I auto pay cc in full each month. I also auto pay whatever else I can.

I used to get paper cc statements, review them, and then pay them. Then, several years ago, a credit card statement didn't arrive in the mail one month. I didn't realize it until the late notice came. I thought it was a fluke. Called cc company. I had to pay interest but they waived the late fee. When it happened again the very next month, I thought this is no fluke. Someone could be stealing mail out of our rural mailbox while we are at work/school. From that day on, I moved to paperless statements.

Dtail 01-26-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2179630)
Same here. For me it has been 19 years and never the slightest error; I check each payment when I record it in my spending spreadsheet, and for 19 years every single payment has been correct to the penny.

My guess is that many don't do this because they have read frightening (clickbait?) stories about it in the media that cause them to fear losing money if they do. Each person has to find their own comfort zone. For me, the convenience of not having to deal with monthly bills for 19 years, and the boost to my credit rating due to no bill ever being paid late or incorrectly, are worth quite a bit. That said, since none of my payments have been incorrect or excessive I have not paid even one cent for this wonderful service.

I do like manually paying my CC bills through BOA, which takes 5 minutes literally.
Was wondering though about allowing access to one's checking account - what happens if there is a breach?
With CC breaches which we have had our share, there never was an issue in getting the false charges reimbursed.

Helena 01-26-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2179489)

You have to call?

I prefer to call.

And I prefer to call on my landline [not my cell phone] because it is quicker and the audio is better.

MarieIG 01-27-2019 08:04 PM

I review each charge and push pay all credit card bills.

Surewhitey 01-27-2019 09:10 PM

We autopay anything possible. With credit cards for point, then pay the credit card off every month.

dtbach 01-28-2019 09:46 AM

Autopay as many things as possible. Never have late charges then. Still review the CC reports to see if anything is amiss.

Helen 01-28-2019 10:30 AM

We have everything on autopay and love it. We travel 4 - 6 months out of the year and the convenience is priceless.

Kwirk 01-29-2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2179364)
You need to turn on the Do Not Disturb feature!

I've improved my sleep a bit differently.

I have one credit card used only for auto payment of recurring bills. I never carry that card with me and I don't use it for one-time online purchases. I've never lost that card and nobody has ever pirated it. Turning off alerts for that card (I check it daily with Moneydance) solved the problem.

kimcdougc 01-29-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetireAge50 (Post 2178947)
All bills including credit cards are automatically pulled from checking. I do nothing but monitor the balances and activity.

+1. I do get a text alert for all payments and a text alert for all purchases on the credit cards. Works very well, especially when traveling. Works so well, I do the same for my dear dad and his bills. Keep an eye on all charges.

audreyh1 01-29-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwirk (Post 2181395)
I've improved my sleep a bit differently.

I have one credit card used only for auto payment of recurring bills. I never carry that card with me and I don't use it for one-time online purchases. I've never lost that card and nobody has ever pirated it. Turning off alerts for that card (I check it daily with Moneydance) solved the problem.

iPhones have a Do Not Disturb feature where pings and other noises are shutoff overnight during whatever you designate as you time not to be disturbed. Very nice.

REWahoo 01-29-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2181464)
iPhones have a Do Not Disturb feature where pings and other noises are shutoff overnight during whatever you designate as you time not to be disturbed. Very nice.

All but the most basic android phones also have a DND feature, allowing you to specify who on your contact list can/can't call you between the hours you set. Late night wrong numbers are definitely something I don't miss from the old land line days.

tracton 02-01-2019 05:46 PM

We auto-pay the minimum on our CC, plus $100, then manually push the rest. This assures that we'll never be charged the non-payment penalty, but might incur interest for the second payment if I forget (which I've only done once). If we spend more in a month than I'm willing to pay, I'll need to adjust the second payment.

Also: I only use the CC that has the highest cash back... why use the others that are not going to pay me?

gooddog 02-01-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col. Klink (Post 2178914)

Same here. Should be verifying everything is right each month before paying it.

Tracer 02-01-2019 06:31 PM

I have the Fidelity Elan VISA card (IMO the best all around cash back card). Bill paying every month for me is a snap. At the end of every month I add up all bills for the following month. All I need to do is check that there is enough in my Fidelity checking account to cover them. With direct deposits I get, there usually is. Occasionally I have to transfer in some additional if my VISA bill has a higher balance than normal. I always pay in full and don't carry over balances. All bills are pulled by direct debit. I don't use the bill pay function. I like keeping all my bills together in one place for reference so I still receive paper bills.

VungTau 02-01-2019 07:46 PM

Isn't it funny how we all wrote checks for years with our acct number, routing number, name and address, bank branch and handed them out all over town for years without a care, But we worry about that same info now, haha!

Never had a big issue with auto pay, made my life so much easier in America. Now that I live overseas there is nothing much to autopay at all, oh ya! I charge everything possible on my credit cards and they are auto paid in the US, everything else is cash.

meleana 02-01-2019 07:52 PM

I have auto pay on everything I can possibly have it on. So great not to have to write checks and buy stamps and all that. I get notified by email that the statements are ready way before the payment comes out of my checking, so no issues there.

I do like to print them out, however.

And I like to go over my credit card statements line by line against my receipts.

dixter 02-01-2019 07:55 PM

I'm a bit surprised that some folks here say they just auto pay CC without looking at all of the charges.... we ALLWAYS go thru each CC statement to make sure all of the charges are correct.... just about every other month we find items that we did not purchase on our cards... and we dispute them... I asked the CC fraud people how can our cards be subject to this abuse and they told me its internet based charges.. because who ever is cheating the system just goes on line and buys items... last month we had three charges that added up to over $1000 that weren't ours... all of our monthly bills seem to be fine most of the time... except last month when Frontier charged $300 for a cable bill.... still not sure what they were up to... but if I hadn't looked at the CC statement they too would have been paid and I wouldn't have been any wiser... always check each and every line in the statement... you never know...

jazz4cash 02-01-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dixter (Post 2183579)
I'm a bit surprised that some folks here say they just auto pay CC without looking at all of the charges.... we ALLWAYS go thru each CC statement to make sure all of the charges are correct.... just about every other month we find items that we did not purchase on our cards... and we dispute them... I asked the CC fraud people how can our cards be subject to this abuse and they told me its internet based charges.. because who ever is cheating the system just goes on line and buys items... last month we had three charges that added up to over $1000 that weren't ours... all of our monthly bills seem to be fine most of the time... except last month when Frontier charged $300 for a cable bill.... still not sure what they were up to... but if I hadn't looked at the CC statement they too would have been paid and I wouldn't have been any wiser... always check each and every line in the statement... you never know...

Which card is this? I donít think I could tolerate that much abuse. I would switch or have an internet only card. I do check each charge but also get email/text alerts above $100 and balance alerts also.

wanaberetiree 02-01-2019 08:37 PM

I have all bills on auto pay for 5-7 years I had 0 problems

Dash man 02-01-2019 08:49 PM

I have an app for each credit card and I can either manually pull from my checking account or use my bill pay. Itís so easy I typically pay the bill the day it hits my account. That way I keep close tabs on the charges, catching any bogus charges right away. I also get a text for charges on some of my lesser used accounts.