A cold hating Pennsylvania man in Florida

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Pennsylvania or Florida the old pooch needs her early am walk. I really don’t mind because I am an early riser and it is pleasantly cool here in the mornings. I am bleary eyed but must remain a little more alert - for one there is an 8ft alligator in one of the nearby ponds and lots of little ones. The big one is quite spectacular. There are other critters about like bobcats, coyotes and snakes so I don’t want the old gal getting into any trouble.

The parade of exercisers start just after sun up and for a few before. Its an impressive thing: bikers regular and recumbent, joggers and walkers lots of walkers. Their routines are established long ago during the summer when exercise happens early or you go to some mall. The club house does have a well used gym that is busy in the mornings. (And a bunch of heated pools)

One morning at around 7AM the sky was light but the sun was not up yet we hadn’t cleared the driveway and a nice lady ‘walker’ said hello to Dusty. Most people here are like Dusty amazingly friendly.

The family home we are staying in is in a Sarasota gated community. Ive been here many times but never as a retired guy looking for a change. The the villas look the same to me more then ten years after they were built. Solid cement walls with hurricane blinds they were built to withstand hurricanes and termites.

The landscaping is impressive - tended to by an army of landscapers who regularly come mow, trim and blow. Maintenance is required -if your wall gets green mold you will be notified and if you don’t clean it they will. There are ponds galore with walkways and stately ornate bridges. I saw an osprey crash into the water a few feet away and come away with a tilapia. The gators fancy those tilapia too.

There are over 1000 homes in this community and many are winter homes. They stand empty during the heat of the summer. Since all the home are groomed and look similar theres no way to know which are empty. Walk the old gal at 9PM and there seems to be little life.

The first order of business after the groceries when we arrived was to get a fishing license and two plastic containers of night crawlers. I put them to good use, first dozen cast yielded 3 bass but the building breeze chased me away. I met a teenager who had caught a 8 pounder 2 days earlier. Verified by a picture on his phone. The ponds are just loaded with bass and gar. This place is a birders paradise blue heron, spoon bills, ospreys and you name it. Sitting here at the kitchen table I can hear them all. All that sun supports so much life.

Traffic is horrendous -my SIL says “onlys for 6 months a year.” There are a couple of new, much discussed, traffic circles which are supposed to be safer but the old people still manage to have accidents. DW reported there was another one yesterday.

Walking back from fishing last night I saw a reckless woman with 2 kids in a fast golf cart flying over the bridges to kids delight. Had someone been on the other side of the bridge...

The skyway bridge and saltwater fishing is on my agenda but being retired means there is no rush. The pace of life behind the walls here appeals to me. Ive exercised every day..its been great.

Last edited:
Is this your visit to The Villages you're describing?

No. The villages is in Lady Lake Florida, North of Orlando. The description is my time in a (non retirement) Gated Community in Sarasota.

Is this your visit to The Villages you're describing?

The Villages are located much further North than the Sarasota gated community being described.

Edit - ah see the OP crossed with my response.

That sounds great, rayin[-]penn[/-]fl. How far in advance did you reserve the Sarasota place? Just curious for potential future adventures.

The Family home was inherited by my wife and her 3 sisters some years ago...

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice change for you. Enjoy the sun!!

Added some pictures IMG_0330.jpgIMG_0329.jpgIMG_0328.jpgIMG_0326.jpg

Looks great. Good for you.

We both grew up in the snow belt....and LOTS of it. Often from November into late March.

Now, as we have aged, neither of us can stand the cold. Or the snow, or the ice. It was either get out of Dodge permanently or stay put and find someplace warm for a few months.

It sounds like a very nice life-style. We chose Oahu for similar reasons but it has the added advantage of no gators and no snakes - lots of dogs, however. I've heard the average dog owner has 3 dogs here. Our traffic can be horrendous as well, though neighbor Islands, not so much. Being retired, we can plan our trips around "rush hour" which I'm assuming is more or less constant in retirement areas such as Florida. Folks here (me excluded) still w*rk for a living - pity them. Retirees are the minority, so don't influence the traffic much. YMMV

That sounds great, rayin[-]penn[/-]fl. How far in advance did you reserve the Sarasota place? Just curious for potential future adventures.

I stayed in Sarasota and we reserved about 8months in advance with homeaway. But I just like to get things taken care of ahead of time.

It was BUSY! I think the level of busyness might ware on me I was only there for 11 days.

Those roundabouts...back home I trust everyone navigating them...in Sarasota, not so much.

It sounds like a very nice life-style. We chose Oahu for similar reasons but it has the added advantage of no gators and no snakes - lots of dogs, however. I've heard the average dog owner has 3 dogs here. Our traffic can be horrendous as well, though neighbor Islands, not so much. Being retired, we can plan our trips around "rush hour" which I'm assuming is more or less constant in retirement areas such as Florida. Folks here (me excluded) still w*rk for a living - pity them. Retirees are the minority, so don't influence the traffic much. YMMV

Sarasota traffic is like Kona "rush hour" in February...one way in, and one way out...unless you are local, then you take the high road (or low road if in Sarasota). They were actually equally frustrating...did Kona in 2018, and Sarasota this year.

Given the choice between 'busy' and warm orld/snow/ice......I would take busy and warm any day.

So, what do all the Florida newbies do to insure their homes against hurricane damage?
IMHO-hurricanes are a regional boogieman, much like twisters to newbie Midwesterners and earth quakes to newbie Californians.

A few areas of FL have exposure to numerous hurricanes. Most areas of FL have very limited exposure (high winds, possible flooding, but no extreme damage). Googling a FL hurricane map shows the past exposures.

I once showed a newbie Midwesterner homes to buy. He refused to look at anything without a basement (twister fears). My experience of 50 plus years in the Midwest without having experienced a tornado did nothing to calm his fears.

So, what do all the Florida newbies do to insure their homes against hurricane damage?

We have hurricane insurance as part of the home insurance. IIRC, it might be mandated.
As far as actual house protection, all house built after ~2002 have to be built up to the latest hurricane standards in their area. Miami/Dade has stricter codes than standard.
As we live 1 hour from the coastline and no measured hurricane has hit our area since 1923, I stay aware of the forecasts and will evacuate as necessary but I don't get crazy over each hurricane development.

Yesterday we were over at the SILs and they talked about there experience with hurricane Irma.

<b>Hurricane Irma was an extremely powerful and catastrophic Cape Verde hurricane, the strongest observed in the Atlantic in terms of maximum sustained winds since Wilma, and the strongest storm on record to exist in the open Atlantic region.</b>

Apparently Sarasota was targeted for a “direct hit” with terrifying 150MPH winds. All the relatives and friends had a ‘put up the hurricane shutter party’ followed by a second lubricant- aided ‘wait for the wind’ party. While the hurricane veered at the last moment. There were some anxious moments when wind driven debris started hitting the building. I should say these buildings are pored cement bunkers and quite sturdy.

I learned that in lieu of shutters you could buy Hurricane rated windows and doors are very expensive. My SILs Hurricane slider alone was quoted at $16,000. She decided on keeping the shutters.

Last edited:

We self insure. Current home value is $325,000 and there's a lot across the street for sale for $240,000. The cost to scrape what's left of a house off a lot is about $10,000, so we're risking about a hundred thousand by not insuring.

We had $3,000 in damage from Irma, which wouldn't meet the 5% named storm deductible anyway. Both my neighbors lost their seawalls, which are not insured. One lost their lanai, which was insured but subject to the very high deductible and the other had all the shingles blow off - causing damage to our house and lanai.

Our approach has been to fortify the house and seawall. We added riprap to the seawall soon after buying the home and this clearly kept it standing during Irma. We also added impact windows and doors as well as a storm rated garage door.

Ten years of insurance savings so far adds up to over $30,000. I may live to regret it, but so far so good. Need to find some wood to knock on.....

Liability insurance is another matter. With unlimited exposure, I wouldn't take that risk. Fortunately, Safeco (Liberty Mutual owned) allows us to extend our liability and umbrella coverage to a second home for $25 annually. Seems too good to be true, I know.

We have hurricane impact windows and doors - whole house. Garage door and skylights too, all miami-dade rated (that's as good as you can get). Basically I think the test means it holds up to a heavy object impact at 150mph, twice.

In a cat4 or higher, no one is taking bets. We won't stay in the house for a Cat4. We only got the full windows done after 2005 because we had no shutters, and our windows were old anyway. Irma that year took out our screen patio and roof as well as a window, so we had a decent claim (40k ish?)

We have flood insurance and regular homeowners for the full house, contents, liability, etc. About $4k per year for piece of mind. More worried about replacing contents than rebuilding personally.

Dtail said:
As we live 1 hour from the coastline and no measured hurricane has hit our area since 1923, I stay aware of the forecasts and will evacuate as necessary but I don't get crazy over each hurricane development.

Really? Watching the news I get the impression most of the state has been wiped out two or three times in the last decade

I pay $950 for a policy with a 10% hurricane deductible. Seems like cheap insurance.

I'm not worried about hurricane-related financial loss as much as the aggravation of being displaced from my home for an extended period of time. After sheltering-in-place during a low Cat-1 hurricane (Irma) I'll seriously consider getting out of town if it appears that a stronger hurricane is on the way. :hide:

Back
Top Bottom