Do threads have a max number of pages?

No limit that I am aware of. Some threads get so long that they become very slow to load so each year we close them and start a new one. e.g. "What did you do today - 2019"

I've noticed sometimes I get a notification and the most recent post is one that I've already read, so I assume someone deleted the post. (Probably the author rather than the mods, knowing this board.)

Anyway, I subscribed to that thread to see if I can figure it out. (Although for me, this comes dangerously close to w*rk, as it is pretty much what I do for my day j*b...I actually set up a phpBB instance for my client once. Good thing I really like what I do! :D )

Thanks for your efforts. The missing post showed up in the meantime, but it took several hours. Its time stamp, though, is the same as in the e-mail notification. I think there was an edit made to it, so maybe the poster removed it and later added an edited version again?

It's possible that edited posts have to be approved by a mod, although in that case I feel bad because a lot of my "quick reply" posts have had weird spacing issues the last month or two, and I've been editing a LOT of them. I'm going to try to start previewing them first, I think, to try to prevent that. But it's been years (and many versions) since I've run a vBulletin board, so I don't really know for sure.

This thread is at 244 pages, and I just received a notification of the latest post. Are you sure you were logged in when you last checked the "Share your FIRE milestones" thread? If you weren't, the forum wouldn't know you've checked it, and IIRC you are only supposed to receive one new post notification per thread, which doesn't resent until you check it while logged in, obviously.

I got the notification, but when I followed the link to see if there were more than one new post, even that one post wasn't there. Yes, I do think I was logged in.

I got the notification, but when I followed the link to see if there were more than one new post, even that one post wasn't there. Yes, I do think I was logged in.

Oh, right, sorry. I've seen that every so often, and it's not always on long (>5-10 page) threads. I'll try to check back and look for a pattern, and if I notice anything I'll post here.

Hey, there's a reason I'm in QA/BA! I get a lot of satisfaction tracking down issues! :LOL:

Posts by new members that contain links are stored in a queue until they can be checked by a moderator. Once they have a certain number of posts this restriction no longer applies.

The length of time those early posts remain in the queue is variable depending on how soon they are noticed by a mod.

So I suspect this may have been a case of a post being made by a new member that triggered the notification, but the post itself didn't appear until it was later approved by a mod.

Make sense?

Posts by new members that contain links are stored in a queue until they can be checked by a moderator. Once they have a certain number of posts this restriction no longer applies.

The length of time those early posts remain in the queue is variable depending on how soon they are noticed by a mod.

So I suspect this may have been a case of a post being made by a new member that triggered the notification, but the post itself didn't appear until it was later approved by a mod.

Make sense?

to me , it does after seeing some international forums spammed into oblivion , especially those NIC-changing mongrels ,

sadly it is not a perfect world

Back
Top Bottom