Overtourism

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Opinion piece on the "overtourism" of Europe. Hypothesis is that cheap airfare is to blame.

At the end of May, reception workers at the Louvre in Paris held a one-day strike complaining that they couldn’t handle the growing, and increasingly aggressive, crowds of visitors. The historic center of the Croatian city of Dubrovnik, known to many as King’s Landing in “Game of Thrones,” can’t fit more than 8,000 people at a time. Yet it saw a 53% increase in tourist arrivals, to 101,325, in the first three months of 2019 compared with a year earlier — even limiting the number of cruise ships that can dock there hasn’t helped.

Granted, this is an opinion piece but I can see how there could be issues, especially at the more popular destinations. They cite that in 1995 the global tourism number was 525M arrivals and last year it was 1.4B which I think is pretty steep increase.

Personally, I am very happy that I got to see much of the world already thanks to the Air Force when crowds weren't so big. I don't know that I could handle a crowd like the attached picture these days. I am also happy that my favorite get away spot is still relatively quiet (at least during our off peak travel days) and there are no cruise ships crashing into the dock. ;)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 186
Certainly Venice is feeling it with their cruise ship disasters. Citizens complaining bitterly.

Wish we’d spent more time there 20 years ago before big cruise ships were allowed in the canals.

It is everywhere. We went on a trip last late winter to a Mediterranean area and the tourism was crushing, despite lousy weather.

On another thread we were talking about hiking in the USA and how the trails are overflowing and metered in many places.

"Experiences, not things."

It is everywhere. We went on a trip last late winter to a Mediterranean area and the tourism was crushing, despite lousy weather.

On another thread we were talking about hiking in the USA and how the trails are overflowing and metered in many places.

I hadn't thought about the trails and how crowded they can be. Back in the 'burbs of Atlanta there was an area that I used to frequent that ran along the Chattahoochee and was fantastic. Often, I could walk 5 or more miles and not see a single person. The last time I went, it was so packed (on a mid week morning, too) it was just miserable and I never went back. There seems to be fewer and fewer places to escape the hoards of people.

We primarily do independent land tours. We try to avoid the touristy areas. We have really noticed this in the last five or six years. Particularly in places like Thailand and Turkey.

Five winters in Thailand. We avoid Phuket and Samui like the plague and head for either less crowded areas or those beach areas frequented by locals. The differences are amazing. It is not only about fewer crowds. Accommodation is easier to obtain. Food is better and less expensive, as is local transportation.

When we travel we look for places off the beaten path. Australia has been good for this. Fewer tourists it would seem, or perhaps more beaches. We typically stop in Honolulu for two days on our way back. We don't even bother with the beach. Crowds are awful. Food is very mediocre and expensive.

Certainly Venice is feeling it with their cruise ship disasters. Citizens complaining bitterly.

Wish we’d spent more time there 20 years ago before big cruise ships were allowed in the canals.

We were there for a week in early 2014, when there was a newly instituted ban on cruise ships. I believe the ban was overturned in court later that year. It was nice to have fewer people crowding the streets, although it was still quite busy in the Piazza San Marco.

We usually go to Europe in the off season. The last time we went was 3 years ago and it wasn’t horrible.

I have been to Rome 3 times, once in 2002 and it was delightful. One year post-9-11, and I assume folks weren't eager to fly. Rome, Florence and Pisa were wonderful. 2005, same 3 cities, a little more crowded. 2011, Rome and the Tuscan countryside. The Tuscan countryside was great. Rome was overflowing with tourists, and recent immigrants from North Africa constantly in our faces trying to sell us crap. And I do mean crap. From what I read and hear, it's even worse, now, 8 years later...I can't imagine it.
Tourism IS the experience in places like Rome,Pisa, Florence, Venice, and many others.
If I lived there I'd be very upset about it.

Wherever cruise ships dock, things will not be the same. I could not recognize Bar Harbor, Maine, in my last visit after it became a stop for cruise ships.

But overtourism happens everywhere. Have y'all seen photos of a long line of climbers waiting for their turn to go up to Mt. Everest peak for a selfie? Even a price tag of $70,000 and the risk of death did not deter them. Several described sidestepping bodies of climbers who died for lack of oxygen.

Yosemite, Zion, and Grand Canyon? Forget it in the summer.

p9-minter-a-20190604-870x646.jpg

Last edited:
We are a big fan of private tours when on a cruise. A few examples:.
In Lisbon we took a tours with 3 other couples that included the Palacio Nationale, Sintra, Cascacais, and Estoril
In Chile we toured Petruche Falls. on our way out, we literally had to fight our way to the parking lot because the ship'e buses had arrived
We toured Giverney and Rouen by a taxi we booked, totally uncrowded

Wherever cruiseships dock, things will not be the same. I could not recognize Bar Harbor, Maine, in my last visit after it became a stop for cruise ships.

But overtourism happens everywhere. Have y'all seen photos of a long line of climbers waiting for their turn to go up to Mt. Everest peak for a selfie? Even a price tag of $70,000 and the risk of death did not deter them.

I saw that a week ago or so. Absolute madness I tell you.

At the end of May, reception workers at the Louvre in Paris held a one-day strike complaining that they couldn’t handle the growing, and increasingly aggressive, crowds of visitors.

I'm stunned. How could anyone be aggressive when visiting the Louvre? :facepalm: I don't care if they stood in line for a few hours and aren't totally comfortable. For heaven's sake, they should grow up. What do they think they are standing in line to see, Star Wars? Good grief. The assembly of art in the Louvre comprises a pinnacle of civilization unmatched by any other IMO, except perhaps the British Museum.

Those acting aggressive and uncivilized are probably incapable of understanding what it represents to the world, and if I was Queen of the Universe they would be denied entry. [/sputter][/rant]

Wherever cruise ships dock, things will not be the same. I could not recognize Bar Harbor, Maine, in my last visit after it became a stop for cruise ships.

But overtourism happens everywhere. Have y'all seen photos of a long line of climbers waiting for their turn to go up to Mt. Everest peak for a selfie? Even a price tag of $70,000 and the risk of death did not deter them. Several described sidestepping bodies of climbers who died for lack of oxygen.

Not Bar Harbor!! I haven't been in our 20 years but I used to camp there when my kids were little. Even before I had kids. I had long thought of returning there someday.

Below are some graffiti photos I took while in the university town of Coimbra Portugal.

Attachments

• Portugal 2017 -893.jpg
    Portugal 2017 -893.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Portugal 2017 -892.jpg
    Portugal 2017 -892.jpg
    990.8 KB · Views: 106
Until health intervened we were supposed to be in Ukraine, (and perhaps points North & East), where the impact of tourism is apparently less than the 'Same Old, Same Old' countries on the Med corridor.

Below are some graffiti photos I took while in the university town of Coimbra Portugal.

I was there just last month. And I thought it was not at all crowded.

Was in Lisbon for the 1st time, but I saw that a lot of people on the streets were locals, or Portuguese visitors. Just a few miles away in "New Lisbon", it was all different with wider streets and modern buildings. But that is not the Lisbon with tram cars that tourists come to see.

Barcelona foot traffic was insane, compared to when I was there 13 years ago. No wonder the locals were mad and wanted to limit tourism.

Last edited:
Until health intervened we were supposed to be in Ukraine, (and perhaps points North & East), where the impact of tourism is apparently less than the 'Same Old, Same Old' countries on the Med corridor.

Belarus and Moldova on your list? Siberia and Vladivostok? The 'stan countries?

Not Bar Harbor!! I haven't been in our 20 years but I used to camp there when my kids were little. Even before I had kids. I had long thought of returning there someday.

Time to go camping in Alaska and the Yukon. And stay out of cruise ship destinations. :)

Lots of wilderness and nature. Maybe too much nature (I mean the bears). :)

Belarus and Moldova on your list? Siberia and Vladivostok? The 'stan countries?

The first two, (although Belarus's* visa requirements appear to be an unnecessary PITA), anyway......the other two are a little further afield, and, I suspect, not worth the trouble.

We'd go back to Romania & Bulgaria.

*Got talking to a guy from Belarus a year or so back while on one of our favorite cruise lines....Pullmantur.......he recommended it.

When we went to the Louvre a few years ago we tried to see the Mona Lisa, but it looked much like this, probably worse. We could barely get into the room. We didn't notice anyone being aggressive, but the crowd wasn't moving and I don't know how long, if ever, we'd have had to wait to get a good view. We just moved on. Not a big deal to us.

room-louvre-mona-lisa-28923238.jpg

The first two, (although Belarus's* visa requirements appear to be an unnecessary PITA), anyway......the other two are a little further afield, and, I suspect, not worth the trouble.

We'd go back to Romania & Bulgaria.

*Got talking to a guy from Belarus a year or so back while on one of our favorite cruise lines....Pullmantur.......he recommended it.

I visited Belarus last summer. Very nice and uncrowded.

I heard they expanded their arrive & depart-by-air travel to a 30-day stay, with NO visa required (ipo the 5-day no-visa stay when I visited in 2018.)

omni

Last edited:
I visited Belarus last summer. Very nice and uncrowded.

I heard they expanded their arrive & depart-by-air visa to a 30-day stay (ipo the 5-day stay when I visited in 2018.)

omni

Our (since torpedoed) hope was to catch trains from Kiev, through Belarus, to Vilnius.

We were aware of the (at that time) fly-in-fly-out through Minsk no visa 'deal', but, IIRC, one was pretty much confined to Minsk & environs.

Hmmm... I guess I'd better start thinking seriously about Belarus, despite my philosophy of not visiting places with authoritarian regimes.

Heck, I see that there are tour companies who even take tourists into the Chernobyl zone.

There's nothing like posting a video of yourself holding a Geiger counter, I'll tell ya.

I dunno. Experiences like some I have seen, I do not need. Things look more and more appealin' to me, I tell ya.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom