sunrise alarm clock

bobbyr

Recycles dryer sheets
hello - just retired June first and loving it so far - 60 yrs old, wife 55. I used to wake up at 4:30 for work (most productive in the morning)...now i wake up when the sun comes up and read FIRE forum instead of answering work emails

one thing i am really enjoying is that i am not exhausted from work anymore and able to divert energy and focus on home stuff that has long been delayed...we are already streamlining our expenses, something that seemed less important when i was working, but now i can focus more on eliminating $ waste and making sure our $s go to our health and high quality of life.

current income is rental properties and savings and pretty frugal living...pension probably starting next year. will pull from IRA and 401k eventually and will hold off on ss until 66.

love FIRE for info and to hear all the various opinions.

question - where do you get a list of all the acronyms on the site?

Congrats and welcome to the Free Zone. It's way more fun over here!
June 30th was 2 years for me. I am still giddy. I too relish early AM. Have coffee,enjoy the birds, and watch the sun rise while on the deck or in the screened patio (with the fur kid at my feet).

i'm just looking forward to the day I don't have to wake up at 0500 to hit the gym

I'd rather hit it when i feel like it after i sleep in a bit

Congrats and welcome to the Free Zone. It's way more fun over here!
June 30th was 2 years for me. I am still giddy. I too relish early AM. Have coffee,enjoy the birds, and watch the sun rise while on the deck or in the screened patio (with the fur kid at my feet).

Thanks to all for the responses...

I thought I would be missing work as i thought i needed to be busy...low and behold NOT TRUE.

I've had some requests for work type assistance since retiring and I have been remarkably uninterested and having an incredibly easy time saying no. In fact, the day that I stopped working I really turned off the brain/data faucet as far as work content is concerned.

I have relatives that are anxious about the fact that I am not still 'consulting' or anything similar. They are passing their own money anxieties on to me (or trying to)...I know better, no anxiety here.

Welcome and I'm eager to join you in a leisurely morning start one of these years.

For 20+ years, I got up before 6 a.m. to start work at 7 a.m. If you asked me then, I would’ve said I was a morning person.

Now that I am ER and can (usually) let my body decide, I find that I stay up later and sleep until 8:00 a.m. on most mornings.

DH still goes to bed by 10:00 p.m. and wakes up before 7:00 a.m. That leaves me some quiet time at night; he gets his quiet time in the morning while I’m still in bed.

That’s the beauty of retirement. Clocks don’t matter unless you want them to matter.

Back
Top Bottom