I submitted my resignation today!

CindyBlue

Full time employment: Posting here.
I still can't believe I did it.
Last day of work is June 1, 2019.
Thank you so much everyone - I've been reading your thoughtful posts for almost three years now, and the information I've gained from this forum is incredibly valuable. Thank you for all your help!
Now, to figure out how to digest this decision... I'm relieved, but still scared to death!

Last edited:
Congratulations. Given that your last day is months away, that will give you time to digest the decision. You’ll be more than fine.

Wow! It is scary... but all life changes ae scary... we are definitely creatures of habit. Congratulations!

The countdown has begun! Congratulations!

Don’t be scared...be relieved! Congrats!

It does take some courage to walk away from a life time of working. I wish you well and you will find your way once the time comes. I still from time to time think back of the fun and memories of my working years and miss them. Good luck keep us posted on your new journey.

Congrats and relax. It will be great in the end.

So, what are you going to do all day, for the rest of your life??

Congratulations! It may seem scary, but the "scariest" thing will really be trying to figure out what you will do with your time... and since that will be under your control and choice, it will become less scary.:)

Sounds similar to what I did in terms of notice..resigned end of August, just did my last day first week of Jan '19..

Good luck! Those last few months are likely to feel VERY strange. Even though I was constantly "beyond busy" working 80+ hour weeks every week, the last few months went down to virtually nothing. People almost seemed to forget I was still around and started to no longer engage me on things. It was really eerie..gave me a chance to start to wind down a bit from the 80+ hour weeks, but still very strange..

Just starting week #4 of actual retirement and it's a heck of a great feeling to be FINALLY done after 4+ months of wrapping things up.

Last edited:
Aww, thank you so much, everyone! I am so touched! You all have been there, done that - I value your felicitations and the tales of your experiences when you "cut the cord" so very much!

Congratulations! [emoji322] Very exciting, and I imagine you will be more than ready to fly the coop once your notice period ends.

Wow...this question really has me thinking...

It is an important question, and has been stated on here many times, you may have a job to retire from, but you need something to retire to.

My suggestion is take some time first to unwind and get used to being retired and not working. Review your finances and become comfortable with your new position with regard to where money is coming from and where it goes. Then figure out what you want to spend time on, it can be hobbies, exercising, traveling, volunteering, or whatever. It might even include some part time work, not because you have to but because you want to. The best part is you are now in control of your time. Do what makes you happy. Enjoy the freedom.

Wow...this question really has me thinking...

Do note that there could be some days where you actually do nothing for whatever reason and that is fine too. No guilt here when that happens.

It is an important question, and has been stated on here many times, you may have a job to retire from, but you need something to retire to.

My suggestion is take some time first to unwind and get used to being retired and not working. Review your finances and become comfortable with your new position with regard to where money is coming from and where it goes. Then figure out what you want to spend time on, it can be hobbies, exercising, traveling, volunteering, or whatever. It might even include some part time work, not because you have to but because you want to. The best part is you are now in control of your time. Do what makes you happy. Enjoy the freedom.

Thanks. I've read a lot here about making the decision to retire "to" vs the decision to retire "from." In my case, I think I'm retiring "from" more than "to" (smile!) My hubby will retire at the same time - this was a major part of my decision, as he is almost ten yours older than me and has never expressed a real interest in retiring until very recently. We are very happy and comfortable being together, and I don't think we will have too much of a problem adjusting to having our time as our own. It's just figuring out what exactly will occupy our time that is a concern. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it all shakes out (smile!) I am somewhat worried about finances, because we don't have the resources that many people here do, but I did a year of living on exactly what I thought I would have to live on when I retired (opened a separate checking account with just that amount of money and spent only from that account) and it was successful, so I'm just going to have to have faith that we can do it now.

Back
Top Bottom