Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2020, 06:01 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Background: From a day or two before the end of the year until now I've sold about $125k worth of equities between my accounts and one for my child. In terms of the end of year sales, for DC, it was partly tax gain harvesting (in a UTMA), for me simply touching the brakes just a tiny bit in terms of equity allocation. The rest of the sales were into the rally of the last couple weeks (prior to the big selling), with the exception of selling 25K worth this past Friday.

Yesterday just before the close was my first dipping of toes into the market, I bought 100 ABBV @ 89.02. We will see, the play here is that drugs should do relatively better and ABBV has an HIV anti-viral that has been used for COVID-19 treatments.

Events like these will result in winners and losers. Perhaps many more losers than eventual winners, but there will be some. An interesting discussion might be who those (perhaps few) winners might be.

Don't get me wrong, I, like many others here have had a lot of recent pain...in my case a quick calculation tells me close to $200K worth since the market peak on 2/29/20.
Make that 02/19/20 I presume.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhickman57 View Post
Been wanting to rebalance for awhile, did it today. Was that a poor decision.
I think that depends on your goals. We whittled down our stocks after 2008 because our goal is more of a stop when we've won the game mentality than a max out the most possible earnings for our portfolio one.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:46 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Make that 02/19/20 I presume.
Yes, 2/19. Thanks.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:53 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
If you don't have an Investment Policy Statement (IPS), then write one down. That's what keeps me from doing stupid things on a whim. Like pulling out after stocks drop 6%. Without it, I would still be buying naked puts and GE stock.

Here's mine. Hasn't changed much since I first wrote it. I read it when my bonus and RSU's vest and I am debating which supercar I NEED.

Objective: $XXM in retirement savings with a paid off house.

Asset Allocation (AA): 60% stocks / 40% bonds with 25% of stocks international

Rebalance when AA gets outside of 5% or annually

Invest in very low cost index funds

Live within retirement budget and save the rest.

Do backdoor Roth for myself and wife annually. Leave in cash in traditional IRA while waiting to roll over to Roth. Wait one week to do roll over to Roth to allow funds to clear. Once in Roth, lump sum investment into total stock market index fund.

Invest maximum allowed in 401k at a rate that maximizes company match. Use 401k to manage 60/40 AA. Invest only in low cost index funds where possible in 401k.

Invest maximum allowed in 401k after tax and do a mega backdoor Roth annually. Lump sum investment into total stock market index fund.

Invest 6% into company SSP II plan to get the 6% match.

Invest a minimum of $75k annually in taxable account.

Minimize current taxes by investing only in total stock and international stock index funds in taxable account. Tax free muni bond fund up to $50k is also allowed in the taxable account. Minimize taxes by concentrating bonds in 401k.

Maximize growth in Roth accounts by investing in total stock market index funds.

Restricted Stock Units (RSU): When RSU's vest, sell immediately and invest the money in a lump sum in accordance with my Asset Allocation (AA) in my taxable retirement account.

Bonus: Invest entire bonus each year in a lump sum in accordance with my Asset Allocation (AA) in my taxable retirement account.

Military Pension: Invest 100% of pension in taxable account.

Life Ins: Maintain multiple term life policies laddered until age 78. As savings becomes sufficient to maintain DW current lifestyle with low risk, policies will be allowed to end without renewal.

Inheritance: let my wife decide what to do after waiting three months.
+3

And reason #596,386 why this board is such a tremendous resource.

Thanks for that post.
WyomingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingLife View Post
+3

And reason #596,386 why this board is such a tremendous resource.

Thanks for that post.
I just used my IPS again today. Was thinking about buying a new travel trailer but was tight on cash because we are moving. Well, I can just reduce my savings to buy the camper (not save my pension). Well, that violates the IPS so that's a nogo. So we have to wait. Darn.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
If you don't have an Investment Policy Statement (IPS), then write one down. That's what keeps me from doing stupid things on a whim. Like pulling out after stocks drop 6%. Without it, I would still be buying naked puts and GE stock.

Here's mine. Hasn't changed much since I first wrote it. I read it when my bonus and RSU's vest and I am debating which supercar I NEED.

Objective: $XXM in retirement savings with a paid off house.

Asset Allocation (AA): 60% stocks / 40% bonds with 25% of stocks international

Rebalance when AA gets outside of 5% or annually

Invest in very low cost index funds

Live within retirement budget and save the rest.

Do backdoor Roth for myself and wife annually. Leave in cash in traditional IRA while waiting to roll over to Roth. Wait one week to do roll over to Roth to allow funds to clear. Once in Roth, lump sum investment into total stock market index fund.

Invest maximum allowed in 401k at a rate that maximizes company match. Use 401k to manage 60/40 AA. Invest only in low cost index funds where possible in 401k.

Invest maximum allowed in 401k after tax and do a mega backdoor Roth annually. Lump sum investment into total stock market index fund.

Invest 6% into company SSP II plan to get the 6% match.

Invest a minimum of $75k annually in taxable account.

Minimize current taxes by investing only in total stock and international stock index funds in taxable account. Tax free muni bond fund up to $50k is also allowed in the taxable account. Minimize taxes by concentrating bonds in 401k.

Maximize growth in Roth accounts by investing in total stock market index funds.

Restricted Stock Units (RSU): When RSU's vest, sell immediately and invest the money in a lump sum in accordance with my Asset Allocation (AA) in my taxable retirement account.

Bonus: Invest entire bonus each year in a lump sum in accordance with my Asset Allocation (AA) in my taxable retirement account.

Military Pension: Invest 100% of pension in taxable account.

Life Ins: Maintain multiple term life policies laddered until age 78. As savings becomes sufficient to maintain DW current lifestyle with low risk, policies will be allowed to end without renewal.

Inheritance: let my wife decide what to do after waiting three months.
I didnt see 'fund the pool build' or 'private pilots certification' in that plan... Are you sure?
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:47 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I didnt see 'fund the pool build' or 'private pilots certification' in that plan... Are you sure?
Oh it's a burn!!!!! This thread improves!!!
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:21 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

The only market timing a do is on big down days. I bought $56k of a 500 index on Monday’s plummet and again today. I had been slowly moving from 60/40 toward 70/30 so I will likely repeat the move as we go lower. I have a suspicion that this downturn will be prolonged but who knows.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I'm hoping for a trifecta, 3 consecutive days of Dow dropping over 1000 points. As of this moment, Dow is down about 826 points today.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:48 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Friday 2/21 I moved 1/3 from growth stock index adding to my bond fund index making it 2/3 of total funds, leaving 1/3 in total stock index for now.

I’m planning to move my remaining 1/3 out of total stock index into total bond index as things get more wobbly approaching the election. If #45 wins I’ll move back into stock indexes after November after the market settles down.

Don
ddoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:07 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
My wizard machine is out for repair now so I'm unable to crank out an adequate response. Can machines get covid-19?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote