Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #901
gone traveling

Travel Man
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_Man
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #902
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Really liked Bodyguard and now watching Line of Duty on Hulu, by the same show creator.

Was an MD who changed his careers into screenwriting and is one of the most successful ones in the UK.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #903
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Really liked Bodyguard and now watching Line of Duty on Hulu, by the same show creator.

Was an MD who changed his careers into screenwriting and is one of the most successful ones in the UK.
Bodyguard was excellent, and I found every season of Line of Duty riveting.

FYI, Hulu only has the first four seasons of Line of Duty, while Acorn has those seasons and season five.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:50 PM   #904
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Bodyguard was excellent, and I found every season of Line of Duty riveting.

FYI, Hulu only has the first four seasons of Line of Duty, while Acorn has those seasons and season five.
I thought Bodyguard was superb. I couldn't stop watching. I normally never watch the same show twice (I already know the plot, so why bother?) but I watched Bodyguard once alone, and then with DH a couple of weeks later, as I wanted to catch everything that I missed the first time around.

I watched the first season of Line of Duty, and at least that one didn't click for me, but maybe I'll give another season a try.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:19 PM   #905
Full time employment: Posting here.

Binge-watching Messiah on Netflix. About a CIA officer investigating a mysterious man who is rapidly gaining attention and followers. Solid acting. One of the best series I've watched in a while. This is why I just can't see ever leaving Netflix, always waiting patiently for the next season to start!
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #906
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Binge-watching Messiah on Netflix. About a CIA officer investigating a mysterious man who is rapidly gaining attention and followers. Solid acting. One of the best series I've watched in a while. This is why I just can't see ever leaving Netflix, always waiting patiently for the next season to start!
Same for me with Ozark, Bodyguard, Stranger Things, etc...
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #907

Happy Valley on Netflix. I don’t usually like police dramas, but this has really drawn me in.

And I started the long-awaited Season 5 of Outlander.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:01 PM   #908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Thanks for this recommendation! I'm always looking for new British detective series, and this one stars one of my favorite actresses, Siobhan Finneran. I try to catch everything she does. Let the bingeing begin.
Have you seen her in Happy Valley? She’s good there, too.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:07 PM   #909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Have you seen her in Happy Valley? She’s good there, too.
Thanks for mentioning it! I have seen all of Happy Valley, and she was excellent in that as well.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #910

McMillions on HBO

Really fascinating look at how the McDonald's Monopoly game was infiltrated/hacked and millions of dollars in game pieces were stolen and fraudulently distributed back in the 1990s. Definitely worth watching for fans of true crime documentaries. A bit of the same feel as The Inventor, an HBO doc about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos, which we loved.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:10 AM   #911
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Happy Valley on Netflix. I don’t usually like police dramas, but this has really drawn me in.

And I started the long-awaited Season 5 of Outlander.
Almost need CC on Happy Valley I've seen a lot of the actress and that isn't her natural accent. Had trouble with pretty much the whole cast.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:16 AM   #912
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
We have been watching Corner Gas on Idmb (free, a few commercials). It is an old show, sorta like Northern Exposure. Canadian Broadcasting from 2004 to 2009.
We paced ourselves through this series and just finished it. The last show is as funny as the first--four funny men, four funny women, great writing for all. Perfect.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #913

"Better Call Saul" AMC and "Homeland" Starz. Both provide the punch I was expecting, excellent writing for Saul.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
"Better Call Saul" AMC and "Homeland" Starz. Both provide the punch I was expecting, excellent writing for Saul.
+1 Loved the first two episodes of BCS which aired last Sunday/Monday, on AMC.
Trooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #915
Give me a forum ...

AMC says Acorn TV may have lowest churn rate in the market

Quote:
During the company’s fourth quarter earnings call this week, CEO Josh Sapan said Acorn TV is now the company’s largest SVOD with more than one million subscribers. He also said the service, which offers British dramas and mysteries, may have the lowest churn rate of any service in the marketplace today.
(SVOD -- Subscription Video On Demand)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:11 PM   #916
Give me a forum ...

I've been watching Line of Duty on Hulu.

I may have to subscribe to Acorn TV if I want the latest seasons though.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #917

Is no one else going to admit they are watching Love is Blind on Netflix?

It is a terrible horrible reality show and I cannot look away.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #918
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
AMC says Acorn TV may have lowest churn rate in the market

(SVOD -- Subscription Video On Demand)
Do you think churn means keeping customers (probably) or keeping shows? I have Acorn but might add BritBox too--Acorn doesn't have the newest seasons of Vera and Shetland, for example.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #919
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Do you think churn means keeping customers (probably) or keeping shows? I have Acorn but might add BritBox too--Acorn doesn't have the newest seasons of Vera and Shetland, for example.
I thought they meant customer turnover. We subscribe to both and spend more than 50% of our viewing on these two. And it is hard to keep up... here is our current "watch list" (some we are almost caught up on) for Acorn and Britbox:

ACORN

Agatha Raisin
The delightful Ashley Jensen (Catastrophe, Ugly Betty) stars as unlikely amateur detective Agatha Raisin in this "fun cross between Bridget Jones and Midsomer Murders" (The Times). In Series 3, Agatha opens her own PI agency to uncover the killers lurking in her sleepy Cotswold village, with help from her friend Roy (Mathew Horne, Gavin & Stacey) and paramour James (Jamie Glover, Waterloo Road).

Pitching In
Daffodil Dunes is a cozy camping-park community on the scenic and serene north Wales coast. When owner Frank (Larry Lamb, Gavin & Stacey, New Tricks) announces that he plans to sell the park to an enticing estate agent (Hayley Mills, The Parent Trap, Pollyanna), his strong-willed daughter, Carys (Caroline Sheen, Les Miserables) sets out to change his mind, in this endearing family drama.

Wire in the Blood
Robson Green (Grantchester, Touching Evil) plays a clinical psychologist called in by the police to help investigate serial killers in this acclaimed mystery series based on the books by Val McDermid. Also starring Hermione Norris (MI-5) and Simone Lahbib (Loch Ness), these dark and twisty mysteries are "brilliantly edgy" (SFGate.com).

Injustice
James Purefoy (Rome) leads a distinguished cast featuring Dervla Kirwan (Ballykissangel), Charlie Creed-Miles (The Fifth Element), and Nathaniel Parker (The Inspector Lynley Mysteries) in a taut five-part thriller of murder, conspiracy, secrets, and guilt created and written by Anthony Horowitz (Foyle's War). CC Available.

Chasing Shadows
Reece Shearsmith stars as DS Sean Stone, who has an uncanny ability to identify and predict patterns of human behavior. He knows how people work, but he doesn't understand them. Alex Kingston (Doctor Who) co-stars. CC Available.

Taken Down
In this gripping Irish crime drama, when a Nigerian girl is killed, Inspector Jen Rooney (Lynn Rafferty, Ripper Street) and her team investigate a refugee community, where young mother Abeni Bankole (Aïssa Maïga, Paris, je t'aime) may know more than she lets on. After another child disappears, can the cops find the missing girl before she becomes a casualty of Dublin's dangerous underground?

Above Suspicion
Kelly Reilly (True Detective) and Ciaran Hinds (Game of Thrones) star in this riveting detective series from Prime Suspect creator Lynda La Plante. With thrilling storytelling and smoldering chemistry between Reilly and Hinds, it's "easily one of the best detective shows on the box" (Wales on Sunday, UK).

Mystery Road
Two-time Oscar nominee Judy Davis (Feud, Life with Judy Garland) and award-winning actor Aaron Pedersen (Jack Irish) star in this Acorn TV Original drama set in the Australian outback. When two boys go missing from a cattle station, Detective Jay Swan (Pedersen) teams up with local cop Emma James (Davis) to investigate. But solving the mystery could expose other crimes that haunt the remote town.

Murdoch Mysteries
A Victorian-era Toronto detective uses then-cutting edge forensic techniques to solve crimes, with the assistance of a female coroner who is also struggling for recognition in the face of tradition, based on the books by Maureen Jennings.

Hidden
When a mysterious lawyer (Thekla Reuten, In Bruges) asks solicitor Harry Venn (Philip Glenister, Life on Mars, The Level) to find a missing alibi witness for her client, he's forced to delve back into his murky past and uncover a far-reaching conspiracy in this "intelligent, pacy TV thriller" (The Telegraph) that also stars David Suchet (Poirot) and Richard Dormer (Fortitude, Game of Thrones).

Partners in Crime
Jessica Raine (Wolf Hall, Call the Midwife) and David Walliams (Little Britain) star in these delightful adaptations of Agatha Christie's Tommy and Tuppence mysteries. Set in Cold War Britain, the bickering, bantering couple find themselves embroiled in a series of mysteries and espionage plots. CC Available.

What to do When Someone Dies
In this "very superior psychological drama" (Daily Express, UK), happily married teacher Ellie (Anna Friel, Pushing Daisies, Marcella) is devasted when her husband (Marc Warren, The Good Wife) dies in a car crash--with another woman in his car. The police dismiss it as an extramarital affair, but Ellie feels certain that something is not right and determines to learn the truth about the accident.

BritBox

Vera
(Season 10) Unconventional and unadorned, Vera’s manner belies her knack for catching killers. She, along with her close-knit team, return to turn up clues and reveal the truth in four all-new cases.

Quirke
Gabriel Byrne and Michael Gambon star in this noir crime series set in 1950s Dublin. Acclaimed writer Andrew Davies adapted the series, based on Benjamin Black's popular novels.

35 Days
Season 3 • 2017 • 8 Episodes
The reading of a will sets off a series of events that uncover greed, revenge, and bitter feuds within a quiet rural community.

Scott & Bailey
Season 1 • 2011 • 6 Episodes
Moving and exciting drama series follows the lives of Janet Scott and Rachel Bailey - Detective Constables in a Manchester Major Incident Team led by the formidable DCI Gill Murray

Jonathan Creek
Season 4 • 2003 • 6 Episodes
A new sparring partner joins the master of illusion to make sense of senseless murders.

Tutankhamun
The Telegraph heralded star Max Irons' performance as "the most dashing archaeologist since Indiana Jones". This sweeping account of the discovery of King Tut's tomb also stars Sa

A Touch of Frost
Season 1 • 1992 • 3 Episodes
David Jason stars as Jack Frost - an unconventional policeman with a sympathy for the underdog and an instinct for moral justice. In this opening series, Frost finds himself leadin

Maigret
Season 1 • 2016 • 2 Episodes
Globally renowned actor Rowan Atkinson stars as Maigret in these two gripping crime stories set in 1950s Paris.

Death in Paradise
Welcome to the idyllic island of Saint Marie. With its beautiful tropical charm, you might mistake it for paradise...until you see its murder rate.

Bleak House
This acclaimed adaptation of Dickens' Victorian drama, penned by Andrew Davies, stars the incomparable Gillian Anderson as Lady Dedlock and Carey Mulligan in her first TV role.

Silent Witness
(Season 22 & 23) Pathologist Dr Nikki Alexander and her dedicated team return for a new season of solving mystifying murders with storylines ranging from knife crime to issues facing the LGBT community.

Life of Crime
Set against the backdrop of iconic moments in British history Hayley Atwell (Agent Carter) stars as an impulsive rookie cop who becomes obsessed with tracking down the killer of a

The Mrs Bradley Mysteries
The legendary Diana Rigg stars as the infamous intuitive crime-solver Mrs. Adela Bradley. Along with her resourceful chauffer George, she uses her finely hined skills of investigation to seek out the truth with characteristic style and grace.

MI-5
Welcome to the thrilling underworld of MI-5, Britain’s clandestine security service and the elite spy team who work around the clock to safeguard the nation against organized crimes, terrorist activities, embassy sieges, and so much more

Blue Murder
Exciting crime drama that blends tough murder investigations with the warmth and chaos of family life. It centres on top-ranking police detective Janine Lewis, a talented woman passionately committed to her children and her work.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:29 PM   #920

I enjoyed "Locke and Key" on Netflix.

Through one season of "Hinterland" on Netflix. I like the Scandanavian set series.

"Better Call Saul" is back on and "The Walking Dead" is back on.

Too much TV! I guess corona virus will be good for TV watching and internet use.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote