Electronics for long-term travel?

BarbWire

Recycles dryer sheets
I am planning an 18+ month globetrot, which will probably consist of a couple of 3 or 4-month stays in the UK, as well as wandering the rest of the world.

My plan is to travel carry-on with a suitcase/duffle/backpack of about 45L and a daypack of about 25L.

My question is about electronics -- specifically tablets and laptops. I have an iPad which I use quite a bit for financial aps, e-books, and NetFlix downloads, as well as web-surfing. I have used bank and CC aps on the iPad but prefer doing banking (and trip planning) on a laptop.

Could I get by without a laptop for 18 months? Yes, grudgingly, but .... I do my taxes with TurboTax, and you can't do that on an iPad. And they are a bit too complicated to do online.

So, it seems either carry the iPad (~1.25lbs) and my Dell XPS13 laptop (~4lbs with charger, etc) everywhere. That's quite a bit when one is trying to stay under 12kg.

Or, I suppose I could substitute a Microsoft Surface Pro which allegedly works in both tablet and laptop modes, but I have no experience with them and am concerned that it is a hybrid of the worst of both worlds.

What do other long term travellers do?

I am planning an 18+ month globetrot, which will probably consist of a couple of 3 or 4-month stays in the UK, as well as wandering the rest of the world.

My plan is to travel carry-on with a suitcase/duffle/backpack of about 45L and a daypack of about 25L.

My question is about electronics -- specifically tablets and laptops. I have an iPad which I use quite a bit for financial aps, e-books, and NetFlix downloads, as well as web-surfing. I have used bank and CC aps on the iPad but prefer doing banking (and trip planning) on a laptop.

Could I get by without a laptop for 18 months? Yes, grudgingly, but .... I do my taxes with TurboTax, and you can't do that on an iPad. And they are a bit too complicated to do online.

So, it seems either carry the iPad (~1.25lbs) and my Dell XPS13 laptop (~4lbs with charger, etc) everywhere. That's quite a bit when one is trying to stay under 12kg.

Or, I suppose I could substitute a Microsoft Surface Pro which allegedly works in both tablet and laptop modes, but I have no experience with them and am concerned that it is a hybrid of the worst of both worlds.

DW bought me a folding Bluetooth keyboard. The box it comes in is 6 X 5 X 1. and weighs 10 oz. I have it paired with my Kindle and my smartphone.

It sounds like your choice is iPad only, iPad & laptop, or new Surface that you know nothing about.

If I were you, I would start practicing banking and trip planning on iPad only before your trip. If you get comfortable with banking and trip planning on it - then go with only the iPad and have someone do your taxes.

Otherwise bring both the laptop and iPad.

My wife used to use a Microsoft Surface tablet computer. It worked pretty well for what it did. However, like many notebook or tablet computers, it is not the same as having a fully functional laptop. Tablet computers don't always run all the software that a laptop can run, and she found this frustrating.

Before considering your trip with a tablet computer, I would be doubly sure that you are comfortable using the tablet while you are at home with every application you will want to use while you are traveling. This way, you will know firsthand how well or how poorly it works for the things you will be using it for. There is no substitute for checking this out yourself. Other people's experiences may not help your decision.

For example, you already know that TurboTax won't work on your IPad. Is there a workaround you would be satisfied with? Perhaps using an online version of TurboTax if one exists, or using different software that would be compatible with the iPad? Are there any other applications with similar limitations?

I travel a lot with a full-sized laptop computer, with a screen that is 17 inches along the diagonal, because I work while I travel. I prefer the larger screen sizes because I typically have three or four windows open simultaneously while I am working because I am using all of them. Yes, a full-sized laptop computer is heavier than a tablet, but I am willing to lug around the extra weight. For the most part, I am carrying it between cities, but within a particular city I don't carry it much at all.

Of course, your mileage may vary. : )

I travel a lot with my iPad and a Mophie charger. I have no problem doing anything with it.
The only other device I would add to your travel gear are good noise cancelling headphones.

DW & are traveling vagabonds and have been wandering about the planet for the past 3 years. She carries an iPad mini. I carry a 13" MacBook Pro @2kg (including charger) in my 25L daypack. I see that you will have a 45L backpack/duffle plus a 25L daypack. Is it the daypack you are trying to keep under 12 kilos? I have stuffed my daypack to the gills and including my MacBook, have never come close to it weighing 12K.

As long as you make sure you are overpaid on your taxes, you don’t even have to file them until you get back. The penalty for late filing is a percentage of the underpayment and as long as there is none, there is no penalty. So, throw some money at the irs and your state and forget about taxes until you get back. Should be able to do that before you leave for the current tax year and for the next tax year, you should be able to pay estimates on line with your iPad. If not, leave a few checks made out to the appropriate taxing authority and have a friend drop them in the mail at the necessary time.

Buy a MacBook. It weighs 2 pounds (0.92 kg). Ditch the iPad. Best of both worlds

Taxes might be easy: File an extension. I haven't filed our 2018 taxes yet and won't file until October. But if you are getting a refund, the IRS won't care anyways.

I have a Macbook, but I found my phone does everything I need when traveling, so I don't take it with me.

I thought this was going to about Anker Powercore bricks.

I'd try to stay under 5 kg in a backpack.

Last edited:

I’ve done my taxes on Turbo via iPad for years.

Taxes might be easy: File an extension. I haven't filed our 2018 taxes yet and won't file until October. But if you are getting a refund, the IRS won't care anyways.

I'd try to stay under 5 kg in a backpack.
You cannot just file an extension, you must pay your estimated taxes. From the IRS:

More time to file is not more time to pay. Requesting an extension to file provides taxpayers an additional six months (until Oct. 16) to prepare and file taxes. However, it does not provide additional time to pay taxes owed. Taxpayers should estimate and pay any owed taxes by April 18 to avoid a potential late-filing penalty. To avoid penalties and interest, pay the full amount owed by the original due date

My wife and I now travel with iPads. For the very few things that need Windows, I leave a Windows PC with a relative and use remote desktop to access it. (The interface may become even easier with a mouse.) I leave it with a relative to ensure that I can have the PC rebooted if necessary.

The most difficult parts of this are setting the router (port mapping) to allow remote access to the PC and subscribing to a dynamic DNS provider such as noip.com (to keep the IP address updated).

DW & are traveling vagabonds and have been wandering about the planet for the past 3 years. She carries an iPad mini. I carry a 13" MacBook Pro @2kg (including charger) in my 25L daypack. I see that you will have a 45L backpack/duffle plus a 25L daypack. Is it the daypack you are trying to keep under 12 kilos? I have stuffed my daypack to the gills and including my MacBook, have never come close to it weighing 12K.

Trying to keep everything under 12kg, as on some occasions I will need to combine backpack and daypack to a single item. Otherwise I would look for an 8kg / 4kg split .....

I’ve done my taxes on Turbo via iPad for years.

Are they relatively simple? I import data from Vanguard, Schwab etc and have 1099-R forms as well the infamous Foreign Taxes Paid form, the number of which I cannot recall....

oK .... suppose I just go with an iPad and figure out how to do my taxes on one or on a tablet. My 2013 iPad has a dying battery so I need to replace it.

(1). IPad or iPad Pro? For. “Non-creative” types whose primary usage would be spreadsheets and taxes, which would be less frustrating?

(2). My complaint about iPads has been file management and getting files off the iPad, given the lack of a USB drive. Not having Mouse connectivity is another issue as I do not do well with touch screens for editing. Can I get around these issues to make an iPad my laptop replacement? Bluetooth mouse?

My laptop is pretty much unused these days, I haven't travelled with it in years. The iPad has supplanted it. I suspect OS13 will just lock that in.

For taxes, if Intuit does not deliver an iPad solution with OS13, hire it done (as suggested).

oK .... suppose I just go with an iPad and figure out how to do my taxes on one or on a tablet. My 2013 iPad has a dying battery so I need to replace it.

(1). IPad or iPad Pro? For. “Non-creative” types whose primary usage would be spreadsheets and taxes, which would be less frustrating?

(2). My complaint about iPads has been file management and getting files off the iPad, given the lack of a USB drive. Not having Mouse connectivity is another issue as I do not do well with touch screens for editing. Can I get around these issues to make an iPad my laptop replacement? Bluetooth mouse?
Some of those issues plus the need for a couple of Windows apps is leading me to consider a Surface tablet for travel with a keyboard cover and BT mouse. I like the iPad but can't stand the inaccessible file system although I suspect with enough effort one could learn to get at them.

We carry a 12 inch MacBook - super compact and light, even more than Macbook Air - as well as my iPad mini when we travel. MacBook provides the full function we need - Quicken etc. I have to keep up with my banking on long trips plus store images and video. You also have and option for backups using an external drive. Generally 2 months is our travel limit.

The laptop can fit in my larger carry on purse.

The iPad mini is great too - so much more compact and lighter than full size. I first got it for travel, then ended up using it all the time. Sold the full size iPad.

Last edited:

If you’re going to buy something new in any case, then it might be time to try a Surface Pro. Given that my main activity with a tablet (mine is an iPad) is web browsing/reading, I’m sure either would work for me. If I wanted it to be more like a laptop replacement, then I’d seriously look into a Windows tablet.

New features coming in the iPadOS release this fall:

Native support for USB drives https://www.cnet.com/news/ipados-public-beta-hands-on-the-beginning-of-a-transformation/

File management (scroll down a bit) https://www.macstories.net/stories/initial-thoughts-on-ipados-a-new-path-forward/

Mouse support (has a circle instead of a pointer) and/or a pencil gives alternatives to just plain touch.

Just make sure you either have your own wifi hotspot, or you use a VPN service. You don't want to be connecting to hotel wifi to do your taxes or log into your bank's website! Tunnelbear is a decent, low-cost VPN service, although some home routers now have that built in.

Just make sure you either have your own wifi hotspot, or you use a VPN service. You don't want to be connecting to hotel wifi to do your taxes or log into your bank's website! Tunnelbear is a decent, low-cost VPN service, although some home routers now have that built in.

A big +1 on the VPN. We use Nord. Also handy when we want to stream U.S. video content from Netflix, Amazon, etc.

I would also add that unless one plans to carry their devices, i.e. iPad, laptop, whatever on their person at all times, a PacSafe may be in order as well. We've used ours routinely.

Are they relatively simple? I import data from Vanguard, Schwab etc and have 1099-R forms as well the infamous Foreign Taxes Paid form, the number of which I cannot recall....

As far as I know, the online software imports all your financial info the same way the desktop does (I use desktop because I also do returns for my Mom and our daughter, which they print and mail in). Since you don't pay the online fees until you actually file, I think you could go ahead and try redoing your 2018 return online now and see if it would be feasible to do this year's return while traveling.

Back
Top Bottom