Hi I'm Nate; Today Was My Last Day at Wo*rk and First Post

NateW

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello everyone. Well today was it, the culmination of 35 years of work. Up until 2 months ago I never really considered retiring just shy of 59; here's how it happened.

For the first 25 years I wo*ked, I made little headway in terms of retirement savings and never really thought about retiring before age 65 until about 13 years ago. Around 2007 I received a small inheritance and had it managed by a for fee financial advisor and soon realized there had to be a better way to invest and upon searching, came across Bogleheads.org and fully embraced the "live beneath your means" way of life and never looked back. Soon my wife and I were maxing out our w*rk 401ks and getting Roth IRAs each year. Still never dawned upon me to attempt to retire before 62. Then, unfortunately, after a long illness last year my mother passed, leaving most of her sizeable estate to me, me being an only child. Around the same time my w*rk became unbearable in terms of quantity of work and the office relocated and I went from an office into a 6X6 cube. DW retired a couple of years earlier, and at her request, I really looked at what we had accumulated and ran the calculations. It became suddenly apparent that I no longer had to work! That was two months ago. Last month I gave 30 days notice and today was my last day on the job.

The month leading up to today generated a lot of inquiries at Wo*k as to how I did it, and several admissions from colleagues saying they were jealous or envious. There were a lot of rumors about how I "beat the system."

DW and I plan to sell our house and move away from the big city to a place with a lower cost of living and better quality of life.

Thanks for reading.

Nate

Cool! Where are you thinking of moving?

Congratulations! That’s awesome! [emoji122] [emoji122][emoji122][emoji322][emoji898][emoji323][emoji481][emoji485]

Sorry to hear about your Mom. Great that she took care of you so that you can now do something you had never planned. Good luck!

I’m sorry for your loss but congrats on retiring. Enjoy it! :)

Congrats on your retirement and welcome to the best part of your life.

Congratulations! Please let us know the general area you relocate to. Enjoy your new adventure.

Welcome to the other side of the fence. It sometimes really is greener here! You'll see.

-BB

Last edited:
I wish you well and enjoy your retirement each and everyday.

Congratulations Nate.. July 4th will be the first day of your independence !
Wish you the best..

Up until 2 months ago I never really considered retiring just shy of 59; here's how it happened.

Around 2007 I received a small inheritance

Still never dawned upon me to attempt to retire before 62. Then, unfortunately, after a long illness last year my mother passed, leaving most of her sizeable estate to me

DW and I plan to sell our house and move away from the big city to a place with a lower cost of living and better quality of life.

Sorry about your mom.

Whenever anyone receives an inheritance, that's a good time to review your financial situation and reassess - particularly if the inheritance is substantial.

Good luck.

Welcome Nate - great first post! You have a LOT to celebrate today, huh? Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Congratulations!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! And thank you for the condolences about my mother. Her passing was a mixed blessing, because even though she left me a substantial inheritance, she was extremely abusive and I was miserable my entire life when around her. She always had to be in control. But on the other hand, she did the best she could. She also spent none of her wealth and subsisted on SS and a small pention. My son and aunt each got a sixth and I got two thirds other estate. We always told her that she needed to spend more and that she could afford to and she would reply, "I'm saving it all for you all." So I guess she felt guilty about how she treated me. God bless her; I received just over $1 million after liquidating her estate.

The funds are in CDs and that is what my wife and I will live on until we are required to take RMDs on our ample 401ks, which are invested fairly conservativly.

As for where we want to move to, we are thinking eastern Kentucky, Western North Carolina, or in the Lynchburg VA area.

I lost my mom when I was 35. Her untimely death was a big inspiration for me to retire early.

I lost my mom when I was 35. Her untimely death was a big inspiration for me to retire early.

My mom passed when I was 37, and that spurred me both to start maxing our our retirement savings and to lose 70 lbs.

She left me about a quarter of what Nate inherited, and I decided to max out our retirement savings and draw a little from the inheritance to cover our expenses for a while, rather than preserve the inherited funds. I couldn't put the money I inherited directly into either of our 401(k)s, but since money is fungible I kind of got it there anyway. By the time a majority of that money was gone we didn't need to spend the rest to keep our retirement savings maxed out.

Congratulations! So sorry for the loss of your Mom. Wait till Monday morning after your "long weekend" and you don't have to get up or set an alarm. Enjoy your new found freedom.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear about your Mom... I lost both of my parents more than a decade ago. Regardless of your relationship, she obviously loved you enough to take care of you now.

Enjoy your retirement!

Back
Top Bottom